Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Chelsea confirm Hiddink as coach

Chelsea have announced that Guus Hiddink will take over as temporary coach until the end of the season.

The Premier League club have revealed that the 62-year-old Dutchman will meet the players later this week.

"The club would like to take this opportunity to thank the Russian Football Union for their understanding and cooperation," said a statement.

Hiddink, who will remain as the Russian national coach, replaces Luiz Felipe Scolari, who was sacked on Monday.

bbc.com

Blues confirm Hiddink role

Chelsea have confirmed Guus Hiddink will manage the club until the end of the season.

Hiddink will succeed Luiz Felipe Scolari at Stamford Bridge following the Brazilian's surprise sacking on Monday.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is a close friend of Hiddink and he feels the Russia coach is the right man to take over from Scolari.

Hiddink, who revealed earlier on Thursday that he was flying into England later this week, will combine his domestic duties at Chelsea with his current role as Russia boss.

The Dutchman has done the same in the past when taking charge of both PSV Eindhoven and Australia.

Hiddink will watch Saturday's FA Cup tie with Watford, with next weekend's trip to Aston Villa his first game in charge of the club.

"Chelsea Football Club is delighted to confirm Guus Hiddink will become temporary coach until the end of the season," read an official club statement.

"He is due to meet the players later this week.

"The club would like to take this opportunity to thank the Russian Football Union for their understanding and cooperation."

Hiddink insists taking up the Chelsea job will not hinder his involvement with Russia.

"We talked about it and I thought about it," Hiddink told Sky Sports News.

"It is for the period until the end of the English season.

"We are now preparing for the Azerbaijan game in March and then Finland in June, and there will be no damage for the Russian national team."

Chelsea confirm Guus Hiddink appointment

442 Staff - Today, 13:25

Chelsea have confirmed that Russia national coach Guus Hiddink will become temporary coach of the club until the end of the season.

post-16343-1234362455_thumb.jpg

A statement on the Blues's official website read: "Chelsea Football Club is delighted to confirm Guus Hiddink will become temporary coach until the end of the season. He is due to meet the players later this week.

"The club would like to take this opportunity to thank the Russian Football Union for their understanding and cooperation."

Earlier, the Dutchman had revealed that he was expecting to be in charge at Stamford Bridge next week.

The Blues only sacked Brazilian Luiz Felipe Scolari on Monday, and have been quick to make their move for the Dutchman, who has a close relationship with, Chelsea's Russian owner, Roman Abramovich.

"It's to help out a friend," Hiddink told Dutch Radio station 538. "Abramovich is doing so much for Russian football and I want to do something back.

"At the end of March there are two qualification matches, then again in June. So it is possible and at the end of the English season it's over. Within a few days I will go to London. I expect to be on the pitch next week."

Hiddink has experience of both managing a club and country at the same time, having previously coached PSV Eindhoven while helping steer Australia to the 2006 World Cup finals.

The Dutchman will not be in charge of the team for their FA Cup Fifth Round meeting with Watford on Saturday, although he will be in attendance at Vicarage Road ahead of taking over next week, and he plans to contact sacked manager Luiz Felipe Scolari to discuss the team.

"It's never enough time to prepare a team in one week but this is an exceptional situation. Chelsea have good players and they should be in top form and that should make my job easier," he told Reuters. "I haven't done it yet but I will call him [scolari] in the next day or two."

Hiddink also revealed that he has not, and does not intend to sign a contract with the club, and will not be bringing in his own assistants straight away.

"I don't have to sign one. It's not a question of money," he said. "I always want to see the situation in the team myself first before making any changes if they have to be made."

His first match as manager will be at Villa Park when the Blues, currently fourth in the Premier League, visit third-placed Aston Villa, before welcoming Juventus - and former Chelsea coach, Claudio Ranieri - to Stamford Bridge for the first-leg of the Champions League last 16.

I feel, that is the appointment they should have made in the first place. I would've liked to see him at United, possilbly....!

redrus

I dont think it would be a good move for Zola but I can really see this happening over the summer. Clarke by all accounts was a popular figure at Chelsea and was liked by the players so I am sure he would be welcomed back and if he and Zola prove over the rest of this season that they are a team thats works well together then Chelsea might just show a bit more of an interest.

think chelsea's players would probably respect zola a lot more than they did scolari and grant. plus they clearly love clarke.

that said there's a bit of dead wood to clear out. a few of chelsea's players don't look like they want to be there lately.

I dont think it would be a good move for Zola but I can really see this happening over the summer. Clarke by all accounts was a popular figure at Chelsea and was liked by the players so I am sure he would be welcomed back and if he and Zola prove over the rest of this season that they are a team thats works well together then Chelsea might just show a bit more of an interest.

That's my worry..

I think the Chelsea Boys would be able to tell us more but i was under the impression though Clarke had enough of the way he was being treated at Chelsea & i have a feeling he fancies being the main Man in a Job, specifically West Ham..

Without Clrake i think Zola to Chelsea would be a HUGE gamble for both as Zola simply needs to do his apprenticeship for at least a couple of years in my opinion & if he does it at West Ham & does as well as he has done so far, then that'll be good for us & inevitable in my opinion his then departure..

Another thing you have to consider is that if Zola was to go there, he could well lose his Hero status IF things were to go wrong ( look at how quickly it can turn sour IE Scolari ), which they could quite easily & i'm 100% sure the he would be aware of that so maybe it's not as straight forward as it the Tabloids would lead us to believe..:o

i reckon hiddink's gone in with one remit, to win the european cup. can't see chelsea winning the league now but big ears is the one that roman really wants isn't it? if hiddink could take chelsea to the european cup this season he could write his own bonus cheque i imagine.

It follows that Hiddink's appointment as an interim coach means that the Chelsea board's preferred choice isn't available until the end of the season.So who can it be?The bookmakers,who keep their collective ear very close to the ground,have come up with these odds;

Guus Hiddink.................4/5 (no value there)

Carlo Ancelotti...............9-2

Frank Rijkaard.................7-1

Robert Mancini................9-1

Jose Mourinho................10-1

Gianfranco Zola...............14-1

Avram Grant...................20-1

25-1 bar

Temporary coaches are only good until the pampered ones realise that he IS only short term and not their long term leader and guiding light.Then the rot sets in.That's why I'm not a fan of this type of appointment.

Anyway,lads,isn't this managerial lark overrated?All this talk about "needing experience before you can manage a big club like Chelsea is cobblers.Look at Guardiola at Barcelona? I mean,all a bloke needs to succeed is to;

1)Analyse and evaluate the squad you've got.

2)Play to a system to compliment the squad without any interference from the board.

3)Recognise talent and,at all costs,ignore the opinions of T.V pundits,newspapers and football forums.

4)Place that talent in a position to benefit the team(in Bosingwa's,under a tree in Hyde Park).

Now the tricky one.

5)Gain the respect of the squad by words and deeds.Preferrably, by remonstrating with those limp wristed fourth officials,sliding on your knees in your brand new three-piecer after you've scored and eyeballing the opposing manager across a glass of wine.

6)Win games.

Blimey,it's not rocket science is it?

I'm taking the 10's Jose before it goes!

don't agree at all about it being simple OG, guardiola's been at barca since he was a kid so he's steeped in the club and how it does things. i think that chelsea at the minute is almost an impossible job as you've got to not only manage a dressing room full of millionaire egos but also the interference of the owner, something that really top managers never go with - hence mourinho leaving first time around.

i've posted in this thread earlier about hiddink and i think he's been brought in with a sole remit - win the european cup at all costs. if he does, i reckon he'll leave russia and take the job fulltime in the summer. if he doesn't, i think mancini would get my bet. he's used to working with interfering club owners in italy.

don't agree at all about it being simple OG, guardiola's been at barca since he was a kid so he's steeped in the club and how it does things. i think that chelsea at the minute is almost an impossible job as you've got to not only manage a dressing room full of millionaire egos but also the interference of the owner, something that really top managers never go with - hence mourinho leaving first time around.

i've posted in this thread earlier about hiddink and i think he's been brought in with a sole remit - win the european cup at all costs. if he does, i reckon he'll leave russia and take the job fulltime in the summer. if he doesn't, i think mancini would get my bet. he's used to working with interfering club owners in italy.

Poor old Avram, he was only a Captain Marvel slip away from doing it... :o

Incredibly Childish, i know but............... :D

post-55211-1234454266_thumb.jpg

post-55211-1234454288_thumb.jpg

post-55211-1234454305_thumb.jpg

post-55211-1234454352_thumb.jpg

Edited by MSingh

Steeped in the club or not,Stevie,you've still got to have the ability,intelligence and strength of character to carry it off to impress the pampered ones.Guardiola,with no experience,has done nothing wrong and has gained the respect of all the egos probably because the two main factors in their footballing lives,money and success,are being catered for.

The problem Chelsea have got is a divided dressing room and you can bet your last baht that loafers like Drogba,Deco and Bosingwa,who felt that they had the money but were not going to have the success under that nasty Mr.Scolari,are in one camp and workers like Lampard,Terry and A.Cole,who believed they would get both,are in the other.When you've only got 50 per cent of the team playing,you cant win anything.

Hiddink has got to make them believe that success can be theirs but,only if they work as a team.

Steeped in the club or not,Stevie,you've still got to have the ability,intelligence and strength of character to carry it off to impress the pampered ones.

Yep OG.

Also, what is the qualifications of a boss of a football club nowadays? In no specific order. He has to be a mother to pampered gits who only a few years ago, dreamt of being a Premiership player and now demand all sorts of things. He has to be articulate in front of the TV cameras. He has to be a football tactician and above all, he has to convince a board of directors that his way, is the right way, in the shortest time possible.

I am absolutely positive that nowadays, potential managers, instead of being chuffed to bits about being offered a top managerial position, are more interested in their contracts in the case of being sacked than they are about anything else. And why not. Loyalty is a two way thing. It will be interesting to see how many managers Man United go through, in a short space of time, after SAF goes.

I am absolutely positive that nowadays, potential managers, instead of being chuffed to bits about being offered a top managerial position, are more interested in their contracts in the case of being sacked than they are about anything else.

Hit the nail on the head there, did you see Sven interviewed before his loss to the USA, all he talked about was his contract that he still has, then he not the press brought up about the Pompey job and he was boasting about how great it was that such a club would be interviewed with him. This man is obsessed with money and seems to win the lottery no matter how bad he fcuks up.

I am absolutely positive that nowadays, potential managers, instead of being chuffed to bits about being offered a top managerial position, are more interested in their contracts in the case of being sacked than they are about anything else.

Hit the nail on the head there, did you see Sven interviewed before his loss to the USA, all he talked about was his contract that he still has, then he not the press brought up about the Pompey job and he was boasting about how great it was that such a club would be interviewed with him. This man is obsessed with money and seems to win the lottery no matter how bad he fcuks up.

It's a managerial merry-go-round.Whenever a job becomes available,all the same old names are being touted.Why is that?Is it such a difficult job to manage and/or coach a club that there are only a select few are capable of doing the job?What it proves is that THEY can't do it because they fukc up,get their pay-off and move on to the next patsy chaiman that hires them.

Totally dominated but seriously lacked width until we conceded, changed to 4-4-2 then looked quite good! :o

Watford 1-3 Chelsea

Nicolas Anelka's hat-trick helped Chelsea fight back from a goal down to book their place in the sixth round of the FA Cup at the expense of Watford.

Tamas Priskin gave the Hornets the lead after he sprung the offside trap to dink the ball over Petr Cech.

Anelka levelled with an overhead kick from Frank Lampard's corner.

And new Blues manager Guus Hiddink was handed a winning start when Anelka headed in his second before turning and firing low for his third.

After the first 10 minutes of action it seemed that Watford would be the recipients of a heavy fifth-round beating, with Chelsea twice going close.

Salomon Kalou should have given the Premier League side a first-minute advantage but failed to commit enough to Didier Drogba's ball across the six-yard area, before Drogba, himself, stung Watford keeper Scott Loach's hands with a swerving shot from 25 yards.

The Blues' passing in those opening moments was sublime and the gulf in class could not have been more exposed, but the Hornets defence, brilliantly marshalled by Jay DeMerit, settled down and focused on blocking Chelsea's supply line which, unimaginatively, was largely coming through the centre.

Frustration began creeping into the visitors' play, who were put together for the match by assistant Ray Wilkins, and Loach's only other call to action of the half came when he had to punch away Lampard's dipping free-kick.

However, the 20-year-old shot-stopper was beaten for the first time after a one-two between Anelka and Drogba finished with Frenchman Anelka placing his low shot past Loach but on to the post.

Watford did not offer too much as an attacking force in the first 45 minutes, although Cech did have to push away Grzegorz Rasiak's far-post header from a long cross-field ball.

Brendan Rodgers' side offered even less after the interval as Chelsea turned up the heat and romped forward with Drogba testing Loach again with a low drive before seeing his goalbound drive blocked by his team-mate Ashley Cole.

So to say that Watford's goal came against the run of play would be a massive understatement.

Priskin, who had barely been on long enough to get his boots muddy, ran on to a long pass, sprung the offside trap and sent his shot in off Cech and into the empty net.

Another shock for Chelsea following their league cup exit to Burnley? It was on the cards for just six minutes before Anelka's quick-fire double turned the game around.

The first came from a Lampard corner, which was flicked on by Michael Ballack before the striker's overhead flick ended up high in Loach's goal.

Cole then found Anelka with a left-wing cross who headed his effort down and past the Watford keeper.

The comeback was complete in injury time when the French striker picked up Kalou's pass, turned and fired in a deserved third.

Watford: Loach, Hoyte, Mariappa, DeMerit, Doyley, Smith, Jenkins, Lee Williamson (Cowie 67), McAnuff, Rasiak (Priskin 66), Hoskins (O'Toole 76).

Subs Not Used: Lee, Sadler, Harley, Parkes.

Booked: O'Toole.

Goals: Priskin 69.

Chelsea: Cech, Mancienne, Alex, Ivanovic, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Ballack (Belletti 83), Mikel (Stoch 73), Kalou, Anelka, Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Di Santo, Quaresma, Ferreira, Deco.

Booked: Ashley Cole.

Goals: Anelka 75, 77, 90.

Att: 16,851

Ref: Mike Dean (Wirral).

Totally dominated but seriously lacked width until we conceded, changed to 4-4-2 then looked quite good! :o

Watford 1-3 Chelsea

Nicolas Anelka's hat-trick helped Chelsea fight back from a goal down to book their place in the sixth round of the FA Cup at the expense of Watford.

Tamas Priskin gave the Hornets the lead after he sprung the offside trap to dink the ball over Petr Cech.

Anelka levelled with an overhead kick from Frank Lampard's corner.

And new Blues manager Guus Hiddink was handed a winning start when Anelka headed in his second before turning and firing low for his third.

After the first 10 minutes of action it seemed that Watford would be the recipients of a heavy fifth-round beating, with Chelsea twice going close.

Salomon Kalou should have given the Premier League side a first-minute advantage but failed to commit enough to Didier Drogba's ball across the six-yard area, before Drogba, himself, stung Watford keeper Scott Loach's hands with a swerving shot from 25 yards.

The Blues' passing in those opening moments was sublime and the gulf in class could not have been more exposed, but the Hornets defence, brilliantly marshalled by Jay DeMerit, settled down and focused on blocking Chelsea's supply line which, unimaginatively, was largely coming through the centre.

Frustration began creeping into the visitors' play, who were put together for the match by assistant Ray Wilkins, and Loach's only other call to action of the half came when he had to punch away Lampard's dipping free-kick.

However, the 20-year-old shot-stopper was beaten for the first time after a one-two between Anelka and Drogba finished with Frenchman Anelka placing his low shot past Loach but on to the post.

Watford did not offer too much as an attacking force in the first 45 minutes, although Cech did have to push away Grzegorz Rasiak's far-post header from a long cross-field ball.

Brendan Rodgers' side offered even less after the interval as Chelsea turned up the heat and romped forward with Drogba testing Loach again with a low drive before seeing his goalbound drive blocked by his team-mate Ashley Cole.

So to say that Watford's goal came against the run of play would be a massive understatement.

Priskin, who had barely been on long enough to get his boots muddy, ran on to a long pass, sprung the offside trap and sent his shot in off Cech and into the empty net.

Another shock for Chelsea following their league cup exit to Burnley? It was on the cards for just six minutes before Anelka's quick-fire double turned the game around.

The first came from a Lampard corner, which was flicked on by Michael Ballack before the striker's overhead flick ended up high in Loach's goal.

Cole then found Anelka with a left-wing cross who headed his effort down and past the Watford keeper.

The comeback was complete in injury time when the French striker picked up Kalou's pass, turned and fired in a deserved third.

Watford: Loach, Hoyte, Mariappa, DeMerit, Doyley, Smith, Jenkins, Lee Williamson (Cowie 67), McAnuff, Rasiak (Priskin 66), Hoskins (O'Toole 76).

Subs Not Used: Lee, Sadler, Harley, Parkes.

Booked: O'Toole.

Goals: Priskin 69.

Chelsea: Cech, Mancienne, Alex, Ivanovic, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Ballack (Belletti 83), Mikel (Stoch 73), Kalou, Anelka, Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Di Santo, Quaresma, Ferreira, Deco.

Booked: Ashley Cole.

Goals: Anelka 75, 77, 90.

Att: 16,851

Ref: Mike Dean (Wirral).

How did Mancienne play and was there a more conservative approach to our game,Mr.S?

Didn't impress me Mancinenne, didn't do much wrong but didn't do a great deal to stand out..

Not the greatest Game to watch to be honest & to say Chelsea totally dominated i think is a bit harsh on Watford who battled well & were unlucky...

They should have made it 2-2 in the 89th minute & it would be a totally different outlook by Mr S if they did... :o

Steeped in the club or not,Stevie,you've still got to have the ability,intelligence and strength of character to carry it off to impress the pampered ones.

Yep OG.

Also, what is the qualifications of a boss of a football club nowadays? In no specific order. He has to be a mother to pampered gits who only a few years ago, dreamt of being a Premiership player and now demand all sorts of things. He has to be articulate in front of the TV cameras. He has to be a football tactician and above all, he has to convince a board of directors that his way, is the right way, in the shortest time possible.

I am absolutely positive that nowadays, potential managers, instead of being chuffed to bits about being offered a top managerial position, are more interested in their contracts in the case of being sacked than they are about anything else. And why not. Loyalty is a two way thing. It will be interesting to see how many managers Man United go through, in a short space of time, after SAF goes.

Agreed,BJ, but most of them are only interested in their 'after job' welfare because they know they haven't got the ability to succeed.No English manager has ever won the Premier League and you can understand why when you look at the rabble that are in charge now.These blokes continue to do the rounds with no success but Chairmen continue to get sucked in by these imposters.....and Redknapp.takes the biscuit.

Personally,I'd like to see Chelsea managed by a young,intelligent and forceful guy with fresh ideas.Michael Laudrup fits into that catagory.

Didn't impress me Mancinenne, didn't do much wrong but didn't do a great deal to stand out..

Not the greatest Game to watch to be honest & to say Chelsea totally dominated i think is a bit harsh on Watford who battled well & were unlucky...

They should have made it 2-2 in the 89th minute & it would be a totally different outlook by Mr S if they did... :o

Come on now Singha, they did try a bit harder in the second have but just at the stats, we had 70% of the possession, 21 shots on goal, 17 corners. They did play a nice through ball to get in on goal but lucky this time Cech was alert and saved well, no need for ifs and buts this time mate. OG Mancinenne played ok considering it was his Chelsea debut, he was confident enough to get involved, even took on a few players and shot just over the bar. I'm sure he will have a good future if we can get him playing more often.

Young, Intelligent with fresh ideas? dreams do come true OG! :o

Mourinho predicts Chelsea return

Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is confident he will return for a second managerial spell at the London club.

Chelsea have had three managers since Mourinho, who guided the club to two Premier League titles, left the Blues in September 2007.

"If you ask me if one day I think I'll return to Chelsea, I'll tell you yes I think so, because we were so happy together," the Inter Milan coach said.

"But when I say one day, I am not saying to you when."

Mourinho was succeeded by Avram Grant, who was subsequently sacked in May 2008, with Scolari arriving after Euro 2008.

"I'm somebody who wishes them (Chelsea) good because it's a special club for me, I have special friends there," added Mourinho, ahead of the Milan derby.

"I belong to their story, they belong to my story.

"So I am not enjoying this period where they have had several managers in one year and a few months," he added, ahead of Sunday's Milan derby.

"I am not there, I am just a supporter from the outside. I hope they find stability and go back to (winning) trophies."

Come on now Singha, they did try a bit harder in the second have but just at the stats, we had 70% of the possession, 21 shots on goal, 17 corners. They did play a nice through ball to get in on goal but lucky this time Cech was alert and saved well, no need for ifs and buts this time mate. OG Mancinenne played ok considering it was his Chelsea debut, he was confident enough to get involved, even took on a few players and shot just over the bar. I'm sure he will have a good future if we can get him playing more often.

Maybe but i still reckon you're gonna go down.. :D

& i bet we draw you in the Cup later too...