Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Wilkins - Blues not for sale

Chelsea assistant manager Ray Wilkins does not believe that Roman Abramovich is looking to sell his ownership of the club.

Recent reports have suggested the Russian billionaire is looking to end his relationship with the Blues in the wake of the ongoing worldwide credit crunch.

A German consortium headed by Dr Sulaiman al-Fahim, who led the Abu Dhabi United Group's takeover at Manchester City, is understood to be considering a bid.

But Wilkins has echoed the sentiments of chief executive Peter Kenyon in stating that Chelsea are not for sale.

"It is no-no," Wilkins told Sky Sports News when asked if he believed Abramovich was looking to sell.

"I think Roman is very keen to continue his support of Chelsea and what Peter said last weekend is the bottom line, it is not for sale."

"I think Roman is very keen to continue his support of Chelsea and what Peter said last weekend is the bottom line, it is not for sale."

So he thinks, but he's not entirely sure.

I'm hoping that Risdale is going to make a move in the coming days. :o

So he thinks, but he's not entirely sure.

I'm hoping that Risdale is going to make a move in the coming days. :o

:D

Now, now Toady. You wouldn't wish Risdale on anyone would ya :D

I'm off to the Bridge now, I'm hoping for a 5-0 victory! :o

Chelsea v Ipswich

Chelsea will again be without captain John Terry, who suffered a back spasm last weekend, while midfielder John Mikel Obi is suspended.

Michael Ballack should be fit and Didier Drogba has been recalled.

Ipswich defender David Wright will return from injury for the trip to Stamford Bridge, but Moritz Volz and Ivan Campo both miss out.

Ben Thatcher has recovered from illness and Pim Balkestein and Dan Harding will be hoping to keep their places.

Chelsea assistant coach Ray Wilkins:

"Ipswich have the fourth-best away record in their division.

"They had a fantastic win at Crystal Palace last week and have players who have played at Premiership level.

"But we're at home and the onus is on us to get after them and make it as uncomfortable for them as we can.

"We got beaten by a better side on the night with Burnley. Then against Southend we couldn't put away the second goal.

"We're back on track, we're in good form and the lads are training especially well."

Ipswich Town's assistant manager John Gorman told BBC Radio Suffolk:

"Burnley's been great for football [winning at Stamford Bridge in the Carling Cup], so it can be done.

"The good thing is we'll get a chance to play good football but at times we're going to have work our socks off to get it back off them.

"We want the fans to go there and give them something to shout about, but the reality is it's a very difficult game.

"Even though we want to win the FA Cup, and you wouldn't enter if you didn't want to win it, the league is just the most important thing."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea against Ipswich is one of six Premier League against Championship ties in the fourth round.

The Londoners, who won the cup for the fourth time in the season before last, needed a replay to overcome Southend in the last round. They will be hoping Ipswich do not become the first lower division club to knock them out since Barnsley in the quarter-finals last season.

1978 winners Ipswich have lost their last nine ties against Premier League opposition, and have not dismissed a top-flight club since Blackburn in a third round replay at Ewood Park on 16 January 1996, when Paul Mason scored the only goal of the game in extra time.

FA CUP RECORDS AND BEST PERFORMANCES

CHELSEA

Undefeated in five at home, and lost just three of the last 84 matches at the Bridge (counting their exit from the Carling Cup on penalties to Burnley as a loss).

Recent FA Cup performance

Not fallen before the fifth round for 11 seasons, since their third round elimination in 1998, at the hands of Manchester United.

The Manager

Felipe Luiz Scolari won a host of domestic silverware on three continents with his previous clubs, but this season's is his first experience of the oldest knock out competition in world football.

FA Cup fact

Seeking to extend their unbeaten home record in this competition to 15 matches, since defeat to Arsenal in the quarter-finals on 25 March 2003.

IPSWICH TOWN

The Manager

Jim Magilton has now won three FA Cup ties as a manager.

FA Cup fact

Knocked out by Premier League clubs in each of the past four seasons; Bolton, Portsmouth, Watford and Portsmouth again.

HEAD to HEAD

Chelsea are unbeaten in eight league and cup meetings with Ipswich, they have won four (including their victory on penalties in the fifth round of the Coca Cup League Cup in 1998) and drawn four since Ipswich's 1-0 home win in the Premier League on 21 August 1993.

Ipswich have not won at the Bridge for 30 years; since an odd goal in five top-flight success on 5 May 1979.

FA Cup

Met twice in the FA Cup, both at the Bridge, both won by Chelsea; 3-0 in the third round in 1968 when Alan Birchenall scored twice and Bobby Tambling got the other, and 2-0 in the fourth round in 1973 when Bill Garner got a brace.

Chelsea 3 - Ipswich 1

Chelsea booked their place in the fifth round of the FA Cup with a hard-fought 3-1 win against Ipswich.

Michael Ballack bailed the Blues out of trouble as he struck either side of an Alex Bruce equaliser, while Franck Lampard bagged a third late on.

The hosts appeared to be in complete control of the Stamford Bridge encounter as they began the game in lively fashion.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's side dominated their Championship opponents for long periods and deservedly took the lead after just 16 minutes.

Ashley Cole's inch-perfect pass put Ballack in on goal and he made no mistake in turning the ball past Richard Wright.

However, against the run of play, Ipswich levelled matters on 34 minutes when Bruce was on hand to stab home after Owen Garvin's free-kick had caused panic in the Chelsea box.

Any hopes the Tractor Boys had of causing an upset disappeared, though, on 59 minutes when Ballack curled a sublime set-piece past the stranded Wright.

Lampard then rounded off the scoring five minutes from time with a spectacular long-range effort to make the result appear more comfortable than it actually was.

Chelsea began in a confident mood and could have opened the scoring in the first minute.

Lampard found Florent Malouda with a long ball and the France winger cut inside from the left before unleashing a shot which Wright did well to save at his near post.

But there was a scare for the hosts in the sixth minute when an error from Jose Bosingwa allowed Ipswich to fashion their first chance of the game.

A cross from Jon Walters caused enough mild panic in the home defence for David Norris to nip in and head over from six yards.

In the ninth minute Ballack was guilty of a glaring miss when Nicolas Anelka found him unmarked inside the penalty area.

The Germany captain only had to find a way past goalkeeper Wright but inexplicably sent his left-footed volley wide.

Ballack made up for his miss in the 16th minute when Chelsea took the lead with a flowing three-man move.

Lampard fed Ashley Cole on the left flank and the England defender's cross was turned in by Ballack from six yards.

Ballack almost grabbed a second goal in the 20th minute but his long-range shot was high and wide.

Chelsea's inability to defend set-pieces has been one of their faults this season and they were punished again in the 34th minute when Ipswich levelled.

A free-kick from Garvan was deflected twice before hitting Ricardo Carvalho on the chest. The ball fell for Alex Bruce to fire home from close range.

Moments later Danny Haynes sent an 18-yard shot over the bar as Ipswich began to run Chelsea ragged.

Petr Cech then had to be alert to stop a shot from Tommy Miller, and Scolari's side were beginning to visibly wilt under Ipswich pressure.

Chelsea began the second half more brightly and Salomon Kalou almost found the net when he tried to curl a 20-yard shot around Wright and into the far corner.

Despite intense pressure, Chelsea could not create another clear-cut opening and Scolari replaced the ineffective Malouda with Didier Drogba in the 57th minute.

Two minutes later Ipswich's Garvan was booked for bringing down Anelka as the striker burst towards the penalty area.

The offence provided Chelsea with a chance to go back in front and Ballack punished Ipswich in style when he bent his free-kick over the defensive wall and beyond Wright for his second goal of the game.

In the 64th minute, some intricate approach play from Chelsea saw Lampard and Ballack combine to set up Kalou.

The Ivorian beat the offside trap but saw his low shot superbly saved by Wright.

Two minutes later and Ballack almost grabbed a hat-trick goal when he was invited to shoot by the Ipswich defence.

Ballack's 25-yard strike was pushed away by Wright who also managed to recover in time to save a follow-up effort from Bosingwa.

Ipswich were having to do some dogged defending as Chelsea increased the tempo.

Lampard, who had shone throughout, looked certain to make it 3-1 but his shot was deflected for a corner which Chelsea wasted.

The visitors were tiring visibly but wasted a fine chance when a cross from Bruce evaded everyone in the six-yard box.

Worringly for Chelsea, Carvalho had to be replaced by Branislav Ivanovic in the 69th minute.

But Chelsea ended Ipswich's resistance in sensational style five minutes from time when Lampard sent a 35-yard free-kick dipping into the top corner.

We certainly are having problems at the back, we have no confidence whatsoever, yet again conceding a sloppy goal. Things won't be helped by seeing Riccy walking off for treatment. I hate to say it but I think even Cech is having a confidence crisis, he hasn't been dominating his box or making great diving saves as he used to, maybe a spell on the bench would up his game and get him focused again. Luckily super Frank is still of running, at the game yesterday he didn't stop running, finished off the game with a stunning goal from 35 yards out.

We need to get shot of Drogba, Malouda and Kalou asap. Malouda was shocking yesterday, he seems to have forgot all his footballing ability, we need wingers to create goal scoring chances and he just doesn't cut the mustard.......Robinho will be signed next week, Roman will be showing his heart is still at the Bridge and splashing the cash will go someway to show that. :o

Chelsea star's drink-drive charge

The Chelsea and Nigeria player John Mikel Obi has been charged with drinking and driving.

The midfielder was arrested at 0530 GMT on Saturday on Fulham Road in west London, near to the Premier League club's ground, police said.

The player, who lives in Weybridge, Surrey, was not part of the team which beat Ipswich 3-1 at home in the FA Cup fourth round on Saturday afternoon.

He is due to appear at West London Magistrates' Court on 3 April.

BBC News

I don't believe it! Not one but two goals from set pieces.However,that was the only way we were going to score due to a stubborn Boro defence,packed midfield and our usual problem of lacking a cutting edge where it matters,in the penalty area.It's alright playing one touch possession football,in front of the opposition's defence as long as you get an end result.Unfortunately for us,only Lampard,Malouda(unlucky to have been substituted as he looked lively) and Kalou looked like unlocking the door.It's fortunate for us that Kalou is hitting some form nowAshley Cole got in behind the defence a couple of times but can't convert.Anelka was annonymous in a packed penalty area and only came to life in the second half when he was allowed some space after we got our first goal.I was interested to see how Middlesboro would react after going a goal down.Their response was woeful.

You're gonna win at Anfield tomorrow ain't you Gents ??

Do you know,Mr S,I've got this funny feeling........but can't tempt providence!

I think it's nailed on personally but what do i know about Football, when Real Madrid come to UP & sign Julien Faubert ?? :o

Edited by MSingh

I think it's nailed on personally but what do i know about Football, when Real Madrid come to UP & sign Julien Faubert ?? :o

How many games did he have for yer 'Ammers before he got that bad injury?He looked a class player when he came on last season but he was always out with something.Never quite got going for you but I thought he was good.

How many games did he have for yer 'Ammers before he got that bad injury?He looked a class player when he came on last season but he was always out with something.Never quite got going for you but I thought he was good.

Trust me P'oldgit, when i went out to the States in teh Summer for the Tour, one of the main things i wanted to see was him & Christ was i let down..Ok it was Pre Season but you can see from a Players touch, his lack of understanding etc, i called him as being Pony then & he never done anything at all to suggest he was any better than that..

He got the injury in a Pre Season Tour in Austria & looked like a star apparently in the Game before at Dagenham & Redbridge !! :D

I thouhgt that was about his level to be honest but i think with the fella, one of his main assets was pace & after rupturing his achillies it played on his mind constantly cos i saw him get beaten by Andy Griffin for pace at Xmas & he's on a par with Claire Raynor when sprinting, it was if he was afraid of sprinting again just in case...

This is one of the of the strangest transfers i've EVER known in my life, hand on heart...

i was surprised at chelsea, they didn't look like they ever wanted to win the match. lampard's red card was soft and i thought mike riley had a poor game, but it seemed like only really terry, alex and maybe mikel turned up. drogba's a waste of space nowadays too.

That's it for this season,as far as winning the Premier League is concerned.Too drop that many points against Liverpool,Man. Utd. and Arsenal is not champion winning form.At the moment, we have an ageing ponderous midfield who were always a yard off the pace.Are Ballack,Deco and Lampard as good now as they were three years ago?The answer is no.(Essien has been badly missed). A toothless attack with Anelka just a shadow of the player he was at the start of the season.The defence,with the exception of Bosingwa who is an inept tackler,is very good although Terry isn't getting any younger and it shows sometimes with a quicksilver forward like Torres.Liverpool were quicker to the ball and without some great defence from Alex,would have been away and gone well before the Lampard dismissal, a terrible decision by Riley.The art of tackling will be a thing of the past if the F.A. don't address this.

Scolari has learned some harsh lessons this season,one of which is you do not sign players who are incapable of adapting to the pace of the Premier League.Of all the players that were supposedly available from Barcelona,Deco was the one player I did not want due to his age and lack of pace.Scolari's inactivity in the January window,tells me that all is not well at boardroom level.Abramovich has been conspicuous by his absence at games.

I would like to see some of the younger generation start games.Mancienne,Stoch and Di Santo should be given a chance to play a full match and Sinclair needs to be given a chance.We must add some speed into the set up.I apologise to other Chelsea fans on the Forum if I appear negative,but,until we face some hard facts about our team,we will continue to be in the shadow of Northern Domination.

That's it for this season,as far as winning the Premier League is concerned.Too drop that many points against Liverpool,Man. Utd. and Arsenal is not champion winning form.At the moment, we have an ageing ponderous midfield who were always a yard off the pace.Are Ballack,Deco and Lampard as good now as they were three years ago?The answer is no.(Essien has been badly missed). A toothless attack with Anelka just a shadow of the player he was at the start of the season.The defence,with the exception of Bosingwa who is an inept tackler,is very good although Terry isn't getting any younger and it shows sometimes with a quicksilver forward like Torres.Liverpool were quicker to the ball and without some great defence from Alex,would have been away and gone well before the Lampard dismissal, a terrible decision by Riley.The art of tackling will be a thing of the past if the F.A. don't address this.

Scolari has learned some harsh lessons this season,one of which is you do not sign players who are incapable of adapting to the pace of the Premier League.Of all the players that were supposedly available from Barcelona,Deco was the one player I did not want due to his age and lack of pace.Scolari's inactivity in the January window,tells me that all is not well at boardroom level.Abramovich has been conspicuous by his absence at games.

I would like to see some of the younger generation start games.Mancienne,Stoch and Di Santo should be given a chance to play a full match and Sinclair needs to be given a chance.We must add some speed into the set up.I apologise to other Chelsea fans on the Forum if I appear negative,but,until we face some hard facts about our team,we will continue to be in the shadow of Northern Domination.

I still have you for second place come the end of the year. Also, anything can happen in the Champions League.

I still have you for second place come the end of the year. Also, anything can happen in the Champions League.

:o 'course you do. agree about the european cup as well, i can't really look beyond one of about five clubs to win it and chelsea is one of them.

:D 'course you do. agree about the european cup as well, i can't really look beyond one of about five clubs to win it and chelsea is one of them.

With almost the same set of players,we couldn't win it last year so I don't see any hope there :o .Usually,when there is a surprise,it's from a group of players that nobody knows anything about

With almost the same set of players,we couldn't win it last year so I don't see any hope there :o .Usually,when there is a surprise,it's from a group of players that nobody knows anything about

don't get me wrong man but from the outside looking in it looks like the players have no faith in scolari. which isn't that surprising as the man's never managed a top club.

but for the CL, united, us, chelsea, madrid, barca. can't see anyone else upsetting the applecart. though i think juve will test you lot.

don't get me wrong man but from the outside looking in it looks like the players have no faith in scolari. which isn't that surprising as the man's never managed a top club.

but for the CL, united, us, chelsea, madrid, barca. can't see anyone else upsetting the applecart. though i think juve will test you lot.

Drogba certainly has no faith.There was a point in the game where he picked up the ball about 35 yards out from the Liverpool goal.The old Drogba would have burst forward,riding a couple of tackles but the new Drogba decided to nonchantly clip it into the penalty area where Kalou was surrounded by defenders,then stroll after it with an air of indifference.A total waste of money and space.This bloke needs to be given the boot.

Quaresma signs on loan

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce that we have signed Inter Milan winger Ricardo Quaresma on loan until the end of the season. The Premier League have confirmed the deal.

Quaresma joins us as the sixth Portuguese player in the first team squad, following the summer arrivals of José Bosingwa and Deco, who have also worked under manager Luiz Felipe Scolari at international level.

The 25-year-old winger can play on either flank, with his qualities of speed and finesse a regular problem for opposing defences.

Born in Lisbon on September 26, 1983, Ricardo Andrade Quaresma Bernardo began his career with local club Sporting, making his debut as a 17-year-old.

While at Sporting, he worked his way into the first team and became a regular during the championship-winning 2001/02 season alongside Cristiano Ronaldo.

He made 59 league appearances in two seasons, scoring eight goals, before Barcelona approached for his services in the summer of 2003, paying six million Euros to secure his signature.

His time at the Catalan club yielded only a handful of starts, and an injury towards the end of the season saw the youngster miss out on Euro 2004 in his home country. Following the tournament, he returned to Portugal with Porto, just as Deco was heading to Barcelona.

He quickly settled, scoring in the 2004 Uefa Super Cup defeat against Valencia, and was regarded during his four-year stay at Porto as one of the league's most potent weapons.

Quaresma's form in the 2005/06, 2006/07 and 2007/08 campaigns helped seal a succession of league championships, and regular Champions League football.

He is no stranger to Stamford Bridge, having played four times as a Porto player against the Blues, twice in 2004/05 and twice again two years later.

In March 2007, Quaresma opened the scoring at the Bridge, before goals from Arjen Robben and Michael Ballack sealed our progression into the quarter-finals.

After 124 league appearances and 24 goals, Quaresma was bought by Inter Milan last summer, one of José Mourinho's first signings for the club.

Now, the 5'8 playmaker has the opportunity to rekindle his relationship with Scolari, who utilised his services in Euro 2008, where he scored the most recent of his three international goals, in a 3-1 win over Petr Cech's Czech Republic side.

Quaresma becomes our first and only signing of the winter transfer window, and will stay with us until the end of the season.

Did anyone watch him for Inter in the Game against Torino on Sat/Sun ??

He made Malouda look liek a good Player.. :o

However Quaresma is one of my favourite Players when he's playing well, direct, pacey skillful & he's got Goals in him..

IF it comes off you will have a great Player at the Club who i suppose will replace cole for the rest of the Season but if Quaresma doesn't fancy it, think Malouda but worse, x 10.. :D