Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

bloody hel_l oldgit, buffon's only 30!

nedved's been out injured lately so they've been playing a young lad called de ceglie in place of him who is very highly-rated. giovinco's a smashing little player as well. and amauri's banging goals in for them this season. i can see them giving you problems.

I'm doing Buffon a disservice but it does seem that he's been around for decades.With goalkeepers,though, age doesn't matter too much.

I've seen Amauri play and he reminds me of a Kevin Kuranyi type of centre forward.Strong,robust and direct.It will be a toughie because Ranieri will be desperate to prove a point.

How is it,though,that the older generation such as Maldini,Inzaghi,Totti and Panucci to name but a few,are still able to strut their stuff in Serie A? Is it because of the less hectic pace of the Italian League or do these blokes actually look after themseves a bit more than their British counterparts?

I can't quite imagine any of those boys getting lagging drunk and pissing it up the wall!

I'm doing Buffon a disservice but it does seem that he's been around for decades.With goalkeepers,though, age doesn't matter too much.

I've seen Amauri play and he reminds me of a Kevin Kuranyi type of centre forward.Strong,robust and direct.It will be a toughie because Ranieri will be desperate to prove a point.

How is it,though,that the older generation such as Maldini,Inzaghi,Totti and Panucci to name but a few,are still able to strut their stuff in Serie A? Is it because of the less hectic pace of the Italian League or do these blokes actually look after themseves a bit more than their British counterparts?

I can't quite imagine any of those boys getting lagging drunk and pissing it up the wall!

i think it's very much down to the two things you mention, slower, less physical pace of the game in serie a plus the players do look after themselves a bit better. plus milan's milanello training ground is famous for its forward-thinking techniques, they've been using fitness analysis software for years that has contributed to the likes of costacurta, maldini, inzaghi etc having extended careers.

if you want a decent book to read on the subject, get hold of 'the italian job' by luca vialli and gabriele marcotti.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Italian-Job-Gianlu...7079&sr=8-2

I'm gona be away for a week now so I'm wishing all my fellow footy fans a very Merry Christmas and I hope all your respective teams do a lot worse than us! :D

got a plumbing job in Plumstead? :D hope you don't mind if we man the thread whilst you're on the assignment .... promise we won't mess it up :o

I'm gona be away for a week now so I'm wishing all my fellow footy fans a very Merry Christmas and I hope all your respective teams do a lot worse than us! :D

got a plumbing job in Plumstead? :D hope you don't mind if we man the thread whilst you're on the assignment .... promise we won't mess it up :o

Plumbing? the only plumbing I do mate is sorting out your birds water works! I will leave Oldgit in charge, no doubt he will take care of you! :D

Plumbing? the only plumbing I do mate is sorting out your birds water works! I will leave Oldgit in charge, no doubt he will take care of you! :D

with that nick it makes a perfect foil for your plumbing activities :D .... not much fun spending Xmas squat under a sink in a council flat in Plumstead, tough job but someone has to do it. We feel for ya .... hey olgit wot 'bout we rename the thread Ken Bates Blog? :wai:

with that nick it makes a perfect foil for your plumbing activities :D .... not much fun spending Xmas squat under a sink in a council flat in Plumstead, tough job but someone has to do it. We feel for ya .... hey olgit wot 'bout we rename the thread Ken Bates Blog? :wai:

No need to drag the Chelsea saviour's name into this! :P I will have you know I'm gona be very far away from any council flats from tomorrow onwards. I will hand it to you though, you have guessed the correct 1st letter of my career and its not Plumbing.

No need to drag the Chelsea saviour's name into this! :P I will have you know I'm gona be very far away from any council flats from tomorrow onwards. I will hand it to you though, you have guessed the correct 1st letter of my career and its not Plumbing.

:jerk: I think Leeds fan will take a different views on Ken abilities .... P? would that be .... lonker? :burp: joking mate. Merry Christmas to you and all here

C'mon,Sarge.You're only a guest on this forum so stop throwing your weight around. :P

Everton 0 v Chelsea 0

An utterly forgetful match of which the only topic of conversation would be John Terry's direct red card.In todays climate,it was a bit harsh but probably justified.Everton's formation of 4-5-1 highlighted their intent from the start,with Cahill as the lone,makeshift striker while Chesea adopted a much more attacking 4-1-3-2 with Joe Cole supporting Anelka up front.An Ashley Cole volley after 2 minutes,which Howard tipped over,did not signal a Chelsea onslaught as Everton packed their midfield and made it difficult to find a way through.It was like the same problems Chelsea have encountered at Stamford Bridge all season.Whehever they could,Everton counter attacked but,too often Cahill found himself isolated.

This all changed with JT's shin high tackle on Osman.You couldn't argue with the substitutions at half time,with Ivanovic and Drogba coming on for J. Cole and Anelka as Everton decided to play like the home side and pushed Fellaini alongside Cahill.Even with ten men, Chelsea coped well and,although Pienaar forced the ball over the line 5 minutes before the end,he was in an offside position as well as kicking the ball out of Cech's hands so it was disallowed.

not many sides will win at goodison this season. thought terry's red card was absolutely fair enough really.

Alex was also fortunate not to receive his marching orders after stamping(too strong a term,maybe laying his foot) on Cahill's chest.Sometimes, I think some of these players have got a screw loose.A ridiculous impetuous act which could have resulted in BOTH our central defenders being sent off.

Alex was also fortunate not to receive his marching orders after stamping(too strong a term,maybe laying his foot) on Cahill's chest.Sometimes, I think some of these players have got a screw loose.A ridiculous impetuous act which could have resulted in BOTH our central defenders being sent off.

there are rumours that the FA will look at the alex incident post-match and might ban him. you're right, downright stupidity from both of them really.

when's carvalho back by the way?

there are rumours that the FA will look at the alex incident post-match and might ban him. you're right, downright stupidity from both of them really.

when's carvalho back by the way?

They want to give him as much time as possible as he's had a spate of niggling injuries.Cant see him being available until the early New Year.

works for me man, your back line just isn't the same without him. brilliant defender.

I remember when Gallas left,there were Chelsea fans crying in the street because there was no one to fill the void and I'm thinking 'What is Carvalho,a lump of <deleted> or something?'I agree with you,Stevie,a great defender

I remember when Gallas left,there were Chelsea fans crying in the street because there was no one to fill the void and I'm thinking 'What is Carvalho,a lump of <deleted> or something?'I agree with you,Stevie,a great defender

and he's professional, just gets on with it. i also like him because a couple of years back the chelsea players released a CD with each of their favourite songs on it and amongst all the usual footballers' luther vandross, phil collins and whitney houston crap was carvalho with the stone roses' fool's gold. top man.

and he's professional, just gets on with it. i also like him because a couple of years back the chelsea players released a CD with each of their favourite songs on it and amongst all the usual footballers' luther vandross, phil collins and whitney houston crap was carvalho with the stone roses' fool's gold. top man.

Did he now?That's a another tick in the Carvalho box.

Slightly off topic,when I was in England a couple of months ago,I saw Paul Whitehouse do a sketch where he was the manager of a multi-national team in the Premier League.It was a follow on from his very funny Julio Geordio sketch a few years ago.It was hilarious.Anybody else catch it?

Slightly off topic,when I was in England a couple of months ago,I saw Paul Whitehouse do a sketch where he was the manager of a multi-national team in the Premier League.It was a follow on from his very funny Julio Geordio sketch a few years ago.It was hilarious.Anybody else catch it?

presume that would have been on the lamentable 'harry and paul' show mate? i used to like whitehouse in his fast show days.

presume that would have been on the lamentable 'harry and paul' show mate? i used to like whitehouse in his fast show days.

Yeah,that's the show.Agreed some of the sketches were dire.The Fast Show wasn't consistently funny either but I suppose its difficult when you have to produce top class comedy week in,week out.Paul Whitehouse's talent was there for all to see though.

Chelsea 2 v West Brom 0

Chelsea quickly stamped their authority with a well placed headed goal from Drogba via a Joe Cole cross.From then on,it reminded me of a training ground 11-a-side with West Brom posing very little threat.Chelsea did their best to bring them into the game by missing several chances and squandering good positional play with poor crosses from Bosingwa and Ashley Cole.Bosingwa,in particular,absolutely creamed Robinson time after time but the end product was zero.

Just before the half time whistle,Lampard made it two with a deft chip after a foray into the box by Ashley Cole.Drogba was a threat from the start until he was substituted and looks like he is on his way back.Scolari had had enough of Bosingwa's wastefulness and substituted him with Belletti at half time.Early in the second half Tony Pullis brought on Luke Moore for the ineffective Beattie and also added Bednar to the attack.This prompted a spell of pressure from the Baggies and it was only a fantastic block from Alex that denied Robinson's goal bound shot.After that,it was all Chelsea again with Anelka going close on a number of occasions,but his shots lacked venom.

Chelsea had an easy afternoon against a toothless West Brom but it will be infinitely harder at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

Scolari must now address the lack of real pace in the side,especially in midfield.It will mean either Kalou,Malouda or Scott Sinclair stepping up to the plate or pulling someone else in during the January transfer window.

Thanks for keeping things going in my absence Oldgit :o

Fulham 2-2 Chelsea

A last-gasp header from Clint Dempsey dented Chelsea's title charge as Fulham snatched a 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage.

The American rose highest from Simon Davies' corner in the 89th minute to grab his second goal of the game after two Frank Lampard strikes looked enough to earn Chelsea the three points.

Dempsey started and finished the scoring after earlier prodding in his second goal in consecutive home games when Chelsea failed to deal with Davies' free-kick on 10 minutes.

However, Chelsea hit back after the break with Lampard seizing on a collision between Mark Schwarzer and Aaron Hughes to level matters on 50 minutes.

And on 74 minutes, with Chelsea bombarding the Fulham goal, Lampard stepped up to rifle a 30-yard free-kick past Schwarzer to put the Blues into a deserved lead.

However, with the clock ticking down, Dempsey arrived on cue to send the home fans into raptures and extend Fulham's remarkable unbeaten run to nine games.

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari decided to start with Nicolas Anelka on the bench and Didier Drogba caused Fulham all sorts of problems in the opening stages.

Florent Malouda fed the Ivorian striker with a delicate reverse ball but Drogba drove his shot into the side-netting, wide of the near post.

Chelsea full-back Jose Bosingwa was frustrated to concede a free-kick for a foul on Andrew Johnson - and Fulham took full advantage to take a 10th-minute lead.

John Obi Mikel failed to deal with Davies' curling free-kick as it bounced at the far post and Dempsey controlled the ball on his chest before flicking it past Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech.

Drogba worked space in the Fulham box with a neat turn past Hughes to slide his shot between Schwarzer's legs and was unfortunate to see the ball roll agonisingly wide.

Chelsea were laying siege to the Fulham box. Hughes did well to shepherd the ball out for a corner when Drogba latched onto a knock-down from Malouda.

Malouda was replaced by Anelka after half an hour and his first touch teed up a stinging drive from 25 yards that Schwarzer could only parry clear off his thigh.

Chelsea's reshuffle saw Joe Cole pushed into a more advanced role on the right and they continued to dominate possession but Fulham were bright on the ball and Cech needed to intercept a low cross from Bobby Zamora before Dempsey could pounce again.

Chelsea then made their second change with Alex replaced after 36 minutes by Ricardo Carvalho, who returned to action after nearly three months out with a knee injury.

Bosingwa teed up Lampard for another strike from outside the box and Schwarzer did well to scramble across and push it behind for a corner.

Fulham were under pressure right from the restart with Brede Hangeland and then Dickson Etuhu forced into vital rearguard action as Drogba linked with Cole down the left flank.

Four minutes into the second half the pressure finally told as Lampard pounced on a mix-up between Hughes and Schwarzer to put Chelsea level.

Hughes, retreating towards his own goal to deal with Deco's lofted ball and under pressure from Drogba, collided with Schwarzer and Lampard was able to slot the loose ball home.

Chelsea ramped up the pressure further. Lampard's pin-point 50-yard ball bisected Hughes and John Pantsil to find Drogba who took one touch but then rifled his shot over the bar.

Chelsea switched their point of attack to Cole, who forced Schwarzer to make two sharp saves in the space of a minute as Fulham continued to be stretched.

But there was no hint of Fulham, driven by the industrious Dempsey and Danny Murphy in midfield, trying to hold on for the draw and when Pantsil cut inside his left-foot shot flew just wide of Cech's near post.

Chelsea fans booed the substitution of Cole but they were soon cheered as Lampard rifled a free-kick through a gap in the Fulham wall and under Schwarzer's dive to put Chelsea 2-1 up.

But Fulham refused to roll over and with the clock ticking down earned one final chance - and once again Chelsea were found wanting at a set-piece.

Dempsey rose highest to meet the corner and directed his header inside the unguarded far post.

There was more drama to come as Chelsea piled forward in search of an injury-time winner but Schwarzer pulled off a brilliant save to deny Cole and then Lampard's shot appeared to hit the arm of Pantsil.

Thanks for keeping things going in my absence Oldgit :D

Fulham 2-2 Chelsea

A last-gasp header from Clint Dempsey dented Chelsea's title charge as Fulham snatched a 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage.

The American rose highest from Simon Davies' corner in the 89th minute to grab his second goal of the game after two Frank Lampard strikes looked enough to earn Chelsea the three points.

Dempsey started and finished the scoring after earlier prodding in his second goal in consecutive home games when Chelsea failed to deal with Davies' free-kick on 10 minutes.

However, Chelsea hit back after the break with Lampard seizing on a collision between Mark Schwarzer and Aaron Hughes to level matters on 50 minutes.

And on 74 minutes, with Chelsea bombarding the Fulham goal, Lampard stepped up to rifle a 30-yard free-kick past Schwarzer to put the Blues into a deserved lead.

However, with the clock ticking down, Dempsey arrived on cue to send the home fans into raptures and extend Fulham's remarkable unbeaten run to nine games.

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari decided to start with Nicolas Anelka on the bench and Didier Drogba caused Fulham all sorts of problems in the opening stages.

Florent Malouda fed the Ivorian striker with a delicate reverse ball but Drogba drove his shot into the side-netting, wide of the near post.

Chelsea full-back Jose Bosingwa was frustrated to concede a free-kick for a foul on Andrew Johnson - and Fulham took full advantage to take a 10th-minute lead.

John Obi Mikel failed to deal with Davies' curling free-kick as it bounced at the far post and Dempsey controlled the ball on his chest before flicking it past Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech.

Drogba worked space in the Fulham box with a neat turn past Hughes to slide his shot between Schwarzer's legs and was unfortunate to see the ball roll agonisingly wide.

Chelsea were laying siege to the Fulham box. Hughes did well to shepherd the ball out for a corner when Drogba latched onto a knock-down from Malouda.

Malouda was replaced by Anelka after half an hour and his first touch teed up a stinging drive from 25 yards that Schwarzer could only parry clear off his thigh.

Chelsea's reshuffle saw Joe Cole pushed into a more advanced role on the right and they continued to dominate possession but Fulham were bright on the ball and Cech needed to intercept a low cross from Bobby Zamora before Dempsey could pounce again.

Chelsea then made their second change with Alex replaced after 36 minutes by Ricardo Carvalho, who returned to action after nearly three months out with a knee injury.

Bosingwa teed up Lampard for another strike from outside the box and Schwarzer did well to scramble across and push it behind for a corner.

Fulham were under pressure right from the restart with Brede Hangeland and then Dickson Etuhu forced into vital rearguard action as Drogba linked with Cole down the left flank.

Four minutes into the second half the pressure finally told as Lampard pounced on a mix-up between Hughes and Schwarzer to put Chelsea level.

Hughes, retreating towards his own goal to deal with Deco's lofted ball and under pressure from Drogba, collided with Schwarzer and Lampard was able to slot the loose ball home.

Chelsea ramped up the pressure further. Lampard's pin-point 50-yard ball bisected Hughes and John Pantsil to find Drogba who took one touch but then rifled his shot over the bar.

Chelsea switched their point of attack to Cole, who forced Schwarzer to make two sharp saves in the space of a minute as Fulham continued to be stretched.

But there was no hint of Fulham, driven by the industrious Dempsey and Danny Murphy in midfield, trying to hold on for the draw and when Pantsil cut inside his left-foot shot flew just wide of Cech's near post.

Chelsea fans booed the substitution of Cole but they were soon cheered as Lampard rifled a free-kick through a gap in the Fulham wall and under Schwarzer's dive to put Chelsea 2-1 up.

But Fulham refused to roll over and with the clock ticking down earned one final chance - and once again Chelsea were found wanting at a set-piece.

Dempsey rose highest to meet the corner and directed his header inside the unguarded far post.

There was more drama to come as Chelsea piled forward in search of an injury-time winner but Schwarzer pulled off a brilliant save to deny Cole and then Lampard's shot appeared to hit the arm of Pantsil.

No probs,Mr.S,and I hope you had a good holiday across the water. :o

Another example of Chelsea snatching a draw from the jaws of victory.Dempsey's first goal should never have stood as he shoved Mikel in the back before prodding it home.Abyssmal defending in the last minute when we were in front.Fulham had one corner and scored from it while we had seven and never looked like scoring.Lampard,for all his excellence should be banned from taking corners.Those weedy,floaters into the penalty area were food and drink for Swartzer.

Another example of Chelsea snatching a draw from the jaws of victory.Dempsey's first goal should never have stood as he shoved Mikel in the back before prodding it home.Abyssmal defending in the last minute when we were in front.Fulham had one corner and scored from it while we had seven and never looked like scoring.Lampard,for all his excellence should be banned from taking corners.Those weedy,floaters into the penalty area were food and drink for Swartzer.

lampard's corners were still not a patch on deco booting it straight at the ten-yards-away andy johnson twice. :o