FREE TV setups. dvb-t2 vs Free SAT info

BeefSlapper

Hi, looking to install free, no monthly fee tv in gf parents house.

Whats good ?

I thought dvb-t2 boxes are thing to go for, but from my little research i see that sat dish be better + box = HD

Went to one store to see what they got.

Thay said best thing is HD Slim box http://www.gmmz.tv/news_detail.php?id=147

They install that box + dish for 3500 1 room

2 rooms 5500

Only box was like 1200 or 1300

Any one know about this free tv boxes ?

Thanks

That is a combined C/Ku band satellite receiver from GMM - I have several of there more expensive models and they work fine but do not provide the number of channels on C band that PSI units do. PSI is the largest upcountry supplier AFAIK so I would go with them and use a C-band antenna for free service as about 3 times the number of stations available and much less rain/cloud issues (signal is much stronger).

http://www.psi.co.th/

We have 3 of these units and all have been working fine for last year or two.

psi_o2x-1.jpg

That is a combined C/Ku band satellite receiver from GMM - I have several of there more expensive models and they work fine but do not provide the number of channels on C band that PSI units do. PSI is the largest upcountry supplier AFAIK so I would go with them and use a C-band antenna for free service as about 3 times the number of stations available and much less rain/cloud issues (signal is much stronger).

psi_o2x-1.jpg

Confusing

So that box i posted good or not?

That whole shop is PSI branch i think, they got PSI van.

They had PSI boxes I pointed and asked whats best she said box i mentioned best and HD

And I think PSI was cheaper too.

price list pic

d8a0a1683efc218a725674d92f9c9a75.jpg

533ff9f7a37cf3cd3c5dce78ac8bac47.jpg

So you say PSI 3 times more channels

But I go with quality not quantity tho.

Wheres better channels and some eng?

Cheers

My new tv supports dvb-t2 out of the box. I have bought an antenna and a booster and it worked perfectly upon first setup. Then ch7 (my gf's favourite channel) fell away and even I changed the position of the antenna a thousand times, it refuses to come back upon re-tuning. Now use Ilikehd free Thai tv which is flaky at best. It seems at 299 baht per month the true vision package is best.

My new tv supports dvb-t2 out of the box. I have bought an antenna and a booster and it worked perfectly upon first setup. Then ch7 (my gf's favourite channel) fell away and even I changed the position of the antenna a thousand times, it refuses to come back upon re-tuning. Now use Ilikehd free Thai tv which is flaky at best.

Yeh got that app.

I just got new 4K LG tv wonder if that got dvb build in.

LG 55UF850T

Sorry - was trying to say C band is 3 times more channels than Ku band.

PSI has about 50 or so more channels on C band than GMM.

They all have the same Thai/India/Asia free to air channels - you are not going to find English channels.

Both GMM/PSI tuners work and have HD models and probably about the same price but appears they advertise the old non HD model for PSI. Current model is PSI S2 HD and only costs 599 baht from Lazada. I would go with company that supplies the added channels unless looking to use Ku band and pay service for extra channels.

Edit: now see they have the new model on your second add at same cost as GMM - so for me the PSI would be better choice - not sure why they say GMM but fear it may not be for quality reasons.

Sorry - was trying to say C band is 3 times more channels than Ku band.

PSI has about 50 or so more channels on C band than GMM.

They all have the same Thai/India/Asia free to air channels - you are not going to find English channels.

Both GMM/PSI tuners work and have HD models and probably about the same price but appears they advertise the old non HD model for PSI. Current model is PSI S2 HD and only costs 599 baht from Lazada. I would go with company that supplies the added channels unless looking to use Ku band and pay service for extra channels.

So would be them both boxes same same as they both C band compatibile? and GMM got Ku band on top of it?

And what is KU band? is it free or paid channels?

Not interested in paid ones.

I use IPTV for it already, that tv is for thai gf fam, not for me.

And I just see my TV is DVB-T2, what channels you get on that? may b I should just get antena for DVB-T2 instead

thx

DVB-T2 is about 36 channels with almost half government education broadcasts. It is not available everywhere as need to be fairly close to transmission source without too many obstructions. Much better to use Satellite as you get those channels and hundreds more at almost no difference in cost, unless living inside city.

Ku band is higher frequency that the small solid 60cm dish is used to receive. Come from same satellites but much more outage during rain and only about 80 normal stations. But CTH provides pay channels on this band.

Both box can be used for either C band or Ku band but only one at a time.

My new tv supports dvb-t2 out of the box. I have bought an antenna and a booster and it worked perfectly upon first setup. Then ch7 (my gf's favourite channel) fell away and even I changed the position of the antenna a thousand times, it refuses to come back upon re-tuning. Now use Ilikehd free Thai tv which is flaky at best. It seems at 299 baht per month the true vision package is best.

sniffdog can you please tell me about the "booster" you bought, make, model ,price and where you bought it.

The problem of CH7 disappearing could be due to water getting into the Coax or some local interference, fluorescent lights and other electronics can cause problems too,have you tried changing the cable for some more expensive stuff ?

Also there are certain whether conditions ( more prevalent in the tropics ? ) that can cause the terrestrial signal to fluctuate wildly

maybe when you got CH7 you where pointing at a very distant transmitter during a "lift" period where signals can travel for hundreds of kilometres but normally only travel a 20 -60 Kms try the transmitter locating website ( posted below ) to see if you are pointing to the nearest one.

BeefSlaper you don't say where your gf parents house is located in the country

DVB-T2 is still being rolled out not all locations are covered yet but you can check on this website.

http://dtvservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webpeople/

zoom the map to your location then click on the blue white teardrop icon on the top right of the page then click onto your precise location on the map and it should show you details of the nearest transmitter with compass bearing and exact transmitter location as well as the all important frequencies.

C band needs a big dish not good at certain locations ( on a condo balcony ) KU band can use smaller dishes but is badly affected by the rain

IPTV needs a good internet connection and some hunting around to find a cheep/free and or reliable provider of streamed content.

DVB-T2 is about 36 channels with almost half government education broadcasts. It is not available everywhere as need to be fairly close to transmission source without too many obstructions. Much better to use Satellite as you get those channels and hundreds more at almost no difference in cost, unless living inside city.

Ku band is higher frequency that the small solid 60cm dish is used to receive. Come from same satellites but much more outage during rain and only about 80 normal stations. But CTH provides pay channels on this band.

Can u switch between bands in box options?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sniffdog can you please tell me about the "booster" you bought, make, model ,price and where you bought it.

The problem of CH7 disappearing could be due to water getting into the Coax or some local interference, fluorescent lights and other electronics can cause problems too,have you tried changing the cable for some more expensive stuff ?

Also there are certain whether conditions ( more prevalent in the tropics ? ) that can cause the terrestrial signal to fluctuate wildly

maybe when you got CH7 you where pointing at a very distant transmitter during a "lift" period where signals can travel for hundreds of kilometres but normally only travel a 20 -60 Kms try the transmitter locating website ( posted below ) to see if you are pointing to the nearest one.

DVB-T2 is still being rolled out not all locations are covered yet but you can check on this website.

zoom the map to your location then click on the blue white teardrop icon on the top right of the page then click onto your precise location on the map and it should show you details of the nearest transmitter with compass bearing and exact transmitter location as well as the all important frequencies.

C band needs a big dish not good at certain locations ( on a condo balcony ) KU band can use smaller dishes but is badly affected by the rain

IPTV needs a good internet connection and some hunting around to find a cheep/free and or reliable provider of streamed content.

Parents are in Sattahip

Map

https://goo.gl/maps/GPr6R6DEbnL2

Would that works?

8a60790ae1f61bf0763787187033f330.jpg

Can u switch between bands in box options?

Believe it auto tunes whatever band signals it detects on coax - I only feed C-band so do not know about changing.

BeefSlapper

I took a bit of a guess as to exact location from your google map

they recommend the Rayong transmitter even though the Pattaya one is closer.

post-2109-0-13278800-1463471116_thumb.jp

with your indoor antenna at 56KM's to Rayong IMHO not a chance of a signal

you need a large outdoor antenna like this. 550 baht from Amorn

post-2109-0-02613500-1463472258_thumb.jp

on the roof

post-2109-0-11054200-1463472284_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-92675100-1463472299_thumb.jp

I don't have the box anymore, but the price was 159 baht at Powerbuy Central World.

Had the old S9 PSI box and got the same problem as sniffdog with channel 7 disappearing. PSI dish antenna for C.

Bought a True S1000S HD box, which the shop tuned, and when we got home it plugged and played with same screw-on coax at the back.

Wife happy, great picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Lopburi3 i wonder if you can help me or any other members who have knowledge on the PSI 02x hd and the PSI s2 hd receivers . My qeustion is about the media player in the receivers. Do they play avi, mpeg4 , vob, files etc to watch movies etc through usb external hard drive. i know the gmmz slim hd box supports these codecs but PSI all i can see is mp3 etc to play music through there media player no video codecs. The reason i ask is im going to buy 3 hd FTA receivers and find PSI the best provider for FTA channels. I was going to go with the gmmz slim hd as they did z pay tv through CTH but CTH i understand have withdrawn there pay tv service with gmmz. So looks like psi is my best choice for FTA channels now. any advice on the codecs installed in the PSI hd boxes would be great. Also which of the 2 hd boxes is best. regards

psi_o2x-1.jpg

We only have the PSI O2x boxs and I have never used the USB input on them - and only used on the GMM box for thumb drives. Most use thumb drive directly to TV sets for playback of recorded files.

Thank you lopburi3 for your reply.

We only have the PSI O2x boxs and I have never used the USB input on them - and only used on the GMM box for thumb drives. Most use thumb drive directly to TV sets for playback of recorded files.

Had the old S9 PSI box and got the same problem as sniffdog with channel 7 disappearing. PSI dish antenna for C.

Bought a True S1000S HD box, which the shop tuned, and when we got home it plugged and played with same screw-on coax at the back.

Wife happy, great picture.

I am happy to report that after I moved to a new location I can receive 30 out of 36 channels, including ch7. Great picture for a one time investment of a mere 700 baht.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello All

Would like to get some quick response if possible as Im in the process of ditching True

We rang PSI & am planning to get the C Band system - The big net dish

Had a friend ring one of these numbers - 0927494559 / 0833803277 Not know who or where in our city

The quotes were 4500 bht for dish ( will have axisting wiring & bracket from True - worry about bracket to close to wall for bigger dish ) & box + 2500 bht for extra box 

Does this sound ok as I have read some of the posts & seems a bit steep for second box

Thanks All 

Archived