Thailand bomb suspect breaks down, tells media, 'I'm not an animal'

webfact

Thailand bomb suspect breaks down, tells media, 'I'm not an animal'
BY JUTARAT SKULPICHETRAT AND AUKKARAPON NIYOMYAT

BANGKOK: -- One of two ethnic Uighur Muslims from China accused of involvement in a deadly bombing at a Bangkok shrine last year broke down in front of cameras on Tuesday as he made his way into court.

Twenty people were killed and more than 120 injured in the bombing on Aug. 17 at the Erawan Shrine, thronged by visitors to the Thai capital. Five of those who died were from China and two from Hong Kong.

Analysts, diplomats and even some officials suspected the attack was linked to sympathizers of the Uighur minority in western China angered by the Thai junta's deportation of more than 100 Uighurs to China the previous month.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-blast-idUSKCN0Y80FR

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2016-05-17

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm not an animal," the shaven, shackled and barefoot Adem Karadag told a crowd of waiting reporters on Tuesday, as two guards led him into a military court in Bangkok's old town. "I'm human, I'm human."

"We're innocent, help us, help us, where are the human rights?" said a stony-faced Mieraili, as he emerged from a police car outside the court."

so they are going to a CIA black site for full interrogation after the trial, right?

There is no <deleted> way the BIB got the right guys.

I am more and more disgusted by authority these days. We are all victimized by it, to differing degrees. As with much of life, it is a balancing act. But absolute authority corrupts absolutely. What incentive is there for authority to be just, when it does not serve their own motives?

I am more and more disgusted by authority these days. We are all victimized by it, to differing degrees. As with much of life, it is a balancing act. But absolute authority corrupts absolutely. What incentive is there for authority to be just, when it does not serve their own motives?

I am not sure of your logic here. Pinning the bombing on "innocent" Chinese Uighur was NOT in the interest of the authorities, it was an embarrassment. They said - there was no way it was connected... that it was "The Reds" that were involved.... so having to admit it was not was a big embarrassment and not in the interest of authorities.

Why do you think they "pinned" it on the Uighurs?

Odd how the murderer suddenly finds some emotion.

I guess the emotions come easy when he gets to thinking about it all and realises that somewhere on a shelf in a Bangkok prison sit the chemicals which will end his miserable life.

Shame for him he couldn't find some emotion before embarking on his slaughter.

I can't wait until they 'pin' something like this on a Westerner...I think the internet in Thailand will implode....

They are entitled to a presumption of innocence and to the best legal representation. If the authorities are convinced of their guilt, as they have proclaimed, then there is nothing to fear in providing that representation.

Odd how the murderer suddenly finds some emotion.

I guess the emotions come easy when he gets to thinking about it all and realises that somewhere on a shelf in a Bangkok prison sit the chemicals which will end his miserable life.

Shame for him he couldn't find some emotion before embarking on his slaughter.

I can't wait until they 'pin' something like this on a Westerner...I think the internet in Thailand will implode....

Ah...

You have tried him already in the court of 'highground' have you?

It's sad all these innocent people were killed...but what about the 11 or so that were killed in the van by that young girl driving and hitting them. And the countless innocent people dying on the roads here. Many slaughtered by rich, never to be prosecuted, drivers...Are they accountable at all?

lowest act, planting a bomb, killing innocents for your 'cause'

if your men of honour and ideals, arm up and fight soldiers in the field.

that is of course this person did the bombing.

Edited by macksview

Just curious....with the outstanding record of RTP , always getting the correct guilty party, is it possible these guys did not do what they are accused of?

Very possible. The investigation was bungled and shady from the start. Their story is they were paying an illegal trafficker to get to Malaysia for work and got thrown to the wolves

"I'm not an animal," the shaven, shackled and barefoot Adem Karadag told a crowd of waiting reporters on Tuesday, as two guards led him into a military court in Bangkok's old town. "I'm human, I'm human."

"We're innocent, help us, help us, where are the human rights?" said a stony-faced Mieraili, as he emerged from a police car outside the court."

so they are going to a CIA black site for full interrogation after the trial, right?

Not very likely with the US ambassador to Thailand being in the process of getting kicked out...

It's sad all these innocent people were killed...but what about the 11 or so that were killed in the van by that young girl driving and hitting them. And the countless innocent people dying on the roads here. Many slaughtered by rich, never to be prosecuted, drivers...Are they accountable at all?

Good point, and I think you just answered your own question

Not very likely with the US ambassador to Thailand being in the process of getting kicked out...

Is he (genuine question)?

I am not sure of your logic here. Pinning the bombing on "innocent" Chinese Uighur was NOT in the interest of the authorities, it was an embarrassment. They said - there was no way it was connected... that it was "The Reds" that were involved.... so having to admit it was not was a big embarrassment and not in the interest of authorities.

Why do you think they "pinned" it on the Uighurs?

aaah, don't let facts and logic ruin the beliefs of red-leaning underdog supporters.

everybody is innocent... the koh tao guys too! innocent because there is a doubt on the materiality of some of the evidence.

So... if everything has not been examined by Horatio Caine, CSI Miami Dade - and I'm choosing a TV character on purpose - everything has to be fabricated, right?

:facepalm:

Edited by manarak

They are entitled to a presumption of innocence and to the best legal representation. If the authorities are convinced of their guilt, as they have proclaimed, then there is nothing to fear in providing that representation.

I don't think under the Thai legal system, that there is such a right of presumption of innocence, is there?

It is just a little bit different isn't it?

One an accident (careless maybe, never used your phone when driving?) and a pre planned bomb attack with intention to kill as many as possible.

Gee foreigners cause a lot of problems in Thailand. Everyday there is something.

Unlikely, the message he read came directly from Washington. Making him persona non grata would only take it to a whole new level that I doubt the Thai government wants to risk.

In the process of getting kicked out? Says who?

I don't think under the Thai legal system, that there is such a right of presumption of innocence, is there?

Criminal Procedure in Thailand

Criminal Prosecution Standards

Presumption Of Innocence

An accused is deemed to be innocent of the charges filed against him until he is proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law-library/legal_library/thai_criminal_prosecution_standards.php

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Just curious....with the outstanding record of RTP , always getting the correct guilty party, is it possible these guys did not do what they are accused of?

Nobody has ever claimed responsibility for the bombing, if you look at the footage of the bomber putting his backpack down, it's obvious that there are two other young men involved, the one guy that vacated his seat for the bomber and the third guy he stood next to in an effort to shield the bomber from view, they all look as fit as butchers dogs and full of confidence, one could say untouchable. That was no ordinary bomb, judging by the carnage it caused, it was probably C4, semtex or something comparable, the explosion was carried out at Chinese shrine on a quiet day, no street traders, to minimise Thai casualties. There is only one group in Thailand who could have done that in such professional manner and coupled with the fact that nobody has ever claimed responsibility, points the finger in one direction.

Two perspectives:

1. They are innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt: so from a legal proof standpoint, yes they could be not guilty.

2. The Police/Prosecuters/Thai Press have not shared much since the suspects were arrested, so we have only those reports that were made around the time of arrest. To wit:

- Suspect No. 1 was found and arrested in an apartment that contained bomb making materials alleged to be of a similar type as the exploded device; but it is also clear many other people had used the apartment. He is held up as the man who placed the bomb based on similarity of appearance and police claim to have some video showing he changed clothes (his appearance) after leaving the bomb. Also, there were press reports of a confession by this suspect, but then it was revealed that there was no translator present; and the suspect's lawyer made some bizarre prejudicial comments as if he was working for the prosecution.

- Suspect No 2 was arrested at or near the Cambodia border (some say apprehended by Cambodian police and returned to Thai police) This person was also reported to have told a story to the Police that implicated him in the bombing.

Finally, there is the matter of the 15 or so other suspects the police reported, although only 2 of them appear to be positively identified (Turkish man and Thai wife, I believe, who traveled to Turkey)

so.....Who Knows? coffee1.gif