PMs Office Minister calls for civil servants to be paragons of honesty

webfact

PMs Office Minister calls for civil servants to be paragons of honesty

BANGKOK, 18 May 2016 (NNT) – The Prime Minister’s Office minister has reiterated that all civil servants and state enterprise workers should seek to serve the public with speed, accessibility and with the utmost effort for the betterment of the nation and its people.

Prime Minister’s Office Minister ML Panadda Diskul gave a special speech on the occasion of the opening of the Government Easy Contact Center (GECC). The talk, titled “Intents and Dedication to Serving Citizens”, was given to an assembly of civil servants and state enterprise employees from across the nation ahead of a training session designed to help overhaul the civil service sector for more modern operation.

ML Panadda stated that civil servants should be proud to be able to serve the nation’s citizens and asked them to serve as models of honesty, dependability and righteousness. He said that by inspiring new generations to become civil servants, they would be ensuring the further prosperity of the Kingdom.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-18 footer_n.gif

You can't simply tell people what to do. Like anywhere in the world most people have to be incentivised or penalised. You have a culture of not taking responsibility as well, so that makes it doubly hard.

Stop talking and start doing.

I had dealings with the Ministry of Commerce as well as Immigration while Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda was Prime Minister, and I can tell you they were terrified of being suspected of being corrupt. I don't know what he was doing, having agents provocateur go around offering bribes, or what, but they weren't allowing any possible appearance of impropriety. Every office had signs on the wall, "The only thing you have to pay is what is posted here." They were pretty honest under Anand Panyarachun, too. Of course corruption was rampant under Chatichai and the late lamented Banharn. I don't remember it as being so bad under Thaksin, although the really big stuff was being redirected to a different group of rich families, which was why they organized the coup.

I would ask Prime Minister’s Office Minister ML Panadda Diskul does this include Police? Or the military? Or anyone who works for any Governmental authority, central or local?

Or this just another talk fest for the happiness of Thai peoples? Perhaps the PM would like to back-up his Minister on the PM's weekly TV show? And publicly carry out punishment for those transgressors - no sideways movements! Nah, don't think so.

How did he manage to say that. I can't imagine it would have been easy for him to say that after the TV screens and clocks and microphones and stuff. The words would have got caught in his throat for sure.

It isn't a joke is it? Did anyone see if he was smirking at the time?

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Actually Thailand is generally fortunate in the quality of its most senior civil servants.There is a culture of excellent competence at least in the finance and economic oriented ministries (including the Bank of Thailand) which is where my experience lies.No doubt there are pockets of corruption but I have never come across them.

Actually Thailand is generally fortunate in the quality of its most senior civil servants.There is a culture of excellent competence at least in the finance and economic oriented ministries (including the Bank of Thailand) which is where my experience lies.No doubt there are pockets of corruption but I have never come across them.

pockets??

abyssal ones indeed

Name one country on this planet where civil servants give a rat's arse about the general public or the people they "serve".

Scandinavian countries, Iceland.

What's your answer?

I've lived in quite a few (mainly EU) countries but never had the pleasure of working in any of the Scandanavian countries. Maybe the civil servants there are truely dedicated to helping the general population. I don't know, I haven't been there but I'll take your word for it.

The experience I've had over the years having to deal with civil servants in general in Europe, the Middle East and SE Asia has left me with a negative impression of the lot of them.

But I think it's safe to say that in most countries, the pen pushers are a waste of space.

Maybe they could all learn something from the Scandinavians?