Urgent advice needed please. Moving from Thailand to Cambodia.

craigp

Hello All.

I'm desperate for some advice please.

I am in a bad relationship and I want to move to Cambodia.

From my understanding, the business visas are easy to obtain and are easily renewable.

Where is the best place to apply for the visa in Thailand? (I am currently in Chiang Rai)

Is it best to travel by airplane to avoid problems with land crossings?

Are there agents that can help?

Is it possible to take personal belongings into Cambodia or are things heavily taxed? Is it best to sell as much as possible and leave the rest. Basically go empty handed and start again?

I also have a dog in Thailand I'd like to take. I'm told it can be done, but maybe it's really difficult.

Is it possible to take a Thai motor-bike to Cambodia?

Please please please, if anyone has any experience, please tell offer me a little of your knowledge. ANY help or assistance will be really appreciated.

I don't have much time.

Thank you.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Visa just apply at any border and just say I want the business visa and not the tourist one.

I bought my dog in Cambodia and I had no problems taking her out of Cambodia and into Thailand and vv. (overland that was (never by air)

But this was a couple of years ago and maybe the rules have tightened, but I haven't seen anything online regarding vaccinations or dog passports.

It is actually called an "ordinary" visa, not a business visa. What yo uwill get will be for just 30 days, then you extend it - any travel agent can do.

Easy to bring a dog though be sure you have a good cage for her as some taxis may object to taking you with an animal otherwise. There are share taxis to Phnom Penh, Siem Reap etc. Have proof of rabies vaccination with you, sometimes they ask to see it and sometimes not. I bring dogs and cats back and forth regularly.

Finding a place that will let you stay with a dog, a little harder, though there are some.

Household belongings/clothes and the like not a bog problem unless really large quantity or a lot of new stuff in which case you may have to bargain a bit. Your other problem is, where on earth are you going to stay when you arrive with all that stuff (and dog)? I suggest you make an initial trip with a more modest quantity of things - say 2-3 suitcases full - and without the dog to suss things out and find accomodation, then go back to Thailand to get the rest of your stuff and the dog.

Motorcycle is another matter. Only 2 border crossings let you take a vehicle across, and that is on condition that you will bring it back out again. And then there is the issue of not having Camboduan plates and registration. Maybe someone else can advise further on this but it might make more sense to sell the motor here and buy another once in Cambodia, if you decide to stay.

Not to mention the obvious, but moving to an unfamiliar country solely to get away from a bad relationship isn't exactly wise planning and if it is your sole reason for going to Cambodia you may well not be happy there.. Why not extradite yourself from the relationship first (plenty of places in Thailand you could go to that are far from CM) and, having done that, take your time to visit Cambodia and see if it is somewhere you would like to live, and whether you can afford it etc.

It is actually called an "ordinary" visa, not a business visa. What yo uwill get will be for just 30 days, then you extend it - any travel agent can do.

Easy to bring a dog though be sure you have a good cage for her as some taxis may object to taking you with an animal otherwise. There are share taxis to Phnom Penh, Siem Reap etc. Have proof of rabies vaccination with you, sometimes they ask to see it and sometimes not. I bring dogs and cats back and forth regularly.

Finding a place that will let you stay with a dog, a little harder, though there are some.

Household belongings/clothes and the like not a bog problem unless really large quantity or a lot of new stuff in which case you may have to bargain a bit. Your other problem is, where on earth are you going to stay when you arrive with all that stuff (and dog)? I suggest you make an initial trip with a more modest quantity of things - say 2-3 suitcases full - and without the dog to suss things out and find accomodation, then go back to Thailand to get the rest of your stuff and the dog.

Motorcycle is another matter. Only 2 border crossings let you take a vehicle across, and that is on condition that you will bring it back out again. And then there is the issue of not having Camboduan plates and registration. Maybe someone else can advise further on this but it might make more sense to sell the motor here and buy another once in Cambodia, if you decide to stay.

Not to mention the obvious, but moving to an unfamiliar country solely to get away from a bad relationship isn't exactly wise planning and if it is your sole reason for going to Cambodia you may well not be happy there.. Why not extradite yourself from the relationship first (plenty of places in Thailand you could go to that are far from CM) and, having done that, take your time to visit Cambodia and see if it is somewhere you would like to live, and whether you can afford it etc.

Mate moved to Cambodia a few years back, similar reason to you, bad relationship ! He has moved back to Thailand end of last year, completely different area to his ex, she was a nutter.. told me he wasted time, and money in Cambodia and should have only moved away from her, Cambodia was a struggle to live. He stated..

Starting over in Cambodia just to get away from a relationship is a bad idea. Several friends of mine who have moved there to escape other situations ended up being exploited, ripped off, stolen from, became seriously disillusioned, and wanted desperately to move back to Thailand or back to where they had come from. It seems to be OK if someone starts out there, and has trustworthy and reliable intermediaries who can help get things done, but it is one of the most corrupt places in the world (makes Thailand look like Scandinavia), and street crime is far worse than here. It doesn't seem to matter where one settles, since one of them started in Phnom Penh (hated it after a month), moved to Siem Reap (hated it more), and finally ended up in Kampot (the "up-and-coming" expat hang-out), but gave up on it too. I say put your belongings in storage (including the motorbike), rent a car, put the dog in a carrier and in the back seat and find somewhere else in Thailand to relocate to. It's a big country, and you can certainly get lost in Bangkok, for a start.

You are moving to Cambodia and you don't know shxx about it?

I'd advise you go stay there about a month first.

I like Cambodia a lot ... got friends there ... but I'm a little weird.

Sounds all a bit rash... Just disappear , Thailand is a big place, and for sure she can't track you down...., just lie low for a few months, and re invent yourself,

Hope it all works for you, as you sound pretty desperate....

All the best

+1 for moving somewhere else in Thailand. I go to Cambodia often for short holidays and I'm always pleased to get back to Thailand. If you really need to get away from a bad situation you should consider going down South. It's low season now so easy to find some nice spot, easy for taking your bike & dog & other belongings too. Best of luck.

Why are you so scared of her?

What difference could this possibly make? Is it necessary to make the OP put every detail of his private hell on display? Do we not collectively have more than enough information from "other sources," including in many cases, personal experience, to fill in the blanks ourselves? She is Thai. He is not, That should provide at least a clue. When things go south here, they tend to do so, profoundly. Bailing on Thailand, in many cases, is the only way to truly break from some of these situations. I know, because this is the approach I probably should have taken, myself, quite a ways back. But I opted to stay. The personal cost of that decision has been, and will likely continue to be, high, though in my case, the sacrifice has been for a little girl.

And for everyone's edification, if a humanitarian sort of individual packs a bit of resilience and open-mindedness, they can and will find a much more suitable quality of overall existence in Cambodia, than perhaps anyplace else in the region. Sure, it's gritty. But so is Thailand. Existence there can (and will be, at times) a struggle, but so goes Thailand. It can be a bit more volatile and unpredictable as well, but in ways that are much more fathomable to most westerners. And if you can understand why a place is the way it is or does what it does, it makes it infinitely easier to accept even the downsides. Just chose locales wisely, and vow never to repeat the same patterns that led to your current dilemma. Details have little bearing on this, whatsoever. And rubbernecking at anyone's expense is simply not dignified.

Keep your head up when appropriate, OP, and down when circumstances dictate. You will be fine. Oh, and one more thing. Listen very closely to Sheryl. And Sheryl, I don't know if you would call it love exactly, but I want to have your children. wink.png

Try this mob for info about motorcycle. They are custom agents and one of their speciality's is

organising the paperwork to get motorcycles across borders in SEA, mainly for travelers but they will know what to do. Good English.

Nithipat Kongkatong
Fair & Easy Co., Ltd.
Bangkok / Thailand
Tel : +66-2-651-6800
Fax : +66-2-651-6802
HP : +66-81-422-4995
www.fairandeasy.co.th/logistics

sell the bike on baht sold or there is a storage facility i can telly you about who is run by a fantastic thai lady i know.. put your dog in a dog kennel (there are a few good ferang one around) and take a trip over to cambodia. think snookyville would be your best bet, and even that has nothing on many thai places. once you see what cambo is like you can grab your dog and head off to another part of thailand.

Starting over in Cambodia just to get away from a relationship is a bad idea. Several friends of mine who have moved there to escape other situations ended up being exploited, ripped off, stolen from, became seriously disillusioned, and wanted desperately to move back to Thailand or back to where they had come from. It seems to be OK if someone starts out there, and has trustworthy and reliable intermediaries who can help get things done, but it is one of the most corrupt places in the world (makes Thailand look like Scandinavia), and street crime is far worse than here. It doesn't seem to matter where one settles, since one of them started in Phnom Penh (hated it after a month), moved to Siem Reap (hated it more), and finally ended up in Kampot (the "up-and-coming" expat hang-out), but gave up on it too. I say put your belongings in storage (including the motorbike), rent a car, put the dog in a carrier and in the back seat and find somewhere else in Thailand to relocate to. It's a big country, and you can certainly get lost in Bangkok, for a start.

I think this is great advice. Putting your gear in storage and then taking time to look at your options. You could still go check out cambodia, rent somewhere cheap for month or two to sus it out. (Personally I don't rate Cambodia, but some do). Why not check out some places in los. I had a mate who needed to urgently move from his Thai partner. He took what he could (his own stuff) and moved about Thailand. Spent first couple months Rayong. Then hua hin. Now lives happily in Kanchanaburi. If the OP has to leave Thailand for personal reasons, check out Vietnam also.

I've lived in Cambodia for 3 years - Phnom Penh to be precise. I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone - especailly after living in Thailand as I did. Generally, everything is more expensive when you live here - the important stuff like rent, electricity, groceries anyway- the Cambodians are even more obsessed with money than the Thai's so ripoff prices are everywhere. There is nowhere to exercise - no parks, no fresh air. No proper public transport just rip-off tourist tuktuks and motodops. Move somewhere else in Thailand if you can. Good luck.

Wise words as usual from Sheryl. Always listen to your Auntie Sheryl...

Some amazing advice and I sincerely thank you all.

The same question came up again and again. "Why don't I move to another part of Thailand" The simple answer is the Visa issue. Cambodia seems much easier. I don't need or expect much from Cambodia, but it's the only place I can get a visa easily.

I'd also consider Laos or Myanmar if I could easily get a visa.

Now, I'm on a marriage extension to a Thai as she's got me by the balls.

So, I'd have to walk away from most of my possessions, but my bike, dog and computers and the things I'd like to keep. I guess selling the bike is the best way. I'm well traveled in SE Asia. OK, I haven't spent much time in Cambodia, but I'm sure I'll manage.

I just can't think straight with all that is going on now and don't know the right order to do things.

Unless I can get another visa for Thailand, I can only see Cambodia as my next best option. I know Cambodia isn't going to be a bed a roses, but it won't take much to be better than my current situation.

So, with all the things I own, whats the best way to get myself into Cambodia? I guess go over alone and get a place rented first would be a smart move.? Then, I have a place to take my dog and all else.

One other thing, I need a good internet connection, but from my research, this isn't a problem.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for your time and help Sheryl!. So, just get the proof of vaccinations and take the dog? (Very small dog) I don't need a per passport or anything?

Wise words as usual from Sheryl. Always listen to your Auntie Sheryl...

Sheryl seems to be the Ubonjoe of the Cambodia forum then! Great to know!!

Oh, and one more thing. Listen very closely to Sheryl. And Sheryl, I don't know if you would call it love exactly, but I want to have your children. wink.png

I want to send you 10 Likes just for your recognition of Sheryl ...she deserves positive comments like this on a daily basis!!

For taking the dog overland, proof of vaccination is enough. To take by plane is more complicated and requires paperwork from the airport aniamal quarantine station.

You should go overland when you bring the dog and that is also easier for bringing a lot of stuff. Yes, you should go first without the dog to find a place to live. Bring maybe 2-3suitcases with you to leave there, then once you've rented a place come back for the dog and rest of your stuff.

Phnom Penh is a lot more expensive than rest of the country. If you don't require a large expat scene, consider Battambang city -- low rents and just 2 hours from Thailand so easy to go for a few days shopping or whatever. Laid back place but does have small expat community and plenty of shops, restaurants etc.

Internet is not a problem anywhere.

For taking the dog overland, proof of vaccination is enough. To take by plane is more complicated and requires paperwork from the airport aniamal quarantine station.

You should go overland when you bring the dog and that is also easier for bringing a lot of stuff. Yes, you should go first without the dog to find a place to live. Bring maybe 2-3suitcases with you to leave there, then once you've rented a place come back for the dog and rest of your stuff.

Phnom Penh is a lot more expensive than rest of the country. If you don't require a large expat scene, consider Battambang city -- low rents and just 2 hours from Thailand so easy to go for a few days shopping or whatever. Laid back place but does have small expat community and plenty of shops, restaurants etc.

Internet is not a problem anywhere.

Thanks Sheryl. I've read that taking things by land. (Computers etc) will cost a huge import Tax bill. Is it true? Do I have to pay any bribe money to get across?

I don't know how many of my things I can take to Cambodia.

Should I take as little as possible?

Or can I rent a truck and driver and take a lot of things?

Will I be taxed heavily if I do that?

Are there moving companies that can do this for me?

Maybe Battambang is not a bad place to move to. NOT as crazily crowded and frantic as PP or Siem Reap.Cheaper too.

Concerning the ordinary or business visa:I tried to get one last week at the Cambodian embassy in Vientiane and they said you need a letter from Cambodia for it.At the Lao/Cambodian border they refused too.I assume the Thai/Cambodian border will issue one but they try to extort a few "extra" $ ,and if you refuse to pay up they will probably give you only a TV.

Another thing about taking a dog with you. Many Minibuses and Buses (in Thailand) don't allow dogs. When we took our dog from Cambodia to Thailand we had to charter a vehicle to take us.

Archived