The way Thais travel. Do they have any alternative?

Bangkok Barry

We've all seen it a thousand times. People crammed into the back of pickups or a family of four on a motorcycle. To us westerners it is crazy and the danger is obvious.

But - for many Thais what is the alternative? If they did not travel that way they could not travel at all. They can't afford to buy multiple pickups/motorcycles, and public transport outside of Bangkok is often poor to non-existent. And that is why the police take no notice, knowing the guilty ones have no choice.

Do they realise they put their lives in danger by travelling that way but just have to bite the bullet? That I very much doubt, judging by the way many perch on the sides of pickups or ride bikes with no protection and often no lights and sometimes on the wrong side of the road. Hard to understand that mentality.

But back to the beginning - we mock them, but what practical choice do they have?

post-5931-0-13653300-1463627260_thumb.jp

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why farang come Thailand and talk for farangs on internet and always say Thai no good ?....

Thailand not same same farangland, if come Thailand and say Thai no good...why not stay in farangland, but farang come Thailand for lady and get drunk for beer

Edited by Koosdedooes

Why farang come Thailand and talk for farangs on internet and always say Thai no good ?....

Thailand not same same farangland, if come Thailand and say Thai no good...why not stay in farangland, but farang come Thailand for lady and get drunk for beer

Sorry, but the baby talk takes all the wind out of your sails. Thai OR farang.

Same reason why I don't berate Thais in their own tongue.

Edited by Fookhaht

...and public transport outside of Bangkok is often poor to non-existent...

This part is hogwash. Apparently the poster has never been outside of Bangkok.

Buses, songthaews, sam-lors, and some motorcycle taxis go virtually everywhere in the sticks outside of medium to small towns.

In fact, the only downside in going back to my home country (supposedly "developed") to visit, is that public transportation out in the countryside is not as convenient as within Thailand.

The reason you see these overloaded motorcycles and pick up trucks is strictly due to convenience. Same mentality as throwing plastic rubbish all over the roadsides.

Most of these people/families could afford the 9 baht to go up to 15 or 20 km. on a local songthaew. Need to go further? The pickup truck driver charges more than what they'd pay for dirt-cheap public transportation.

What they like is the door-to-door service on their own schedule.

Edited by Fookhaht

pls let us know where "farangland" is on your map of the world

just north of Mexico.. it s a new country call new Mexico.

look on your map...

Edited by returnofthailand

You need a map of the solar system. It's another planet, so far as many locals are concerned.

It's not just foreigners that recognise these dangers... many of my Thai friends also carry the same criticisms.

One of the issues I see in Thailand is the lack of ability to face any intelligent criticism without becoming defensive, just as you have Koosdedooes. We love Thailand, we hate to read of the tragedies on a daily basis...

Koosdedooes (it seems you may be Thai), it is your country folk who we love, it is your country folk who are unnecessarily dying in their thousands. With your avoidance to accept reality and instead become defensive you have become part of the problem.

------

Back on Topic - What of the alternatives ?... I suspect safer alternatives would materialise and become the norm once regulations are enforced more strictly. Fookhart puts forward a valid argument.

Farang come for sex because so many Thai woman are so soon easy to have sex with.

Think about that.

Many Thais believe that some words spoken in a Wat will protect them from everything. That's why they have little notion of safety.

Their notion of planning is similarly warped for the same reason.

There is also the question of cost. It's much cheaper to put 20 people in the back of a pick-up truck than to pay for enough vehicles with seats.

Why you come to farang forum and call farang bad? Why you not stay home and learn English gooder. Then come on farang forum to say Farang no good...

By the way the OP didn't insult Thailand in any way. He was just asking some very valid questions regarding road safety and the mentality of people here. Common Sense really...

And Finally, many Thai people go to live in Farangland and guess what they do? Constantly complain about food, weather ,laws, people's attitudes etc...

People like to complain... You are the one who brought race into the topic. You need to take a serious look at yourself and stop trolling!!!

That is not true for all of us. Don't be like those who stereotype.

Just noticed you edited your post, how was it before you edited it.

Many decent Western men in Thailand.

Why are you writing in this hideous manner,it's obvious from your other posts written in exceptional handwriting and grammar that your simply trolling.

By the way the OP didn't insult Thailand in any way. He was just asking some very valid questions regarding road safety and the mentality of people here. Common Sense really...

The OP is hiding behind the facade of vehicular safety, but his motive is about Thai-bashing. That's obvious.

If you want to talk common sense, explain to me why so many farangs don't exercise, or eat unhealthy foods, or drink to excess, or sunbathe, or smoke, or yes, ride on a motorbike without a helmet...the list is endless. Don't be so self-righteous.

Riding to school today I saw probably 15 kids sitting on the roof of a school bus that was motoring along.

I can actually go one better than this:

Coming home from work a few years ago, I found myself driving behind one of those older type song thaws with wooden framed back and a flat roof, and on that roof were 2 boys having a fight.

Many things are just normal as that's what they see their whole life, when they spend time in farangland they often see how selfish and disgusting it is to endanger their childrens lives the way they do.

Such unsavory self righteous indignation. I'm sure the Thais love their children as much, if not more, than you do. You're a disgusting human being.

The OP is hiding behind the facade of vehicular safety, but his motive is about Thai-bashing. That's obvious.

Not very perceptive of you. I was actually doing the opposite, sympathising with their plight. That's why I included whether they have any alternative in my title. Got it now, farang basher?

"To us westerners it is crazy and the danger is obvious."

Speak for yourself Bangkok Barry. I'm a westerner and I don't think it's crazy nor dangerous . In many countries people ride on roofs of cars , busses & trains. It's great for the Thai that their country hasn't become a nanny state ( yet) , and they can be transported however they want.

Thailand is still the land of the free ( well more or less...).

...and public transport outside of Bangkok is often poor to non-existent...

This part is hogwash. Apparently the poster has never been outside of Bangkok

I live out in the sticks, 50 kms from the nearest big town, and have experienced life in the Thai countryside for nearly 25 years, settling outside of Bangkok several years ago. Where transport is limited to non-existent. Sure there are a couple of local 'taxis' around, but I've yet to see any of them able to cram in 12 people or more into one as people do with pick-ups, and they are few and far between, And the local transport boys might take you home FROM the market, but I doubt they do pickups from home to take you TO the market.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Not very perceptive of you. I was actually doing the opposite, sympathising with their plight. That's why I included whether they have any alternative in my title. Got it now, farang basher?

Get real. Do you think people would be jamming themselves onto a truck if they had a Mercedes sitting in their garage? Do you really have to ask such a question? And ask it on a farang forum no less?

"To us westerners it is crazy and the danger is obvious."

Speak for yourself Bangkok Barry. I'm a westerner and I don't think it's crazy nor dangerous . In many countries people ride on roofs of cars , busses & trains. It's great for the Thai that their country hasn't become a nanny state ( yet) , and they can be transported however they want.

Thailand is still the land of the free ( well more or less...).

And I'm alright Jack, until it happens to someone you know. Are you seriously suggesting that it is okay for the kids in my photo to ride like that. One could be your daughter, who gets thrown out and killed when a motorcycle pulls out in front and causes the driver to drive into a ditch or throw her off the back with an emergency stop. Would you really accept that as the price to pay for 'freedom' from the nanny state? Really?

The brother of the woman who introduced me to my wife was killed when he fell off the back of a baht bus and hit his head on the road. My wife was crammed into a school 'bus' as a kid which was overloaded and crashed. Some of the kids were killed, one lost his legs. Rules are there for a reason, even in the nanny state. Supporting those who lack self-discipline and put themselves and others in danger speaks volumes about you.

Get real. Do you think people would be jamming themselves onto a truck if they had a Mercedes sitting in their garage? Do you really have to ask such a question? And ask it on a farang forum no less?

Again, no perception, Jeez! It is those who are too poor but to risk their lives that I'm writing about! You know, those who can't afford the Merc. Like most of the population.

Nobody from what I have read say Thai's are no good on the contrary they are trying to make the best of a bad system both transportation and otherwise.