High speed rail links to Hua Hin and Rayong could start building next year

webfact

High speed rail links to Hua Hin and Rayong could start building next year

hs.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Work on the approved dual track high speed rail links from Bangkok to Hua Hin and Bangkok to Rayong could begin as soon as next year.

Feasibility studies and investment strategies at the State Railways are in the latter stages of preparation ahead of presentation to the Communication Ministry before government committees have the final say on what form the plans will take.

The railway would dramatically cut journey times from the seaside resorts on the eastern seaboard and south of Bangkok to the capital city while potentially joining both resort areas.

Tenders are expected to be sought for the estimated costs of the projects that amount to 94,600 million baht for the Hua Hin route and 152,000 million baht for the Rayong route.

Surawut Benjakul of the State Railways of Thailand said that now the proposals have been approved by the SRT, building is expected to start early next year, pending cabinet approval. No time frame has yet been put on a possible completion scale for the mega project.

Feelers have also been put out to develop infrastructure and joint business projects that would be built along the railway and at certain hubs.

The "Smart City" initiative in conjunction with petroleum company PTT aims to develop businesses to the south and south east of the capital that would benefit from close proximity to the proposed railway.

Initial plans to proceed with the development of both railways were announced last week but government approval will likely come later this year.

Sources: Sanook / Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-19

What can one say , there will be H/S Trains screaming their motors all over Thailand, the easement in Europe is 1/2 kilometer both sides of the per-way, because of the scream of the electric motors at high speed, it stampedes the livestock and deafens the population, question is are we getting H/S or diesel standard gage fast trains @ 170???........................coffee1.gif

What can one say , there will be H/S Trains screaming their motors all over Thailand, the easement in Europe is 1/2 kilometer both sides of the per-way, because of the scream of the electric motors at high speed, it stampedes the livestock and deafens the population, question is are we getting H/S or diesel standard gage fast trains @ 170???........................coffee1.gif

What about the cost of the three metre high razor wire fences to stop Somchai leading his buffalo over the lines, is it already in the budget?

Initial plans to proceed with the development of both railways were announced

The Bangkok-Hua Hin and Bangkok-Rayong high-speed train projects were going to be financed by the Public Private Partnership fast-track (no pun intended) program. If proceeding with development, surely the allocation of PPP ownership (ie., division of equity investment) has been finalized. But no details?

Seems like the two high speed rail projects are following the same process as the Chinese Dual Rail project - starting development without finalizing funding sources. Or maybe funding allocations have been finalized (albeit not out to bids yet) and certain details such as adjacent property development rights are too sensitive for public disclosure.

These lines will be built for the pleasure and convenience of the ruling rich elite. No more getting stuck in traffic while making weekend getaway. No economic long term effective benefit for Thai people, but when have they ever let that influence their decision making?

This seems like a complete waste of money. It should be called the "White Elephant" line.

They couldn't make the SARL (Express line, City Line is OK) work. Price was an issue, but frequency was more of an issue.

It's all about schedule and price. Nobody wants to wait around for 4 - 6 hours to make a 90 minute journey. They'll need at least six, maybe eight dailies and the price will have to be 500 THB.

Where are the stations in BKK likely to be?

A guess would be Bang Sue (Hua Hin) and Makassan (Rayong), but who knows? The Hua Hin line might need a terminus near Wutthakat on the red line?

Edited by mtls2005

I suppose the ticket prices will end up being way too expensive so the trains will run at a loss due to the lack of customers.

This & many of the other comments were made about the sky train & the underground system.....as well as all the predictions that the Thai's just weren't up to doing these projects. In BKK last month I had a job getting on the Sky train at certain times, it was that packed.

It makes one laugh because a lot of the Sh1t Thi's cant do that comments, come from Brits......who after having the brilliant idea to privatise their railway system, sold it off to about 4 different companies who do not interact with timings & are now one of the most expensive ways to travel in the UK.

I also see the high speed rail in the UK that has been talked about for the last 15 years will start in 2017---(maybe) it will go 120 miles to Birmingham by a winding road 97 by the new train...best time for completion 2026..from there to Manchester another 105 miles by car...about 82 by train...altogether...... 169 miles should be completed best date 2033.

Maybe they should get the Chinese in to do the job.

I suppose the ticket prices will end up being way too expensive so the trains will run at a loss due to the lack of customers.

This & many of the other comments were made about the sky train & the underground system.....as well as all the predictions that the Thai's just weren't up to doing these projects. In BKK last month I had a job getting on the Sky train at certain times, it was that packed.

It makes one laugh because a lot of the Sh1t Thi's cant do that comments, come from Brits......who after having the brilliant idea to privatise their railway system, sold it off to about 4 different companies who do not interact with timings & are now one of the most expensive ways to travel in the UK.

I also see the high speed rail in the UK that has been talked about for the last 15 years will start in 2017---(maybe) it will go 120 miles to Birmingham by a winding road 97 by the new train...best time for completion 2026..from there to Manchester another 105 miles by car...about 82 by train...altogether...... 169 miles should be completed best date 2033.

It was, rightly so, called the Great British Railway Disaster.

Privatisation of railways will always be expensive for the customer and the taxpayer.

Just posted to Brit bash did you?. I'm a Brit & agree with what you said about our railways but why don't you post that on a Brit forum as all it looks like is a troll post just to bait people on here?.

I'm looking forward to this rail link being built but the Rayong Terminal needs to be built in the centre of Rayong not out at Map ta Phut as it's been designed for and if they had any sense they would future plan it to go all the way to Trat stopping at Ban Phe, Klaeng & Chantaburi on the way. Can you imagine the tourists delight disembarking at the jewel in Rayong's crown that is Map ta Phut, the biggest most polluted industrial estate in Thailand. If it's going to finish at Map ta Phut then there is no point in getting a train from Rayong to Pattaya as it's starting half way there and even for travelling to Suvarnabhumi airport is it worth it if a taxi has to be taken to the railway station as it's only 2hrs to swampy from Ban Phe anyway. I don't care about the speed but it would be nice to be able to have a day trip to BKK without risking life & limb in a minibus or even to go to Hua Hin for a nice relaxing weekend. As the old British Rail advertising went 'Let the train take the strain'.

It was, rightly so, called the Great British Railway Disaster.

Privatisation of railways will always be expensive for the customer and the taxpayer.

I agree, railways are public transport so need to be subsidised or owned by the public.

Just in time to dump the cost on the newly elected government. Elected government! Sorry, couldnt stop laughing!

You mean a good reason to not work on progress in Thailand?

Also the two links mentioned are being pre-financed by private companies in the PPP setup in exchange for being allowed to explore the links. Funding spread over numerous years, etc., etc. That's a bit more regular than "let's borrow 2.4 trillion Baht now and do something or another"

These lines will be built for the pleasure and convenience of the ruling rich elite. No more getting stuck in traffic while making weekend getaway. No economic long term effective benefit for Thai people, but when have they ever let that influence their decision making?

Private investment in these two links. Lots of foreign posters liking the idea of a quick link to Pattaya it would seem.

Just posted to Brit bash did you?. I'm a Brit & agree with what you said about our railways but why don't you post that on a Brit forum as all it looks like is a troll post just to bait people on here?.----sandrabbit

I am a Brit also sandrabbit----& a 13 year Kiwi---& a 20 year+ oz & a few years in Sweden, I posted on the rail story link because that's what it was about. The mention of the British Railway was because I thought it was relevant (1/ they are about /maybe / one day start to do their own high speed to Midlands) 2/ I had noticed (& know some posters) Brits who when Thailand takes on a project (Airport----sky-train--underground rail system) they are always there to give the Thais a good old----"Your never be able do that......etc....etc......

That's it sandrabbit............no other reason, have some fond memories of east London & until my folks died a few years back would visit every 8-10 months.

Also think Thailand should get the credit it is due........and the brickbats if it doesn't.....but people should wait to it fails before you throw them..............coffee1.gif

Edited by oxo1947

Just posted to Brit bash did you?. I'm a Brit & agree with what you said about our railways but why don't you post that on a Brit forum as all it looks like is a troll post just to bait people on here?.

I'm looking forward to this rail link being built but the Rayong Terminal needs to be built in the centre of Rayong not out at Map ta Phut as it's been designed for and if they had any sense they would future plan it to go all the way to Trat stopping at Ban Phe, Klaeng & Chantaburi on the way. Can you imagine the tourists delight disembarking at the jewel in Rayong's crown that is Map ta Phut, the biggest most polluted industrial estate in Thailand. If it's going to finish at Map ta Phut then there is no point in getting a train from Rayong to Pattaya as it's starting half way there and even for travelling to Suvarnabhumi airport is it worth it if a taxi has to be taken to the railway station as it's only 2hrs to swampy from Ban Phe anyway. I don't care about the speed but it would be nice to be able to have a day trip to BKK without risking life & limb in a minibus or even to go to Hua Hin for a nice relaxing weekend. As the old British Rail advertising went 'Let the train take the strain'.

As far as I remember the private companies who asked to build the links also asked to have the BKK-Pattaya link extended to include Rayong to make it more feasible.

194KM from Lat Krabang, Bangkok - Bang Pakong - Chonbury - Pattaya - Rayong

BTW last year around this time the good news was 'could start next year'. Seems that's still true smile.png

As far as I remember the private companies who asked to build the links also asked to have the BKK-Pattaya link extended to include Rayong to make it more feasible.

BTW last year around this time the good news was 'could start next year'. Seems that's still true smile.png

I know but the Rayong terminal is going to be at Map ta Phut which is north west of Rayong not Rayong city itself so for me living in Ban Phe on the east from Rayong it is useless even to go to the airport.

I know but the Rayong terminal is going to be at Map ta Phut which is north west of Rayong not Rayong city itself so for me living in Ban Phe on the east from Rayong it is useless even to go to the airport.

Found on another forum with lots of Thai only links

For Rayong station, there are 2 choices for the areas Between Map Ta Phut Industrial estate and downtown Rayong

1. 1km east of Map Ta Phut Industrial estate and 4 km West of downtown Rayong] on 7 sq. km of land

2. 3 km North of Map Ta Phut Industrial estate and 6 km Northwest of downtown Rayong on 9 sq km of land

BTW the BangkokPost mentioned that SRT would pay for the investment in land and private contractors would finance building, collect travel fares and share with the government. The contractors would be offered a 25 year concession.

Sorry, I couldn't help spotting the word 'could' in the headline.

As in 'pigs could fly'... (if they had wings).

It's one of the standard inclusions in headlines when Thai news is a bit slow, or when they can't wake the journos up.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

For Rayong station, there are 2 choices for the areas Between Map Ta Phut Industrial estate and downtown Rayong

1. 1km east of Map Ta Phut Industrial estate and 4 km West of downtown Rayong] on 7 sq. km of land

2. 3 km North of Map Ta Phut Industrial estate and 6 km Northwest of downtown Rayong on 9 sq km of land

so as I already posted it is useless to the city of Rayong so don't bother it will be just for industry. just leave it at Pattaya.

Where are the stations in BKK likely to be?

Bang Sue

There's a lot of info out there is you Google it.

More details about Bangsue Central - Hua Hi High speed train - turning Hua HIn station for High Speed train as the new landmark of Hia Hin city

During the inspection tour of SRT governor with Mayor of Hua Hin city to prepare for both massive double tracking from Nakhon Pathom to Hua Hin and from Prachuab Khirikhan to Chumporn and High Speed train from Bangsue to Hua Hin

1. Hua Hin new station building after double tracking will be just the western edge of existing Hua hin station

2. Hua Hin station for High Speed train will be opposite to Hua Hin Airport at Bo Fai

3. Need 6,352 sq. m. for Hua Hin station of high speed train with the station length of 1 km - 450 meter for station building -

4. both Hua Hin station for High Speed train Hua Hin new station building will be elevated station - using both existing 80 meter wide strip + 40 meter wide strip outside railway area

5. Bangsue Central to Hua Hin with the distance of 221 km and 98.399 billion Baht investment consisted of 83 billion Baht for construction + 9.324 billion Baht for electrification + 1.905 billion Baht consultant + 4.1 billion Baht land exapropriation

6. EIRR from Bangsue Central to Hua Hin is 8.11% even though the extension to Padang Besar will boost the benefit to 12.76%

7. ticket rate at 2.5-3.0 Baht per km - at 522 - 627 Baht with travel time of 1 hour

8. there will be 4 stations

8.1 Nakhon Pathom at existing Nakhon Pathom station

8.2 Ratburi at Koo Bua commune - 3 km South of existing station

8.3 Phetburi at Khao Luang, Thongchai commune on Phewtkasem highway - 1.5 km from existing station

8.4 Hua Hin in front of Bo Fai AIrporrt [AKA Hua Hin airport] - around Hua Hin Soi 2 - 7 km North of existing Hua Hin station and 300 meter from Phetkasem

Mayor of Hua Hin going to prepare the mass transportation to connect High Speed train station at Bo fai with downtown Hua Hin - using private run minibus - but need much better decoration to fit with the grace of new Hua hin station at Bo Fai

http://www.thansettakij.com/2015/06/18/3779

so as I already posted it is useless to the city of Rayong so don't bother it will be just for industry. just leave it at Pattaya.

4km west of downtown Rayong doesn't sound too far. Of course if you feel that too far for a small town like Rayong, you might also have some comments if the all new railway station would be put in the middle of that small town.

post-58-0-12031500-1463757939_thumb.jpg