Is there a special term?

bannork

When punters perch themselves on bar stools in various bars, they're often served small bottles of beer sitting in a circular polystyrene container. Could anyone tell me what these are called in advance?

Cheers.

Or that genuine Thai word: คอนดอม Condom

They are hardly

ถุงยาง Rubber Bag

Potential Source of numerous contagious diseases, particularly conjunctivitis!

Edited by laolover88

The scientific term seems to be:

bottle cooler sleeve

BUT: whom do want to use the term with?

At a bar?

Indeed "condom" and pointing to bottle will be understood biggrin.png

Thanks for that KB and indeed to giddyup- yes, I forgot to add 'thanking anyone' before I wrote 'in advance'- anyway, I'm writing an article about Khaosan road in the late 1980s,There was a small street bar at the time opposite the police station, I've no idea if it still exists.

Drink from a glass - only peasants drink beer from the bottle.

I'm sure you believe it looks "macho" drinking directly from the bottle, but that bottle has almost certainly been stored in the Bar back-room and crawled / peed over

by rats and cockroaches etc..

Leptospirosis- and other diseases - look it up.

I don't think any long-term Expatriate would ever drink from from a bottle ..... and I certainly cringe when I see newbies trying to demonstrate what "Old Hands" they are in this way,.

Patrick

Leptosporoisis would be transmittal through rats urine but you would need to give the bottle a good deep throat bj while the rats piss is still wet for a successful infection as it is killed by heat or sunlight like most infectious diseases

You could safely drink from a bottle easily and 99.9999 % of everyone does

Besides, I personally would not do any more than touch the part of the bottle the lid was covering while pouring it down My neck... Ymmv..though :)

I'm sure you believe it looks "macho" drinking directly from the bottle, but that bottle has almost certainly been stored in the Bar back-room and crawled / peed over

I don't think any long-term Expatriate would ever drink from from a bottle ..... and I certainly cringe when I see newbies trying to demonstrate what "Old Hands" they are in this way,.

Patrick

I suppose the glass has been sterilised prior to your beer being poured in it, also devoid of any soap residue to kill the head, and that still doesn't overcome how quickly the beer will get warm in a glass. Most likely the glass has been rinsed either under a tap or in a sink of less than clean water, but hey, enjoy!

Edited by giddyup

Patrick

Well you called all that right i see

post-258480-0-40615100-1463845446_thumb.post-258480-0-04630000-1463845464_thumb.

Thanks for that rgs but as the market I'm writing this article for is not based exclusively in Thailand it might be better to go for a term more widely known- looks like cold sleeve or stubbie cooler. I must say I do like the term cold sleeve, it sounds kind of menacing.

Patrick

I drink from a glass and have a stubby cooler for my glass to fit into.

See post #5 and #12.

Yeah i know, I was posting a clear concise answer

I already said stubbie cooler, that wasn't clear and concise enough so you had to repeat it?

Edited by giddyup