Confusion reigns as Thailand ATM users set to pay more

webfact

Confusion reigns as Thailand ATM users set to pay more

atm.jpg
Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- Confusion about new charges has been rife among the Thai public and on social media after it was announced recently that all ATM cards would be changed to include chips as well as metal strips.

The moves were announced as a safety improvement to stop the criminal practice of skimming with banks saying that cards with both chips and strips could not be read by gangs stealing money reported tnamcot.

But the public have been asking about possible charges for changing their cards and a suggested increase in yearly charges with the new system.

The Thai Bank Association said that charges will be as per each bank. Some are charging 100 baht to change their cards (though damaged and out of date cards would still cost more to change).

Some banks, it was reported, are not charging at all, but are offering different rates from previously for using the new cards.

It is understood that banks will no longer issue cards that can just be used at ATMs. Cards from now on will all be debit cards that can be used in shops and for online purchases as this fits in with the Thai government's "National E-Payment" policy guidelines.

Banks have said there is no need to be confused. Regular metal strip cards can still be used until the end of 2019 with no need to change them until then.

Source: tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-20

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given time, the crocks will find a way to crack not only chips, but also fish and chips that the

banks will introduce, so far the criminals are winning big times, and the banks don't care

for some reasons, and what happened to all those dozens skimmers that got caught already?

nobody knows.......

Dont see what's the confusion...chip cards are being introduced...old cards are good for another 3 years.

The confusion is over how much the customer is to pay for this changeover and at what point the extra charges will be levied (annual charge, upon receipt of new card, upon use of card, etc.) As ever information is scant and contradictory.

For those familiar with the various card-using rail services in Bangkok, card technology changes are not infrequent and always include an admin fee, a non-returnable deposit or some other euphemism for directly charging the card user which is not communicated until the very moment one hands over the money.

What this is really all about. The hip pocket.

But the public have been asking about possible charges for changing their cards and a suggested increase in yearly charges with the new system.

Big Banks finding new ways to get more money out of the punters?

This could well come in under the topic of, 'Is Thailand Becoming Too Westernised'

My Australian Bank is an expert at it, has been for some time. And don't tell me to change banks, because so are all the others.

Dont see what's the confusion...chip cards are being introduced...old cards are good for another 3 years.

The confusion is over how much the customer is to pay for this changeover and at what point the extra charges will be levied (annual charge, upon receipt of new card, upon use of card, etc.) As ever information is scant and contradictory.

For those familiar with the various card-using rail services in Bangkok, card technology changes are not infrequent and always include an admin fee, a non-returnable deposit or some other euphemism for directly charging the card user which is not communicated until the very moment one hands over the money.

As both types of cards are usable for at least 3 years, it's pretty clear that there are no charges until one obtains a new card (which is the same as now). The only real change seems to be that all new cards issued henceforth will be dual ATM\debit card... ATM only cards will no longer be available. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

This could well come in under the topic of, 'Is Thailand Becoming Too Westernised'

My Australian Bank is an expert at it, has been for some time. And don't tell me to change banks, because so are all the others.

Bank Robbery. That is what banks do to the customers.

Bank Robbery. That is what banks do to the customers.

and it wouldn't surprise me that the banks themselves have deliberately created the confusion.

Don't be alarmed though. They will let everyone know by mailing them out a 'Change To Your Terms and Conditions' pamphlet in a font size where you need an electron microscope to read and filled with so much legal jargon and waffle it will make your head spin. So that you give up and just cop it.

BBL has been offering chip cards for a while. But they would work only at BBL ATMs, that why I declined. Will they now work at all ATMs across banks and even countries?

---------------------------------

i have have a Bangkok Bank Be1st Debit card for over 3 years NOT a Credt card a Debit card......and i have sucessfully used the card to withdraw funds in Malaysia, Singapore. and Vietnam.

From local bank ATMs in those countries which have an agrement with Bangkok Bank to honor Be1st cards.

That was one of the reasons I applied for a Be1st card. when i opened my account.

My current card i still one of the old type with the magnetic strip......but next month i may switch to the card with a chip.

Even if it costs me 200 Baht to convert.....it is worth it.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

BBL has been offering chip cards for a while. But they would work only at BBL ATMs, that why I declined. Will they now work at all ATMs across banks and even countries?

i have have a Bangkok Bank Be1st Debit card for over 3 years NOT a Credt card a Debit card......and i have sucessfully used the card to withdraw funds in Malaysia, Singapore. and Vietnam.

From local bank ATMs in those countries which have an agrement with Bangkok Bank to honor Be1st cards.

That was one of the reasons I applied for a Be1st card. when i opened my account.

yes I have the same card. Got a new one with a chip a couple of years ago when I broke my original.

I have even used it back in Australia at ATMs with the logo as below

plus_thumb.png

That was not there chip card. It was a normal mag strip Visa debit card and yes usable everywhere and can be used until end of 2019 or expiration date.

Bangkok Bank advising all chip cards from Thai banks are usable in there ATM's nationwide so they must have converted all now.

They offer both normal four digit PIN and now 6 digit PIN Union Pay Smart versions - and both are usable overseas if ATM allows.

Have you used your BBL chipped card at other ATMs in country and outside the country? Can you confirm the new cards work just like the old non chipped cards? I ask because I have an old card and am hesitant to change it until I can gat the same useability as the old card.

My current card i still one of the old type with the magnetic strip......but next month i may switch to the card with a chip.

Even if it costs me 200 Baht to convert.....it is worth it.

I resisted the BB chip card for a year or so then finally gave in. TBH, it hasn't posed much of an inconvenience and the additional security of the card is reassuring; at least until we find out the crooks have figured a way round it.

Retinal scanners and fingerprints will be next I reckon.

Bangkok bank chipped cards work already in ATMs abroad .Mine did in Ireland 3 months ago .

One of the big unanswered questions here with the forthcoming Thai bank chipped debit cards will be whether they are usable only at the ATMs of the issuing bank, or at all Thai bank ATMs.

For reasons I've never understood or seen explained, the current/old Bangkok Bank chipped debit cards for a long time have only been usable in Bangkok Bank ATMs, and could NOT be used to withdraw funds from other Thai banks' ATMs.

I've seen no mention of whether that situation is going to change any time soon, perhaps as the other Thai banks upgrade their ATMs to work better with chipped cards. But equally, no mention of whether the new chipped cards that the other Thai banks are beginning to issue now will be usable at all Thai banks ATMs, or only those of the issuing bank.

One would assume -- but I haven't seen it publicly stated in any of the reporting on this thus far -- that the newly issued chipped cards will not have the same limitation that Bangkok Bank's chipped cards have had in the past.

I lied. I just dragged my card out and had a closer look. I have only ever used my be1st card in an ATM (which I am just about to go and do after I post this). Mine hasn't got a chip, it does have a hologram though, something which my original card did not have. And it has the mag strip on the back.

So I guess I will need a new one too. I have had a Bangkok Bank Account for about 12 years - In all that time, I have never, ever, received one piece of correspondence from them, nor an email. I had to renew my Bankbook the other day and even even asked them to check the address they had for me in the system. Yep. It was OK. Email Address? Yep. OK too. Got me buggered.

Chipcard2_En.jpg

I recently got a new replacement thai debit card with my name printed on it from bangkok bank near the beginning of the month.

they were pitching the chip card being for free. if i took the plain debit card, it would be 100 baht. Part of the pitch was that appx 82-84% of all Thai bank atms (not just BBL) are chip compatible as of 16 May 2016. That will increase to 99% in Dec 2016.

I suspect if you do not live in a mueang or major metropolis, the atm will be the last to be upgraded. I opted for the chip one because i do have a backup card that is a regular (no chip) debit card. I think you can have up to 4 or 10 debit cards linked to a single account. I could ask Ian.

But for the OP, some banks seem to be offering free replacements. Some are charging 100 baht or so.

Edited by 4evermaat

Given time, the crocks will find a way to crack not only chips, but also fish and chips that the

banks will introduce, so far the criminals are winning big times, and the banks don't care

for some reasons, and what happened to all those dozens skimmers that got caught already?

nobody knows.......

"...so far the criminals are winning big times, and the banks don't care

for some reasons..."

Why would you post something so ridiculous in the light of what the OP reports? The banks clearly do care otherwise they wouldn't be making these changes.

They will work in other banks' ATMs as soon as those banks make the necessary changes to their equipment. Bangkok Bank has been a leader with these security changes and should not be criticised for the rest of the Thai banks' slowness in doing the same.

Mention of bank books earlier.

Thailand is fascinating like that. Internet/mobile banking, OTP protections, on-line transfers and statements, chipped cards, but I had to chuckle when they gave me a bank book upon opening my first (and subsequent) accounts here. laugh.png

One hand on the next 21st Century bar, one back on the 20th.

post-134393-0-43084500-1463727163_thumb.

They will take a deep breath, shut their eyes and swing that other hand forward in time. I remember being very anxious and skeptical when we were being forced off typewriters and our comforting banks of filing cabinets chock full of important reports and file folders, in favor of computers. It was a hard thing to wrap your head around.

ATM transactions, cards and accounts are all free of charge where I live.

Nothing is ever free from a bank, your paying somewhere

That's a sentiment that can be applied to any commercial business, why pick on the banks particularly. Does the business that you are, or used to be, involved in provide it's services free of charge?

BoT affirms magnetic strip ATM & debit cards valid until end of 2019

PNECO590520001001301.jpg

BANGKOK, 20 May 2016 (NNT) - The Bank of Thailand (BoT) has affirmed that the public will still be able to use ATM and debit cards with magnetic strip technology until the end of 2019, following the move by commercial banks to introduce new cards with verification chips.

Deputy Governor of Financial Institutions Stability Tongurai Limpiti said debit and ATM cards issued from May 16 onward will utilize chip verification technology for enhanced security.

Existing cards with magnetic strips will be valid until December 31, 2019, while commercial banks will fade out magnetic strip cards as they expire. Those wishing to switch to chip cards before the expiration date of their magnetic strip cards can do so with a surcharge.

The new chip cards will be compatible with all ATMs of the issuing bank, while certain ATMs may temporarily be unable to accept chip cards from other banks.

Those who wish to find out more information can visit the website www.bot.or.th or contact the call centers of each bank.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-20 footer_n.gif