Confusion reigns as Thailand ATM users set to pay more

webfact

Mention of bank books earlier.

Thailand is fascinating like that. Internet/mobile banking, OTP protections, on-line transfers and statements, chipped cards, but I had to chuckle when they gave me a bank book upon opening my first (and subsequent) accounts here.

Do you also chuckle at the thought of the rest of the fascinating world's banks when they send an equally traditional piece of paper through the post with your latest transactions on it, I think it would be called a statement? Banking systems worldwide are fascinating like that.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBL has been offering chip cards for a while. But they would work only at BBL ATMs, that why I declined. Will they now work at all ATMs across banks and even countries?

I got a new card from Bangkok Bank a few days ago. No charge.

I have since used it once in a Bangkok Bank ATM and once in a Kasikorn ATM. No problem. Money dispensed as usual.

Thailand is fascinating like that. Internet/mobile banking, OTP protections, on-line transfers and statements, chipped cards, but I had to chuckle when they gave me a bank book upon opening my first (and subsequent) accounts here.

Do you also chuckle at the thought of the rest of the fascinating world's banks when they send an equally traditional piece of paper through the post with your latest transactions on it, I think it would be called a statement? Banking systems worldwide are fascinating like that.

I saw you down the bottom earlier. Thought to me self, Scouse is going to extract some faux offense at the mention of Thailand in a realistic yet slightly unflattering manner, triggering his reflex to defend and apologize on its behalf.

Yes, I would also chuckle at bank statements being sent through the post. A chuckle followed by one of these. facepalm.gif

Given time, the crocks will find a way to crack not only chips, but also fish and chips that the

banks will introduce, so far the criminals are winning big times, and the banks don't care

for some reasons, and what happened to all those dozens skimmers that got caught already?

nobody knows.......

They are insured against fraud, also if your debit card is skimmed well its your money, not theirs.

Even if a credit card gets cloned the credit card companies are insured so the only loser all round is always the customer, always has been, but we all need bank accounts nowadays so what can you do?

BBL has been offering chip cards for a while. But they would work only at BBL ATMs, that why I declined. Will they now work at all ATMs across banks and even countries?

---------------------------------

i have have a Bangkok Bank Be1st Debit card for over 3 years NOT a Credt card a Debit card......and i have sucessfully used the card to withdraw funds in Malaysia, Singapore. and Vietnam.

From local bank ATMs in those countries which have an agrement with Bangkok Bank to honor Be1st cards.

That was one of the reasons I applied for a Be1st card. when i opened my account.

My current card i still one of the old type with the magnetic strip......but next month i may switch to the card with a chip.

Even if it costs me 200 Baht to convert.....it is worth it.

Do you have to report to them,that you are leaving the country and

will be using your card there?

Just I Remember my daugher,came here from UK,first time she used her card here,

within 15 mins,she had a phone call from her mother saying the service centre for

the card had phoned to report someone using the card in Thailand,(could just imagine

flashing red lights sirens going off,someone using unauthorised card in Thailand).

regards worgeordie

What this is really all about. The hip pocket.

But the public have been asking about possible charges for changing their cards and a suggested increase in yearly charges with the new system.

Big Banks finding new ways to get more money out of the punters?

This could well come in under the topic of, 'Is Thailand Becoming Too Westernised'

My Australian Bank is an expert at it, has been for some time. And don't tell me to change banks, because so are all the others.

Change banks

ATM transactions, cards and accounts are all free of charge where I live.

Nothing is ever free from a bank, your paying somewhere

I would strongly disagree.

They give out lots of free hot air about how they are doing best for customer! gigglem.gif

They will work in other banks' ATMs as soon as those banks make the necessary changes to their equipment. Bangkok Bank has been a leader with these security changes and should not be criticised for the rest of the Thai banks' slowness in doing the same.

Thanks for confirming what I said.

My question is whether the other banks in Thailand have upgraded yet, so that I would be able to use the BBL chip card at other bank's ATMs.

Have you used your BBL chipped card at other ATMs in country and outside the country? Can you confirm the new cards work just like the old non chipped cards? I ask because I have an old card and am hesitant to change it until I can gat the same useability as the old card.

No, I have just said that I declined the card, and I did ask the question you are asking me...

i have have a Bangkok Bank Be1st Debit card for over 3 years NOT a Credt card a Debit card......and i have sucessfully used the card to withdraw funds in Malaysia, Singapore. and Vietnam.

From local bank ATMs in those countries which have an agrement with Bangkok Bank to honor Be1st cards.

That was one of the reasons I applied for a Be1st card. when i opened my account.

That was not there chip card. It was a normal mag strip Visa debit card and yes usable everywhere and can be used until end of 2019 or expiration date.

Bangkok Bank advising all chip cards from Thai banks are usable in there ATM's nationwide so they must have converted all now.

They offer both normal four digit PIN and now 6 digit PIN Union Pay Smart versions - and both are usable overseas if ATM allows.

The way I understand the BBL ad, they say that they accept all other banks' chipped cards. While it would make sense to assume that this also works the other way around, I am hesitant to assume. wai.gif

I got a new card from Bangkok Bank a few days ago. No charge.

I have since used it once in a Bangkok Bank ATM and once in a Kasikorn ATM. No problem. Money dispensed as usual.

Thanks for the confirmation. At least Kasikorn ATMs accept them now.

Bangkok bank chipped cards work already in ATMs abroad .Mine did in Ireland 3 months ago .

Good to hear, thanks.

Dont see what's the confusion...chip cards are being introduced...old cards are good for another 3 years.

The confusion is over how much the customer is to pay for this changeover and at what point the extra charges will be levied (annual charge, upon receipt of new card, upon use of card, etc.) As ever information is scant and contradictory.

For those familiar with the various card-using rail services in Bangkok, card technology changes are not infrequent and always include an admin fee, a non-returnable deposit or some other euphemism for directly charging the card user which is not communicated until the very moment one hands over the money.

3 years can used old card with out any extra.

tehnology not stay in time.. so for upgrade its normal to pay extra..

or stop use it.. in Thailand its not problem pay by cash..

My current card i still one of the old type with the magnetic strip......but next month i may switch to the card with a chip.

Even if it costs me 200 Baht to convert.....it is worth it.

I resisted the BB chip card for a year or so then finally gave in. TBH, it hasn't posed much of an inconvenience and the additional security of the card is reassuring; at least until we find out the crooks have figured a way round it.

Retinal scanners and fingerprints will be next I reckon.

Next will be 'contactless' cards which are becoming the norm in the UK. U just hold your card close to the pin#/card reader machine to make a payment. You dont even have to take it out of your wallet. Or maybe this step will be skipped in Thailand in favour of 'Apple pay' or 'Android pay' where u pay with a smart phone.

Onetourist was maybe talking about the UK where there is totally free personal banking incl. free debit and credit cards. This is the result of competition rather than a 'collusion' and 'cartel' banking mentality. Actually this was forced on UK banks years ago by competition from 'Building Societies' where members could save and then borrow the funds to purchase a house. This evolved into providing full banking services and great customer service. This broke the banks monopoly and they were forced to compete with a smile rather than treating their customers with contempt as they did before. E.g., They were forced to open like BS's until 5pm Mon. to Fri. and on Saturday mornings when before they closed at 3.30pm like Thailand and other countries.

They will work in other banks' ATMs as soon as those banks make the necessary changes to their equipment. Bangkok Bank has been a leader with these security changes and should not be criticised for the rest of the Thai banks' slowness in doing the same.

Thanks for confirming what I said.

My question is whether the other banks in Thailand have upgraded yet, so that I would be able to use the BBL chip card at other bank's ATMs.

"My question is whether the other banks in Thailand have upgraded yet, so that I would be able to use the BBL chip card at other bank's ATMs."

As I said in a message above, I got the new card a few days ago and have used it without problem in both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn ATMs. That doesn't prove it will work in every ATM, but if Kasikorn ATMs accept it, it seems reasonable to assume if will work in most, if not all, ATMs.

I was issued a chipped ATM/debit card by my US bank months ago. It has worked fine ever since in all but two bank system ATMs in Thailand: Bangkok Bank & Krungthai. I haven't retested it with either bank, but have tried many times in their various ATMs around Chiang Mai and it's never worked yet. Hopefully, these two banks have finally upgraded their machines and firmware to accept chip technology embedded on other bank cards.

Edited by Fore Man

Given time, the crocks will find a way to crack not only chips, but also fish and chips that the

banks will introduce, so far the criminals are winning big times, and the banks don't care

for some reasons, and what happened to all those dozens skimmers that got caught already?

nobody knows.......

I wonder how many of the skimmers are actually Thai.

There will be some for sure but it seems like all the organized gangs are foreign, at least those reported that have been caught.

And, as far as these gangs are concerned, this is not Thai specific. They are drawn like bees to pollen to successful tourist destinations globally.

The moves were announced as a safety improvement to stop the criminal practice of skimming with banks saying that cards with both chips and strips could not be read by gangs stealing money reported tnamcot.

Not true, I have had a card with a chip copied here out in the sticks!

I was issued a chipped ATM/debit card by my US bank months ago. It has worked fine ever since in all but two bank system ATMs in Thailand: Bangkok Bank & Krungthai. I haven't retested it with either bank, but have tried many times in their various ATMs around Chiang Mai and it's never worked yet. Hopefully, these two banks have finally upgraded their machines and firmware to accept chip technology embedded on other bank cards.

My debit card didn't work at every ATM in Thailand *before* it had a chip--except one. It's from one of *the* largest banks in the *world*.

I suspect the "digital nomads" who wrote the GUI on Thai ATMs didn't understand the specs and wrote bad code and only one person who worked for one bank understood the requirements.

FYI, I had the same problem in South America so ignorance and incompetent is not exclusive to Thailand, 555

Edited by SiSePuede419

I haven't had a mail statement for some 5 years in my Hong Kong and New Zealand accounts. It's all via online. I get an email saying a new statement is ready and I access it. Same with credit cards.

That was not there chip card. It was a normal mag strip Visa debit card and yes usable everywhere and can be used until end of 2019 or expiration date.

Bangkok Bank advising all chip cards from Thai banks are usable in there ATM's nationwide so they must have converted all now.

They offer both normal four digit PIN and now 6 digit PIN Union Pay Smart versions - and both are usable overseas if ATM allows.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but!

There = a particular place, a position - put the radio there.

Their = relating to the person - that is their radio. "......are usuable in their ATM's nationwide"

Just trying to help! smile.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

About 2 years ago I lost my BBL card and immediately reported it to my local branch. This was replaced at no charge with a Be1st Chip and Pin Visa debit card. As it is linked to the Visa network it will work in any ATM displaying the VISA or Plus network in the world including other Thai banks ATM's if they have been upgraded to accept Chip & Pin cards. Personally I always look for a BBL ATM as if I use another bank in Thailand they charge and the BBL ATM's have all been upgraded. My card works in the UK and Spain perfectly well. I find it best to transfer funds to a BBL savings account with no card or internet access and then 'drip feed' my debit card account when needed and regularly check this online. One thing I should note though. A couple of months ago I was in a smart restaurant and gave my debit card in payment. The waitress came back apologetically and said it had been declined! I then gave my UK Chip & Pin credit card (which I only carry for emergencies) and that too was declined! This was getting embarrassing as I was with a number of Thai friends and my G/F. I went to the back office and spoke to the Manager and he showed me two machines and the paper slips which said 'Timed Out' not declined. He couldn't read English and spoke very little. I showed him my BBL debit card and put it in the machine and immediately I saw the problem, the message came up Enter PIN! I entered my PIN and everything was fine and lots of apologies all round. He had been waiting for the slip to appear for me to sign! We are up in the North of Thailand and not many tourists atall around so I think they had not had any exposure to Chip & Pin Cards.Incidentally this did happen to me again later in a department store in the same town but, fortunately, this time I was standing by the till and anticipated the problem. All was well. I hope this is a useful post.

Singhaman.

ATM transactions, cards and accounts are all free of charge where I live.

Your statement would be all the more credible if you had mentioned where it is you live.rolleyes.gif Obviously not Thailand.

Yes there are such transactions, cards and accounts in Thailand but it all depends on who you are, who you deal with at the bank and which bank it is. BUT from research it turns out how many years - without any problems - you have done business with the bank, sort of like for the past forty (40) years. That means you started to do business with the father or even Grandfather of the present guy sitting in the Penthouse on top of the bank building HQ.

LOL in LOS