Lucky escape for Bangkok pedestrians as truck's brakes fail

rooster59

Lucky escape for Bangkok pedestrians as truck's brakes fail

post-247607-0-17176400-1463810867_thumb.

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: Pedestrians crossing the road had a lucky escape as a truck caused a multiple vehicle pile up that was caught on tape.

The clip was posted online by Rachathaewa. The accident happened earlier this month in the Soi Kingkaew area of Samut Prakarn, eastern Bangkok.

In the CCTV clip several pedestrians have just traversed the road at a zebra crossing when the truck goes into the back of a stopped car causing a three vehicle pile up that ends up on the crossing.

Police said that the accident had been investigated with the truck driver saying his brakes had failed. The case was now resolved.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-21

Surely when air brakes fail it should stop the truck, rather than stopping it from stopping. Maybe the driving needs to buy a heavier pair of flip-flops.

Anyway I was glad to see the accident didn't put him off his game of candy crush.

Edited by berybert

Surely when air brakes fail it should stop the truck, rather than stopping it from stopping. Maybe the driving needs to buy a heavier pair of flip-flops.

Anyway I was glad to see the accident didn't put him off his game of candy crush.

You are perfectly correct. Truck brakes work by air. they have air tanks that are filled using a compressor on the engine and until the tank is full the brakes will not release. If the truck develops an air leak the brakes come on. They do though still rely on having the brake pads changed on a regular basis which is more the reason for this crash rather than brake failure as is being touted thumbsup.gif

why would anyone use a zebra crossing here?

I use them often. To cross the road

unlike Europe no driver takes any notice of zebra crossings, they can give you a false sense of security

that is why you learn to cross the road by looking left and right assessing car speeds, only crossing when cars are at full stop...the risk is always there, just have to stay alert

Credit to the motorbike taxis.They were quickly on the scene to see if everyone was alright. Sometimes its easy to say bad stuff about motorbike drivers but here's an example of them helping other people.

I have been driving trucks for over 50 years and I say from experience, TRUCK BRAKES DO NOT FAIL

Drivers fail to brake.

Easy to see the problem watching the video. Tailgating. That truck was about a meter behind the white car when the car brakes suddenly. Such a rare occurrence here, huh? Edited by Fookhaht