New Gutter

chiangrai

I had a post about this last year but only found out what the problem was and not the solution before the rains came.

So I have a concrete shed with a concrete roof,The concrete roof looks flat but it is slightly pitched to make the water run off in a certain direction.

The roof is 4" thick and overhangs the walls by about 9" all round.

The problem is when the water runs off the roof it doesn't fall off the overhang.

It gets wicked back along the underneath of the overhang and runs down the wall.The wall then gets damp even on the inside.

What's the best thing to do?Gutter and fascia board.How does that work and where exactly do I put it.

Just install an "edge," like a 90 degree angle device preferable made from plastic versus metal see image below), underneath the edge of the roof overhang.

Look in the bathroom/tile section of hardware stores and you should find something suitable and cheap. Since water can't flow uphill it will just drip off at the angle device.

post-55970-0-79958200-1463838309_thumb.j

O.k

You both seem to be saying the same thing and what your saying sounds a lot

easier than guttering.

But I don't understand exactly where to install it.

Do I install this angled piece on the vertical 4" face of the roof overhang to turn at 90 degrees away from the wall.Is that at the top or the bottom of the 4' face.

I would love a picture of where exactly to install it.

Easiest way would be to cut a check-throat on the underside of the concrete roof. If a lot of water flows from the roof, just cut the channel wider and deeper. 1 cm wide and deep is sufficient. This is how concrete window sills in the UK cope. When the water now tries to flow back to the wall, it hits the groove and drops down. If you wanted to install guttering just place one edge on the wall side of the groove with the outer edge out past where the roof finishes. This will catch water running off the roof and the water dripping from the groove.

In the diagram below just treat the sill as your roof.

post-194842-14638423929288_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...