Insects in the Fridge.

Maybe poor door seals or cracks on the frig inside liner. Or maybe insects already on the vegetables/fruits you put in the frig and then the insects just go roaming.

Edited by Pib

Tiny ants in the kitchen usually attracted by sugar/sweet from fruit juice/coke or coffee tea cups containing sugar etc can often jump a ride on things that then placed in the fridge.

Its doubtful though not unlikely they entered the fridge directly, more likely transferred in on something as suggested.

Unfortunately, I would suggest empty the fridge, wash/clean it out, then inspect/examine what you put back for the insects so everything is clear.

How do they get in the fridge? Anyone know how I can stop this?

Maybe drinking your beer out of the bottle? Guess Pib is right, fruits and veggies could be the answer....

What do they look like?

No fruits or veggies in fridge, don't drink alcohol, first I noticed was in the glass when I was drinking juice.

They are probably ants.

Maybe poor door seals or cracks on the frig inside liner. Or maybe insects already on the vegetables/fruits you put in the frig and then the insects just go roaming.

Go roaming? I would have thought they would soon freeze to death, yes they were dead when I saw them.

Go roaming? I would have thought they would soon freeze to death, yes they were dead when I saw them.

Unless the temperature is below freezing where ice forms, they could very well still be alive...they just go into hibernation. Insects are pretty tough critters temperature-wise.

It's unlikely the insects would survive in the cold part of the fridge, (that's why I keep my large bag of rice in it, to kill off any insects and eggs). I moved from one condo to another recently and spotted huge red ants walking on top of the sealer of the fridge. On closer inspection I noticed they were coming from behind the plastic interior....hundreds of them. When I turned the knob to full cold they didn't appear, but when I put it half half they showed up again.

I fixed the problem by plugging out the fridge and spraying the interior behind the lining anywhere I could (used a straw up to the nozzle to get the spray into as many nooks and crannys as I could, closed the doors and left it for a few days........ Have no problems now.

For the cost of these items and to be sure, buy a new fridge.

I tried to defer an update recently. Ordered new seals and hinges, fluffed around and it was still wasn't right. Cheaper to just go $whack$.

I have seen a few very tiny insects but only in the bottom of the fridge. They are always dead, though I don't know how long it took for the cold, that I imagine was the cause, to kill them. They crept in through a leaky seal. It isn't for me a serious problem.

I had a similar problem not long ago. I left my condo for a 3 week trip to Europe. When back again the power fuse had blown up. Needless to say, all food in the freezer had rotten badly. I think i cleaned the freezer compartment 10 times with different chemicals before I got it smell free. But apparently some tiny bugs could still smell something as I found a handful frozen bugs in the freezer compartment every day and also some crushed ones in between frame and door sealing. Cleaned it a few times more but the bugs continued coming back for many years to come. Later I moved the fridge/freezer to a storage for a year and kept the doors open, before moved it in to my new office, but with no more bug problems.

Consensus: Cleaning it didn't work, but storing it with open doors for a while will probable solve the problem. Maybe the bugs gets time to finish off the tiny microscopic smelly particles still left in it.

Edited by inventorinthailand

I have seen a few very tiny insects but only in the bottom of the fridge. They are always dead, though I don't know how long it took for the cold, that I imagine was the cause, to kill them. They crept in through a leaky seal. It isn't for me a serious problem.

Actually dehydration is what likely killed them. Same effect if you put fresh bread in the fridge...in a couple of days all the moisture will be sucked out and it will be dry and rock hard.

Actually dehydration is what likely killed them. Same effect if you put fresh bread in the fridge...in a couple of days all the moisture will be sucked out and it will be dry and rock hard.

Yes, good point. I do put fresh bread in the freezer ( I buy a few loaves at a time) but that comes out fine when it defrosts.

I got ants in me fridge,what i'm a gonna do

In Cambodia they dust them with flour and fry them along with their eggs. Goes great with a bit of rice and chili.

7356288adc19b5de13f19c0c914d50ae.jpg

Edited by tonray

There are these tiny black bugs which are attracted to plain water and other beverages.

My guess:

The bugs aren't getting into your refrigerator, per say. They're getting into your mug which you are then putting back in the refrigerator, unrinsed between uses. You only notice the bugs floating on top when you take the mug out of the refrigerator and refill it.

Edited by Gecko123

You can't win the war with ants but you can win a few battles! I haven't bought any insecticide of any kind for about ten years. That stuff kills insects sure, but it gets into other places as well and is a terrible smell.

I use a small plastic bottle sprayer about B15 from your local plastic shop. I fill it full of water and put a couple of dashes of washing up liquid, effectively no cost. The smell is fine and it does kill all ants including the weaver ants and other small insects. Not much good for cockroaches and multiple mosquitos, though.

Yes, must check your glass if you intend to re-fill with a sweet-type drink. I have inadvertently failed to do this only to see those tiny black things rise quickly to the surface and some stubbornly half way down.

I've lost track of the number of ants I have swallowed over the year by forgetting to check my water glass before drinking. Maybe the formic acid in tiny amounts is beneficial! This year our kitchen is visited by tiny black ants too small to bite human skin and they seem to be attracted to drinking water particularly the electric kettle and any glasses containing water left on the counter. We flush out the kettle first thing each morning to avoid re-boiling the same water and concentrating the impurities so the overnight ants get swimming lessons.

Do wash and dry your fruit and veg before storing in the 'fridge in the hope that any harmful residues such as fertilisers and pesticides are reduced and any visiting insects caught up in in the produce should get flushed off.

These must be either Canadian or Alaskan ants. This species is often identified by the presence of small igloos forming in your freezer. To remove them from your fridge leave a bottle of Molsons outside your house.

My mother in laws fridge is full of insects and she's so proud....and generous....always offering me some....deep fried grasshopper sprinkled with pork seasoning isn't too bad when you know how to hold them and master the art of wing removal.

Edited by Mudcrab

There are these tiny black bugs which are attracted to plain water and other beverages.

My guess:

The bugs aren't getting into your refrigerator, per say. They're getting into your mug which you are then putting back in the refrigerator, unrinsed between uses. You only notice the bugs floating on top when you take the mug out of the refrigerator and refill it.

I keep my drinking mug in the fridge all the time as I love my drinks to be as cold as possible without turning to ice.

My guess:

I keep my drinking mug in the fridge all the time as I love my drinks to be as cold as possible without turning to ice.