Carrying Prescribed Medicine into Thailand

user555

Dear Friends,

I have a single entry visa to Thailand, and will fly in a few days.

I'm diagnosed with two medical problems. Both conditions are under control.

I get the medicine in my country with discount, and prefer to take as much medicine as I can, without getting into any trouble. Can you provide me with general guidelines for carring prescribed medicine into Thailand.

• Should I bring a letter from a doctor?
  • How much supply can I bring, for how long?
  • Should I carry it with me, or in the checked in suitcase?

Details:

• I'm diagnosed with: Allergy/Asthma and Depression/Fibromyalgia. Both conditions are under control.
  • Medicines include: Local Steroids, Effexor, Seroquel.
  • I have stopped taking pain killers (Such as Tramadol/codacamol/ Zaldiar, but still have them with me, and would like to take them just in case).

Thank in advance!

I've never been searched entering Thailand. I brought in a 3 months supply of meds without any issue. If you were to get searched

i'd imagine if they were in the labeled bottle they were dispensed in with the RX info on them it wouldn't be a problem. But I really doubt you'll get searched entering.

As above. For all but the pain meds, just nred to be in a cleatly labelled prescriptipn bottle and 30 day supply. Ditto tramadol. But olany narcotics require a permit to bring in.

They do not usually count out tablets so a more than 30 days usually ok but not whole suitcase full. Main issue is to be consistent with personal use

I bring a letter from a doctor, and up to a year's supply. I've never been questioned over the past 8 years. The meds are packed in my hold luggage.

Thailand does seem to be clamping down on drugs such as codeine, pseudoephedrine and similar compounds, due to their potential for conversion. If needed, a hospital doctor will provide a prescription, although hospital pharmacies are quite expensive.

Thailand does seem to be clamping down on drugs such as codeine, pseudoephedrine and similar compounds, due to their potential for conversion. If needed, a hospital doctor will provide a prescription, although hospital pharmacies are quite expensive.

Anti-depressants can be obtained without a prescription in Thailand, the main issue is finding a pharmacy that carries them. South East Pharmacy near ASOK has a very wide range of both genuine and generics, I think the OP would be be able to buy everything he needs there and almost certainly cheaper than they can be bought back home. I am not recommending anyone mess around with these without seeing a doctor, but if someone is stable and on these long term and in regular contact with their doctor this is an option.

That people are usually not checked is not a reason to avoid complying with regulations.

A number of the meds OP is on are prescription only in Thailand (Seroquel, steroids) and some are also controlled substances here (narcotics).

Coming in with a years worth of steroids, in particular, could create problems since there are issues with illicit sales here. And as mentioned narcotics are tightly controlled.

I think he will have no problem for the non-narcotics if amounts are not more than a month or two supply. Seroquel is expensive here (so is Effexor but there's an less expensive local brand) and Thai doctors are not well versed in fibromylagia so getting the steroids prescribed could be problematic. The narcotics need a permit from the Thai FDA to bring in but this is not hard to obtain, and it is worth doing as getting them prescribed can be difficult.

Point taken, Sheryl. I think I would be OK because my meds are for blood pressure ( quite expensive here ), gastric reflux, and arthritis. Doxycycline as an antimalarial. No steroids or narcotics, function OK without them.

All my meds cost me approximately 130 baht per prescription with the PBS in Australia, so it's worth my while to get a bulk supply there.

Edited by bazza40

Brought in kilograms of meds over an 8-year period of flying to and from the UK. Always packed in checked case. Never been quizzed about them. In 2008 i had my GP write a letter 'To whom,...' detailing the meds i was then on, signed and stamped, and i've always had that stowed in my case. Only this year, suffering insomnia, i dug out my 8-year old letter and took it the local public hospital Emergency room. Doc had a quick read, said 'You can't sleep? You take 1mg each night?' Yes and Yes. Wrote a script for 30 Lorazepam - one of the heavier sleepers. No problem.

Relatedly OP - on the idea of buying the drugs/meds you need here - i'm not sure about the wisdom of that. My feeling is that the meds market is flooded with fake Chinese meds of very dubious safety. I recently bought some 'Amlodopine' which is a Calcium-channel blocker for treating Hypertension. I took only half a tab to see how it went, and had a day of really weird reactions including dizziness and nausea and headache. I never touched them again. It is simply UNKNOWN how many dodgy meds are floating around the Asian scene - if you can bring all your meds from home i think you should.

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Try getting more than months worth of painkillers from any UK GP and you'll have a long wait !!

To the OP I carry Tramadol into Thailand in main luggage 60 tabs (1 month) but I only take half dose here in Thailand so that lasts 2 months and thats for Fibromlygia same as yourself. I keep in original dispensed packaging as a matter of course

Edited by Chivas

I have been stopped in Thailand a few times with prescribed medications (16) of them and never had a problem. Just make sure you have the original containers with your name on. And also remember to never pack your meds in the check in, Always carry it in your hand luggage.

I have been stopped in Thailand a few times with prescribed medications (16) of them and never had a problem. Just make sure you have the original containers with your name on. And also remember to never pack your meds in the check in, Always carry it in your hand luggage.

Disagree with that entirely especially if transiting via any of the Emirates

I transit via Emirates and carry prescription meds in issued packaging from NHS UK and carry my printed prescription form from Doctor, always carry in hand luggage and have never once been stopped any between UK/Abu-Dhabi/Thailand BKK or Phuket over serveral years x 3 mths supply which is most my GP will issue since the Shipment case

I transit via Emirates and carry prescription meds in issued packaging from NHS UK and carry my printed prescription form from Doctor, always carry in hand luggage and have never once been stopped any between UK/Abu-Dhabi/Thailand BKK or Phuket over serveral years x 3 mths supply which is most my GP will issue since the Shipment case

Then one day something goes wrong. Your connecting flight to Bangkok gets cancelled and you're rebooked onto a flight the next day.

They're really nice about this when it happens they put up in a nice 5 star hotel for the whole day or night during the long delay, all you need to do is collect your bags and pass through immigration and customs on your way to the hotel.

Can you see where this might go wrong ?

Don't think it can't happen, it does happen when there are flights with a low number of passengers. I know someone who this happened to recently.

Then one day something goes wrong. Your connecting flight to Bangkok gets cancelled and you're rebooked onto a flight the next day.

They're really nice about this when it happens they put up in a nice 5 star hotel for the whole day or night during the long delay, all you need to do is collect your bags and pass through immigration and customs on your way to the hotel.

Don't think it can't happen, it does happen when there are flights with a low number of passengers. I know someone who this happened to recently.

Well I was diverted to Dammann Saudi Arabia three years ago,does that count? went through their security checks X-Ray etc with hand luggage, no issues either... as said I carry my priscription cert with me showing my GPs surgery my NHS No Name DOB and address etc with all meds and qtys so is obvious they are my personal use and x 3 mths, sorry I do not see where this might go? I would never put in hold luggage as then you may get a pull IMO to explain meds in suitcase, anyway is what I do and have no probs in several years routed via emerates

Well I was diverted to Dammann Saudi Arabia three years ago,does that count? went through their security checks X-Ray etc with hand luggage, no issues either... as said I carry my priscription cert with me showing my GPs surgery my NHS No Name DOB and address etc with all meds and qtys so is obvious they are my personal use and x 3 mths, sorry I do not see where this might go? I would never put in hold luggage as then you may get a pull IMO to explain meds in suitcase, anyway is what I do and have no probs in several years routed via emerates

Well I hope that continues to work out for you.

Almost nobody will ever get 'caught' but you will read about the occasional unfortunate person who gets sentenced to 4 years in prison for something very surprising.

Well I hope that continues to work out for you.

Almost nobody will ever get 'caught' but you will read about the occasional unfortunate person who gets sentenced to 4 years in prison for something very surprising.

You are right to sound a note of caution in respect to taking medication into the UAE (Saudi is similar)

Being in "unauthorized" possession of any of long list of medications can result in problems.

https://www.fairtrials.org/press/list-of-controlled-pharmaceutical-substances-in-uae/

That people are usually not checked is not a reason to avoid complying with regulations.

A number of the meds OP is on are prescription only in Thailand (Seroquel, steroids) and some are also controlled substances here (narcotics).

Coming in with a years worth of steroids, in particular, could create problems since there are issues with illicit sales here. And as mentioned narcotics are tightly controlled.

I think he will have no problem for the non-narcotics if amounts are not more than a month or two supply. Seroquel is expensive here (so is Effexor but there's an less expensive local brand) and Thai doctors are not well versed in fibromylagia so getting the steroids prescribed could be problematic. The narcotics need a permit from the Thai FDA to bring in but this is not hard to obtain, and it is worth doing as getting them prescribed can be difficult.

This is not accurate or correct information --- sorry. It is best for the individual to check for themselves, The above statement regarding Steroids in particular is not correct, Steroids can be purchased over the counter in just about all pharmacies in thailand. well at least up to last Monday anyway.

Corticosteroids cannot legally be purchased without a prescription in Thailand.

There are pharmacies -- and street vendors -- who openly sell things that are not legal to sell. Usually in tourisr areas. Quite often these are fakes. And sometimes police operate "stings", apprehending customers as rhey leave.

Dear Friends,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me smile.png

I also asked the local Thai consulate. I don't know if the answer they provided is an official answer, anyway, they just mentioned to carry a letter from the doctor.

That is true for all but the narcotics. If you want to bring those, you need an improt permiote from the Thai FDA as previous poster explained. Tramadol is not considered a narcotic in Thailand so not that, but anything with codeine or the like.