Debate rages as girl needs 100 stitches after savage dog attack in Bangkok estate

webfact

They could at least clean up the wild soidogs without an owner.

After that we go after the owners who let their dogs run free .

We had a gang of dangerous big dogs that used to chase and snap at people who were passing on bikes

I drove over one once and a helpful Thai neighbor eventually poisoned the <deleted> lot...

They are a menace and a danger and people are outraged if you kick a dog but it's allowed to bite people..... Amazing Thailand eh

There was no "gang of dangerous dogs". Yes, some of the animals may have had defensive gestures. It is to be expected when they are terrorized and subjected to cruelty. You ran over a dog and then you applaud a Thai for poisoning the dogs? Do you understand that your statement is both a manifestation of mental illness and is a criminal act? Is your statement intended for attention seeking purposes? It is illegal to poison dogs. The fact that people do it here or that the police do not prosecute does not make it any less legal. Your statement demonstrates a lack of empathy and this in turn indicates that there is an underlying behavioral issue. Rational, same people do not make cold statements encouraging cruel acts, particularly illegal acts. Do you understand the concept of right and wrong? Apparently not.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years I have poisoned many dogs. I'm sick and tired of them coming onto MY property and worrying and or killing my poultry. My birds are free range I will not keep them cooped up. I'm not going to spend hundreds of thousands of baht erecting a chain link fence around three rai in order to keep out village dogs that crawl through my existing barbed wire fence.

If a dog comes onto MY property and takes a bait that I have laid - well tough shit. I don't give a toss whether it is legal or not and neither do the local cops. In any event it would be denied and the evidence quickly disposed of.

We had a gang of dangerous big dogs that used to chase and snap at people who were passing on bikes

I drove over one once and a helpful Thai neighbor eventually poisoned the <deleted> lot...

They are a menace and a danger and people are outraged if you kick a dog but it's allowed to bite people..... Amazing Thailand eh

There was no "gang of dangerous dogs". Yes, some of the animals may have had defensive gestures. It is to be expected when they are terrorized and subjected to cruelty. You ran over a dog and then you applaud a Thai for poisoning the dogs? Do you understand that your statement is both a manifestation of mental illness and is a criminal act? Is your statement intended for attention seeking purposes? It is illegal to poison dogs. The fact that people do it here or that the police do not prosecute does not make it any less legal. Your statement demonstrates a lack of empathy and this in turn indicates that there is an underlying behavioral issue. Rational, same people do not make cold statements encouraging cruel acts, particularly illegal acts. Do you understand the concept of right and wrong? Apparently not.

I would suggest he knows the difference between right and wrong, however seems a bit doubtful on your part justifying a pack of dogs who attack bikes etc as being right, most people would consider this as wrong. As for a manifestation of mental illness, seems once again you should review your own position in this area if the justification of being attacked by pack of dogs is considered OK.

Another thing that at annoy me is that there are no street lamps along a Soi in Hua Hin that leads to rather large Thai as well as expat communities. Apart from the viscous Soi dogs, it is pitch black, so not conducive to walking to a local restaurant at night.

Don't walk..

Or

Buy a flashlight..

For sure, don't run...

Some dogs will attack..

Just stand still -- with a flashlight pointing at it..

I would recommend a 10,000 volt cattle prod ....and use it on the mangy soi dogs even if they are not harassing you.....just to let them know who is the Alpha male.

Cheers

Dog menace - regardless of stray or owned - definitely deter people from taking up a morning walk or evening walk even on the public roads. How nice it would have been if people were realistic and not emotional on matters like "dogs"

Over the years I have poisoned many dogs. I'm sick and tired of them coming onto MY property and worrying and or killing my poultry. My birds are free range I will not keep them cooped up. I'm not going to spend hundreds of thousands of baht erecting a chain link fence around three rai in order to keep out village dogs that crawl through my existing barbed wire fence.

If a dog comes onto MY property and takes a bait that I have laid - well tough shit. I don't give a toss whether it is legal or not and neither do the local cops. In any event it would be denied and the evidence quickly disposed of.

Way to go. I've been through this problem many times, here in Thailand and back home in Australia, bloody neighbor's dogs creating problems and making life miserable. Complaining doesn't work, the owners always on the side of their animals and won't do anything to try stop the problem. Furthermore, once you complain you have identified yourself, if you take drastic action later the owner knows it was you.

I would suggest he knows the difference between right and wrong, however seems a bit doubtful on your part justifying a pack of dogs who attack bikes etc as being right, most people would consider this as wrong. As for a manifestation of mental illness, seems once again you should review your own position in this area if the justification of being attacked by pack of dogs is considered OK.

He very clearly did not justify the pack of dogs, he said that they can be understood. Can you not understand the difference?

No obviously not.

But he is absolutely right, anybody who murders dogs in cold blood is very, very clearly mentally deficient. Even those defending their beloved chickens because they are too blo..dy cheap to put up a proper fence or a bit of netting.

But I suppose a man who keeps a lot of chickens also kills a lot of chickens and so probably is a bit confused about killing.

Can you understand the difference between killing a chicken and killing a dog?

He very clearly did not justify the pack of dogs, he said that they can be understood. Can you not understand the difference?

No obviously not.

But he is absolutely right, anybody who murders dogs in cold blood is very, very clearly mentally deficient. Even those defending their beloved chickens because they are too blo..dy cheap to put up a proper fence or a bit of netting.

But I suppose a man who keeps a lot of chickens also kills a lot of chickens and so probably is a bit confused about killing.

Correct, he did not justify the pack of dogs, he simply said " "There was no "gang of dangerous dogs"." Seems you don't understand the difference between justification and denial of a stated comment.

Furthermore, it would seem that you consider it OK to be attacked by a pack of poorly treated dogs so long as you understand the motives behind the attack and knowing why they attack makes it ok, does it?

And the day I get attacked by a pack of rabid, out of control chickens, it wouldn't make any difference to me about killing a chicken or a dog.

so many times these incidents happen its becos of the owners. I have seen many Thai houses homes which they have big dogs. U know what these dogs r for? its just for guarding the house. The owners never bring their dogs out for exercises or walks.

They r just confined to the compound of house. without daily exercise these dogs will have alot of pent up energy which in turn builds to frustration and anger issues.

everytime i walk past these houses at where i lived these dogs will behave like they want to kill me.

I have a medium sized Thai Doberman mixed Dog n I walked her twice everyday. She is the most well behaved friendly dog. Even then i keep her on a leash when i walked her just in case (u wouldn't know what it takes for an animal to snap even how long or how well behaved it is)

if u want a guard dog then seek n ask for professionals to train u a guard dog. Not keep it inside your house compound for 24/7. That makes an insane angry killer dog.

so many times these incidents happen its becos of the owners. I have seen many Thai houses homes which they have big dogs. U know what these dogs r for? its just for guarding the house. The owners never bring their dogs out for exercises or walks.

They r just confined to the compound of house. without daily exercise these dogs will have alot of pent up energy which in turn builds to frustration and anger issues.

everytime i walk past these houses at where i lived these dogs will behave like they want to kill me.

I have a medium sized Thai Doberman mixed Dog n I walked her twice everyday. She is the most well behaved friendly dog. Even then i keep her on a leash when i walked her just in case (u wouldn't know what it takes for an animal to snap even how long or how well behaved it is)

if u want a guard dog then seek n ask for professionals to train u a guard dog. Not keep it inside your house compound for 24/7. That makes an insane angry killer dog.

I agree completely. Personally I've never had a soi dog come after me, every dog that's ever threatened has been someones home dog and they have no training. Barking and going after people are their only entertainment.

Have never been attacked or bailed by so called Soi Dogs. 3 weeks ago in Khon Kaen walking back to my Hotel several dogs on street barking at me. But speaking to them sternly they did not bother me. Suspect they are peoples dogs let out to wander at night. Similarly last year in Uthai Thani turned up a wrong street and had to do a U turn several dogs ran out looking menacing but did not havea go at me. In that case I looked at the Dogs and said. We are not going to hurt each other are we, This Farang is not threatening you. They did not bother me and I do not bother about them. Been around Dogs all my life and the only time one drew blood on my was a friends American Pit bull pup which bit me through the hand. Luckily he was home and I told him. Glad he was home or I would have come back and dealt with it my way. (rule 30/30) . Others have mentioned penned up dogs will little training or exercise. Yes recipes for disaster. My Dogs get time with me and exercise. 5 kids and non of mine ever bitten. All grown with families of their own and Dogs too.

No obviously not.

Correct, he did not justify the pack of dogs, he simply said " "There was no "gang of dangerous dogs"." Seems you don't understand the difference between justification and denial of a stated comment.

Furthermore, it would seem that you consider it OK to be attacked by a pack of poorly treated dogs so long as you understand the motives behind the attack and knowing why they attack makes it ok, does it?

And the day I get attacked by a pack of rabid, out of control chickens, it wouldn't make any difference to me about killing a chicken or a dog.

Well good luck with your assumptions, they are as incorrect as your understanding of the English language. If you are following this thread you would have seen all my posts which makes your assumptions just that. No actual validity, just another knee jerk response.

The owner will say the dog was just playing, what about the other dogs, mines no worse, or the girl provoked the dog. Probably upset at the girl making him lose face.

In a developed country, the dog would immediately be picked up and probably put to sleep. The owner would be fined and a possibility

of jail time! In Thailand, a developing country, a payoff to the victim and a bribe to the police. Now everything is fine! Amazing

Thailand.

The dog should have been put down, it's a killer, singer was quite right owner should be prosecuted. Dog lovers will be along in a minute to tell us all how their dogs never harmed anyone et

With the dogs it is the same as with people : there are good ones and bad ones .

Except the fact that some dogs are trained to be agressive by some owners or they are badly treated and sometimes even tortured .

I do know, Germany is not perfect.

But they do have some wise law about dogs.

1. Out of the home each dog has to be only take with a rope on it.

2. All dogs have to be registered with the owner and the owner must have an insurance.

3. The owner is responsible for the poo the dog drops on the sidewalk etc.

4. It happens but the owner has the full responsiblity for everything.

5. There are very few street dog there.

Actually, this country like to copy a lot of thinks from other countries,

but they never do copy such important thinks like these rules and law.

welcome to the stoneage.

Edited by SuwadeeS

If they supposedly love dogs so much over there (37 years in jail for insulting one of them) you would think they would take better care of them i.e. not allow so many annoying strays hanging around causing trouble like this - Strange country, values seem to oscillate with the wind.

This whole thread has gone way off topic.

We're talking about one individual, horrendous case where a young girl was savagely attacked by one dog - for no reason as far as we know.

We're guessing whether it was a bad dog/bad owner etc.

Dogs are territorial, but its extremely rare for a dog to jump up and attack that way (as per the picture).

No obviously not.

Well good luck with your assumptions, they are as incorrect as your understanding of the English language. If you are following this thread you would have seen all my posts which makes your assumptions just that. No actual validity, just another knee jerk response.

As for your contribution to this thread, belligerent and self-serving lacking very little real input other than I'm the expert on all matters relating to dogs, well for all your bluster seems you know bugger all.

One, I think the penalties against animal abuse should be much stricter.

Two, they should absolutely prosecute dog owners who don't keep their dogs controlled.

My dogs are always kept fenced in and when necessary on leaches. They aren't allowed to roam the streets, like so many people let their dogs do here. I'm surprised more dogs aren't hit by cars in our soi, because some of the owners just let the dogs run amok.

This is irresponsible, especially if the dog is dangerous.

Fortunately none of my dogs are even close to vicious, unless you consider my boy humping people's legs as vicious.

It's all how they're trained. Again, it's on the owners.

One, I think the penalties against animal abuse should be much stricter.

Two, they should absolutely prosecute dog owners who don't keep their dogs controlled.

My dogs are always kept fenced in and when necessary on leaches. They aren't allowed to roam the streets, like so many people let their dogs do here. I'm surprised more dogs aren't hit by cars in our soi, because some of the owners just let the dogs run amok.

This is irresponsible, especially if the dog is dangerous.

Fortunately none of my dogs are even close to vicious, unless you consider my boy humping people's legs as vicious.

It's all how they're trained. Again, it's on the owners.

No obviously not.

As for your contribution to this thread, belligerent and self-serving lacking very little real input other than I'm the expert on all matters relating to dogs, well for all your bluster seems you know bugger all.

well I am sure that's made your day, very useful contibution

No obviously not.

Please note, as you were so happy to nit-pick a previous poster re the missing s in neighbours cows, I think it is only fair to point out there is an r in contribution.

No obviously not.

Please note, as you were so happy to nit-pick a previous poster re the missing s in neighbours cows, I think it is only fair to point out there is an r in contribution.

Well Mr clever dick, there was no missing "s". That was not what was written or the point being made. Aaaahhhh ah.

Cow with no "s" is singular, cows with an "s' is plural. Get it?

Do try harder to keep up with your English if you always need the last word.

Its a fact cows in the fields next to my house make more noise than my dogs here in the sticks

My dogs make no noise until someone comes to the gate then all hell breaks lose ...its what they are paid to do

they are trained ..simple really

Its a fact cows in the fields next to my house make more noise than my dogs here in the sticks

My dogs make no noise until someone comes to the gate then all hell breaks lose ...its what they are paid to do

they are trained ..simple really

Another one who can't assimilate what they read and makes unwarranted assumptions. Fields? fields? who mentioned fields?

Who mentioned "all hell breaking lose"

Who said "gate", "make no noise", "sticks" or even mentioned they are "trained".

So not bad at all really, six inventions and unwarranted assumptions out of a couple of lines.

But you did at least get the "paid to do" bit right.

Well Done Sir, or Madam. Jolly Well Done.

Did you have a point to make?

I don't often reply to articles, since I get inundated with emails. However am getting a bit upset with people complaining about people's ability to use English in the correct way. As far as I understand this is a forum for expats from all over the world. Complaining about someone's ability to use the English language in a correct manner, even British people may fail your test.

How many of you speak Italian, Spanish, French, Mandarin, German etc. Those of you who complain about the lousy English are normally the ones who ONLY speak the English language, and even that at an uneducated degree. How many of you have taken the time/effort to learn other languages, but sit in your armchairs and chastise people who speak better English than you speak another language. Sick and tired of hearing this, having lived in 15 different countries in my life and made an effort to learn the languages.

Ok , off topic, keep your aggressive dogs on a leash, but we live in Thailand!

I don't often reply to articles, since I get inundated with emails. However am getting a bit upset with people complaining about people's ability to use English in the correct way. As far as I understand this is a forum for expats from all over the world. Complaining about someone's ability to use the English language in a correct manner, even British people may fail your test.

How many of you speak Italian, Spanish, French, Mandarin, German etc. Those of you who complain about the lousy English are normally the ones who ONLY speak the English language, and even that at an uneducated degree. How many of you have taken the time/effort to learn other languages, but sit in your armchairs and chastise people who speak better English than you speak another language. Sick and tired of hearing this, having lived in 15 different countries in my life and made an effort to learn the languages.

Ok , off topic, keep your aggressive dogs on a leash, but we live in Thailand!

Assuming (tongue in cheek) that this a dig at me, I am not complaining about their English. I am complaining that they make unwanted assumptions and invent things that are not factual; and they have no way of knowing any way, they just want to make kneejerk comments about something they (apparently) can't understand.

In my opinion, if you are going to comment, you should at least have the decency to try to actually read what others write. This also applies to you.

But sorry I must take issue with your main point as well, I have lived in more than 15 countries and speak a little bit of the language of most of of them. But all of them unfortunately, very, very badly, I have no natural ability in that direction and no time to learn anyway (I am always too busy helping people to learn to write good English so they can be useful Engineers and greatly enhancer their careers) so I don't try to write criticizing others in their language if I can't write it properly myself.

Like it or not, this is an English language forum.

On Topic, my dogs are not aggressive. They are all very happy dogs, but they bark at strangers like all dogs. This makes us happy too.

My dogs are reasonably obedient, but they are not trained to the standard of walk-to-heel obedience necessary for a dog in Europe or the UK (and presumably at least parts of the US) or the lovely Alsatian I had in HK and took to Singapore and the UK. You can't find that kind of trainer very easily in Thailand and its not necessary anyway, because they don't get taken out on a lead very often, they have plenty of room to run around in at home. But If I tell them to stop barking they stop.

Amazingly enough when they get taken to the vet, they behave extremely well, never fight with other animals and never are aggressive to the vet.

I do think this is an important point, Most Thai bitsa dogs that are well looked after don't attack people, they don't figure on the lists of dogs that do attack people around the world.

I have 6 soi dogs - all rescued & fabulous pets. They are not all dangerous but they are often abused which makes them aggressive. I have worked with many dogs who have been rehabilitated. However even as a dog lover & as someone who has a lot of experience with dogs I agree that the situation with dogs here is out of control. The big problem is that almost 99% of Thais never neuter their animals which is appalling. Mix abuse with all that testosterone & you so often get aggression. That dog should be euthanized but under the hypocrisy of Buddhism this never happens. Also not neutering creates who knows how many stray dogs / not to mention the dogs who are kicked out when surplus to requirements. It' s mostly not the dogs' fault, they have terrible lives here but apathy prevents a solution. The only way to stop this nightmare is a mandatory spay/neuter program. No use sending stray dogs to Vietnam, there's a never ending supply which should tackled as a priority. But I have no hope that things will prove. Feel so sorry for this little girl. What a terrible experience

Whereas I would agree that culling of any kind is a waste of time (regardless of any perceived cruelty aspect).

Spaying/neutering is effective on small dog population (e.g. islands) but far too costly for the massive dog population on the Thai mainland.

Dog populations rely on a food supply - the only really effective long-term solution is to cut off the food supply.

So rubbish needs to be disposed of better. - this is a civic hygiene matter anyway.

fly tipping needs to be stopped.

The general populace needs to be educated NOT the feed dogs

...and any other measures that will reduce the food available to these animals.

I have 6 soi dogs - all rescued & fabulous pets. They are not all dangerous but they are often abused which makes them aggressive. I have worked with many dogs who have been rehabilitated. However even as a dog lover & as someone who has a lot of experience with dogs I agree that the situation with dogs here is out of control. The big problem is that almost 99% of Thais never neuter their animals which is appalling. Mix abuse with all that testosterone & you so often get aggression. That dog should be euthanized but under the hypocrisy of Buddhism this never happens. Also not neutering creates who knows how many stray dogs / not to mention the dogs who are kicked out when surplus to requirements. It' s mostly not the dogs' fault, they have terrible lives here but apathy prevents a solution. The only way to stop this nightmare is a mandatory spay/neuter program. No use sending stray dogs to Vietnam, there's a never ending supply which should tackled as a priority. But I have no hope that things will prove. Feel so sorry for this little girl. What a terrible experience

Whereas I would agree that culling of any kind is a waste of time (regardless of any perceived cruelty aspect).

Spaying/neutering is effective on small dog population (e.g. islands) but far too costly for the massive dog population on the Thai mainland.

Dog populations rely on a food supply - the only really effective long-term solution is to cut off the food supply.

So rubbish needs to be disposed of better. - this is a civic hygiene matter anyway.

fly tipping needs to be stopped.

The general populace needs to be educated NOT the feed dogs

...and any other measures that will reduce the food available to these animals.

The general population needs to be educated to look after dogs then there would not be a problem.

Spaying/neutering is dirt cheap in Thailand.

But it's those people who openly boast of their cruelty on TV that need to be culled.

• 2 weeks later...

Dogs do not attack for no reason.

Rubbish, they do an kill hundreds worldwide every year

So do many things. Please quote a whole article not a select part. Obvious you must be journalist and Dog expert

Unlike humans or like humans - dogs attack for a reason..

When a dog attacks, it has it's reasons..

The girl ran... There is your reason..

kiwiken

so this dog chases me down the road because i have a red motorbike, or the engine is to loud, or just has a problem with me,

or don't have permission from it to use that road ????? bull sh-t.maybe in NZ the dogs are more mis-concerning.

I wrote a paragraph and yet several have taken just the first line to criticise me. Why when it is stated you cannot use a part does this happen. To look like I justify uncontrolled dogs when that was never what I said. personally and I have neither the opportunity nor the ability I would exterminate all stray Dogs wandering the streets. In my Country they are impounded and if new homes cannot be found they are usually euthanised within a month or less depending On Local Body Policies.

So why dont you cut up my sentences and make out I want to save and breed the Stray dogs in thailand.