Westerners waiing to Thais.Why would you?

garryjohns

A Thai poster writes, " Dear Agony Aunt, I now live in the UK and everyone here wants to shake my hand when we meet and I think this is stupid, why would I bow to some stupid local custom, what do you advise".

Readers can construct their own replies as they see fit.

The vast majority of citizens of the world do participate in handshakes.

Going to the UK, for the majority of people and shaking hands would be "normal" behaviour, not a stupid local custom.

Totally different for the majority of people of the world who customarily shake hands in their own countries coming to Thailand and waiing as this thread is about.

Edited by garryjohns

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Thai poster writes, " Dear Agony Aunt, I now live in the UK and everyone here wants to shake my hand when we meet and I think this is stupid, why would I bow to some stupid local custom, what do you advise".

The vast majority of citizens of the world do participate in shake hands.

Going to the UK, for the majority of people and shaking hands would be "normal" behaviour, not a stupid local custom.

Totally different for the majority of people of the world who customarily shake hands in their own countries coming to Thailand and waiing as this thread is about.

Just because you say it it is so does not meet the requirement for it to be a fact. And even if the handshake were shown to be the preferred method greeting by a small margin, over and above any other form, please explain why it must take preference and be the global standard at the expense of all other forms of greeting.

Going to the UK Thailand, for the majority of people and shaking hands wai'ing would be "normal" behaviour, not a stupid local custom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_greeting

Just because you say it it is so does not meet the requirement for it to be a fact. And even if the handshake were shown to be the preferred method greeting by a small margin, over and above any other form, please explain why it must take preference and be the global standard at the expense of all other forms of greeting.

Going to the UK Thailand, for the majority of people and shaking hands wai'ing would be "normal" behaviour, not a stupid local custom.

Got me beat with this post.

Try again when you're sober maybe.wai.gif

PS; you ask "please explain why it must take preference and be the global standard at the expense of all other forms of greeting."

I can't explain it for you, its just the way it is. Yes?

But (as it appears from this thread) that Thai's do not expect foreigners to Wai, then that is surely something positive. i wish folk from hand shaking countries had the same attitude and did not consider it rude to refuse. We all know the type that want to shake your hand and hold it with such a firm grip just to try and show they are superior.

If you don't want to or can't debate the issue with me that's fine, no need to be offensive though as a cover up for that! Out.

^^^^^^^

https://en.wikipedia...i/Thai_greeting

If you don't want to or can't debate the issue with me that's fine, no need to be offensive though as a cover up for that! Out.

Hey, the floor is yours.

I said originally "The vast majority of citizens of the world do participate in shake hands."

You replied "

"Just because you say it it is so does not meet the requirement for it to be a fact. And even if the handshake were shown to be the preferred method greeting by a small margin, over and above any other form, please explain why it must take preference and be the global standard at the expense of all other forms of greeting. "

Nothing for me to debate mate....I believe that what i said is indeed factual, .{ my appologies for assuming you were drinking, but your reply is rather "confused"}

Your move...I await your attempt to debate this statement ,go for it! Out.

Edited by garryjohns

Maybe I can add some information to this discussion.

Handshaking has been traced as far back as 2800 B.C. in Egypt so it would not be surprising that it is found in common usage throughout the world. In my research I find the handshake is a common gesture in society in the following selected regions/countries1 that amounts in total to about 72% of the world population:

Country World Population2

North America 4.9%

Central America 2.4%

South America 5.7%

UE 6.7%

China 18.6%

Russia 1.9%

Philippines 1.4%

Africa 16.1%

Middle East 8.0%

Bangladesh 2.2%

Malaysia 0.4%

Indonesia 3.5%

Countries where the handshake is not a common gesture in society are India, Japan, Thailand and Myanmar that amount in total to about 21% of the world population.

Note however, that about 5% Thailand's population includes muslims largely concentrated in the South. Muslims traditionally in the Middle East use the handshake and do not use the wai. So prevalence of the wai in the South may be more the result of forced integration of Muslims into Thai society than one of Muslim custom.

1 http://www.expatinfodesk.com/blog/2012/02/09/a-global-guide-to-the-good-old-fashioned-handshake/ and http://mentalfloss.com/article/54063/what-proper-handshake-etiquette-around-world as examples

2 http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/population-by-country/

Handshaking has been traced as far back as 2800 B.C. in Egypt so it would not be surprising that it is found in common usage throughout the world. In my research I find the handshake is a common gesture in society in the following selected regions/countries1 that amounts in total to about 72% of the world population:

North America 4.9%

Central America 2.4%

South America 5.7%

UE 6.7%

China 18.6%

Russia 1.9%

Philippines 1.4%

Africa 16.1%

Middle East 8.0%

Bangladesh 2.2%

Malaysia 0.4%

Indonesia 3.5%

Countries where the handshake is not a common gesture in society are India, Japan, Thailand and Myanmar that amount in total to about 21% of the world population.

Note however, that about 5% Thailand's population includes muslims largely concentrated in the South. Muslims traditionally in the Middle East use the handshake and do not use the wai. So prevalence of the wai in the South may be more the result of forced integration of Muslims into Thai society than one of Muslim custom.

1 http://www.expatinfodesk.com/blog/2012/02/09/a-global-guide-to-the-good-old-fashioned-handshake/ and http://mentalfloss.com/article/54063/what-proper-handshake-etiquette-around-world as examples

Thank you, i looked briefly for such info, but didn't try too hard in response to 'chiang mai' debate challenge as it was very logical to believe that , as i said, the majority [72% makes a majority right?} do indeed shake hands. Out.

But i would prefer the Wai as a gesture of friendship and greeting were it not based on superiority.

I wai people who behave in ways which earn my respect regardless of their socio-economic status. They understand sincerity and get it.

North America 4.9%

Central America 2.4%

South America 5.7%

UE 6.7%

China 18.6%

Russia 1.9%

Philippines 1.4%

Africa 16.1%

Middle East 8.0%

Bangladesh 2.2%

Malaysia 0.4%

Indonesia 3.5%

Thank you, i looked briefly for such info, but didn't try too hard in response to 'chiang mai' debate challenge as it was very logical to believe that , as i said, the majority [72% makes a majority right?} do indeed shake hands. Out.

The numbers in the chart are seriously flawed, some of them assume the entire population shakes hands as its preferred method of greeting!

Indonesia for example is 86% Muslim where their religion forbids contact between men and unrelated women hence handshake is not the norm., ditto the 1.6 billion Muslims globally.

And India represents 1.4 billion people out of a global population of circa 7.6 billion, the handshake is not the dominant form of greeting in India.

China, population 1.5 billion, huge numbers of rural Chinese have never seen a Westerner let alone shook hands before.

Middle East, population 250 million, the handshake is not the norm.

Japan, population ....

Enough already, 72% my Aunt Fanny!

North America 4.9%

Central America 2.4%

South America 5.7%

UE 6.7%

China 18.6%

Russia 1.9%

Philippines 1.4%

Africa 16.1%

Middle East 8.0%

Bangladesh 2.2%

Malaysia 0.4%

Indonesia 3.5%

The numbers in the chart are seriously flawed, some of them assume the entire population shakes hands as its preferred method of greeting!

Indonesia for example is 86% Muslim where their religion forbids contact between men and unrelated women hence handshake is not the norm., ditto the 1.6 billion Muslims globally.

And India represents 1.4 billion people out of a global population of circa 7.6 billion, the handshake is not the dominant form of greeting in India.

China, population 1.5 billion, huge numbers of rural Chinese have never seen a Westerner let alone shook hands before.

Japan, population ....

Your aunt's fanny?

Please note what I said, "common gesture in society."

For example. It is typical in Muslim society that men do not shake hands with nonfamilia women but they do commonly shakehands with men and that makes it common in society as opposed to being uncommon. And such societies in business settings (especially with foreigners) allow some deviations of Muslim rules. The same could be said of the wai in that there are classes of people who do not return the wai nor receive a wai. That doesn't invalidate the wai as being common in Thai society.

Unless you have personal knowledge of the billions of people in the regions and countries I've cited, you should share your references to back your statements. Otherwise you're just being provocative but not very informative.

The 72% might be higher as I did not explore usage of the handshake (Google - "Handshake custom in region/country name") with every nation in the world, ie., Asia and Oceana regions.

I agree with the OP, waing is totally unnecessary for foreigners, especially because they dont even know how to do it properly. Me neither. However, i still wai sometimes, when i feel like it.
I wai to my tailor, because i had sex with his wife, so i feel that i should show some respect. I wai to the immigration officer, because he is so law abiding.
I wai to my lover, after due maintenance. I also wai to my gf`s mom, because she doesnt like me.

So you quite clearly have not read the reasons in this thread why some choose not to 'Wai'. Nothing to do with wanting to be rude or being ignorant!

Actually your Post is rude and ignorant to people who have a different view from you.

So you quite clearly have not read the reasons in this thread why some choose not to 'Wai'. Nothing to do with wanting to be rude or being ignorant!

Actually your Post is rude and ignorant to people who have a different view from you.

The rude and ignorant can behave as they wish ------------

I will continue to be polite and well mannered wai2.gif

I wai people who behave in ways which earn my respect regardless of their socio-economic status. They understand sincerity and get it.

I quite like and understand that but i wonder if you are turning the Wai into something you would like it to be, rather than what it really is.

North America 4.9%

Central America 2.4%

South America 5.7%

UE 6.7%

China 18.6%

Russia 1.9%

Philippines 1.4%

Africa 16.1%

Middle East 8.0%

Bangladesh 2.2%

Malaysia 0.4%

Indonesia 3.5%

Japan, population ....

Your aunt's fanny?

Please note what I said, "common gesture in society."

For example. It is typical in Muslim society that men do not shake hands with nonfamilia women but they do commonly shakehands with men and that makes it common in society as opposed to being uncommon. And such societies in business settings (especially with foreigners) allow some deviations of Muslim rules. The same could be said of the wai in that there are classes of people who do not return the wai nor receive a wai. That doesn't invalidate the wai as being common in Thai society.

Unless you have personal knowledge of the billions of people in the regions and countries I've cited, you should share your references to back your statements. Otherwise you're just being provocative but not very informative.

The 72% might be higher as I did not explore usage of the handshake (Google - "Handshake custom in region/country name") with every nation in the world, ie., Asia and Oceana regions.

My sincere apologies, I skipped over the fact that you did indeed write, "a common gesture in society" and you did not write anything nearly like the words, "is practised in these countries to a majority extent", as another poster implies.

I stand corrected.

My sincere apologies, I skipped over the fact that you did indeed write, "a common gesture in society" and you did not write anything nearly like the words, "is practised in these countries to a majority extent", as another poster implies.

I stand corrected.

Last gasp at defending your off topic rave is to imply that i said something that only is in your own small troll mind.

I said originally "The vast majority of citizens of the world do participate in shake hands."

Which you turned into; "is practised in these countries to a majority extent", as another poster implies.

So much for your "debate" ..Out!

post-224886-0-00405500-1464576686_thumb.

Edited by garryjohns

I stand corrected.

Last gasp at defending your off topic rave is to imply that i said something that only is in your own small troll mind.

Which you turned into; "is practised in these countries to a majority extent", as another poster implies.

attachicon.gifimages (8).jpg

You're quite young and immature I note, you post abusively, call an entire population of 70 million stupid plus you can't read, all of that in just two posts! - I don't think you and I can sensibly debate anything. Byee!.

I stand corrected.

attachicon.gifimages (8).jpg

You're quite young and immature I note, you post abusively, call an entire population of 70 million stupid plus you can't read, all of that in just two posts! - I don't think you and I can sensibly debate anything. Byee!.

Wait, wait ,wait, before you throw all your toys out of the sandpit and go troll, play elsewhere, please show me where i ever called an entire population of 70 million stupid,as you accuse me of here.

I quite like and understand that but i wonder if you are turning the Wai into something you would like it to be, rather than what it really is.

"I wai people who behave in ways which earn my respect regardless of their socio-economic status. They understand sincerity and get it."

This comment sounds rather condescending to me. Perhaps we can all assume your are perfect.

It's sometimes funny to watch when newbies and tourists wai the bell boy, the girl in the 7/11 twenty something year old taxi driver.

It's sometimes tragic when 'old hands' sit there and judge everyone.

Tell me you've never smiled to yourself when you've seen such things and if you can, I promise to think from now onwards that you're perfect in every way.

It's sometimes funny to watch when newbies and tourists wai the bell boy, the girl in the 7/11 twenty something year old taxi driver.

It is funny indeed,but its not funny when you make insinuations against me that are simply lies !

Show me where i said that 70 million people are stupid .

You cant, can you and you are not man enough to admit it,bah.gif

It is funny indeed,but its not funny when you make insinuations against me that are simply lies !

Show me where i said that 70 million people are stupid .

You cant, can you and you are not man enough to admit it,bah.gif

passifier.gif Oh, OK then:

"shaking hands would be "normal" behaviour, not a stupid local custom".

Learn how to do it - respect......

We are in Their culture & Their world.....

Not yours....Learn to respect & accept centuries old traditions and cultural nuances.....

Or leave.....

Respect and accept it two different think..

I have MY culture and tradition , and i follow only MY culture and tradition..

Its not mean I do not respect another culture..

and yes, I do not on their own land. I am as guest.For Guests cultural anywhere are always made to respect to. and do not ask follow domestic cultural( its up to guest )

People who do not follow the traditions of their ancestors. not credible.

as fish downstream. without my pride and Honor..