Religion

Seems to come up fairly often in the threads, though usually off topic, so lets take the pulse of the religiosity of TV members.

Atheist? Agnostic? Christian? Buddhist? Muslim? Other?

For the record, I am a lifelong strong atheist...vampire.gif

Edited by Skeptic7

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Pastafarian and follow the gospel of The Flying Spaghetti Monster....

The Pastafarian conception of Heaven includes a beer volcano and a stripper and prostitute factory.

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Pastafarian

Very familiar with Pastsfaria. No stranger or stupider or any less believable than all the others! And at least Pasta is real! Edited by Skeptic7

I dont have any imaginary friends.smile.png

Never mind; maybe you're not mixing in the right circles.

surely you mean the right "imaginary" circles?laugh.png

I find that imaginary friends are the most outspoken, and the most able to cut through the bullshit

Yerdedonthair, bytheway, Cowboy. Mind, yeneverlistentaeembdy, imaginry or real, cuz yer jist a fictition yersel;.

At least Ah've goat a Facebook Page. Whit've you got?

RIBB

I don't quite know how to respond to that, to be honest

SC

God.

If she didn't exist, we'd have to invent her! coffee1.gif

God, like courage, exists in people's hearts. Let an atheist deny courage, and then they can deny God.

To say something exists only in peoples minds is to acknowledge its' existence. I don;t know any atheists that would deny God exists in people's minds.

SC

Religion is for lazy people

if you have good parents you're good person.

I think that is a gross insult to my parents.

They did their best, but at the end of the day, I have to take responsibility for myself and my own behaviour

SC

Wondered if it was really appropriate to reply seriously here given the tonality so far tongue.png ... anyway here's my shot.

Baptised catholic christian here, never practiced my given religion because I don't recognize my beliefs in it. I do believe in a kind of supreme being but my interaction with this being is completely private and devoid of any human-imposed rules. I wouldn't share what it's made of with anyone.

I have been interested in Buddhism when coming to Thailand, tried to get a small grip because I was seduced by its openness, the karma and enlightenment concepts and the lesser moral rules. However I can't get over the tight relation between money and Buddhism in Thailand and that was a show-stopper. Maybe my catholic culture showing up here. I don't go to wats anymore except for "mandatory" ceremonies like funerals of people from my closest circle.

Edited by Lannig

I'm trying to think of any time I have heard a religious person rubbishing the views of agnostics or atheists. I've read plenty of stuff from religious people expressing their view of what God thinks, and many people thanking God for the good things in their life, but only atheists blaming God for the troubles of the world,

SC

Not raised (very) religious (not even BAPTISED!), but I poked around curiously with various religions and spiritualities from time to time, with the idea that you don't have to believe in the Easter bunny in order to eat the candy.

Buddhism makes more sense than any of the others. My late wife was a serious practicing Buddhist and she had a heart of gold. I mostly know the sects of Buddhism practiced in Japan, and Thai Buddhism is quite different indeed. It will take some getting used to.