Starbucks Aroma Spreads in Phnom Penh

geovalin

Khmer Times/May Kunmakara

Something’s brewing in the heart of the city and Starbucks lovers in Phnom Penh can now have their favorite brand of coffee in the capital’s largest shopping mall. Almost six months after opening its doors to Cambodians and foreigners at the departure lounge of Phnom Penh International Airport, the ubiquitous Seattle-based American coffee brand Starbucks set up its second branch at Aeon Mall yesterday to cater to the rising number of affluent coffee lovers in the city.

Mr. Por Lim, General Manager of Starbucks Cambodia, said yesterday during a press conference to launch the company’s second branch that due to consumer support from both Cambodians and foreigners the company saw great potential in its expansion in the country, especially in Phnom Penh.

“We opened our branch inside the Phnom Penh International Airport last December and we really got support from both local and foreign customers. That is why we decided to open our second outlet in Aeon. We studied the market for a few years and also researched consumer preferences,” said Mr. Lim. “I think the concept of a coffee shop is changing. People prefer cafes and like to come to a place where they can meet their friends and also talk about work while drinking quality coffee,” he added.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/25399/starbucks-aroma-spreads-in-phnom-penh/

I personally cannot stand any coffee. However my wife loves it, rarely enters a Starbucks (only as a last resort), but was very happy with the local "Brown's Coffee Shop" chain in Phnom Penh and went there many times during our stay. Costa from the UK also seems to be very active in the market.

cambodia has micro roasters that use ethiopian, indonesian, south american, coffees etc et. costs less than starbucks and a whole lot better. many cambo coffee shops use cafe carraro from italy 1usd per cup and excellent coffee.

I've only had 2 or 3 better cups of coffee than Starbucks in Thailand. Probably the best coffee in Thailand is at Ristr8to in Chiang Mai. Many places buy the cheapest beans, and sometimes those have molds, or are simply not prepared properly through the long processes of getting the bean to the cafe.

There just needs to be more expertise here. They have great coffees in SE Asia

Edited by Redline

i judge coffee beans on the shot of espresso pulled. no bitterness preferred, flavors; nutty, chocolate, fruity can drink even without sugar and tastes nice.

the vast majority of coffee shops use cheap or mediocre beans than add steamed milk and a bunch of sugary flavors. amusing in that even some places use pricey lavazza or illy beans but do not setup their grinder correctly thus produce very mediocre shots with pricey beans. in addition i have noticed they often do not refrigerate the beans overnight leading to rapid staleness.

there are some very good espresso shops in bkk.

have a look at https://www.facebook.com/pacamaracoffee/info/?tab=overview at sukumwit 47 in a small shopping mall. theowner/roaster studied in usa and europe. can be likened to a good italian roastmaster. they are fanatical about coffee. i believe have either slayer or synesso espresso machines. there is a napoli blend (thai coffee blended with import beans to produce a napoli like coffee) 1 kg 500 baht and so forth is very reasonable

http://www.espressofriend.com/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9F

I've only had 2 or 3 better cups of coffee than Starbucks in Thailand. Probably the best coffee in Thailand is at Ristr8to in Chiang Mai. Many places buy the cheapest beans, and sometimes those have molds, or are simply not prepared properly through the long processes of getting the bean to the cafe.

There just needs to be more expertise here. They have great coffees in SE Asia

Try an Americano at the coffee shop attached to Rimping Supermarket near the Nawarat Bridge.