Liberians caught in Sukhumvit with fake US dollars

webfact

Liberians caught in Sukhumvit with fake US dollars

lib1.jpg
Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- Immigration police acting on a tip off rounded up two Liberian nationals with 200,000 baht in fake US dollars.

David Neal and Mathas Davies were also found to be on overstay for many years reported tnamacot

They were making their money by tricking Thais as well as foreigners. The dollars had come from the United Nations, they said, and had fake UN stamps that could only be cleaned off by buying a special liquid that they would sell to gullible people for between 100 - 500,000 baht a time. Many people fell for the ruse.

Sixty fake dollar bills worth 200,000 were taken into evidence. The pair were found to have entered Thailand on tourist visas and had rented their Sukhumvit Soi 4 apartment for eight months.

Police are expanding the enquiry to find out where the notes were printed. They said they expect that a Thai person is behind the gang's activities.

Source: tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-27

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ingenuity of these scammers is amazing. A librarian is the last person I would expect to be passing phony bills.

Yup, my ageing brain read it like that too :)

In which parallel universe are their people who are so stupid to buy USD bills from a bunch of Liberians Ok lets say people of West African heritage that have a stamp on them that can be cleaned off rendering the bill legit........

Im in the wrong game and universe.... there is just so much tidal land with great views that I could sell if I can get to that parallel universe......

Really amazes me

The ingenuity of these scammers is amazing. A librarian is the last person I would expect to be passing phony bills.

Try Liberia, a country in West Africa, capital Monrovia.

Good lord, try humour.

Good lord, try humour.

If that is your attempt at humour, can I ask from what part of America you are from ?

And these rocket surgeons (humor intended) are not going small. The sixty bills average $3,000 per bill. The clowns receiving the bills deserve their losses as well.

The 60 bills were reportedly worth 200,000 baht, not dollars, one would assume.

I am surprised that the Police making a fuss about a trade that is rampant in soi 5 and right outside 7/11 behind Grace Hotel.Many times I was approached by African guys offering USD at 10% of their real value.

What is it with Thailand that attracts West African criminals?Liberia itself was formed (1822) by settling ex slaves from America. It was thought a good idea to send them back to their ancestral Continent. The place itself has basically been a failure from it's inception, so I suppose it's not surprising that some of it's citizens will try their luck elsewhere.

Good lord, try humour.
If that is your attempt at humour, can I ask from what part of America you are from ?
Liberia.

And these rocket surgeons (humor intended) are not going small. The sixty bills average $3,000 per bill. The clowns receiving the bills deserve their losses as well.

The 60 bills were $100 dollar bills totaling 200,000 baht.$6000 = 210,000 at 35 to 1..But it's the TV editors and reporters and not the math here

Edited by sanukjim

I thought librarians were people that looked after books....and generally nice people.

This is a shock to me that librarians would do the old dirty money that can be cleaned trick.....

Is that not "Lesbians"... Your thinking of... ????

Mmmm going by current exchange rates my calculation is 60 $100 US bills, maybe they are not the only rocket surgeons.

In which parallel universe are their people who are so stupid to buy USD bills from a bunch of Liberians Ok lets say people of West African heritage that have a stamp on them that can be cleaned off rendering the bill legit........

Im in the wrong game and universe.... there is just so much tidal land with great views that I could sell if I can get to that parallel universe......

Really amazes me

I remember back in grade school, and later on television, particularly the westerns, learning about the many con artists and snake oil salesmen and shysters from the old days. And I remember as a kid thinking how good it was that people were smarter "now", and no longer susceptible to all that. And later on still, hearing the "one born every minute" thing - I just could not believe that people were really truly that stupid. Surely people wouldn't repeat over & over again the obvious, well-documented, mistakes of the past. Surely no parent would raise a kid without teaching 'em about all that. Surely you couldn't get through school without learning about it. But it truly is a matter of human nature. People want to believe they can get something for nothing, and so they will believe it. People can take advantage of their naïve, gullible, fellow man, and so they simply do. 'Happens in business. 'Happens in politics (how many people believed everything Obama promised them?!). 'Happens in advertising. Criminals rely on this. Some dimwits right here on TVF constantly remind us that anything and anybody is fair game and crime is OK if you're "needy". No need at all for a parallel universe, unless you're looking for that place where everybody walks around with common sense and a reasonably functional brain.

Umm, I think The quote was sorta 'tongue in cheek.'

I thought librarians were people that looked after books....and generally nice people.

This is a shock to me that librarians would do the old dirty money that can be cleaned trick.....

Don't know where you were taught to read; not very successful, were you?

I am surprised that the Police making a fuss about a trade that is rampant in soi 5 and right outside 7/11 behind Grace Hotel.Many times I was approached by African guys offering USD at 10% of their real value.

Now be fair. That's too hard for the RTP or Immigration police to spot !

"...sell to gullible people for between 100 - 500,000 baht a time. Many people fell for the ruse."

The old saw "You can't cheat an honest man" comes to mind. Or at least a bit more difficult to cheat an honest man