IKEA - shopping from Pattaya

thaitero

I was thinking to do some (or almost all) IKEA-furniture shopping for condounit here in Pattaya.

Is it best to use their reccomended delivery/assembly services or somebody from Pattaya ?

If somebody from Pattaya then who can you reccommend ?

Any other pattaya specific tips ?

I myself do not have car or assembly skills..rolleyes.gif

Thanks

Edited by thaitero

I drive there myself and put the things together myself. Assembly really isnt hard. If you dont have a car then it should be cheap enough to hire a bloke with a pick-up for a half day. He can help carry the boxes into your house/condo too! Given that you have to go there anyway for the purchase it should work out cheaper that way.

Your condo building should have a "technician" who can put such items together for an official fee or tip, if you prefer.

Warning: always phone ahead to check stock unless you enjoy shopping and dont care about a wasted trip. Their website stock levels are NOT reliable.

Edited by KittenKong

Given that you have to go there anyway for the purchase

I thought Ikea had a web site with online payment and could deliver just about anywhere in Thailand ( for a fee ) why do you have to physically go to the shop ?

I thought Ikea had a web site with online payment and could deliver just about anywhere in Thailand ( for a fee ) why do you have to physically go to the shop ?

I thought that too but it seems you can just make a "shoppinglist" at their website and send it to email or print it.. but you have to go to IKEA to do at least the payment physically ..facepalm.gif

Edited by thaitero

They have an ordering/pick-up depot in Phuket but no online ordering that I know of.

As far as i know delivery/assembly services are just additional services which you can buy from IKEA or from somebody else..

yes your right ikea charge you a delivery charge and then something like 10% of the order cost for assembly

As mentioned above you only get a "pick list" from their online system. You have to get you stuff yourself, pay for it and then you can get transport and assembly service at the counter to the right of the cashier checkout counter. This services are handled by a third party that have a deal with IKEA.

I would love IKEA to start a online order system as they have in other parts of the world.

Have you tried Index? Their merchandise is pretty similar to IKEA and the prices include delivery and installation. We bought most of our furniture there and were pleased with the prices, quality and service.

Edited by ftpjtm

As mentioned above you only get a "pick list" from their online system. You have to get you stuff yourself, pay for it and then you can get transport and assembly service at the counter to the right of the cashier checkout counter. This services are handled by a third party that have a deal with IKEA.

I would love IKEA to start a online order system as they have in other parts of the world.

If i understood this correctly, i can not just pop in to IKEA with my "online shopping list", tell my address in Pattaya, agree delivery/assembly date, just pay and go to Suva or where ever i want to go..

So I have to physically pick all the furniture also myself and deal with different people to get this done.... facepalm.gif

How stupid and inconvienent system is this,,,blink.png

I bet delivery and assembly guys are also different and have to be agreed separately, right?

Edited by thaitero

Have you tried Index? Their merchandise is pretty similar to IKEA and the prices include delivery and installation. We bought most of our furniture there and were pleased with the prices, quality and service.

No i have not, but i will check them out, thanksthumbsup.gif

If i understood this correctly, i can not just pop in to IKEA with my "online shopping list", tell my address in Pattaya, agree delivery/assembly date, just pay and go to Suva or where ever i want to go..

So I have to physically pick all the furniture also myself and deal with different people to get this done.... facepalm.gif

How stupid and inconvienent system is this,,,blink.png

That's correct.

I guess we have to use "Thainess" to understand the logic

I would say Index is even better. Yes, the most important difference between Index and IKEA is free delivery and free assembly, as long as your purchase adds up to 7000 baht.

Why use an imported brand when the locals are just as good, if not better? It's like buying a VW in Thailand when the assembled in Thailand Hondas and Toyotas are available.

I would say Index is even better. Yes, the most important difference between Index and IKEA is free delivery and free assembly, as long as your purchase adds up to 7000 baht.

Why use an imported brand when the locals are just as good, if not better? It's like buying a VW in Thailand when the assembled in Thailand Hondas and Toyotas are available.

Most things I've looked at and bought at Index were rubbish when compared to similar IKEA products. No comparison at all.

I did buy a very good reclining chair and footrest there though.

No i have not, but i will check them out, thanksthumbsup.gif

Index Living Mall at the intersection between Sukhumvit and Pattaya Klang is your best choice. Index has a "cheaper" range called Winners, just as SB Furniture has a poor cousin called "Koncept". If you decide to go upmarket, you can drop by BoConcept, which is adjacent to Index Living Mall.

Don't waste time on IKEA. They are going to charge you more for delivery outside Bangkok. And additional charges for delivery and assembly is just ridiculous.

If you dont have a car then it should be cheap enough to hire a bloke with a pick-up for a half day. He can help carry the boxes into your house/condo too! Given that you have to go there anyway for the purchase it should work out cheaper that way.

Your condo building should have a "technician" who can put such items together for an official fee or tip, if you prefer.

Warning: always phone ahead to check stock unless you enjoy shopping and dont care about a wasted trip. Their website stock levels are NOT reliable.

So for Pattaya, so far i think this KittenKong advice is the best one..

One handyman guy from Pattaya who can do delivery and assembly, all done in one day, if going to IKEA in morning..

Anyone who knows contactdetails for a such person, i would like to have contactdetails.

Thanks.

If you dont have a car then it should be cheap enough to hire a bloke with a pick-up for a half day. He can help carry the boxes into your house/condo too! Given that you have to go there anyway for the purchase it should work out cheaper that way.

One handyman guy from Pattaya who can do delivery and assembly, all done in one day, if going to IKEA in morning..

Anyone who knows contactdetails for a such person, i would like to have contactdetails.

Thanks.

It's too early to pronounce the "winner" for best advice, not until you have visited Index Living Mall.

Thanks.

It's too early to pronounce the "winner" for best advice, not until you have visited Index Living Mall.

Well, thanks for directions to Index and i will of cource visit index and i may see there something i like but for quality i can not see that and index means as brand nothing to me.. But then again IKEA means something to me as i know them from my homecountry and it means that they have good quality products for a reasonably price tag.

When in the UK, my (then) farang wife & I bought an Ikea glass-fronted cabinet with shelves to display our fine array of crystal-ware. We loaded it into our car (very heavy) & took it home. We then spent over 44 man-hours (over 3 days) trying to put it together using the diagrams provided. (No words.) When finished it looked magnificent but we had lots of screws & stuff left over. As far as I know it is still standing. Get a handyman I'm sure he'll do it in under a day.

the ikea level of quality and customer service is very good at the store.

given the demographic and competence within the country outside the stores it is not possible to maintain that same standard as they can do in scandinavia, germany, usa, etc. ikeas cannot turn all the dysfunction into function.

I checked their website again and it seems they have a new "PICKING WITH DELIVERY" -service, meaning you do not need to deal with furnitureboxes yourself but there is no "one stop service" for all of this yet..

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_TH/service-offer/picking-with-delivery/index.html

Well, well , Not perfect but better than i thought before taking a closer look..rolleyes.gif

Edited by thaitero

Index is overpriced and pretend to be Hi-So.

Winner furniture is their sister brand, they are usually in the same building. very similar to Ikea. nicely priced good quality. home delivery and installation included. so if you go Index Living Mall, look for winner Furniture...

They even have their own catalogue, price difference is about 50 % and they are under same roof...... facepalm.gif

TIT

Edited by Nelson1950

I bought some stuff from IKEA few mo ago and had delivered to Pattaya. Recall delivery was 3000baht so not much, stuff worth about 100k bt.

Some items were out of stock at the time I made the purchase & payment (in store), however they said they will deliver separately at no additional

charge when items arrive (scheduled about a week later).

Before the second part of delivery, I wanted to add some items to my list (kitchen cabinet add-ons). No problem to add the items and

have them included to the second delivery, no additional delivery charge either. You just need to know the item codes, have some

email comms and then once you get the price quote, go to bank and pay i.e even if they do not have online shopping as web store,

effectively you can do the same by emailing with customer service.

Overall, a good experience with their customer service via email. And about quality, as scandinavian for some reason I find IKEA quality

better than local Index etc even if some might feel other way, and I think price actually cheaper in IKEA as well. Was similar in China

when lived there, local copies were crap and higher priced than IKEA.

When in the UK, my (then) farang wife & I bought an Ikea glass-fronted cabinet with shelves to display our fine array of crystal-ware. We loaded it into our car (very heavy) & took it home. We then spent over 44 man-hours (over 3 days) trying to put it together using the diagrams provided. (No words.) When finished it looked magnificent but we had lots of screws & stuff left over. As far as I know it is still standing. Get a handyman I'm sure he'll do it in under a day.

Depending on what you buy, some of it is incredibly complicated to assemble. We bought 2 complete bedroom sets from Index and it was amazing to watch the installation guys put it all together in about 30 minutes due to their experience assembling that stuff.

No way could any "handyman" do that, it would take them hours to try to figure it all out, and when done there would likely be plenty of hardware and accessories left over.

I'd definitely go with the professional installers from IKEA if you can't find something you like at Index or another local place offering free installation.