Your Electric Bill...you must confess!

KhonKaenKowboy

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my last electricty bill was the highest in 10 years; 689 Baht (per day).

You got me beat 752 for my condo. I wonder if the rates are equal? About 5 years ago I lived with a girl in Ubon. We had the covers up to our neck all night with the A/C running and the bill was never over 600 bahts a month. I found this amazing.

you missed "per day" sad.png my rate for apr/may was 4.334 Baht/kWh (VAT etc. included).

my last electricty bill was the highest in 10 years; 689 Baht (per day).

21,000 per month?

That's fairly hefty.

Mine is usually 12,000 - 14,000 per month depending on the month...but I think this north will be a little higher.

it is indeed hefty although although i don't exaggerate setting the thermostats very low. 25-26ºC is the temperature range i consider comfortable.

Have you considered closing the doors and windows when the air con is running? whistling.gif

doors and windows are closed but fresh air is moderately drawn in continously. during the hot season electricity consumption of aircons is around 60% ot the total. it's the size of the airconditioned area that makes a big difference!

848 baht. rarely use. Only 2 really humid nights all night and only 30 minutes every morning whilst I put on my necktie.

..complicated Windsor knot?

Currently teaching so most days tie it twice...first a hangman's noose then come to my senses and Windsor knot...:)

Our per unit cost appears to be on a rising scale the more we use the higher the rate:

up to 150 = 2.76baht per unit

151- 250 = 3.73baht per unit

over 250 = 3.93 baht per unit

Out bill ranges from 2,200 to 3,000 baht per month for total area of 100sm - apartment on the 3rd floor - we do have 4 air con units - one in each bedroom and two in the lounge kitchen - but have recently installed inverter unit in bedroom 1. So hoping we will see reduction in the bills.

We do try and turn off the aircon in the bedrooms during the day and likewise turn off the lounge area at night. We run the norm TV, Fridge/freezer, washing machine and a couple of computers. Always turn off when we go out.

If you use less than 50 units and have a 5/15 amp meter the bill will be 0 baht...achievable by being at work for 12 hours a day and using 1 light 1 fan and a TV for the few hours spent at home.

Did anyone notice that PEA rates went down this month (May)?

Ft Rate for April -0.048

Ft Rate for May -0.3329.

Yes, saw that too. But does not make much of a difference. Paid a bit more than 3000B last month with one week out of country. Aircon eats most of the money and we run it mostly night time in the bedroom.

We use an 18,000 btu inverter unit approx.10 hours every night set at 26 - 27 degrees.

Just this last month we split our living room with a glass partition to produce a smaller area and installed a 12,000 btu inverter aircon unit. This was run for about 7 - 10 days at 28 deg. when the ambiant temperature was at its peak.

The Bill on 23 May was 1,706 baht for 436 units (equivalent to 3.913 baht/unit)

FT is the fuel tariff and is adjusted regularly depending on the price of imported oil and gas.

My usage for a 30 square meter "apartment" on the 3rd ( top ) floor in Jomtien ( Chonburi ) using standard government billing rate

9000 btu aircon every day from about 6pm till about 8am electric shower,washing machine,microwave oven,50 inch plasma TV, 2 floor fans, modem router etc etc.

was 447 units costing 1755 baht this May

2015 was 335 units @ 1402 baht

2014 was 366 units @ 1618 baht

Edited by johng

FT is the fuel tariff and is adjusted regularly depending on the price of imported oil and gas.

Which is weird as the fuel price went up by 3B for 1 liter of diesel within the last 2 months. I believe power generators also run on diesel fuel or petroleum gas.

They buy the oil and gas in advance so the rise and falls in FT can lag by quite a while.

Makes sense, so probably it's adjusted on a yearly average basis. To go up again....

5,800 this month - I was expecting much higher. As others have said, a small price to pay for being comfortable.

My normally bill is about 5,000 during hot months, and around 4,000 during cooler months.

Air-cons (all are 20,000 BTU) work especially hard due to cooling large areas and zero roof insulation.

Pool pump alone accounts for about 1,000 baht per month.

Mine usually is between 4,500 to 5,000 (usually closer to 4,500 right now - depends on the rate I think). Very little of that is the AC - I have a rather small 1 bedroom -- and even with it off for half a month it only drops a little. Most of the consumption is my computers which are probably on 340 days or so of the year. AC is usually set to 27ish.

Always high in May 8,000 Baht this time. But really its the poor construction, if they were built as in UK double wall Thermal block, double glazed, and minimum 150 mm fiber glass insulation in the roof spaces the Electric bills would be halved, There is no building control here so they build the cheapest way not built to conserve energy.sad.png

Two months in a row now we have had power bills over 10K Baht here in Chiang Mai. We usually have no more than 2 units running during the day at 25C and up to 4 units depending on the number of guests running all night at around 28C. Our house here is 2 stories and 500 square meters but in comparison it costs about the same to cool our whole house to 75F in Las Vegas which is half the size 24 hours a day this time of year. Of course the house in Las Vegas has much better insulation.

Grin

Always high in May 8,000 Baht this time. But really its the poor construction, if they were built as in UK double wall Thermal block, double glazed, and minimum 150 mm fiber glass insulation in the roof spaces the Electric bills would be halved, There is no building control here so they build the cheapest way not built to conserve energy.sad.png

They'll build to a higher spec if you specify it (and pay for it)... Probably around 25-35% higher for a 3Mbt house so 15-20 years or so to pay for it, and if electricity prices keep going up it may be a little less....

Difficult to justify unless you intend stay there for a while as it would be impossible to recoup the higher cost when selling. Retrofitting an existing house would be even worse.