Purchasing House Advice Needed pls

stament

So, we have finally decided to take the plunge and buy a house. Now I know various members on here have very strong views on renting vs buying, but if we could ignore that on this thread please and just try and help me with my following needs.

1/. We need a western kitchen to be fitted and I have read threads that recommend homikitch so in the absence of other recommendations we will pursue that option and look at homepro.

2/ White goods, read that Homepro have very good after sales service so we will probably go with them and also perhaps for tv.

3/ Also need a thai style kitchen built and a car port. Can anyone who has had direct experience with builders recommend anyone and also share photos of their work please? Some cost indications would be useful too, ballpark is fine.

4/. Furniture, as recommend we will look at Index, Kocept and Homepro for modern? And Hang Dong for solid teak furniture. We would definitely want a solid wood table and chairs at the very least. Can't say I like the teak wooden living room chairs as they don't seem to be that comfortable to me.

5/ Guessing True and 3BB will transfer our contract. Currently we have to have 3BB for the internet as we are not within 100m of the connection for True. I have heard 3BB is better, but is it much better as it would be cheaper just to go with True if possible.

6/. Lastly is is straight forward to go to e government office with a cheque along with the current owner and transfer the property into my wife's name? In England we always use solicitors but here from what I have read it is quite straight forward.

Grateful as always for any recommendations.

Why not buy a house that is already furnished.has western kitchen. Index/Concept stuff loses half its value the day you buy it...it's for sale all the time on FB second hand groups. Settlement at the landoffice is straightforward, but you should probably keep a low profile, as loaning money to a Thai to buy a house is illegal, and I think that would also including giving money to a Thai to buy a house. Land Office attitudes can vary widely, but the basic process is the same. Get a copy of the Chinote in advance and you might be able to head off any surprises....lot size/structure size, loans owed...making sure the seller has the full authority to sell. "Mai pen rai, can just sign for pa-pa," might not be that good of an idea.

1. Can not advise as see no need for more than perhaps kitchen table to eat at and toaster/refrigerator/microwave and baking oven if so inclined. Built in shelving/cabinets would be my choice (and what we have here in Bangkok).

2. White goods are serviced by maker, not store. Buy by make/price/what you want.

3. Simple work but have non slip tile in kitchen floor and gloss on wall areas to make grease clean up easy.

4. Teak is indeed for show rather than comfort - although with enough cushions they can be used. I would advise for display cabinets rather than seating.

5. Transfer often not possible - but short runs to allow access can be paid for by customer at 25 baht per meter fiber (True) if they close but not close enough.

6. Only Thai can pay for land at land office and foreigner will have to sign paperwork that he had no financial interest in the money used for payment.

We prefer solid wood furniture.

One problem with the plastic faced wood chip furniture comes when you try to move it. The joints break and the whole thing becomes unstable.

There is a young man who sells good solid wood furniture outside BigC Mae Hia, as you exit to go to Home Pro. He has some very nice cupboards. We were also looking at the people selling leather suites just inside the entrance to HomePro, for our next sofa, the prices are reasonable.

For beds, we buy from the man in the car park at BigC Don Chan, again solid wood and pleasant designs.

The only drawback with solid wood that we have found is that during the very hot periods, the wood dries out and contracts so much that the panels can split.

As "KKK" says, buying is easy here. But check the Chanote before to ascertain whether there are any loans on the land.

Also negotiate with the seller who is going to pay the charges made by the Land Office. Attempt to get the seller to pay as much as possible, after all, he is the one making money. Try to get him at least to pay his tax. Sometimes 50/50 is a reasonable agreement.

There is no problem in you financing the deal but as Lop3 says, you will have to sign an agreement that you have no financial interest in the land.

Where are you buying? Builders doing small jobs tend to work locally.

HomePro/Starmark kitchen can be DIY or custom made and installed. I went DIY as I wanted a U-shape and corner pantry. Homikitch has best quality reflected in price... too bad they couldn't design/build a corner pantry. Saved 50k.

Perfect Furniture on the 3029 a few k's east of BigC have good stuff. HomePro stock SB Furniture and can order off their massive catalogue.

Edited by kaptainrob

3-BB is good. I've had no problems with them for 4 years, and it looks as if their prices might drop a bit as there is now serious competition with AIS.

I use 3BB for internet and smart phone and also wi-fi for my Thai Expat TV. I use Thai expatTV for a mostly UK TV service and it's worked consistently via the wi-fi.

If you're having a kitchen built, don't do the Thai trick of using the top of the fridge for the microwave. Elbow height is safer. Grills seem a bit of a rarity here and my condo came supplied with a Panasonic with built-in grill and does a great job with a plate full of bangers.

Being not a huge fan of HomePro, they do provide service usually for free and have some job education you may not get from the guy next door.

For the kitchen I'd suggest you look at some trade fairs or shop promotions, there are usually some special offers going on all the time. Do not only look at the DIY chains, there are a lot of specialized providers around. That also give you aftersales support whereas the HomePro guy just disappears.

Get a handyman recommended from the neighbours or friends to build the outside kitchen and carport. You buy the material, he will do the work. Monitor but not too closely, otherwise the guy will run away and you have nothing left but headaches.

Internet depends what is available, usually 3BB and TOT have lines for telephone, that may be working for DSL. Fiber is rolled out every here and there, we got TOT which they just put up without any subscribers. Depends on your luck.

For the land transfer, you need to bring and show the money/cashier cheque to the land office. What you can do as an emergency option is a usufruct in your name for lifetime. That would protect you in case something happens to your wife, it wont protect you if you are getting divorced.

Don't even show up when your wife makes he purchase. If the government sees you sitting there, they could ask her if you gave her the the money to make the purchase (which is illegal).

Sorry, but that's complete rubbish. Nobody will question this and as I said we did the usufruct in my name the same time.

Don't even show up when your wife makes he purchase. If the government sees you sitting there, they could ask her if you gave her the the money to make the purchase (which is illegal).

Sorry, but that's complete rubbish. Nobody will question this and as I said we did the usufruct in my name the same time.

Different offices, different officials, different times of the month, different experiences. Nothing to get hot about, Chill.

No, If your wife has adopted your surname and it makes obvious she is married to a foreigner, they will ask that you be present (with passport copy) and sign the disclaimer form that lopburi talked about. So make sure you are not too far if you do not want to delay the transaction.

My wife has never been questioned where the money comes from.

Why not buy a house that is already furnished.has western kitchen. Index/Concept stuff loses half its value the day you buy it...it's for sale all the time on FB second hand groups. Settlement at the landoffice is straightforward, but you should probably keep a low profile, as loaning money to a Thai to buy a house is illegal, and I think that would also including giving money to a Thai to buy a house. Land Office attitudes can vary widely, but the basic process is the same. Get a copy of the Chinote in advance and you might be able to head off any surprises....lot size/structure size, loans owed...making sure the seller has the full authority to sell. "Mai pen rai, can just sign for pa-pa," might not be that good of an idea.

Thanks for the advice re chanote, etc. It would also be good to buy a house that has decent furniture but that option wasn't available and those that did have furniture cost more than the house we are buying plus buying the new furniture, kitchen, etc that we want! Some really crazy prices being asked by some people. Same houses with difference in price of THB 1m+. I prefer the unfurnished house in such an instance and go with my tastes!

As for the money. Who said anything about lending any money? We have joint bank accounts from the UK.

We prefer solid wood furniture.

One problem with the plastic faced wood chip furniture comes when you try to move it. The joints break and the whole thing becomes unstable.

There is a young man who sells good solid wood furniture outside BigC Mae Hia, as you exit to go to Home Pro. He has some very nice cupboards. We were also looking at the people selling leather suites just inside the entrance to HomePro, for our next sofa, the prices are reasonable.

For beds, we buy from the man in the car park at BigC Don Chan, again solid wood and pleasant designs.

The only drawback with solid wood that we have found is that during the very hot periods, the wood dries out and contracts so much that the panels can split.

As "KKK" says, buying is easy here. But check the Chanote before to ascertain whether there are any loans on the land.

Also negotiate with the seller who is going to pay the charges made by the Land Office. Attempt to get the seller to pay as much as possible, after all, he is the one making money. Try to get him at least to pay his tax. Sometimes 50/50 is a reasonable agreement.

There is no problem in you financing the deal but as Lop3 says, you will have to sign an agreement that you have no financial interest in the land.

Thanks for the great tips, we will definitely look into.

Thanks for the advice re chanote, etc. It would also be good to buy a house that has decent furniture but that option wasn't available and those that did have furniture cost more than the house we are buying plus buying the new furniture, kitchen, etc that we want! Some really crazy prices being asked by some people. Same houses with difference in price of THB 1m+. I prefer the unfurnished house in such an instance and go with my tastes!

As for the money. Who said anything about lending any money? We have joint bank accounts from the UK.

You said "we," and since it won't be in your name; it is likely that you have financial interest in it. But you should really focus on the purchase, and worry about particleboard later.

Just to clarify, the house will be purchased 100% in my wife's name and yes she does have my western surname. Will this present a problem as I don't intend to be in the country when she goes to the government office with her cheque.

I have no interest in the house, obviously if something happened to her I would want my boys to have it (4 and 9 years old). What do I need to do to protect their interests god forbid something happens?

Thanks

You need to be there in person to sign the paper, that you give up all your rights on the property (which is technically BS, but anyway, they want it). You can then put the house in the name of your wife and your kids which will protect them quite efficiently until they get 20. Before that any transaction has to go through the family court.

Just to clarify, the house will be purchased 100% in my wife's name and yes she does have my western surname. Will this present a problem as I don't intend to be in the country when she goes to the government office with her cheque.

I have no interest in the house, obviously if something happened to her I would want my boys to have it (4 and 9 years old). What do I need to do to protect their interests god forbid something happens?

Thanks

I believe you will have to be present to sign a disclaimer,that you have no financial interest

in the property,that it is owned a 100% by your wife.there will be a few giggles from people

standing near by,thinking there goes another one.happened to me.but that was a lot of years,(28)

ago,so at least they were wrong,and you like me have children,so if they get the lot,good luck

to them,just make sure you have enough left if you have ever got to start over again. plan B.

regards worgeordie