EDITORIAL: Tracking you down... for safety!

rooster59

EDITORIAL: Tracking you down... for safety!

post-247607-0-04996600-1464492024_thumb.

Not the happiest of places.

The new immigration form mandating foreign nationals disclose various personal details is intrusive, much like distrusting parents tracking their children’s smart-phones. Not only do authorities appear to lack subtlety and a clear understanding of how technology works, they also seem to lack the capacity to safely manage and protect the extensive data they are collecting.

At best, they can hope to better “track down” foreigners when problems arise. Though such a move should surprise no one in this age of mass surveillance, perhaps what is hard to swallow for many foreign residents is the utter lack of subtlety – the perception that officials view all foreigners as potential criminals, and possible scapegoats in any legal unpleasantness that might arise.

Being faced with the unreliable state of your legal rights is bound to be unnerving for anyone. Human Rights Watch points out that this initiative not only enables Thai authorities to profile tourists and expatriates, but enables anyone with access the power to misuse this information. But the form itself, while intrusive, would hardly increase anyone’s ability to prevent, or commit, crime or terror acts.

Bank account numbers will not give authorities access to your money. Knowing what websites you visit and where you hang out sounds more like an awkward first-date script.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/editorial-tracking-you-down-for-safety-57628.php#yo4Bp91dgka1XzqJ.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-29

We really do welcome all foreigners just have a funny way of showing it however it makes sense to us and that's all that matters.

Quote : " Bank account numbers will not give authorities access to your money. " Oh really, how many would trust Thai banks not to co-operate with the authorities if requested, how many would demand a search warrant ?

On the issue of search warrants how many courts would find insufficient grounds to refuse one ?

Sorry I'm far from convinced and certainly lack trust over all of this.

Edited by Caveat Emptor

When I first heard of this I thought to myself: sheesh my gov't (USA) tracks people. But the US gov't doesn't really come right and tell you they do. It takes an Edward Snowden to tell you that they do. But, it is not in your face daily.

Thailand is upfront about it. Hence when it is hanging over my head I tend to get a little more paranoid about it. Looking over my shoulder kind of thing. Choosing words carefully.

Not sure what I'll do. I am a guest in Thailand so I will comply at my next 90-day report. I'll give it some time to see how this unfolds but I will start looking elsewhere.

The thinking behind it is Orwellian but the execution struggles to reach the level of thought of a primary school pupil.

Just take a look at the document. The social media section is optional but the frequented places are mandatory and include shops, bars, & hospital. How is knowing that I use a local 7/11, supermarket, pet hospital ( as I have not used a human hospital for years ) going to give them any assistance. My dear parent's names won't help nor will a bank account in another country, because it does not stipulate a Thai bank account.

The bid boss threatens us that there will be consequences if we put in wrong information. But to make an ass of this form does not require wrong information. The correct information will not help these planks in any way.

This form was designed by some junior who wanted to impress his boss. It seems that his uniform was so tight that it has cut off the blood supply to his brain. But sadly "the Alien" is once again an easy target for authorities who do not have the cojones to act against the likes of the Red Bull heir, the fainting diabetic money grabbing monk, and the drugged up son of a car dealer who simply are untouchable.

It is my understanding that there is no legal obligation to complete this form. It is voluntary but the immigration officer does not tell you that, he just thrusts the form in your face.

I would like to know where your understanding comes from because i would like to quote it when I refuse to fill out the form.

It is my understanding that there is no legal obligation to complete this form. It is voluntary but the immigration officer does not tell you that, he just thrusts the form in your face.

I havn't seen anywhere that it's voluntary...my understanding is that every foreigner needs to fill this form.....

If you have a link or an article where voluntary is stated, I would like that please

I would like to know where your understanding comes from because i would like to quote it when I refuse to fill out the form.

There was a widely read and posted thread on this a month or so ago... There was a lot of negative feedback following a very similar form (or the same one) which was required to be filled out.... On this occasion at the whim of the police Maj. Gen.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/911143-thai-immigration-asks-foreigners-for-bank-accounts-social-media-hangouts/

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1461064735&typecate=06&section=

Quote Khaisod.com

An immigration officer working at the building where the document is currently in circulation said Tuesday it is not mandatory to answer every question.

It seems that the idea of this form has reached the immigration officers at Phuket... It also seems that its not compulsory, but neither is their choice to let you into Thailand.

I'd also consider exactly how much information I'm giving up - much of it they can find out anyway...

Given the 'I see' comment which saw a mother arrested recently I'd be reluctant to give up my social media accounts and am also careful of what I post through no other reason than fear of unreasonable retribution against comments taken out of context.

As the form is for our safety, I suppose it's ok to write the name of the ambassador for the form. At least my embassy knows my details and they also know when to release the information to officials from other countries.

I guess you guys post without reading whats in the forum above you.............. not have to fill in any form !!

I did read the posts.

To revert what has been officially announced I prefer to have the following information:

20 different persons reporting in 10 different visiting days, during period of 30 days, in 4 different situations:

1) 90-day reporting

2) Getting a 1 month extension to tourist visa

3) getting a new 1 year NON-O/B visa

4) getting 1 year extension to NON-0/B visas.

After that, we would know better in which cases the the form is presented and does it happen always in those situations or only sometimes.

Currently, based on members reports we know: The form have not been offered, during 90-day reporting, in two occasions.

OK. Retirement extension today. I'll post in the other thread as well after I pick up my passport tomorrow but there was no personal details form to be filled in.

Tomorrow is 1st June, however. Could things change on the first of the month? Will the new boss be turning up to work tomorrow? We'll find out soon.

At the immigration office in Phuket today. The form is for tourists visas only.

Doesn't seem that intrusive.

Name, address, mum and dad's surname, local contact's details.

Frequent places visited, and (optional) social media applications used.

Bank account details. (Not stated, for what purpose.)

Presumably the immigration department have hundreds of data entry clerks capable of processing the millions of annual visitors.

Seems a bit silly considering that all visitors are required to carry identification.

As a side note. The Phuket immigration office has improved a thousand fold over the last 18 months.