Are my electricity bills average? Opinions, please.

Tapster

After a year in our house in Phuket, our hot-season electricity bills have been 5,700 to 6,200 THB per month.

This seems to be considerably more than a lot of people pay.

However, we run a pool pump 10 hours a day and....

On average, we have one air-con unit running 24 hours a day. (We have several units, running for various times during any given day.)

Do you have any opinion on our bills? Do they seem about right for this level of consumption.

(Depending on the answers here, I might actually do the maths!)

biggrin.png

Knowing the power rating of the pool pump and the sizes (BTUs) of the ACs would help.

Do you have a 3-phase connection?

Pool pump:

seems like a 1 kW pump is considered a "small" one?

1 kW * 10h * 30 days = 300 units/month.

current avg. price per unit at you level about 4.5 Baht/unit.

So a small pool pump would count for about 1300 Baht per month.

Our all time highest bill (last month) was 3200 Baht.

But we have by far less consumption than you describe.

No pool just a 255 W water pump for the house and a 750W deep well pump (15 min/day).

Far far from 10h/day.

3 ACs:

One of them very rarely used.

One used for a couple of hours per night and not daily (depending on weather)

One at maximum of 10h quite regularly at this hot time.

Maximum AC size 13000 BTU.

Currently all off.

Two big fridge/freezer combis, a couple of fans running most of the day.

And some peanuts (computer, TV, light).

So as a rule of thumb your cost doesn't look way out.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thank for the posts, guys. thumbsup.gif

@KhunBENQ

The electricity supply is 2-phase. I don't know what difference that makes. Please explain. smile.png

The pool pump is 0.75 kW, so that's just over 1000 THB.

So far, it seems that our bills may not be wildly excessive.

3 phase / 1 phase

You state that you have a two wire/1-phase connection which is the rule for private houses.

I must admit that I don't have the numbers for 3-phase connections.

Whether it is only a one time difference for installation or a monthly surcharge?

Maybe someone can help out.

BTW: I suggest that the thread should be moved to Electrical forum where the real experts (crossy et.al.) are.

Electricity prices are consistent nationwide (state monopoly).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Mine was about the same for this month (May) - 5,800 baht.

I also have a 1HP pool pump (.75KwH) running 10 hours/day, which accounts for about 1,000 baht per month, every month.

A/C (20,000 BTU) used in one bedroom all night, and another A/C unit in one of the living areas that was used 50-60% of the time this month.

Add to that, computers, big fridge, water cooler, an LCD TV that generates a lot of heat, lights, electric cooktop, etc and it's not hard to see how we got to 1,300 KwH for the month. I was actually expecting to use a little more.

I run my pool pump 8 hours a day.The18,000 btu and 24000 btu a/c's in the living/dinning great room are always on when we are home. Another 18000btu a/c in the Thai TV room is on 3-4 hours. At night we run an 18000btu a/c . Kitchen and bathroom 12000btu a/c's are on less then an hour a day. One large fridge, 2 laptops, a 42" LCD and a 55" LED TV with amp plus tower speakers....my latest bill is 6535B, the highest ever but not too bad.

I've owned for ten years, have lots of stuff running but no pool like you. I do not see on the surface your bill being out of the ordinary. Here in Pattaya, I check the meters all the time know even before I get the bill by the company. I normally pay between 4.10-4.50 baht per unit.

A few years ago I noticed something odd, so to check I turn off everything and I mean everything for a few minutes. Went outside to the Company meter and noticed it was still running. I finally located a capable Electrician who did the check himself after a hour he figure out something installed wasn't connected properly. He rewired the box cost 1500 baht.. within a week my usage was cut in half.

Just my personal two cents, if you have a unit on 24/7, and living here in Thailand I think something is wrong with you unless you are sick. Hot is part of living here you need to get use to it. Try opening a window and using fans that is what I do and it is not being cheap. Believe me your body especially your head get use to it very fast. And if you need to look at the bill then it is time to cut back a bit by first turning down the number slowly.

Sounds about right to me.

Remember to include electrical usage such as hot water, refrigerator, TV/stereo, etc.

For a medium size refrigerator I pay about 167-177 baht per month.

You may be able to make a small difference if you keep to a schedule of cleaning the A/C filters and washing with a hose the outside compressor(s). With dust and dirt blowing around the compressor and fan may need a good hosing with moderate pressure. This should make the unit work more efficiently.

If you're trying to lower your usage there are many small things you can do. When you add all those together the end result will be a cost reduction of your monthly expense. Good luck!

My goodness, we think you are doing OK.

With one aircon on all night (the bedroom), another (the TV room) just sporadically - as well as a pool, we go thro' about 8,000 baht a month. It is indeed costly, but not prohibitive.

Thank for the posts, guys. thumbsup.gif

@KhunBENQ

The electricity supply is 2-phase. I don't know what difference that makes. Please explain. smile.png

The pool pump is 0.75 kW, so that's just over 1000 THB.

So far, it seems that our bills may not be wildly excessive.

there is no 2-phase supply in Thailand. but you are right, it doesn't make any difference as far as consumption/cost is concerned.

3 phase / 1 phase

You state that you have a two wire/1-phase connection which is the rule for private houses.

I must admit that I don't have the numbers for 3-phase connections.

Whether it is only a one time difference for installation or a monthly surcharge?

Maybe someone can help out.

BTW: I suggest that the thread should be moved to Electrical forum where the real experts (crossy et.al.) are.

Electricity prices are consistent nationwide (state monopoly).

there's no monthly surcharge for a 3-phase connection but a rather small initial charge when the meter is installed.

tapster

On average, we have one air-con unit running 24 hours a day.

"running an a/c x-hours a day" is a comment without mentioning the most important factor "temperature setting". the difference in cost between a thermostat setting of 28ºC and 23ºC can be 300-400%

If your aircon units are old you may want to replace them with inverter units (daikin or Mitsubishi).

It may cost upfront, but you'd then save much on electricity bill.

Also, if you still have halogens, switch to LED lights asap.

I have a 3 Bedrooms house in Phuket with garden and swimming pool. I have A/C in all rooms including living rooms. However, we are using A/C only during the night in 2 bedrooms (our bedroom and my son bedroom). In the day time, we rarely use A/C as our house is well ventilated, we have a lot of large windows and ceiling fans in every rooms. Average monthly electricity bill is 4,500. We are 3 persons living in the house. We also have lights all around the house and garden that remain on all nights (automatically switch basically 6pm -6am).

Of that can help.

Imagine a refrigerator with the door open. The compressor..which is a motor..will run considerably longer than if the door was closed.

If you run air con check the ingress of warm air onto the air-conditioned space.

Eliminate that and see your electricity bill reduce by 15-20%.

Furthermore run the pool pump at twilight hours.

Keep you freezer full. Use bottled water.

Common sense really.

Are my Electricity bills average

A Swimming pool pump is a big consumer. A 1hp pump typically uses around 1650 watts. You can replace with a ECO pump which according to manufacturer uses around 300W. This is a inverter driven pump. Simarly for aircon which uses around 70% of conventional aircon. LED lighting will also reduce consuption.

I've owned for ten years, have lots of stuff running but no pool like you. I do not see on the surface your bill being out of the ordinary. Here in Pattaya, I check the meters all the time know even before I get the bill by the company. I normally pay between 4.10-4.50 baht per unit.

A few years ago I noticed something odd, so to check I turn off everything and I mean everything for a few minutes. Went outside to the Company meter and noticed it was still running. I finally located a capable Electrician who did the check himself after a hour he figure out something installed wasn't connected properly. He rewired the box cost 1500 baht.. within a week my usage was cut in half.

Just my personal two cents, if you have a unit on 24/7, and living here in Thailand I think something is wrong with you unless you are sick. Hot is part of living here you need to get use to it. Try opening a window and using fans that is what I do and it is not being cheap. Believe me your body especially your head get use to it very fast. And if you need to look at the bill then it is time to cut back a bit by first turning down the number slowly.

I appreciate your post Thailand49.

First - re electric bills

We moved into current condo in 2013, so I have some experience with the place.

Our electric bill fluctuates ridiculously.

Bills cut on 11th of the month

May 927 KW 4,137 Baht tax etc included

April 770

Mar 610

Feb 592

Jan 601

Dec 825

Nov 719

Condo is 145 SQM with a lot of glass walls and sliders facing south and west; we cover them with blackout curtains and such but the airflow / leakage of cool air from the condo is terrible. Actually the list above does not really show why I feel is is inexplicable. I should add that we were not here for most of Dec (Jan bill) and had the place shut off, except for fridge. Other years, Dec and Feb were higher than June and July, when the outside temps were exact opposite.

The only explanation I can come up with is that there is wind and draft and that varies and when it is strong it pulls out the cool air faster, making aircon work harder. The bedroom aircon compressor is on almost all the time it is running all night. I wake to hear it shut off when it reaches 24 degrees and within 3 or 4 minutes it is on again, running for 5 - 8 minutes to reach the 24 degrees. This leads me to believe that if I can stop the leakage I might see more efficient machines and lower bills.

It is a lot of money but may well suit your consumption.

Might get a better idea if you tell us how many units you use each month.

I have a house in Pattaya area and bills are around 3000 baht/month.

I certainly do not run any AC 24/7, just the one in the main bedroom all night. Occasional use of the one in the living room on particularly hot evenings for 3 hours or so until bed time. The house has roof insulation and double glazing.

Pool pump I adjusted downwards and have settled on 3 cycles of 2 hours/day.

If you want to reduce the bills think along those lines, and look at other electrical items that may add serious wattage, electric oven or washing machine perhaps.

Edited by jacko45k

Reading through this has got me worried. We have a pool (11m X 4m), we run the pump 4 hours a day. We have 1 A/C unit that is 24,000 btu, which runs on average 20 hours a day. I x 18,000 btu which runs 16 hours a day, another 18,000 btu which is 10 hours and a 12,000 btu which is 8 hours a day. In the evening we will often have 3 tvs running, at night lights on all around the house. All of this I consider to be normal, comfortable living, nothing extreme.

Our electric bill this month was 16,726 baht. If I divide the price by the the amount of units consumed I get a unit cost pf 4.3 baht.

I'm thinking it is time to get some testing done, I suspect we have a problem!!

Edited by MrBanks

Are my Electricity bills average

A Swimming pool pump is a big consumer. A 1hp pump typically uses around 1650 watts. You can replace with a ECO pump which according to manufacturer uses around 300W. This is a inverter driven pump. Simarly for aircon which uses around 70% of conventional aircon. LED lighting will also reduce consuption.

i don't know about English engineering but globally a 1hp pump uses 745.7 watts. moreover, inverter driven pool pumps do not save any electricity because the flow/head pressure demand is constant. inverter pumps can only save energy when the demand fluctuates. the same applies to inverter driven aircon compressors when the heat load fluctuates.

Reading through this has got me worried. We have a pool (11m X 4m), we run the pump 4 hours a day. We have 1 A/C unit that is 24,000 btu, which runs on average 20 hours a day. I x 1 another 18,000 btu which is 10 hours and a 12,000 btu which is 8 hours a day. In the evening we will often have 3 tvs running, at night lights on all around the house. All of this I consider to be normal, comfortable living, nothing extreme.

Our electric bill this month was 16,726 baht. If I divide the price by the the amount of units consumed I get a unit cost pf 4.3 baht.

I'm thinking it is time to get some testing done, I suspect we have a problem!!

comfortable living is a relative thing. if you read the comments here some people think 23ºC is comfortable whereas others think airconditioning is "unmanly" (sic).

-1 unit 24,000 btu, 20 hours a day = B 5,934 / month

-1 unit 18,000 btu 10 hours a day = B 2,193 / month

-1 unit 12,000 btu 8 hours a day = B 1.135 / month

--------------------------------------------------------------------

total aircon cost.............................B 9,262 / month

-pool pump 4 hours a day (2hp 1490w) B 770 / month

add TVs, lighting in and outside, washer?, dryer?, cooking? PCs and your bill is very much in line and reasonable.

Imagine a refrigerator with the door open. The compressor..which is a motor..will run considerably longer than if the door was closed.

If you run air con check the ingress of warm air onto the air-conditioned space.

Eliminate that and see your electricity bill reduce by 15-20%.

Keep you freezer full. Use bottled water.

Common sense really.

how will that help to save on energy? huh.png

With pool pump and aircon, and some stuff life fridge/freezer and TV running Thai-style, you bill is fair enough. Actually pool circulation pumps takes a lot of power, more than a modern aircon.

I have a house with pool circulation pump, use inverter-type aircon at night in one room only, but all the usual stuff like fridge/freezer, TV etc. etc. – in average little over 5,000 baht a month...thumbsup.gif