Frogs driving me crazy

Pebbles33

We moved into a lovely house in Mae Rim at the beginning of April. After about two weeks the frog croaking started. We have a pond attached to the house and unfortunately did not think about the problems that might arise from it before moving in. Needless to say the frogs love it and now, nearly June, it seems like the word has spread and we've got at least double the frogs than last month. We are just getting into rainy season so I'm guessing this will last the entire season. Is that right?? I haven't been able to find a solution online for getting rid of them other than spraying bleach everywhere which isn't really an option. Anyone have suggestions on what I can do here to keep them away? Are there frog repellents that aren't too harmful to the environment and our pets? If so, where might I find them? I've tried spreading salt around and spraying lime juice which I read about online but it didn't seem to work. They're getting so loud and are right outside our bedroom so driving me insane. Was thinking asking if some Thai people from the village would like to come and catch them but not sure how long that would solve the problem. Thanks for any helpful advise!!

frogs and ponds go hand in glove.

we have a pond on a busy city road and the frogs sniffed it out within months, now we have a small family of them usually young ones. i guess when they get bigger the rats enjoy the sport.

the rains at this time flood out their small underground holes so the chorus of croaking starts immediately.

many locals go out at night with their torches and nets hoping to get sufficient to eat or sell.

why not put the word out that you have dozens and would welcome anyone who wants to catch them.

The frogs may be your best friends. They eat mosquito larvae. Think of all the pathogens plus the new Zika virus that mosquitos deliver. I used to hate the semi-starved cats in my moo ban. Then I discovered that they eat baby snakes. I am now a friend of the feral cats. May they flourish and multiply.

I live beside an area that has a gazillion frogs from the tiny kiat to oonangs. Once it starts to rain their opera begins around eight pm and lasts for up to twelve hours. Some nights it is so loud we end up laughing at 3am because they wake us up. I absolutely love the sounds and look forward to the ranking season just for this. You have to embrace nature and cease fighting it because you are going to be the loser if you do not do this. Mankind has moved into the territory of wild animals and have to respect this.

Frogs, chickens, all sounds of my village home - also lizards and birds... I seem to get used to these sounds of nature... other sounds bother me though, sporadically barking dogs...

All I can say is try and forget about it, don't obsess and it just becomes background noise... and think how many mosquitoes they must be eating..

The frogs may be your best friends. They eat mosquito larvae. Think of all the pathogens plus the new Zika virus that mosquitos deliver. I used to hate the semi-starved cats in my moo ban. Then I discovered that they eat baby snakes. I am now a friend of the feral cats. May they flourish and multiply.

[/quote

Frogs do not prey on mosquito nor do their larva prey on mosquito larva.

They will eat other species of garden pests as well a benficial insects

Edited by daoyai

could be worse could be next to an airport. Even there the people get used to it and learn to so to speak not here it.

The best way to keep on hearing them is to try not to hear them.

Kind of sounds like something Oscar Wilde would say....

The thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

Very witty

Live at peace with nature and live at peace with yourself.

That works for me out here in rural Khampaeng Phet with just one thing that I hate.

The flying ants that come along when it rains. My wife comes up with the word "mengman".

They only seem to appear in the evenings and last night there were swarms of them. They are attracted by lights but usually they seem to pack in around 8 pm.

vive les kara-croaky !

I love the sounds of frogs, and am in a frog-challenged neighborhood. I'll pay you 5 baht per frog weighing over 50 grams you deliver unharmed ... after you dig the pond, and find a water source to fill it.

cheers, ~o:37

The frogs are not going to go away in the wet season nor is there any cure to their existence. Suggest if its major problem, as it seems to be in your case, fill in the pond and turn it into a garden. PS: Fish eat mosquito larvae but frogs don't.

Edited by Sparkles

Wait till the Cicadas go into full throttle then you will have

sometime to complain about,learn to live with the frogs

they do a lot of good,it's only because its their breeding

season.

regards worgeordie