Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

Many are on my ignore list but the really amazing thing is that some who are fully aware of that continue to post personally baiting questions anyway for years ...

So no do not expect that I or anyone is going to respond to all posts. Unless you want to pay me.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find the OP very sad. Firstly, I think Pattaya is a cesspit, sorry but just my experience. Comparing it to Miami beach is a joke. It is full of lowlife from around the world as well as Thailand. Secondly, learning the language opens many doors.

I;ve been here 3 decades and have come to the conclusion that those who don't learn the language feel superior to Thais. Why not just learn? Well, most try but give up and then say they don't want to. Personally, I couldn't feel comfortable in my own skin living here most of y life and being illiterate.

Be honest OP. Why did you choose Pattaya when there are so many, no everywhere is better? It has to be one thing, the availability of cheap sex from uneducated peasants. If you can accept this and stop all the BS about the beach being nice and the good restaurants you'll stand a chance of being happy, otherwise you'll spend every waking hour on internet forums looking fr something t talk about.

Be honest? Why bother? You think you know why I and every expat lives in Pattaya so you wouldn't believe any other narrative if it doesn't fit your moronic narrow assumptions. Can't be bothered with such idiocy. Ignore list time.

How sad. Keep living in your little bubble of denial and ignore anyone that tries to have an intelligent conversation with you.

Just give me ONE valid reason you would want to retire in Pattaya apart from the widely available cheap sex and I'll take it all back.

I'll give you three (not just one) valid reasons why a man would retire in Pattaya apart from the cheap sex if after I do you will promise to start a thread saying you were wrong about Pattaya and will stop bashing the place.

I find the OP very sad. Firstly, I think Pattaya is a cesspit, sorry but just my experience. Comparing it to Miami beach is a joke. It is full of lowlife from around the world as well as Thailand. Secondly, learning the language opens many doors.

I;ve been here 3 decades and have come to the conclusion that those who don't learn the language feel superior to Thais. Why not just learn? Well, most try but give up and then say they don't want to. Personally, I couldn't feel comfortable in my own skin living here most of y life and being illiterate.

Be honest OP. Why did you choose Pattaya when there are so many, no everywhere is better? It has to be one thing, the availability of cheap sex from uneducated peasants. If you can accept this and stop all the BS about the beach being nice and the good restaurants you'll stand a chance of being happy, otherwise you'll spend every waking hour on internet forums looking fr something t talk about.

LOL > You came to the conclusion that people who don't learn the language feel superior to Thais. How did you come to that brilliant conclusion, Sherlock?

I know my place here, and it is definitely beneath Thais. Only tourists run around with superiority complexes as they don't know any better.

From the sounds of it sir, you're the one who thinks you're superior to everyone else with your amazing Thai language skills and all... You're even claiming that non-Thai speakers are illiterate.

I suppose your opener "Pattaya is a cesspit" gave you away. We're not safe from puritanical bigots, even in Thailand... even in Pattaya!

Edited by tropo

Tropo and Jingting

What do you think about people coming to America, or your home country, and refusing to learn English?

I know what I think, I'll tell you after your reply.

I already know what you think, so you can spare yourself the trouble of replying.

The comparison is simplistic.

English is an easy choice as a 2nd language as it's virtually a universal language these days. If I didn't speak English there's a very high chance I'd already be learning it long before I arrived in an English speaking country as a tourist or immigrant.

Thai is virtually useless once you've left Thailand.

Perhaps you should have asked me what I think about people who go to live in Brazil who don't learn Portuguese.

You also need to consider that it is very easy to live in Pattaya without speaking Thai. I have never found it a problem and I don't have a Thai partner and never will.

Many are on my ignore list but the really amazing thing is that some who are fully aware of that continue to post personally baiting questions anyway for years ...

So no do not expect that I or anyone is going to respond to all posts. Unless you want to pay me.

How convenient!

I think saying to a member welcome to my ignore lost goes against forum rules as it is flaming a fellow member.

As for Patts it's a sh*thole and frankly if the farangs don't integrate its a good thing for the Thais.

welcome to my ignore lostthumbsup.gif

Can you please just answer the question.

I thought I made it quite clear it was a silly question. Frankly I gave it far more attention that it was worth. Let's leave it at that.

Edited by tropo

I thought I made it quite clear it was a silly question. Frankly I gave it far more attention that it was worth. Let's leave it at that.
It's a perfectly relevant question that you refuse to answer as you are in denial.

The op won't answer too go figure.

It's a perfectly relevant question that you refuse to answer as you are in denial.

I gave you a number of reasons why it's irrelevant... but you ignored them.

You totally avoided the question!

Unbelievable. Hypocrite.

Unbelievable. Hypocrite.

Thinking that Thais going to your country should learn your language just because more people speak it is arrogant.

If one is migrating to another country and refuses to even attempt to learn the language there is something seriously wrong.

Someone said they get by fine not speaking Thai. They must not have a life if this is the case. What about going down to the garage to get car repairs, going to the bank, having a conversation with a neighbor, joking with a fruit seller, talking to your kids' teacher, telling a doctor your symptoms, getting a gf that ain't a whore etc etc. Like I say must not have a life.

Thinking that Thais going to your country should learn your language just because more people speak it is arrogant.

If one is migrating to another country and refuses to even attempt to learn the language there is something seriously wrong.

Someone said they get by fine not speaking Thai. They must not have a life if this is the case. What about going down to the garage to get car repairs, going to the bank, having a conversation with a neighbor, joking with a fruit seller, talking to your kids' teacher, telling a doctor your symptoms, getting a gf that ain't a whore etc etc. Like I say must not have a life.

What about going down to the garage to get car repairs - I take my car to the dealership, they speak engish.

Going to the bank - My branch has people that speak english.

Having a conversation with a neighbor - My neighbours speak english.

Joking with a fruit seller - Never bought fruit form a seller, doubt I ever will.

Talking to your kids' teacher - I dont have kids.

Telling a doctor your symptoms - They speak english at the hospital I use.

Getting a gf that ain't a whore - Met mine at the 7/11. I tought her to speak english.

What do you think about people coming to America, or your home country, and refusing to learn English?

I know what I think, I'll tell you after your reply.

I'll answer your question.

I think that the Thais I know who come to America and don't learn the language live a very different life than the English only speakers in Pattaya. They can only speak to a handful of people, can't communicate with 99.9% of shopkeepers, restaurant personnel, can't travel without the assistance of an English speaker, etc etc.

Life as an English only speaker in Pattaya is 1,000 times easier.

Unbelievable. Hypocrite.

You're demanding answers for stupid questions and then getting upset if you don't get an answer. What is this? An inquisition?

What culture? The Opera? Theatre? The jazz scene? Ballet? Museums? Stand up comedy? Poetry? Literature?

Are you trying to show off your ignorance? Should I give you a list? Would you partake in Thai poetry, jazz, dance, literature and theater?

Likay - Dance
Phra Sunthorn Vohara, known as Sunthorn Phu (26 June 1786 – 1855), is Thailand's best-known royal poet. He wrote during the Rattanakosin period.
Phu was renowned for composing verse, and his epic poetry is popular in Thailand to the present day. His works include Nirat Phukaothong, a collection of poems recounting his journey to the Golden Mountain; Nirat Suphan, his journey to Suphanburi Province; and the Phra Aphai Mani saga.
Anyone who knows anything about Thailand knows the above and many more examples.

What about going down to the garage to get car repairs - I take my car to the dealership, they speak engish.

Going to the bank - My branch has people that speak english.

Having a conversation with a neighbor - My neighbours speak english.

Joking with a fruit seller - Never bought fruit form a seller, doubt I ever will.

Talking to your kids' teacher - I dont have kids.

Telling a doctor your symptoms - They speak english at the hospital I use.

Getting a gf that ain't a whore - Met mine at the 7/11. I tought her to speak english.

One of the reasons that make Pattaya a good place to retire is that you don't have to speak Thai to exist. I don't have to open my eyes to walk around my house either but the view is much better if I do.

I'm saying that speaking Thai would open up a whole new world for you the same as a blind man receiving the gift of sight.

Unless you have experienced it it is hard to understand how it changes your social standing and amount of respect you get.

In the couple of decades I've lived here I have had a variety of significant others - hooker to doctor and the only one who didn't want me to learn to speak Thai was the hooker.

Edited by Scotwight

I'm saying that speaking Thai would open up a whole new world for you the same as a blind man receiving the gift of sight.

What world would open up for me if I could speak Thai ?...

Edited by Don Mega

You could have an amazing in depth conversation with the noodle lady

Sing in Thai at the local karaoke

Start hanging out with Thai men

ummm Im sure there are more world openers..

Talk about a gross exaggeration. I'm positive that learning Thai wouldn't make a scrap of difference in my world... it would actually make it worse as I prefer to stay blissfully unaware of what they are saying behind my back.

It would all depend on what you're here to do and how you go about your daily life. If you worked? If you were married to a Thai woman? If you were looking to pick up a wife from a 7Eleven... etc.

Honestly, I think some people aren't really GETTING the point of my OP.

This focus on Thai language is really another topic.

That is but ONE ASPECT of this.

Honestly, I disagree. Yes, it's ONE ASPECT, but a MAJOR one and probably THE most IMPORTANT one. I couldn't imagine ANYONE who is really INTERESTED in Thai culture not being interested in learning the language.

The world where they treat you some respect instead of thinking you are just a mindless moron

The world where they treat you some respect instead of thinking you are just a mindless moron

It must be a very stressful existence travelling the world constantly worrying about what people think of you.

Forget about that and life becomes more relaxing.

As stated before, in Pattaya one can easily masquerade as a tourist or new-comer if you're really worried about what they gonna think of you.

Yes, I agree it's gonna be a problem in most other places in Thailand, but not in Pattaya.