EU Referendum in the UK - Postal Voting forms

bluesofa

I see there's some articles in the UK press today about the impartiality of the postal voting instructions. The Eelectoral Commission has contacted all councils about the inages used on some instructions and has instructed some to be reprinted. I hope it's OK to include this link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/30/council-to-pulp-eu-referendum-postal-ballots-as-bias-row-spreads/

The problem was that some councils showed the pen hovering over the Remain box.

I would have thought there would be a nationally approved form to be used in such cases.

My own guide with my postal vote was impartial - see the attached image.

post-4903-0-39234700-1464656759_thumb.jp

Maybe this is why I have still yet to receive mine......Had two letters from the council saying they accept me for a postal vote but nothing about when they would send me the form.

No way it is getting back on time now which is what I pretty much expected so not sure why I bothered to register sad.png

Maybe this is why I have still yet to receive mine......Had two letters from the council saying they accept me for a postal vote but nothing about when they would send me the form.

No way it is getting back on time now which is what I pretty much expected so not sure why I bothered to register sad.png

Mine was posted out on 27th, it arrived on 30th. There's still probably time for it to get back the the UK if they've got their finger out.

Mine was posted out on 27th, it arrived on 30th. There's still probably time for it to get back the the UK if they've got their finger out.

3 days from the UK to an individual address in Thailand? The best I have ever been aware of personally was about 8.

From memory don't they have to be back by the 5th or something like that?

3 days from the UK to an individual address in Thailand? The best I have ever been aware of personally was about 8.

No, they have to be received at the latest by 10pm on 23rd June.

No, they have to be received at the latest by 10pm on 23rd June.

Thanks

Voting by postal proxy is a more reliable way of voting from overseas - as long as you have a trustworthy proxy!

My vote was made over a week ago.

I agree with what you've said.

For me, having been here so long, I don't know anyone in the UK any more.

Just sent off my vote this morning, at my local post-office, fortunately I noticed in-time that the pre-printed return-address envelope had forgotten which country to send it to ! So I swiftly added 'United Kingdom' with my trusty biro !

I often wonder is it incompetence, when they make mistakes like this, which are likely to delay the arrival of the votes past the final acceptance-date, or something more sinister ? wink.png

Just sent off my vote this morning, at my local post-office, fortunately I noticed in-time that the pre-printed return-address envelope had forgotten which country to send it to ! So I swiftly added 'United Kingdom' with my trusty biro !

I often wonder is it incompetence, when they make mistakes like this, which are likely to delay the arrival of the votes past the final acceptance-date, or something more sinister ? wink.png

That's odd.

On my return envelope - listed as "Envelope B" in the instructions, in the pre-printed address it had Great Britain on the bottom line. Plus there was an instruction in English and French saying not to affix a stamp, as the recipient would pay postage.

When I sent my vote off, the post office staff's only query was if I was sure it covered international postage and not just domestic.I know it does as it had "by airmail" printed on the envelope.

It looks like maybe all councils don't play by the same rules?

That's odd.

On my return envelope - listed as "Envelope B" in the instructions, in the pre-printed address it had Great Britain on the bottom line. Plus there was an instruction in English and French saying not to affix a stamp, as the recipient would pay postage.

When I sent my vote off, the post office staff's only query was if I was sure it covered international postage and not just domestic.I know it does as it had "by airmail" printed on the envelope.

Indeed, this was the "Envelope B", which ended with Margate, Kent and the postcode. wink.png

I was happy to pay B24 for airmail-postage, to avoid the hassle of trying to persuade non-English/French-speaking counter-staff, that this envelope really could be sent for free all the way to the UK. smile.png

Now that I've done my duty and made my vote, I intend to moan about the result, whichever way it goes ... fun days ahead ! laugh.png

That's odd.

Indeed, this was the "Envelope B", which ended with Margate, Kent and the postcode. wink.png

I was happy to pay B24 for airmail-postage, to avoid the hassle of trying to persuade non-English/French-speaking counter-staff, that this envelope really could be sent for free all the way to the UK. smile.png

Now that I've done my duty and made my vote, I intend to moan about the result, whichever way it goes ... fun days ahead ! laugh.png

Well it's a hobby I suppose! smile.png

Well it's a hobby I suppose! smile.png

Cue a song ... "I'm whinging in the rain" ? rolleyes.gif

A sense-of-humour helps one enjoy, not just survive, life IMO.

But seriously, why ever NOT put the country on the address, that's surely GOT to slow down its delivery, cock-up or conspiracy ... who will ever know ?

Thought some of you might like to know the rules about Envelope B and postage.

I emailed the UK Electroal Commission to ask what the regulation were.

This is the text of my email:

As a postal voter now in Thailand, I've noticed there has been quite a lot of discussion on expat forums here regarding the inconsistency of the postal voting packs sent out by different councils.

Not least has been the questions as to whether it is possible to send a “no stamp required” envelope through the post internationally, without paying to send it to UK.

Charnwood council in Leicestershire who I’m registered with, enclosed Envelope B with text in English and French to say not to attach a stamp as the recipient would pay postage. There was also a post office PHQ reference number and “airmail” in English and French. It had “Great Britain” in the address.

Other postal voters have said their envelope didn’t have the country printed in the address, and no mention of not needing to pay postage.

Is there some regulation that instructs local councils what to write on the envelope – and to use exactly the same format?

If there isn’t, surely something could be created?

Then if queried, a standard sample could be sent to the postal headquarters of the country to explain, allowing non-English speaking countries to understand a stamp is not needed, in the knowledge all councils were using exactly the same envelope design?

This is their reply:

Thank you for your email.

The design of postal vote envelopes are not prescribed in legislation.

However, all Counting Officers were directed by the Chief Counting Officer, Jenny Watson to make arrangements with Royal Mail and ensure that an international business response licence was used on all return envelopes included in postal ballot packs to be sent to overseas addresses.

All postal voters at an overseas address should receive an envelope in which to return their ballot paper which does not require any additional postage. The International Business Reply Service (IBRS) is commonly used for international mail and does not require any additional postage to be affixed. Royal Mail has confirmed that IBRS is accepted across all international posts.

Warm regards,

That's if you think you can rely on Thaipost to understand the French on the prepay envelope. The post office in BKK I gave mine to didn't understand most of the main envelope address, so I had to write in extra including England and U.K. and then paid for International signed for delivery.

That's if you think you can rely on Thaipost to understand the French on the prepay envelope. The post office in BKK I gave mine to didn't understand most of the main envelope address, so I had to write in extra including England and U.K. and then paid for International signed for delivery.

I did say it was in English as well as French. Having said that, the staff asked me to confirm it covered international post-paid postage and not just domestic. After that it was put in the container with the other mail.

I understand where you're coming from about adding Engliand & UK. I also wrote England on mine, to allow for the sorting staff not understanding Great Britain, Or perhaps that should be "sort of staff", rather than "sorting staff". We sometimes do make it difficult for foreigners, when we come from somewhere with three alternative names: England, or the UK, or Great Britain.

It's not only Thai postal staff: Many years ago I went to a post office in the UK to send an airmail letter to Thailand. The counter clerk weighed it, told me the price and crossed out Thailand and replaced it with Taiwan, informing me I'd mis-spelt it. When I pointed I hadn't she looked puzzled and said she'd never heard of Thailand before.

I understand where you're coming from about adding Engliand & UK. I also wrote England on mine, to allow for the sorting staff not understanding Great Britain, Or perhaps that should be "sort of staff", rather than "sorting staff". We sometimes do make it difficult for foreigners, when we come from somewhere with three alternative names: England, or the UK, or Great Britain.

I thought it used to be known as Perfidious Albion too ? rolleyes.gif

Personally I'd love to see the return of historic old names, like Siam and Albion, more sense of tradition !

I thought it used to be known as Perfidious Albion too ? rolleyes.gif

Personally I'd love to see the return of historic old names, like Siam and Albion, more sense of tradition !

I've never heard the UK referred to as that before. I had to look up perfidious as well: Not to be trusted, treacherous.

A search revealed the phrase Perfidious Albion was said to have been first used by the Marquis de Ximenès (1726–1817)

I reckon it would confuse more than just Thai postal staff!

Seems that even the Germans were confused by the EU postal vote envelopes.smile.png

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/07/thousands-eu-referendum-postal-votes-feared-lost-germany

I see the ever-reliable Grauniad referred to "the pre-paid envelopes were valid under the Internal Business Reply Service (IBRS)", when the "I

" is actually International.

Having said that, the irony that in a referendum about European unity there's a lack of it in the postal service, wasn't lost on me.

Archived