Hybrid Cars in Thailand

For now I would not buy a hybrid and the reason is the technology is still in its infancy. I would let it mature a few more years then think of buying one.

20 years of retail hybrids and you think the technology is in its infancy? The first Model T rolled off the line in 1908 making the entire auto industry only 108 yrs old ... Electric cars were around before the Model T... Infancy my arse! You would have still been riding a horse in 1928 'cause the auto industry was 'still in its infancy'...

Yes it is in its infancy. Sure it has been around quite a while but it has still got limited range and you have to rely on the fuel section to get you anywhere. when they overcome the range and the higher price they will be worth seriously looking at but until then they are still in development stage and that by any standard is the infancy stage

Yeah right - only 1,373 kilos per tank really sucks.....

Try another excuse......

For now I would not buy a hybrid and the reason is the technology is still in its infancy. I would let it mature a few more years then think of buying one.

20 years of retail hybrids and you think the technology is in its infancy? The first Model T rolled off the line in 1908 making the entire auto industry only 108 yrs old ... Electric cars were around before the Model T... Infancy my arse! You would have still been riding a horse in 1928 'cause the auto industry was 'still in its infancy'...

Yes it is in its infancy. Sure it has been around quite a while but it has still got limited range and you have to rely on the fuel section to get you anywhere. when they overcome the range and the higher price they will be worth seriously looking at but until then they are still in development stage and that by any standard is the infancy stage

Some truth there ... but infancy stage ... F1 cars are in a continual development stage ... ☺

In your opinion why is it in the infancy stage?

the early stage in the development or growth of something.

"opinion polls were in their infancy"

synonyms: beginnings, early days, early stages; seeds, roots; start, commencement, rise, emergence, genesis, dawn, birth, inception

"music video was in its infancy"

Infancy would be at birth not 20 years later.

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2016 at 3:20 AM, gandalf12 said:

Its a quite old threat, I admit, but reading this and just could not ignore replying to a false statement like this. Hybrid technology exists on the consumer market since the late 90's and was used in more specific and more professional / experimental applications even before that. The technology is actually very potent and full-grown. Although for Thai market I think they better concentrate on hybrid cars which don't need to be plugged-in. I read a lot of articles about Mercedes and BMW going to offer this types of hybrid cars for Thai market which doesn't make sense at all as most condos / apartments / homes still aren't equipped to do this. 

If for anything to be called being in its infancy I would say battery technology is still at that. But hybrid technology is not. This is by the way the technology to let a combustion engine and electric motor work together where the combustion engine also serves as the generator. That is hybrid technology. That this technology relies on batteries is a fact, but battery tech is a whole different thing and yes, it progresses far less speedy compared to the technology where they are being used for. So stating that hybrid technology's Achilles heel is battery tech is far more accurate than stating that hybrid technology is in its infancy

Edited by GuntherBKK
Wrong button press

19 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

The Yanks chuck the Prius away like disposeable cigarete lighters.

please tell me where this is happening ?????

I have not seen this anywhere around the Los Angeles area ,  even 10 year old ones are $4000-$5000

Hybrids are little more than gimmicks. Designed to give folks a warm fuzzy feeling they're doing something good for the environment whilst wearing it on their sleeve.

The things have twice circled the planet before they've turned a wheel and the additional weight from the storage cells does little to improve fuel efficiency by comparison to a well designed gasoline powered auto. Not to mention all the energy consumed to handle the expired storage cells.

Fuel cells (although in their infancy, are the way to go). Rapid advancements are now being made. Check out: the: Chevrolet Colorado ZH2. The future, defined by an American company.

Way to go.

Jerry

There is a vehicle called a Tesla which is in many ways a better car than most 'fuel fed system' vehicles. the problem is not electric tech, or even batteries at this point it is overcoming the fossil fuel industry's lobbyists and getting investment into charging stations to support an electric fleet of retail vehicles.

Exactly! Remember the engine that burned water? The oil companies bought the patents and destroyed the technology....

It takes too long to charge plug-ins to make charging stations economically viable. Electricity is not all that cheap either...