Drunk driver who killed motorcyclist has trouble with his memory

webfact

Drunk driver who killed motorcyclist has trouble with his memory

bkk.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A drunk driver who slammed into a motorcyclist in a Bangkok tunnel told police that the bike lost control and there was nothing he could do to avoid him.

But CCTV footage of the accident posted quickly on Facebook painted a different picture. The pick up driven by the drunk clearly goes into the wrong lane and smashes head on into the motorcycle giving him no chance reported Thairath.

The accident happened at the Tha Pra tunnel heading to Charoen Sanitwong. Dead at the scene was Wairasak Horthong, 28, who was driving a Yamaha Fino. Somsong Wanthamat was delivering bread snacks to private schools in his Isuzu D-Max when the collision occurred.

He was found to be over the alcohol limit with 147 mg in his blood.

The tunnel was closed while the dead man was extricated from under the pick-up. There was traffic chaos in several roads in the area after 9am. Somsong, 37, said "I saw a bike coming and he lost control and I hit him. It was raining and I braked but I could not avoid him.

He was charged with drunk driving and police at the time said they would wait until witness statements were made and CCTV was checked before charges of negligent driving causing death are laid.

The CCTV was freely available to view on Facebook and showed a somewhat different scenario with the pick-up veering into the wrong lane, spinning round and killing the motorcyclist instantly. The motorcyclist was driving on the far left.

However, the incident is somewhat complicated by the fact that motorcyclists are not allowed to use the tunnel by law.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-02

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?

"A drunk driver who slammed into a motorcyclist in a Bangkok tunnel told police that the bike lost control and there was nothing he could do to avoid him."

Yes, was that just before or strait after he saw the flying purple Elephant? facepalm.gif

Edited by FourAces

Nothing he could do, how about not getting pissed and jumping behind the wheel. Not my fault, I was drunk isn't a defence.

But sadly, this is fast becoming the most common defense nowadays.

Interesting quote. " Motorcyclists are not allowed to use the tunnel by law". I counted quite a few in there. Also, this will be used as his 'Get out of ail free card'. If the motorcyclist hadn't been in the tunnel, the accident wouldn't have happened.

Nothing he could do, how about not getting pissed and jumping behind the wheel. Not my fault, I was drunk isn't a defence.

Being drunk should be treated as an aggravation but that's maybe too much for Thai ' justice ' to grasp.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Hard to believe that this guy was so drunk at that hour in the morning. Even harder to believe was that he was working and his job was delivering foodstuff to schools. One has to be thankful this guy only killed one lone driver whereas he could have killed many children on his route.

wow. Those cars looked like they were going pretty fast. Probably going as fast as the car in front of them with no regard to whatever the speed limit is. Empty space, speed up. But a good lesson here why riding a motorcycle is so dangerous. You are vulnerable and unprotected.

He was found to be over the alcohol limit with 147 mg in his blood.

Why didn't he just refuse the test, say he didn't have time for it, might come in for it tomorrow or the next day? Oh yeah, he isn't a rich hi-so.

Hard to believe that this guy was so drunk at that hour in the morning. Even harder to believe was that he was working and his job was delivering foodstuff to schools. One has to be thankful this guy only killed one lone driver whereas he could have killed many children on his route.

Maybe he was an alcoholic.

Many alcoholics would actually be more dangerous if they didn't have that drink in the morning.

wow. Those cars looked like they were going pretty fast. Probably going as fast as the car in front of them with no regard to whatever the speed limit is. Empty space, speed up. But a good lesson here why riding a motorcycle is so dangerous. You are vulnerable and unprotected.

Riding a motorbike is dangerous? Or drunken <deleted> driving pick ups are a danger to other road users?

Makes a change that this driver didn't run away. Bit more difficult in a tunnel I guess.

" Motorcyclists are not allowed to use the tunnel by law" the police tend to treat each offence separately, so that shouldn't make a difference to the charges on the drunk driver. My partner had an accident where someone had parked a black vehicle at night right by an unlit junction and with no lights on - red/white kerb. As she turned she clipped his vehicle but the police said it was her fault and her insurance paid for both repairs. Yet he also charged the other vehicle driver for parking illegally - 400Baht fine.

"somewhat complicated by fact motorcyclists aren't allowed to use tunnel by law"...... your kidding me right........ take that little chestnut apart and you open up justification for anything goes....

for example..... scooter delivery driver gets assaulted and bashed unconscious .. police would like to press charges but as scooter driver was unlawfully riding down the pedestrian footpath at the time of the incident no charges can be laid...... elderly grandmother killed at pedestrian crossing.. police would like to lay charges against driver but he was both unlicensed and driving an unregistered vehicle and thus shouldn't have been on the road they cannot ....

Culpability has no basis on the affected/ inflicted party doing or performing legal actions at the time of the incident .....

Open up this can of worms and create legal precedent and you arguably would never get a drivers license or register your car thus creating ability to deny any culpable actions based on the fact that you shouldn't have been on the road ..

Sheer madness

Oh my GOD. that's scary.....to add to this, he's a f..... Lier

99% of Thai male drivers then.

He walks off where? To take a p$ss? Looks like he hasn't a care in the world.

Complete and utter scumbag.

My early morning cycle ride, 6.30 am, takes me past the village 'watering hole'. Guys are in there already drinking bottles of Chang and Lao Kao.

The video is not in real time. Watch to the end and notice the speed the hazard lights flash and the windscreen wipers move. Clearly speeded up.

Judging by what happens to the two motorcyclists following the conditions were very slippery.

This is prolly your average morning delivery guy......

As a long term rider of a moped in Thailand I'm shocked to see this, one minute here next minute he is gone and not a thing he could of done.

I think I need to get a car.

Buy a tank.

Oh my GOD. that's scary.....to add to this, he's a f..... Lier

99% of Thai male drivers then.

He walks off where? To take a p$ss? Looks like he hasn't a care in the world.

Complete and utter scumbag.

Looks like he tried to drive away first but the truck was stuck on the bike so he just walked off.

Rot in hell bastard.

He should not have hit him as he should nor have been there. Great logic.

If he had been doing 150km/hr down the wrong side I might have a smidgeon of understanding, but anyone in charge of a tonne of metal whilst drunk needs locking up for a very long time.

Delivering bread to schools ? Where the hell was the supervision, either by his employer if he had one, or by the authorities that he is fit to do his job. Welcome to Thailand.