New Brexit polls suggest shift in favour of leaving the EU

webfact

Jeremy Corbyn less than a year ago

EU job been offered Jeremy ?

Yet in a couple of months he becomes the Leader of the Labour Party and immediately changes his stance.

I just cannot believe how unprincipled many politicians are. Is it any wonder that the public have nothing but utter contempt for them.

Edited by nontabury

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the East Midlands so that supports the Telegraph's article, I think you actually need to be on the ground here in the UK to see what uncontrolled migration has done to the country, more so in the traditional working class areas, possibily these are by definition the more cheaper areas so would attract more poorer migrants, this is where we feel the impact, on housing, schools,doctors waiting times, jobs etc where you walk through your city and do not here English spoken, where as the more affluent areas would feel the impact less, I for one accept that there well nay be a price to pay for leaving, to me the choice is more of the same, or take the hit, we have had recessions before while I would prefer no to have another if thats the price to get our country back it will be a small one, as to all the scare stories, for a start maybe they worked for a while, now I am tired of hearing them and treat them as just that scare stories you tell little children to frighten them.

Brexit won't change any of the above. What you need is Asian exit. How many of the immigrants that make your life so difficult come from Europe and how many cone from India,Pakistan etc?

Nail, head.

wrong actually

If the various topics I have read in the newspapers are to be believed the £ will be expected to take a hit in the initial few months after BREXITbut in the longer term it is expected to rally again.

I am no expert in these matters - far from it - so I go by what I read.

I DO notice though that the bigger the company / financial institution, the more they are crying over the thought of BREXIT becoming a reality and that is why the markets are suffering slightly regards the £. Seems to me it is being rigged to scare us into vorting to stay in the autocratic E.U.

These huge corporations are the ones with the most to lose.

Yesterday? I was reading about the RHA (Road Haulage Association) and they too were saying the small to medium companies are the ones hardest hit by E.U. regulations. The largest companies are all for remaining.

Yet, it is - I believe - the small to medium companies that employ most people overall.

It seems then that the big companies will benefit and the others will not if we remain in the E.U.

I am not rich by any means but I am willing to take a hit on my £ FX rates in the shorter term to see a Free Britain with its own soveriengty, no E.U. army, no E.U police force and to be able to have our law making abilities.

Dictatorship by autocrats be damned. Freedom and BREXIT is my dream.

I live in the East Midlands so that supports the Telegraph's article, I think you actually need to be on the ground here in the UK to see what uncontrolled migration has done to the country, more so in the traditional working class areas, possibily these are by definition the more cheaper areas so would attract more poorer migrants, this is where we feel the impact, on housing, schools,doctors waiting times, jobs etc where you walk through your city and do not here English spoken, where as the more affluent areas would feel the impact less, I for one accept that there well nay be a price to pay for leaving, to me the choice is more of the same, or take the hit, we have had recessions before while I would prefer no to have another if thats the price to get our country back it will be a small one, as to all the scare stories, for a start maybe they worked for a while, now I am tired of hearing them and treat them as just that scare stories you tell little children to frighten them.

Brexit won't change any of the above. What you need is Asian exit. How many of the immigrants that make your life so difficult come from Europe and how many cone from India,Pakistan etc?

Nail, head.

wrong actually

Yeah Bradford, Birmingham the hub of Europeans!! Just like the London bombers, they came through Europe too. Lol

Beginning around 1948 (post World War II) Germany, utterly destroyed by the Allies, begins to create the "Deutsche Wirtschaftswunder"

(Economic miracle), until it not only became the envy of Europe, but was in stark contrast to a moribund Britain (supposedly a "victor"

in the War}. Interestingly, Britain was the biggest recipient of Marshall Aid (26%), with Germany only receiving 11%.

Hard work, discipline and motivation obviously won through, for the German people.

Much has been said about the United Kingdom not being able to go it alone without (or outside of) the European Union, as a player on

the global stage. Here is a reminder (if it is needed) of an extremely small sample of United Kingdom citizens and their inventions.

We must never believe that there is not the talent, nor the skill, nor the ability, nor the creativity of British folk to challenge the world, and

achieve a British Economic Miracle.

Newton’s Laws

Inventor: Isaac Newton

Programmable Computer

Inventor: Charles Babbage

Smallpox Vaccination

Inventor: Dr. Edward Jenner

Electric Motor

Inventor: Michael Farraday

Television

Inventor: John Logie Baird

World Wide Web

Inventor: Tim Berners Lee

The Telephone

Inventor: Alexander Graham Bell

Photography

Inventor: Thomas Wedgewood

Jet Engine

Inventor: Frank Whittle

Steam Locomotive

Inventor: Richard Trevithick

Hovercraft

Inventor: Christopher Cockerell

Leave now enjoys a 53%-47% advantage once “don’t knows” are excluded, according to research conducted over the weekend, compared with a 52%-48% split reported by ICM a fortnight ago.

As with the Scottish vote, the media are not only ignoring the don't know's, they seem to be actively hiding them, in the service of dramatic headlines. They are certainly undertaking no serious analysis of how those don't knows will vote, which still make up 13% of the total. I still stay the majority of these people will either not vote, or vote to stay. It will be close but it will be a Remain and then back to business as usual.

Pensions, drawdowns, investments and foreign exchange are being eroded:

"Shares in London hit a fresh three-month low on Tuesday as Brexit worries swept through the City, wiping £30bn off the value of blue-chip companies.

The FTSE 100 index closed down 121 points at 5923, its lowest level since late February, and its fourth day of heavy falls. Across the continent investors suffered a similar fate as shares plunged on most bourses, taking losses on the Eurostoxx 600 over the last five days to €600bn.

The pound also tumbled 1.2% to below $1.41, its lowest for two months, and the price of a barrel of oil fell $1 as concerns over the global economy sent investors rushing for havens.

The FTSE index of top shares has now shed 378 points since last Wednesday, when Brexit fears began to mount on polls showing the leave campaign taking an unexpected lead.

The pound has fallen by more than 12% since last November and could fall by anything between 15% and 30% after a vote to leave the EU, according to a range of economic forecasts."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/14/ftse-100-three-month-low-brexit-fears-shares-sterling

Leave now enjoys a 53%-47% advantage once “don’t knows” are excluded, according to research conducted over the weekend, compared with a 52%-48% split reported by ICM a fortnight ago.

As with the Scottish vote, the media are not only ignoring the don't know's, they seem to be actively hiding them, in the service of dramatic headlines. They are certainly undertaking no serious analysis of how those don't knows will vote, which still make up 13% of the total. I still stay the majority of these people will either not vote, or vote to stay. It will be close but it will be a Remain and then back to business as usual.

Let's hope you're right!

Those pesky "Don't Knows", what to do with them? I know, we'll just assume they're all going to vote Leave, most people don't read past the numbers anyway, simples! blink.pngcoffee1.gif

Edited by chiang mai

Today's scare story

Osborne predicts £30bn hole in public finance if UK votes to leave EU

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/14/osborne-predicts-30bn-hole-in-public-finance-if-uk-votes-to-leave-eu

A couple of points.

1. Read the comments. As I have said so many times, you blew it with the scare stories, nobody cares any longer.

2. Anybody post any links to Osborne's Economics qualifications ?

Here is how good his economic predictions are.

Deficit figures an embarrassment for George Osborne as he misses targets set last month

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/04/21/deficit-figures-an-embarrassment-for-george-osborne-as-he-misses/

Those pesky "Don't Knows", what to do with them? I know, we'll just assume they're all going to vote Leave, most people don't read past the numbers anyway, simples! blink.pngcoffee1.gif

Maybe the Undecideds/Don't Knows should read this:

Here are a few that strongly believe the UK should remain a member of the EU:

• Governor of the Bank of England

• International Monetary Fund

• Institute for Fiscal Studies

• Confederation of British Industry

• Leaders/heads of state of every single other member of the EU

• President of the United States of America

• Eight former US Treasury Secretaries

• President of China

• Prime Minister of India

• Prime Minister of Canada

• Prime Minister of Australia

• Prime Minister of Japan

• Prime Minister of New Zealand

• The chief executives of most of the top 100 companies in the UK including Marks and Spencer, BT, Asda, Vodafone, Virgin, IBM, BMW etc.

• Kofi Annan, the former Secretary General of the United Nations

• All living former Prime Ministers of the UK (from both parties)

• Virtually all reputable and recognised economists

• The Prime Minister of the UK

• The leader of the Labour Party

• The Leader of the Liberal Democrats

• The Leader of the Green Party

• The Leader of the Scottish National Party

• The leader of Plaid Cymru

• Leader of Sinn Fein

• Martin Lewis, that money saving dude off the telly

• The Secretary General of the TUC

• Unison

• National Union of Students

• National Union of Farmers

• Stephen Hawking

• Chief Executive of the NHS

• 300 of the most prominent international historians

• Director of Europol

• David Anderson QC, Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation

• Former Directors of GCHQ

• Secretary General of Nato

• Church of England

• Church in Scotland

• Church in Wales

• Friends of the Earth

• Greenpeace

• Director General of the World Trade Organisation

• WWF

• World Bank

• OECD

Here are pretty much the only notable people who think we should leave the EU:

• Boris Johnson, who probably doesn’t really care either way, but knows he’ll become Prime Minister if the country votes to leave

• A former Secretary of State for Work and Pensions who carried out a brutal regime of cuts to benefits and essential support for the poorest in society as well as the disabled and sick

• That idiot that was Education Secretary and every single teacher in the country hated with a furious passion for the damage he was doing to the education system

• Leader of UKIP

• BNP

• Britain First

• Donald Trump

• Keith Chegwin

• David Icke

What most people are missing from this is that once Britain leaves the EU, the EU itself will collapse.

I'd say that Netherlands would be next to insist on a referendum and then leave. The only countries that will want to stay will be the poor countries along with France and Germany but even then, I think the people of France will push to leave too.

That's why the EU are so scared. They can see the writing on the wall.

Leave now enjoys a 53%-47% advantage once dont knows are excluded, according to research conducted over the weekend, compared with a 52%-48% split reported by ICM a fortnight ago.

The Leader of the Scottish National Party

The leader of Plaid Cymru

Leader of Sinn Fein

Well I'm sure these people have the interest of the British people at heart. Now why am I not surprised to see Gerry Adems the leader of Sinn Fein wanting the democratic rights of the British people to be sacrificed to the Un-elected commissioners in Brussels.

post-78707-0-31146600-1465959777_thumb.j

• President of China

• The chief executives of most of the top 100 companies in the UK including Marks and Spencer, BT, Asda, Vodafone, Virgin, IBM, BMW etc.

• Leader of Sinn Fein

• Unison

• Stephen Hawking

• Director of Europol

• Church of England

• Church in Scotland

• Church in Wales

• Friends of the Earth

• Greenpeace

• WWF

• World Bank

• OECD

• Boris Johnson, who probably doesn’t really care either way, but knows he’ll become Prime Minister if the country votes to leave

• A former Secretary of State for Work and Pensions who carried out a brutal regime of cuts to benefits and essential support for the poorest in society as well as the disabled and sick

• That idiot that was Education Secretary and every single teacher in the country hated with a furious passion for the damage he was doing to the education system

• Leader of UKIP

• BNP

• Britain First

• Donald Trump

• Keith Chegwin

• David Icke

You forgot to add "most of the british electorate" (according to polls) to the out list

• President of China

• Leader of Sinn Fein

• Unison

• Stephen Hawking

• Director of Europol

• Church of England

• Church in Scotland

• Church in Wales

• Friends of the Earth

• Greenpeace

• WWF

• World Bank

• OECD

• Leader of UKIP

• BNP

• Britain First

• Donald Trump

• Keith Chegwin

• David Icke

You forgot to add "most of the british electorate" (according to polls) to the out list

Typical Brexiteer numeracy skills: "most" implies more than 50%, 47 is not more than 50!

You didn't have a hand in the 53% above and the undecided voters did you!

Meanwhile, the UK onshore and offshore populations, elated at their country's new found freedom, start to make their plans for the coming year(s):

For the onshore group this means tightening the purse strings as interest rates are going to rise, imported goods become more expensive and mortgage rates increase - holidays abroad are cancelled as a result of the poor exchange rates, pensioners are forced to tighten their already tight belts as the value of pension funds and draw downs decreases.

The offshore group fares similarly, foreign currency exchange rates means UK pensions and investments translate into fewer Baht per Pound - the requirement for retirees to have 800,000 baht in the bank is a step too far for some. For many this is the straw that broke the camels back and they have to return to the UK leaving behind them partners and extended families and their overseas homes for some of more than twenty years - faced with such a loss so late in life, the suicide rate amongst expats increases.

Meanwhile, the UK onshore and offshore populations, elated at their country's new found freedom, start to make their plans for the coming year(s):

For the onshore group this means tightening the purse strings as interest rates are going to rise, imported goods become more expensive and mortgage rates increase - holidays abroad are cancelled as a result of the poor exchange rates, pensioners are forced to tighten their already tight belts as the value of pension funds and draw downs decreases.

The offshore group fares similarly, foreign currency exchange rates means UK pensions and investments translate into fewer Baht per Pound - the requirement for retirees to have 800,000 baht in the bank is a step too far for some. For many this is the straw that broke the camels back and they have to return to the UK leaving behind them partners and extended families and their overseas homes for some of more than twenty years - faced with such a loss so late in life, the suicide rate amongst expats increases.

Don't do it CM it will get better, a few less leo's don't panic!!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This is brilliant

the requirement for retirees to have 800,000 baht in the bank is a step too far for some.

800,000 Baht in the bank is 800,000 Baht in the bank. Regardless of where the £ goes.

• President of China

• Leader of Sinn Fein

• Unison

• Stephen Hawking

• Director of Europol

• Church of England

• Church in Scotland

• Church in Wales

• Friends of the Earth

• Greenpeace

• WWF

• World Bank

• OECD

• Leader of UKIP

• BNP

• Britain First

• Donald Trump

• Keith Chegwin

• David Icke

Don't be so sure!

Excellent! biggrin.png

Feed that to Operation Scaremongering at Tory HQ!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This is brilliant

the requirement for retirees to have 800,000 baht in the bank is a step too far for some.

800,000 Baht in the bank is 800,000 Baht in the bank. Regardless of where the £ goes.

I know how you are with numbers Rock so I'll spell it out for you more clearly:

The UK pension is banked in Pounds and then converted to Thai Baht at a rate that is around 20% lower than it was previously, ditto private pensions, investment income and drawdown. Faced with a loss of 20% of their income many are forced to dip into their 800k account in the hope that things will improve, they don't hence the 800k cannot be reconstituted in time for visa extension.

Would be retirees who are still in the UK and planning their new life in Thailand are forced to curtail retirement plans, wives and partners are at a loss what to do/think.

Leo's: naw, I don't do alcohol and I'm actually very OK for Baht personally, I have over ten years on hand in banks here - others (many) have only a few thousand and live from pension payment to pension payment, we've seen evidence of this repeatedly over the years as the exchange rates have moved against the Pound..

C.M you're becoming embarrassing. What absolute rubbish.Just admit, Brexit will be the best for the UK,and even more importantly for the British people.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This is brilliant

The UK pension is banked in Pounds and then converted to Thai Baht at a rate that is around 20% lower than it was previously, ditto private pensions, investment income and drawdown. Faced with a loss of 20% of their income many are forced to dip into their 800k account in the hope that things will improve, they don't hence the 800k cannot be reconstituted in time for visa extension.

Would be retirees who are still in the UK and planning their new life in Thailand are forced to curtail retirement plans, wives and partners are at a loss what to do/think.

Leo's: naw, I don't do alcohol and I'm actually very OK for Baht personally, I have over ten years on hand in banks here - others (many) have only a few thousand and live from pension payment to pension payment, we've seen evidence of this repeatedly over the years as the exchange rates have moved against the Pound..

Wrong attitude (negative) CM.

Option 1, marry someone as you only need 400k in the bank.

Option 2, your State Pension will still be worth circa 20,000 Baht pm (even with the Doomsday 20% prediction) - use the combined method and just keep 560k in the bank

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This is brilliant

That is an absolutely fantastic explanation CM. Well done. I might have struggled to work any of that out given my limited education.

It is a pity that your SUPERIOR education completely ignores my post, which was 800,000 Baht in the bank is 800,000 Baht in the bank regardless of where the £ goes.

Now if you want to discuss all those other things like drawdowns, Thai Baht rates or anything else, I am all ears. Providing you can read, digest and understand what is actually posted, rather than what you think is posted.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This is brilliant

But 65,000 income requirement goes up from £1,300 per month at 50:1 THB:GBP to £1,625 per month at 40:1 (if the muted 20% drop happens).

CM did miss one demographic though, those working overseas will get more GBP when shipping money back & we'll all have cheaper trips back.

Though this applies to me, I'm still in the Remain camp but will be shipping a bucket load of cash back if the pound does plummet.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This is brilliant

But 65,000 income requirement goes up from £1,300 per month at 50:1 THB:GBP to £1,625 per month at 40:1 (if the muted 20% drop happens).

CM did miss one demographic though, those working overseas will get more GBP when shipping money back & we'll all have cheaper trips back.

Though this applies to me, I'm still in the Remain camp but will be shipping a bucket load of cash back if the pound does plummet.

JB.

I did not dispute this, I never even mentioned it.

My post pertained to 800.000 Baht sitting in a Thai bank. Which will not change regardless of where the £ goes, exchange rate fluctuations or anything else.

I will be more than ecstatic to see a rate of £1 = US $ 1 even though I can appreciate that it will be bad for some others.

All nonsense from the same people that said the pound would collapse if we didn't join the single currency.

Baseless speculation, not to mention overly verbose.