Tips.

I typically tip between 15% and 20% of the total bill, but if the service is not on par than they can expect to not be tipped at all.

I generally establish what the locals do and expect

In the USA tipping is high

In europe much lower

So in thailand a few Batt is acceptable, 15 to 20 % is just plain daft and add to expectations

I do not tip airplane captains

Some yacht captains earning 200,000 plus usa dollars expect tips

A fool and his money is easily parted

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I typically tip between 15% and 20% of the total bill, but if the service is not on par than they can expect to not be tipped at all.

In europe much lower

So in thailand a few Batt is acceptable, 15 to 20 % is just plain daft and add to expectations

You go ahead and tip as cheaply as the Thais do and see the kind of service you receive next time you go back to the same establishment.

The fantastic quality of service I receive each and every time I return to the restaurants that I generally frequent is almost to the point of embarrasing.

You have your way and I have mine.

I prefer mine.

And BTW.

It's a fool and his money are soon parted.

Someone who loses their money quickly, either by being tricked or spending it wastefully.

If you consider someone being giving a nice tip for exceptional service being performed by a low waged worker wasteful than that's your opinion.

I consider it generous.

Who would tip an airline pilot, boat captain or hotel manager? Do Americans tip their President if they happen to meet him or other highly paid public officials and service providers?

Edited by Stevemercer

In europe much lower

You go ahead and tip as cheaply as the Thais do and see the kind of service you receive next time you go back to the same establishment.

The fantastic quality of service I receive each and every time I return to the restaurants that I generally frequent is almost to the point of embarrasing.

I prefer mine.

And BTW.

Someone who loses their money quickly, either by being tricked or spending it wastefully.

If you consider someone being giving a nice tip for exceptional service being performed by a low waged worker wasteful than that's your opinion.

I consider it generous.

You're wrong. I get great service. I tip Thai style in Thailand. Try it!

I'm always minded that what is essentially nothing to me, might mean a lot to someone else.

If a good service is provided then I tip fairly generously, much to my wife's annoyance.

Hotel cleaners usually good for 500 to 1000 baht, and in most instances the latter. They invariably work their socks off and leave our room spotlessly clean then happy to tip well.

Waiters / waitresses are always good for a few hundred baht as long as they have provided a good service, whether or not a service charge is added to the bill.

It's nice to make a difference to someone's day.

Agree totally, whilst I don't tip a thousand baht, it is nice to see the look on peoples faces when you give them a decent tip.

I feel I'm lucky to get a good salary, why not be generous to people who haven't been given the opportunities I have.

In europe much lower

I prefer mine.

And BTW.

I consider it generous.

You're wrong. I get great service. I tip Thai style in Thailand. Try it!
I'm sure you do but, McDonald's doesn't count.

I've been out plenty of times and have seen the usual cheap Charlie's sitting around me and I can guarantee you they do not get the level of service that is given to me.

And exactly what is tipping Thai style in Thailand.

Is that when your bill is 2995b and you leave the 5b coin.

Or is it when your bill is 2995b and you take the 5b coin.

Edited by Rayk

Don't be idiotic. I never eat at McDonald's.

OK, you don't eat at McDonald's, fair enough.

But I also noticed you reside in Pattaya and am aware that a tip is not required when paying for short time or long time and that excellent service will be provided.

But I also noticed you reside in Pattaya and am aware that a tip is not required when paying for short time or long time and that excellent service will be provided.

Ignore list.

Ignore list.

Awesome.

Threads like this show how little many posters really know about Thailand.May people only stay in tourist town's or in foreign serving resorts or areas. These areas adopt foreign ways because they see the way foreigners behave. these foreigners then feel they understand Thailand and Thai ways. But in reality they are seeing Thai's adapting to foreigners to make them comfortable and spend money.

If most of you would go out and spend time in the rest of Thailand where Thai's live as Thai's you will find out Thai's do not tip. So this thread is about protocol in tourist traps not in Thailand.

People may say they have travleled all over Asia and seen tipping every where they went. Sure travel and stay with tourists in tourist areas you will see every where.That does not mean it is part of the culture or behavior of the nation.It is some thing foreign that foreigners do.

Edited by lovelomsak

If I am eating in a simple place, and the bill is around 100-300 baht, I will typically leave 20 baht or so. I get more gratitude from the staff here, for a 20 baht tip, than I do for a $20 tip back in the US! And yes, I hand it to them directly.

As far as the service charge goes, I will usually ask the staff is they receive all of the 10%. Often they will say no. I will then give them the 20 baht, or so. They are grateful, as they are working for callous, greedy, ungrateful, boorish owners, who are completely lacking in perspective, and are leading lives of desolation, worshiping at the alter of the cash God, and taking advantage of everyone that comes in their path. Much like corn hair donald. LOL.

Most of the wait staff in Thai restaurants do not make much money. And they are quite grateful for the tips we give them. Most Thai people will not tip. A lot of Europeans will not tip. So, some of us have to make up for them. Anyway, the 20 baht does not mean much to us, and if I have received good service, why not?

If I am eating in a simple place, and the bill is around 100-300 baht, I will typically leave 20 baht or so. I get more gratitude from the staff here, for a 20 baht tip, than I do for a $20 tip back in the US! And yes, I hand it to them directly.

As far as the service charge goes, I will usually ask the staff is they receive all of the 10%. Often they will say no. I will then give them the 20 baht, or so. They are grateful, as they are working for callous, greedy, ungrateful, boorish owners, who are completely lacking in perspective, and are leading lives of desolation, worshiping at the alter of the cash God, and taking advantage of everyone that comes in their path. Much like corn hair donald. LOL.

Most of the wait staff in Thai restaurants do not make much money. And they are quite grateful for the tips we give them. Most Thai people will not tip. A lot of Europeans will not tip. So, some of us have to make up for them. Anyway, the 20 baht does not mean much to us, and if I have received good service, why not?

"So, some of us have to make up for them."

Why so?

I agree about business operators who charge for service and then still deliberately underpay their staff to put it off on the customer though. Neither honest nor "customer-friendly" IMO, and I both talk-down and don't go back to those places.

Why so?

I agree about business operators who charge for service and then still deliberately underpay their staff to put it off on the customer though. Neither honest nor "customer-friendly" IMO, and I both talk-down and don't go back to those places.

Because it is the right thing to do. Because they provide us good service, and we have enough money to pay a tip of under $1. What on earth is wrong with that? Is it really going to affect your budget? Why avoid paying a small tip, just because most Thais are too cheap, or inconsiderate, to do so? Granted, we are living in a foreign land. But, why move to another part of the world, and then allow ourselves to pick up all of the bad habits of the locals? Nobody likes a Cheap Charlie. It is not an attractive, nor an appealing trait. Open up your wallet. Be kind. Share something.

Why so?

Because it is the right thing to do. Because they provide us good service, and we have enough money to pay a tip of under $1. What on earth is wrong with that? Is it really going to affect your budget? Why avoid paying a small tip, just because most Thais are too cheap, or inconsiderate, to do so? Granted, we are living in a foreign land. But, why move to another part of the world, and then allow ourselves to pick up all of the bad habits of the locals? Nobody likes a Cheap Charlie. It is not an attractive, nor an appealing trait. Open up your wallet. Be kind. Share something.

The "right thing to do" according to whom? You? And you didn't answer the question with your Pollyanna moralizing. My question was: why am I responsible for "making up for" the bad habits of somebody else?

You know, it's kind o' funny. If someone doesn't wai when some other foreigner thinks he ought, or doesn't particularly enjoy the false smiles, or being scammed, or aggressive ladyboys, or soi dogs, or perhaps a rude neighbor or in-law, then he's accused of not respecting the local "culture". But if he follows the local practice WRT something ELSE like "tipping", THEN he's a "cheap Charlie". Well screw that. Being obsessed with what some other visitor to the country - who likely knows no more than you do - is going to think is strictly for the soft-headed. Fact is, tipping is NOT part of the local culture; it's something the locals have picked up on and developed an annoying sense of entitlement to, mostly from Americans, now try to shame naive tourists with, and the inevitable do-gooder comes along to try & pile on with some silly moralizing. And then to suggest that there's some moral duty to actually compensate for everyone else's failures, as YOU in YOUR infinite wisdom see them, is just ludicrous. Really. It's laughable. And finally, playing that game only encourages business operators to underpay their staff. So congratulations; you're part of the problem. (Maybe you're actually one of these business operators yourself; just shilling here to get patrons to do what you yourself are too cheap to be doing...) Anyway, well done.

If you wanna' tip, then by all means tip. 'Up to you, as it ought to be. But it's got absolutely nothing to do with what anyone else is doing or not doing. And if you're going to do it, then don't come whining to me about Thai culture.

The service charge goes to the owner who normally uses it towards staff wages.

If the tip is left with the bill folder or on table then it normally goes into collective box to be divided between staff and usually the management takes a cut of up to 20%.

I prefer to tip the staff directly but sometimes they put this in the the collective box.

I once asked staff about what happened to the service charge and tips & was told that some customers before ordering state that they would not be paying the service charge and the manager waives it.

I was wondering about if I have pay the service charge, in the UK we don't have to and can refuse can I do the same here?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ah Yes on tipping here in LOS.These local people in the service industry have an income of very little and most depend on tips to make a difference. Usually if you are American or Canadian German,Scandinavian and several other Europeans a tip of 10 to 20 % is made .The Japanese about 5 to 10 % ,English and Chinese it is ZERO and if a Scotsman you might ask for a reduction in the bin.

ln all my travels around this world(been to every continent except Antarctica & South America), l have NEVER met a mean Scotsman.

l guess you were kidding & its accepted that Scots are like their stereotype, we & some Scots even joke about it.

l have met good & bad Scots, but none that l remember as mean.

Maybe they try harder as they know what people think.

Some of the meanest s.o.bs are my fellow Ozzies.

As a Scot decent I am having a bit of fun with this.I learned how to make the jokes from my dad.If you can laugh at yourself then you can laugh with the world.( my quote)JFWj
What do you call 2 Scott's on a clothes line

A pair of tights

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Why so?

The "right thing to do" according to whom? You? And you didn't answer the question with your Pollyanna moralizing. My question was: why am I responsible for "making up for" the bad habits of somebody else?

You know, it's kind o' funny. If someone doesn't wai when some other foreigner thinks he ought, or doesn't particularly enjoy the false smiles, or being scammed, or aggressive ladyboys, or soi dogs, or perhaps a rude neighbor or in-law, then he's accused of not respecting the local "culture". But if he follows the local practice WRT something ELSE like "tipping", THEN he's a "cheap Charlie". Well screw that. Being obsessed with what some other visitor to the country - who likely knows no more than you do - is going to think is strictly for the soft-headed. Fact is, tipping is NOT part of the local culture; it's something the locals have picked up on and developed an annoying sense of entitlement to, mostly from Americans, now try to shame naive tourists with, and the inevitable do-gooder comes along to try & pile on with some silly moralizing. And then to suggest that there's some moral duty to actually compensate for everyone else's failures, as YOU in YOUR infinite wisdom see them, is just ludicrous. Really. It's laughable. And finally, playing that game only encourages business operators to underpay their staff. So congratulations; you're part of the problem. (Maybe you're actually one of these business operators yourself; just shilling here to get patrons to do what you yourself are too cheap to be doing...) Anyway, well done.

If you wanna' tip, then by all means tip. 'Up to you, as it ought to be. But it's got absolutely nothing to do with what anyone else is doing or not doing. And if you're going to do it, then don't come whining to me about Thai culture.

As it was famously once uttered "a powerful mind can come up with at least one hundred ways to justify any position". Continue your spendthrift ways. It is ok by me. It only hurts you, by keeping your heart closed, and maintaining your grinch like qualities.

My experience is as follows, here in Ubon when we eat out my wife insists that no tip is necessary, so if she pays that's what happens.

On several occasions I have paid and left a small, 20-30 baht tip and she has been quite annoyed.

Her attitude is the same when we are in Bangkok and Pattaya visiting our foreign friends, but she does accept the Service Charge element where added.

Personally, if I am out alone, I usually tip 20 baht.

I have asked staff at a

number of restaurants

that have the service

charge included in

the bill if they get any

of it. I have yet to find

one that does split the

service charge

amongst the staff. It is

just another revenue

stream for the owners

. These restaurants

are usually tourist

traps along the beach

front or more upscale.

After finding this out I

avoid these places.

Between the tip not

going to the staff, the

service charge being

included not being

pointed out by the

serving staff, and the

paying the service

charge on the tax as well

as the food portion of the

bill are all galling as far

as I am concerned.

Rule of thumb with tips

is cash placed directly

in hand to the server

goes to the server,

cash left on the tray/bill

folder goes to the tip

box to be split although

at some places

all the money is put into

the tip pool box and split. smile.png

BTW Sorry I had to post this way to make room for the advertisement to the right.

It depends on the establishment. Ones that possess vision, intelligence, and ethics, give the entire service charge to the employees. Keeping it is an act that is beyond ignorant. It is the behavior of a buffalo. I was told by some friends in the hotel industry that on Samui, some hotels keep the fee, some split it, and some give the entire amount to the employees. Guess which ones have the highest morale amongst employees? The Four Seasons hotel was famous for giving the entire service fee to employees. They pooled the money, and divided it, based on seniority, amongst the staff. A cleaning woman got an average of 15,000 baht per month. A waiter, up to 20,000, plus the tip they received at the table, and their salary. Management got 20-30,000 per month in service. Everybody was very happy. People rarely left their jobs there, and there was a very long list of people wanting to work there. And the attitudes of the staff was tremendous. That is what I call vision, good business, understanding, compassion, generosity, and smarts.

Other establishments like the Spa Samui, in Lamai keep the entire amount. The staff get nothing. A crime beyond comprehension.

Yes agree we tip to hand then it's their own money.

There are many different scenarios with this.

I've seen situations where:

- All tips, whether already added to the bill or placed in the waitpersons hand or pocket have to go into a central pot (owners rule) for equal distribution.

- The above situation but 50% goes to the boss or the captain etc., the other 50% divided between serving staff.

- My Thai son worked for a while as a waiter in a 5 star hotel (Bangkok) when he was at uni, all tips (including put direct into waiters hand had to go into a central pot and it was divided equally every month between the serving staff and the chefs and the kitchen staff. Whatever the total was at the end of the month, the GM (from Switzerland) added the same amount to the pot.

My experience is as follows, here in Ubon when we eat out my wife insists that no tip is necessary, so if she pays that's what happens.

On several occasions I have paid and left a small, 20-30 baht tip and she has been quite annoyed.

Her attitude is the same when we are in Bangkok and Pattaya visiting our foreign friends, but she does accept the Service Charge element where added.

Sounds like a great girl. If it isn't her money that she earned she shouldn't say a word about what it is tipped. Did her philosophy about tipping change since she stopped receiving them at whatever bar she was working at?

Sounds like a great girl. If it isn't her money that she earned she shouldn't say a word about what it is tipped. Did her philosophy about tipping change since she stopped receiving them at whatever bar she was working at?

Your reply is indignant, to imply that this gentleman's wife may have been a bargirl. I believe that you are more than a smartarse, but also a smartarse pr*ck.

My wife is ok with me leaving a tip, because I am the man in the family, and it is my decision. Now, if she were the bread winner in the family, things might be different, and I might pay more regard to her desire to save 20 baht. But, in this case, it is I who decide to leave a tip. And she has no say in it. Tipping is not part of her culture, so I would not expect most Thai women to sympathize with the practice. Does that matter? Not one iota. Why? Because I feel it is a kind and proper thing to do. I have received good service, and I am happy to give up a buck to someone who has provided us with good service. I spent a few years when we were first together, explaining alot of these concepts to her. Some she got, others went right over her head. Did I change my behavior because she did not understand something, just to please her? Of course not. Why would I do that? Modifying one's behavior to please someone has to make sense. In this case, it did not, and does not. Over time, she has realized that tipping hard working staff is a kind thing to do, and she enjoys it as much as I do, at this point in time.

Being a cheap charlie wife is no justification for asking your husband not to leave a small tip. It is simply being small minded, and a tightwad. Not attractive qualities in anyone.

FYI my wife never goes into a bar, let alone worked in one.

She finished work as a biochemist at Siriraj Hospital last December and moved back to Ubon to run her business, relieving her Mom's workload.

Just because Pattaya was mentioned one Richard Head makes an assumption, just as others did when I sent money over to "show" at our wedding 2 years ago.

That money is still in my wife's Mahidol Uni Savings account earning a nice 3.25%

So, if any of you are looking for a nice room for rent in Warin Chamrap please let me know, we do daily rentals if we have capacity but most of our customers are long term.

Back to the tipping issue, my wife scrimped and saved every last baht whilst working in order to build her business, no problem for me is she does not tip, here in Ubon nobody seems to expect one anyway.

Edited by The Fat Controller

I know at least at oasi spas, the service charge does not go to the masseuses, only a small fraction of it goes to staff (around 1%), and is split between everyone including receptionists, drivers, gardeners.

Edited by Cheesekraft