No Parking Signs in Thailand

TKI

Hello all,

i am a little bit confused with the no parking signs.

Could you eventually help with a clarification please.

What does this sign exactly mean? Is it

A: "no parking BEFORE the sign" ?

or

B: "no parking AFTER the sign" ?

Thank you very much. Regards, T.

post-247975-0-25913600-1464929876_thumb.

That sign means there is no parking allowed on odd dates of the month. There is a corresponding sign banning parking on even dates. You need to look at the end of the writing.(คี่) means odd. It's (คู่) for even.

If there is a "mark" above the letter - odd, a "mark" below even.

JaiMaii, thank you.

Very curious, never heard about that before. Many thanks for this clarification and for explaining the differences in the writing for odd or even days!

But still, if odd or even, is the parking not allowed BEFORE the sign or AFTER it?

I mean does the sign ban cars from in front of it or from behind of it?

just to assure myself:

in the case of the sign i posted it would mean "no parking allowed on odd days", as for example today is 03.06. the sign would apply for today. Is it?

As far as I understand it is does indeed mean you can't park there today because the 3rd is an odd date. I think you have to look at markings on the kerb to see the zone it applies to but I rarely park in areas where these restrictions apply so I can't be sure.

The odd and even one-side of the road parking is in effect every day in Bangkok, and pertain to the whole street in most cases. They are often strictly enforced, and the fine is 400 Baht, and much more if they use the wheel clamp on your wheel to prevent you from driving off. Normally you can tell which side to park on by the cars already parked there, but sometimes there are quite a few cars parked on the wrong side.

No parking on odd( คี่ ) days and it means the hole stretch of road starting from intersection preceding and ending with intersection after the sign. You can still stop and pick or drop passengers or goods quickly, up to the cop or tesakit being around or not, who have no idea what the sign means sometimes.

Edited by AlQaholic

You can use Google Translate to determine the meaning:

หัมจอดวันคี่

No parking on odd day

It means in the whole street.

Yes, in theory it's meant to improve traffic flow, so that would be best achieved if no one parked on the designated side of the road at least from one junction to the next. Of course if one car parks on the disallowed side, gets its wheels clamped and remains stuck there until a tow truck arrives, traffic flow still has to allow two lanes of cars to squeeze into one lane in order to pass it. And rest assured at least one car will park on the wrong side.

หัมจอดวันคี่

Not if your keyboard doesn't have Thai characters...

Yeah, I know, there's an app for that. Typing Thai characters, I mean.

But that's a lot of trouble. And the Google translation of Asian languages is often laughable, never definitive, and occasionally hazardous.

And to Suradit's: gets its wheels clamped and remains stuck there until a tow truck arrives, traffic flow still has to allow two lanes of cars to squeeze into one lane in order to pass it. And rest assured at least one car will park on the wrong side.

So true, and I'm always amazed at how many cars will park on the legal side of the street, directly across from the booted car...leaving just half a lane, guarantying a traffic snarl.

Edited by impulse

A good tourist/foreigner trap biggrin.png

In Pattaya (south road) these signs existed for long in Thai script only combined with a time of day (11:00h to ?).

Odd days on one side, even days on the other side.

In the meantime they have added English.

Same for the "no left turn on red light" only in Thai.

Just that there usually there is an arrow in red color.

Edited by KhunBENQ

หัมจอดวันคี่

Not if your keyboard doesn't have Thai characters...

Yeah, I know, there's an app for that. Typing Thai characters, I mean.

But that's a lot of trouble. And the Google translation of Asian languages is often laughable, never definitive, and occasionally hazardous.

And to Suradit's: gets its wheels clamped and remains stuck there until a tow truck arrives, traffic flow still has to allow two lanes of cars to squeeze into one lane in order to pass it. And rest assured at least one car will park on the wrong side.

So true, and I'm always amazed at how many cars will park on the legal side of the street, directly across from the booted car...leaving just half a lane, guarantying a traffic snarl.

Google translate app is getting better and better but still hit and miss.

On a side note, if you want to practice your Thai speaking skills I use WhatsApp and enable the microphone. If you know how to spell the word you can speak into your phone and check it back.

I've found this invaluable since I started learning Thai.

The sign actually means 'NO STOPPING' and is not related to 'parking'. DELETED

DELETED aka that was nonsense?

Post #2 says it with a minor addition:

the sign allows stopping to let passengers exit/enter or unloading without walking away from the car.

Do they have any signs in Thailand?

I see only Hotels and Resturang and Go Go bars and I have lived in Phuket 9 Year now and a not drink alcohol or other stimulants.

I am on the road every day as Red and Green light I see but nothing more off public signage.

A ask the owner it`s ok to park for 10 min, And Of course park here.

Then comes a Polic and will have 500 Bath and show he me one sign inside a shop in Patong no parking?

This is Phuket :)

But a have picture off the shop and the Policeman.

หัมจอดวันคี่

No parking on odd day

It means in the whole street.

It means in the whole street.©

what have the articles in the rules of the road about that?

As I know

the applicability of road signs the sign applies after the signs , and to a crossroads/intersection . so whats why if want in whole street not allow parking there are signs after each intersection.
I had a discussion with the Thai police on the topic. In final they take ticket back and say do not do it next time( i guess it part Thai culture not lost face)I also said thank , becouse I respect it.
But still dono any article about "whole street" .
I hope you will help fill this gap in my knowledge?
Best regards Ardokano