Chinese tourist fined for feeding fish, Phuket tour company to face report

snoop1130

Chinese tourist fined for feeding fish, Phuket tour company to face report
Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-249866-0-18451400-1464952742_thumb.

Chinese tourist Zhou Hongzhi (right), from Sichuan, was fined B1,000 for for feeding fish in a protected area at Koh Khai Nok last week. Photo: DMCR

PHUKET: -- The Chinese tourist arrested for feeding fish at Koh Khai Nok, off Phuket’s east coast has been fined B1,000 while the tour company he was travelling will be reported next week, The Phuket News has been told.

Chinese tourist Zhou Hongzhi, from Sichuan, was arrested for feeding fish in a protected area at Koh Khai Nok last week, just one day after the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) announced a crackdown on environmental laws to protect the marine eco-system in the area. (See story here.)

The Phuket Provincial Court handed down the fine to Mr Zhao last Friday (May 27), said Suchart Rattanareangsri, Director of the DMCR’s Conservation Division.

“The judge actually handed down a fine of B2,000 baht, but it was reduced to B1,000 because the Mr Zhaou pleaded guilty,” Mr Suchart told The Phuket News.

Mr Zhou flew back to China the next day, he added.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-fined-for-feeding-fish-phuket-tour-company-to-face-report-57711.php#bWSvr5uxEHiWlHht.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-03

And the last time he comes here no doubt..............

I know the Chinese tourists can be a pain......but the tour companies should explain thr dos and fonts......and are responsible for them in reality.....not speaking Thai and then being charged for the simple deed of feeding fish.........seems harsh.

I know the Chinese tourists can be a pain......but the tour companies should explain thr dos and fonts......and are responsible for them in reality.....not speaking Thai and then being charged for the simple deed of feeding fish.........seems harsh.

So he was not warned?

So he was not warned?

I seriously doubt that the tour companies forewarn people about feeding the fish, especially since they make a habit of either giving bread crumbs to the tourists or selling them to the tourists. At least at Racha this is what I've seen every time out.

So he was not warned?

I seriously doubt that the tour companies forewarn people about feeding the fish, especially since they make a habit of either giving bread crumbs to the tourists or selling them to the tourists. At least at Racha this is what I've seen every time out.

I am out about 3 times a week, and every time everybody on board is warned about not touching, not feeding, etc. And if it does happen people are corrected straight away.

That's about as bad as fining farang tourists 100 baht for not wearing a shirt when Thais without shirts roam the country by the thousands free of any fines. Seems to be very petty. Perhaps a case of Thais flexing their muscles just to show who's boss. Much more fun that putting up a few signs written in Chinese and English telling tourists what is expected of them.