Muhammad Ali, who riveted the world as 'The Greatest,' dies

rooster59

Not sure if you include my comment as negative.

He made the choice to join Nation of Islam and the facts about that organization can't be undone.

Overall, an incredibly positive life story and part of that is that he LEFT the Nation of Islam.

You can love and admire the man without approving of every choice he made at every stage of his life.

If he had been a white guy and he had joined the KKK, would that be off limits or "negative" to mention that?

Of course not. So let's not have a double standard.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

""It's a sad day for life, man. I loved Muhammad Ali, he was my friend. Ali will never die," Don King…."

​Don King…slimeball, crook and conman extraordinaire…. he took all his fighters to the cleaners with his ridiculous deductions from their purses…I can't imagine Ali looked upon him fondly. I'll be surprised if he's invited to the funeral, much less called upon to deliver an eulogy.

Mohammad Ali Clay ... the final step in the journey !!

A journey that was full of achievements, heroism, faith and morality!

An American legendary hero that inspired millions around the word !!

A hero that followed and loved by generations ....

An icon of his time and will remain for all the coming times.. he coined his own branded name in the boxing world!

A man of principle, dignity and honor ...

A man that combined the heroism and morality,,

A faithful self-made hero that adored by millions around the world..

A truly Muslim hero that lived and loved by millions of Americans, Africans, Asians and many others around the word,

I pay to God that may your soul be in peace,, you will remain always in our good memories..

Your truthful speech, your honesty, your modesty, your morality will engrave your name in our minds and hearts Mohammad Ali,

Don't understand why I was just bawling like a baby for 10 minutes.

I'm 9 years younger than Ali so I guess my formative young adult years match his rise to fame.

Nice story about his fight stopping an airport in Indonesia.

Didn't have near these reactions to the singers that died.

Maybe it's about loss of my youth in some kind of crazy way.

RIP dear man...

Not that it matters one iota, but I must have been one of the few who never liked him, or never understood why anyone liked him.

Don't put yourself out...it doesn't matter one bit.

Edited by JHolmesJr

I don't agree with many aspects of his life & His Choices.....

The choices were his - as they should have been - and in the ring he was the Greatest.....

None better, faster, quicker, or smarter......

RIP big man, RIP......

I just hope nobody calls him a genius, he was certainly a good boxer in his day but not a patriotic American, and hardly a modest man, nor a good husband or father. He was a serial adulterer and misogynist. Many of his early views were very racist. Certainly an icon of the 60's who had some good qualities despite his faults.

As a patriotic American, it was his duty to voice his concern, any way he could, about Vietnam and all those idiots in the White House.coffee1.gif

As a human being, he has done more over the past 40 years and demonstrated his kindness and humanity to everyone. More so than all of us in TV combined.

Was he a racist in the 60s? Yep, and why not? Wouldn't you be if you were treated as he and his color were? thumbsup.gif

I will say it again: Rest in Peace, Inch Alla. coffee1.gif

If he had quit the boxing in 75 maybe he would never been sick with Parkinson but he was broke and needed the money. His 1980 match in Vegas against Holmes should never have happened.He was diagnosed with Parkinsons 3 years later.

2016 is a heavy year.

No more suffering. RIP.

If only we could shuffle some Beibers, kanyes or kardashians along that same route.

I wouldn't want to shuffle anybody off before their appointed time

I can can see the merits of a reel of sticky tape, super glue plus a paper bag or three

Ali was no draft dodger. He legitimately believed what was going on in Vietnam was wrong and against his religious beliefs. He was at the top of his game. He could have probably gone into the military and ended up in Special Services and never pick up a rifle, but he felt it was a matter of principle. During his 3 year ban from boxing, he could have made millions -instead he fought his conviction in the courts and he won. He did not run away and was prepared to go to jail if he lost. Had the United States actually listened to him- the war may have ended earlier. Instead- over 50K Americans died in a useless conflict.

Ali was the greatest boxer I ever saw and I date back to when Marciano was fighting. The thing I admire him most for is standing up for a principle when almost everyone was against him. That was his greatest victory.

Rest In Peace. You will always be the Champion.

I lost people to Canada in that era but better to that freezing hell hole of decent health care and politenesswhistling.gif than to a body bag in Nam ... for that stupid mistake of a war.

Sorry veterans ... it wasn't your fault. It was the government's fault.

There was an item on t.v. today about how Ali's manager was actively looking into Canadian asylum for Ali and when Ali was told about that, he got VERY ANGRY, and said, you should know me better, no way, I will accept the consequences of the laws of MY country (paraphrased).

Edited by Jingthing

He was The Greatest..."I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong" (Muhammad Ali)... "A man who is not courageous enough to take risks will never accomplish anything in life." (Muhammad Ali)... "No Viet-Cong ever called me Nigger." (Muhammad Ali) ...RESPECT !!!

Edited by off road pat

I am guessing that the negative posters were not alive during the early sixties when Ali came to the forefront of boxing and his stand against racism. In my early twenties in England I believed he would be killed for speaking out about the horrendous racism in the United States at that time. The white man did not like the uppity coloreds speaking out against them. I thought he was incredibly brave or very stupid. Now we all see he was very brave and refused to bend his knee to the racists. And standing up to being drafted was another brave move. If he wasn't a black man and one that bucked the system he would never have had his boxing license revoked.....they were taking away his livelyhood. Eventually he was the most famous man in the world, and deservedly. In my book he stands right up there alongside Nelson Mandela.....two men who refused to bend and set examples for the rest of. RIP Champ. Great memories of being young.

Great post mate wai2.gif

Yeah, super...tears in my eyes...!!!

I don't like racists myself and Ali certainly was one:

: "We who follow the teachings of Elijah Muhammad don't want to be forced to integrate. Integration is wrong. We don't want to live with the white man"

When taken out of context, I believe this is called "cherry picking an argument" ?

I don't like racists myself and Ali certainly was one:

: "We who follow the teachings of Elijah Muhammad don't want to be forced to integrate. Integration is wrong. We don't want to live with the white man"

When taken out of context, I believe this is called "cherry picking an argument" ?

Nation of Islam ideology isn't defensible.

But in the life story of Ali, that phase of it makes sense.

He was only a man. A great man. But still flaws.

Nobody can make the USA greater than he did in live , The Greatest.

RIP.

Actually, he is great partly because of the fact that he showed the world that USA was maybe not as great as they thought.

wink.png

Nobody can make the USA greater than he did in live , The Greatest.

RIP.

Actually, he is great partly because of the fact that he showed the world that USA was maybe not as great as they thought.

wink.png

It did show you can be a dissenter in the USA and (usually) not get killed for it ... coffee1.gif

I just hope nobody calls him a genius, he was certainly a good boxer in his day but not a patriotic American, and hardly a modest man, nor a good husband or father. He was a serial adulterer and misogynist. Many of his early views were very racist. Certainly an icon of the 60's who had some good qualities despite his faults.

not patriotic? Idiotic nonsense! Because he didn't fight in Vietnam and fought racism

“He who joyfully marches to music rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.”

Albert Einstein