Research about Monopoly in Thailand

Dear, I am Vietnamese. I am doing a case study about monopoly in Thailand. I am having some trouble in finding the accurate information.

1. Can you guys give me 1-2 companies that have monopoly in Thailand. Note that monopoly is a situation that only company dominantly provides a type of product, service.
  2. And, if possible, please introduce me some sites to find information.
  3. One more question, is that Thailand Tobacco company is the only firm that manufacture and distribute tobacco in Thai?

Thank you so much. I'd really appreciate it.

Thailand Tobacco Company that you mention actually refer to themselves as Thailand Tobacco Monopoly... So I guess they are the only player in the game...

You could also take a look at King Power Duty Free - they don't seem to have a lot of competition as far as i am aware.

Are past monopolies of any interest? There was Thaksin's monopoly of the mobile 'phone business, and CAT's monopoly of international Internet connectivity. Neither was a good thing for consumers.

The Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has a monopoly on production of cigarettes here, but not a monopoly on distribution - since 1992 it's been possible to import and distribute cigarettes manufactured outside the Kingdom.

Makro seems to have a monopoly on the bulk cash and carry business in Thailand but they are an international company. Currently owned by CP Group Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makro

http://www.siammakro.co.th/en/index.php

Tru Corp has an effective monopoly on the satellite TV market.

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/home?ln=en

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Corporation

Are past monopolies of any interest? There was Thaksin's monopoly of the mobile 'phone business, and CAT's monopoly of international Internet connectivity. Neither was a good thing for consumers.

The Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has a monopoly on production of cigarettes here, but not a monopoly on distribution - since 1992 it's been possible to import and distribute cigarettes manufactured outside the Kingdom.

Yeah yeah, i also find CAT's monopoly in internet connectivity but it was diminished. But is there any other Thailand's company still maintaining any monopolies in present? In Vietnam, we have a lot, monopoly in electricity, petroleum, lottery,gold import&export, railway.....

Edited by buianhthy1412

Yeah yeah, i also find CAT's monopoly in internet connectivity but it was diminished. But is there any other Thailand's company still maintaining any monopolies in present? In Vietnam, we have a lot, monopoly in electricity, petroleum, lottery,gold import&export, railway.....

That's prompted a few thoughts:

PTT (stated owned) currently has a monopoly in liquified natural gas (LNG). Oil/petrol are not monopolies.

The lottery here is a State monopoly (and the only legal form of gambling).

The railway system is a State monopoly covering track, passenger and freight services.

That's prompted a few thoughts:

PTT (stated owned) currently has a monopoly in liquified natural gas (LNG). Oil/petrol are not monopolies.

The lottery here is a State monopoly (and the only legal form of gambling).

The railway system is a State monopoly covering track, passenger and freight services.

PTT does have an effective monopoly on refining petroleum in Thailand as they own or are major partners through their subsidiaries in all the refineries in Thailand. They do not have a monopoly on retail sales of gasoline or diesel though all that is sold retail is purchased from a PTT subsidiary. Also all ethylene used for production of plastics is produced by PTT subsidiaries. All upstream natural gas transportation is by PTT.

TH

PTT does have an effective monopoly on refining petroleum in Thailand as they own or are major partners through their subsidiaries in all the refineries in Thailand. They do not have a monopoly on retail sales of gasoline or diesel though all that is sold retail is purchased from a PTT subsidiary. Also all ethylene used for production of plastics is produced by PTT subsidiaries. All upstream natural gas transportation is by PTT.

I believe that Bangchak Refinery, Sri Racha Refinery (ExxonMobil) and Rayong Purifier are independent of PTT, so whilst PTT has a substantial majority of the market, they don't quite fall into the "monopoly" category for petroleum refining.

Another monopoly is the provision of motorcycle taxi services in Bangkok. Recent attempts by GrabBike and UberMoto to open the market have been declared illegal, to the detriment of the consumer.

I can't post a direct link because of forum restrictions, but if you Google "govt gets cold feet on the digital economy" you'll find what you need to get started.

Beer is a duopoly: ThaiBev (Chang, Heineken) and Boon Rawd (Singha, Leo) together account for 96% of the Thai beer market. They are protected from foreign competition by import tariffs.

And are protected from local competition by the ludicrously high minimum annual brew amount required to get a brewing licence.

This one ?

Special Thai Monopoly edition, including:

-Mercedes car playing piece so you never need to go to jail

-"Do you know who my father is?" card which can be played any time so that you don't have to follow any of the rules

-Community Chest card: "Corruption tax - collect 30% of each player's money"

and many more amazing Thailand special features :)

Edited by fletchsmile

Wow thank you guys so much. I decided to do about CAT's monopoly on international call services in the past. Can you give me its negative effects on consumers (it's best to attach with a source)? I haven't found enough trustful supporting details in English.

Edited by buianhthy1412

I decided to do about CAT's monopoly on international call services in the past.

Being pedantic, CAT didn't provide all international call services. Calls to neighbouring countries (e.g. Malaysia, Laos) were covered by TOT. It's only for other countries that CAT was the carried.

Nearly all monopolies here have their genesis in...

1.) State enterprises

2.) Royal Warrants of Appointment

3.) Market dominance, through any means necessary

All of these are/have been privatized.

Regional/provincial monopolies exist as well; most of these are controlled by what are euphemistically referred to as "influential people" (Mafia).

SCG (Siam Cement Group) has an interesting history.

I believe that Bangchak Refinery, Sri Racha Refinery (ExxonMobil) and Rayong Purifier are independent of PTT, so whilst PTT has a substantial majority of the market, they don't quite fall into the "monopoly" category for petroleum refining.

You are correct about Esso in Sri Racha. It's located on the Thai Oil site and I forgot about it. We did lots of work for Thai Oil, could never break FW's hold on Esso. Though Bangchak is publicly owned, it gets it crude from PTT through a partnership MOM, I believe Rayong Purifier is out of the refinery business since PTT broke the contract to supply feedstock.

Agree, PTT not quite a full monopoly in refinery, but really close. ?

TH