Tourists: Call 1567 if you think your hotel might collapse

webfact

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I'll presume that the fun is being made of the telephone hot-line and not the hotel collapse itself, I have met persons who survived this one in Khorat where the eventual death toll was almost 140 persons:

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/15/world/death-toll-rises-to-88-in-thailand-hotel-collapse.html

Edited by JLCrab

Ok soooo, If you think your hotel is about to collapse just call the hotel busters!

They have a special number for every structure that you may suspect to collapse, for example if you think a bridge is about to collapse just call 1396!

If you think the restaurant that you are in will collapse just call 1523!

If the tour boat you'r in is about to sink just call 4104!

If you are in a government building or a school and you think it will collapse just call 3103!

And if you think an Island is about to sink into the ocean just call 6407!

Is there no end to the stupidity? We hear again and again how govt. officials guffaws these things and it never seem to stop.

What kind of thinking is involved? How do one come up with a thing like this and not being a patient in a mental hospital?

Hello? Yeah I think my hotel is about to collapse....

Where is it?

ahmmm....it's the Oriental.....

And why do you think it will collapse?

Ohhh....just a feeling, come quickly, it may happen any time now....

Do you have any engineering degree to support your claim?

Naaahh, they didn't mention you need a degree, I'm a barber....I think it will fall now very soon....

Ok we will send someone at once.....

Edited by AlQaholic

A multiple level unfinished hotel stands in the Khon Kaen city it has been like it for several years, I have asked why has it not been finished and the answer I get is that the wrong size steel was used the steel is to small, how can this happen, the engineers should have done inspections a different stages when it was being built and before any concrete was poured.

AMAZING THAILAND

You like many people are making a massive mistake. You read the word Engineer and believe they are engineers. I can only think of 3 people in Thailand, there are less than 10, who are professionally registered engineers.

The term engineer is too liberally used. Most of these so called engineers would be sacked if they worked in 7-11

Maybe that's why they became engineers.

I am impressed. How long did it take you to learn how to spell engineer or did you just copy and paste?

Tourists who suspect buildings are at risk have been urged to call 1567

How are tourists being advised, Thai newspapers facepalm.gif

Maybe someone is going around the hotels handing out information leaflets sad.png

For the future why not have the airlines hand out leaflets with TM6 arrival/departure cards, advising tourists to program 1567 into their mobiles.....just in case.

That should boost the tourist industry!

Didn't the PM recently ask Thais to 'use their brains and intellect'................sadly failed in this case!

Tourists who suspect buildings are at risk have been urged to call 1567

How are tourists being advised, Thai newspapers facepalm.gif

Maybe someone is going around the hotels handing out information leaflets sad.png

For the future why not have the airlines hand out leaflets with TM6 arrival/departure cards, advising tourists to program 1567 into their mobiles.....just in case.

That should boost the tourist industry!

Didn't the PM recently ask Thais to 'use their brains and intellect'................sadly failed in this case!

I bet you the bs came from that cobkarn woman.

IMHO the really sad part is that most Thai ministries are headed by people who have greased their way to the top positions for the spoils and nothing more.

Ultimately meaning that the heads of these ministries are severely lacking in aligned knowledge and past experience and worldly insight.

And they are mostly incapable of see the whole big picture let alone capable of developing future strategies with the right focus. And they are not interested anyway.

What's also severely lacking is policies, planned activities with actual implementation to prevent these tragedies before they happen, and automatically punish government agencies and their seniors and their on the ground officers when it is revealed nothing has been checked and there is no plan to check anything anyway.

I wonder which officials came up with this idea and why nobody at a senior level (who should by the basic rules of proper management) be responsible to sign off this matter before any release to the public. The mind boggles.

Edited by scorecard

So many facetious comments when this is obviously the first of the beloved PM's stringent safety measures for tourists. Now, after every serious accident or incident involving tourists, expect a new hotline to be set up, as per the earlier post. Keep up the good work Mr Prayut.

wink.png

So many facetious comments when this is obviously the first of the beloved PM's stringent safety measures for tourists. Now, after every serious accident or incident involving tourists, expect a new hotline to be set up, as per the earlier post. Keep up the good work Mr Prayut.

wink.png

Who said this is specifically his idea?

Who said he endorsed it?

The dead woman has been named as Miss Kachakorn Thammajak, 36. Relatives have now been informed.

I'm afraid that these news are a little late for Miss Kachakorn. May she rest in peace.wai2.gif

Why do always people have to die that certain changes will be made?

How would an ordinary tourist know if the building is close to collapse? Another weird one.

Aren't we the optimist?

The dead woman has been named as Miss Kachakorn Thammajak, 36. Relatives have now been informed.

I'm afraid that these news are a little late for Miss Kachakorn. May she rest in peace.wai2.gif

How would an ordinary tourist know if the building is close to collapse? Another weird one.

Aren't we the optimist?

IMHO the really sad part is that most Thai ministries are headed by people who have greased their way to the top positions for the spoils and nothing more.

Ultimately meaning that the heads of these ministries are severely lacking in aligned knowledge and past experience and worldly insight.

And they are mostly incapable of see the whole big picture let alone capable of developing future strategies with the right focus. And they are not interested anyway.

What's also severely lacking is policies, planned activities with actual implementation to prevent these tragedies before they happen, and automatically punish government agencies and their seniors and their on the ground officers when it is revealed nothing has been checked and there is no plan to check anything anyway.

I wonder which officials came up with this idea and why nobody at a senior level (who should by the basic rules of proper management) be responsible to sign off this matter before any release to the public. The mind boggles.

Hurts my sense of natural justice, but they need us to cut them a break. They're only children, trying to learn how to co-exist with the grown-ups and finding out they're not very good at it.

Give them time. Another 200 or so years ought to be enough to get at least a few things right...

W

None of you negative people live in thailand.

What is so wrong about reporting a suspect hotel?

If you see large cracks in the walls or hear creaking noises, why not be allowed to report it?

Maybe someone will report the hotel in jontiem, on the beach, just around the corner from 1 agogo, where nearly 90 people died years back in a fire.

It was rebuilt.

Completely guttered by fire but cosmetically rebuilt.

I bet if you check in there tonight, the fire exits will still all be locked.

What's wrong with reporting things?

It's time Thai Visa got rid of forum members who critisise thailand, but don't live here.

Let them go elsewhere.

wink.png

Who said this is specifically his idea?

Who said he endorsed it?

Who really cares? Its an out-of-box original Thai solution. Oh by the way where are the flowers in the photo and the customary "I"m Sorry" that will be 5,000 baht for the hospital.

I work with quite a few excellent Thai engineers who do structural designs for our offshore platforms. So they are available in Thailand. Electrical guys, too.

I get a kick out of the expats who are pleased as punch that there are no stinking regulations keeping them from building whatever they want on their property. I got into some heated discussions when I asked them to please not invite me or my loved ones to their home if they hadn't gotten proper structural or electrical expertise.

Here's the result- a hotel collapsed. It's not that the engineering expertise isn't available here in Thailand. It is. But it costs money and sets limits that some folks seem to think don't apply to them. You can probably flout all the local rules you want, but you can't get away from the rules of physics.

The phone number? Good idea- if a little odd. I've stayed at several hotels with wall, floor and column cracks that indicated structural problems, (not to mention wiring nightmares) and kept my mouth shut and just never went back. If I can make the call anonymously, maybe dropping a dime can save some lives.

"Hello, is this the hotel collapse hotel"

"Yes it is, how can I help you"

"Well, I am in my hotel and I am sure its about to collapse"

"I see, and why do you think that?"

"Well, because the walls are cracking around me and the building is creaking"

"Hmm, you could be right, give me your name and hotel address, we will send a structural engineer to check it, he can be there a week on Thursday"

"Great, thank you"

Talk about over-reaction.

"Look honey. The Thai government says that if we think our hotel might collapse to call 1567."

"One minute sugar. I think were going to re-book our vacation to somewhere else."