19 Die As Bus Plunges Into Ravine

george

17 die as bus plunges into ravine

KANCHANABURI: -- Seventeen persons died Saturday--the driver of an air-conditioned tour bus and 16 female workers--and many were injured Saturday when their bus plunged into a ravine in this western resort province, police said.

The accident occurred when 46 workers, mainly women, from bedding firm in Petchaburi, 190km southwest of Bangkok, were travelling west and heading for this province bordering Myanmar for a holiday, police said.

Police said the driver tried to overtake a van when the bus was running down a curved hill and unable to brake his car because the brake was malfunction at that time. The bus went off the road, into a ravine, where it was caught on a tree. Police said had the vehicle's fall not be stopped by the tree, there would have been no surviors.

Medical emergency workers and ambulances rushed to the scene of the accident and carried the injured survivors to a Kanchanaburi hospital, police said.

--TNA 2006-11-11

Update:

Bus crash in Kanchanaburi kills 19

KANCHANABURI: -- A bus packed with factory workers lost its brakes and crashed in Kanchanaburi province on Saturday, killing at least 19 people and injuring almost two dozen others, police said.

The bus was transporting 44 passengers who worked for the World Bedding company, from Bangkok, to a seminar in the province when the brakes failed and the bus crashed into a tree before flipping over, police said.

The driver was among the dead. Twenty-two passengers were injured.

-- The Nation 2006-11-11

I cannot count the amount of times I have seen packed buses which are driving live maniacs. Overtaking into oncoming traffic, overtaking on blin corners, and over taking on the brows of hill or even all three at once.

What I can't understand is how no one in the bus says anything.

This is something I think I never will understand. As if I was on one of those buses I would simply tell the driver to eigher drive safely or ask it to stop and let me off.

Thai bus accident leaves 19 dead

Bangkok - A weekend outing turned deadly Saturday when a bus packed with factory workers crashed off the road, killing 19 people and injuring another 31, police said.

Survivors said the accident occurred about noon Saturday when the bus driver passed a van and then lost control, swerving off the road and down a ravine, said Kanchanaburi Police Lieutenant Colonel Suphulerk Chaiphumsakul. The bus was on the road to Sai Yok, Kachanaburi, 160km west of Bangkok.

"Three people died at the scene of the accident, while another 16 died in hispital," said Suphulerk.

Eighteen of the dead were women and the one male victim was believed to be the bus driver. The women, all garment workers for World Trading Limited, were on a weekend outing to Sai Yok. The company, based in Phetchburi, had hired two buses to take about 100 employees to Sai Yok waterfall for an overnight excursion, survivors said.

- Independent Online

This is crazy, horrible!!! But.... , these kind of accidents happen in the farang-world as well guys!

Doesn't stop me from saying though that Thai drivers are one of the world's most assholic ones. Egoistic $%#^#%##^^#%. I see it everyday!

This will happen again and again! As we say backhome: a donkey will never hurt itself three times on the same rock! Well here they do! Be careful!

I wish the families and loved ones of the deceased strength and wisdom during this terrible time!

RIP