Patong shopping mall seals off areas as structural pillars crumble

webfact

Patong shopping mall seals off areas as structural pillars crumble
The Phuket News

1465447593_1-org.jpg
The inspection follows reports of damage to pillars in the underground section at the Jungceylon shopping mall.

PHUKET: -- Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup and Kathu District Chief Sayan Chaichanawong yesterday (June 8) led a team of engineers to inspect the structural integrity of the supporting pillars in the car park and underground shopping area at Patong's main shopping mall, Jungceylon.

The inspection followed anonymous tip-offs, said Patong Municipality Chief Engineer Surapon Buakaew. “I received information from people who do not want to be named about it,” he told The Phuket News yesterday.

However, by the time his team of engineers from Patong Municipality’s Public Works Division arrived yesterday, Jungceylon management had already closed off the area, with signs saying, “Under Renovation. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.”

“I told them to keep the area closed and ensure the structure was reinforced with supports. We sent a report of the damage to the Patong Mayor, Ms Chalermluck,” Mr Surapon said.

However, the team of municipal engineers has yet to confirm the cause and extent of the damage.

Kathu District Sayan said that his office

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-shopping-mall-seals-off-areas-as-structural-pillars-crumble-57786.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-09

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The re-bar at the right of the photo is already bending and that ain't good. The entire pillar could collapse at any time now which could lead to a domino effect.

Edited by Pimay1

The re-bar at the right of the photo is already bending and that ain't good. The entire pillar could collapse at any time now which could lead to a domino effect.

Exactly correct - domino effect is many/all the posts are of the same construction standard.

Exactly correct - domino effect is many/all the posts are of the same construction standard.

Is anyone surprised ?

I've felt vibrations on all floors when I've been walking around, same goes for when I've been sitting in the food hall in Central.

It's passed my mind many times.

Better hope there is not the slightest earthquake. They should shut the building down for a full 'real' engineering review, but then that takes a lot of time, and money, so probably won't happen. Much easier to plaster over it and hope for the best "Thai Style". I'm in the QA/QC business, and I remember when they were building a large tourist attraction here on the West Coast of Phuket many years ago, and I dropped by to see how it was going (thinking there could be a chance that they needed an expat inspector type) and was appalled by the state of the welded structure... I mentioned it to one of the farang contractors (who was doing a great job on his work) and he said that "Yes, the Thai inspector from Bangkok said the same thing, but he had a fatal accident on his way back to Bangkok, and they haven't sent anybody since". Needless to say,I didn't seek any work opportunities there... true story.

Hmmm thats me and Jung Ceylon done with for the foreseeable future. Going to be a bit of a blow to Patong if the building is condemned, which just from the photo, it should be. Makes the hair on the back of my neck go up thinking about all the times I have parked in the basement parking with my family.

The photo shows some interesting issues. There appears to be a section of the column void of concrete and its not a typical compression failure. There is also very visible evidence of over hydration by the numerous cavities left after curing. The reo has no signs of rust but the concrete has also not bonded to it as you would expect.

The green and pink colour tinge on the surface and beyond which I assume is not the lighting as it is patchy.

Looks to me like a failure caused by a casting void due to over hydration, possibly at the start of a new batch delivery, whereby the load was only supported by the reinforcing until a lateral force, probably thermal movement, resulted in the axial displacement.

In other words, a crap batch of over watered concrete.

Edited by Reigntax

Another hotline for shopping malls ?

If you believe the shopping mall your in is about to collapse call 1558.

On a more serious note,where does it stop.

I for one wouldn't be using the place of I lived there.

Edited by stoneyboy

The photo shows some interesting issues. There appears to be a section of the column void of concrete and its not a typical compression failure. There is also very visible evidence of over hydration by the numerous cavities left after curing. The reo has no signs of rust but the concrete has also not bonded to it as you would expect.

The green and pink colour tinge on the surface and beyond which I assume is not the lighting as it is patchy.

Looks to me like a failure caused by a casting void due to over hydration, possibly at the start of a new batch delivery, whereby the load was only supported by the reinforcing until a lateral force, probably thermal movement, resulted in the axial displacement.

In other words, a crap batch of over watered concrete.

Wonder what happened to the concrete test piece, should be taken from every delivery.