termite mounds

Looking around for some soil to pot up some plants I decided to attack one of the termite mounds as a source. It was only then that I decided to google it and came up with: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3174111/

Seems to be a fairly efficient fertiliser, and mixed with sand and cow manure the result looks ok, waiting for results.

Anybody out there had experience with this?

Learning all the time...

I'm convinced that dirt from a termite mound is very fertile. A few years ago we had an irrigation pond dug. Beside that pond was a termite mound about 6 feet high and 12 feet diameter. My wife had the excavator knock down the mound and scatter the dirt over her garden space. The vegetables grew very well. Much better than before the termite mound dirt was spread.

Termites eat vast quantities of cellulose-containing products (like wood) and then poop it out in much smaller quantities. What this means for you is that all of the micronutrients that were trapped in this vast amount of plant material before is now being produced in a small, ready-to-use pellet. The termite mound is probably full of termite frass (poo) and is therefore very rich for this reason.

Archived