how to protect yourself (and others) from soi dogs.

Just started to ride bikes again. Love riding my bicycle. My biggest fear was being run over by a truck. Luckily I have found a lot of routes to avoid the major roadways. However, a lot of dogs are very aggressively running after me and fellow bikers. Pepper spray is illegal here. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

• Like 2

If a Smith & Wesson beats four of a kind, I'm sure it will also beat soi dogs.

Seriously, as an earlier poster suggested, a squirt bottle using either ammonia or citronella, both readily available, will keep them at bay.

Boil a few chilis in water, and charge the bottle with that, also very effective.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 1

They only chase you but never bite and if you stop they will stop to and loose interest. I find it that thai dogs seems to be very afraid of long sticks for some reason. If a dog is bothering me ill just pick up a stick and raise it high and make some sounds and they will walk away. You should never run though. If a dog bites, grab their ears firmly and twist then as hard as you can. They will let go and be submissive. Hitting a agressive ticked dog wont help.

I admit. Dogs can be pretty scary in thailand. Especially stray dogs in packs on dark nights or early mornings.

• Like 1

I carry a cheap bike pump that fits to the down tube. I can reach down and pull it out quickly and use like a club if the dogs get too close. I'v whacked a few dogs in the head with it. Works well.

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Rob13
  • Like 2