Interesting fine at gas stations

The Big Mango

I wonder where they'd put that sign on my scooter?

I think the aeroplane thing is more from the perspective of other passenger and someone yabbering on in the seat next to you for the duration of the flight.

Phone batteries (like Tesla car batteries) have been known to explode, but it's very rare and very much doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with tx/rx of devices.

For cars, I don't know, maybe a leaky HT lead or something? But filling stations have their own safety measures and flashback arrestors etc. Once again I think it's about consideration of other people and safe driving in and out of the place rather than being in zombie mode when on a phone and generally just being an annoying Twant.

Not entirely related, but I had a full size Chevy Silverado pick up truck in Bangkok, twin 35 gallon tanks, when they started pumping it was hilarious to watch them look under the truck to see if the Gas was spilling out, they had never put over 220 liters in one vehicle before - just for a laughs, I'd wait until both tanks were empty before going for a fill, the vehicle was so high up, the little sweeties had to get up on their tippy toes to clean the windows - eye candy to be seen by all for sure. tongue.png

Edited by TunnelRat69

They asked my GF to turn off her phone at the Shell gasoline station near the monument circle in Thalang. When I pointed out the their colleague who was sitting 2 meters away on a chair was playing on his phone the staff gave us a really confused look and just asked my GF again to turn off her phone. That it was the order from the boss. Of course she didn't ask her colleague to turn his phone off.

They spilled gasoline on the tank more than once and if that had reached the hot engine or exhaust, it could have easily ignited. No concern for that of course.

Some gasoline stations have actually cellphone towers in the large pillars that show the prices. And those cellphone towers emit vastly more radiation than a smartphone.

100k fine or 1 year jail of course is just hilarious.

It seems many cannot simply obey posted rules, but have to make an argument about them presumably because they think they know better.

Has there not been posted reports of fires caused in gas stations and it being attributed to a phone?

It seems many love to blindly follow rules without thinking or are scared to voice their opinion and try to argue with reason.

And yes, if I think I know better then I'll voice that opinion combined with arguments and if the counterparty can bring some convincing arguments, then I'll change my own opinion. Pretty sure that's a better way to enlightenment than what is commonly practiced.

"Some tabloid said it!" or "I've heard before" or "It's a posted rule!" are pretty weak arguments though.

There have been posts about fires at gas stations, attributed to a phone but all have been debunked. There's not a single proven incident in the entire history of gasoline stations and mobile phones where the combination of both caused a fire.

In fact, there have been many experiments to ingite gasoline via mobile phone usage and none were successful.

I suggest you read up on the topic.

Do you also believe all the reports about ghosts?

They asked my GF to turn off her phone at the Shell gasoline station near the monument circle in Thalang. When I pointed out the their colleague who was sitting 2 meters away on a chair was playing on his phone the staff gave us a really confused look and just asked my GF again to turn off her phone. That it was the order from the boss. Of course she didn't ask her colleague to turn his phone off.

They spilled gasoline on the tank more than once and if that had reached the hot engine or exhaust, it could have easily ignited. No concern for that of course.

Some gasoline stations have actually cellphone towers in the large pillars that show the prices. And those cellphone towers emit vastly more radiation than a smartphone.

It seems many cannot simply obey posted rules, but have to make an argument about them presumably because they think they know better.

Has there not been posted reports of fires caused in gas stations and it being attributed to a phone?

It seems many love to blindly follow rules without thinking or are scared to voice their opinion and try to argue with reason.

And yes, if I think I know better then I'll voice that opinion combined with arguments and if the counterparty can bring some convincing arguments, then I'll change my own opinion. Pretty sure that's a better way to enlightenment than what is commonly practiced.

"Some tabloid said it!" or "I've heard before" or "It's a posted rule!" are pretty weak arguments though.

There have been posts about fires at gas stations, attributed to a phone but all have been debunked. There's not a single proven incident in the entire history of gasoline stations and mobile phones where the combination of both caused a fire.

In fact, there have been many experiments to ingite gasoline via mobile phone usage and none were successful.

I agree with you it is not dangerous at all. But still that is IMO no reason to pick a fight with a gas station attendent.

I stopped at a Susco station on Samui this week. While one of the staff was filling the tank, two others were sitting between pumps using their mobile phones.

I told them this was not good and in fact dangerous. To be fare they did look "sheepish" so I suspect they new they were doing something wrong.

I started coming around to agree with the ban on cell phone use at the gas pump the last time I was in a line of cars waiting for a lady to finish her 10 minute phone conversation before she paid up and drove away from the pump.

(Edit: Had the same thing waiting in a grocery store line- lady stops in the middle of writing a check to answer her cell phone, and finishes her conversation before she gets back to filling out the check. Everyone in line just had to wait. That's bad enough, but who in the hell uses checks any more to pay for groceries??? That was Texas, BTW- not Thailand)

Just like I agree with airlines keeping people from using their cell phones while taxiing. Not for the safety, but for the wonderful peace and quiet.

Edited by impulse

No, but that has nothing to do with it.

When I am waiting for my flight to take off, I switch off my phone, fasten my seat belt and remain seated though.

I agree with you it is not dangerous at all. But still that is IMO no reason to pick a fight with a gas station attendent.

Agreed, I would also not pick a fight and never did. Just pointed out that they themselves are not following their own rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't this scare start when a motorcycle being refuelled caught fire and the suspected cause was a spark at the point where a power bank was plugged into a phone in a compartment under the seat?