Have there been recent changes to the retirement Visa?

I was talking to a guy who said he has just returned from Penang and where he consulted with the infamous “ Jim “ of Jim’s place who has a long history of successfully helping people with visas. Also Penang my perception is that it is regarded as being one of the easy destinations to get a Visa of any kind.

But apparently even though this person had the required 800,000 baht in the bank Jim sounded negative and told him that things have changed recently and now in addition to the 800,000 baht bank deposit Thai immigration also wants a letter from your own government to confirm that you are a pensioner.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Are you referencing to the extension of stay at a Thai immigration office or to Non O visa from Penang?

A bit unclear to me.

No such change for extension of stay in Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Are you referencing to the extension of stay at a Thai immigration office or to Non O visa from Penang?

A bit unclear to me.

------------------------

There always are and have been local requirements for a retirement/visa extension.

Each immigration office may emphasize certain requirements they feel are important....such as time you must have the required funds in your bank account.....or written poof from your home country on your retirement pension .

You have to learn to be patient, and meet the local requirements.

This Is Thailand, after all.

In Thailand type A people do not do well.

You must learn to adapt.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

such as time you must have the required funds in your bank account.....or written poof from your home country on your retirement pension .

Fully agree with the "or" as it conforms to the written rules.

1) 800000 Baht in account or

2) 65000 Baht per month in income (also not saying pension) or

3) a combination of money in account plus yearly income making up for 800'000.

Only in case 3) a bank statement and income statement is necessary.

I think we would read a lot in the forum if an "AND" requirement as in the OP springs to life.

And I would have to pack the bags.

• Like 1

such as time you must have the required funds in your bank account.....or written poof from your home country on your retirement pension .

I think we would read a lot in the forum if an "AND" requirement as in the OP springs to life.

" I think we would read a lot in the forum if an "AND" requirement as in the OP springs to life. "

this is what the person I was talking to insisted that Jim told him has happened ?he kept telling Jim but I've had the 800,000 in the bank for the required period and that's when Jim replied saying " yes I know but things are changing ". He was quite shocked at that response and so was I when I heard this story.

I'm thinking this agent would certainly know if there was something happening.

maybe the only way to deal with this is to get Jim himself to clarify it if possible?

Edited by Asiantravel

Did your friend then go to the Consulate and apply or get clarification?

From my recent experience the Penang agents are being asked to satisfy extra conditions which are not applied to personal applicants.

• Like 1

Did your friend then go to the Consulate and apply or get clarification?

From my recent experience the Penang agents are being asked to satisfy extra conditions which are not applied to personal applicants.

I am unable to answer that and I didn't ask. But your comment regarding your recent experience is interesting particularly regarding Penang and

Phnom Penh because I got the clear impression it was the other way round i.e. that it is personal applicants who are given a hard time and that some consulates/embassies prefer applications are made using agents?

Edited by Asiantravel

I got a new visa in Penang last month. What I was told by my fixer was that a proof of funds/character reference was required from my embassy. I got back to them and said that the embassy could not provide a character reference for someone they do not know (or charge the earth for) and they have no idea about my pension status (I am 53).

Just in case I was able to get a broad brush reference from the consul of another country which (if actually produced in Penang) seemed to do the job. The other Consul has known me for 12 years so had no qualms about producing the letter. it seems to be a local requirement as there is no mention of it on the Thai Embassy website in KL.

The fixer was also under the (dated) impression that I had to be over 55 to obtain the visa- I pointed out that I have been on retirement visas for 4 years and it faded away as an issue. (Yes-4 years as I have recently changed from one country's passport to another)

Edited by Psimbo

I was on a retirement visa for years. I thought that the B800000 in the bank was required to prove you could support yourself. I have never heard of needing proof of further income.

i have done my retirement extensions the past 4yrs.useing a fixed savings acc.and i think i have been asked twice as your fixed acc.is never touched what are you living on. so i have always got my every day current account book with me,which shows funds transfered from A to thailand. OK.

• Like 1

Hi wai.gif

Last year when I applied for my one year Non-immigration O visa based on retirement in DK, I brought the same paper as the year before, incl. bankbook with 800.000 and statment from the bank, but this time the wanted a annual tax return, so ( as she said ) could see that I was a senior citizen. I dont now if it is a new rule, but I now that embassy and immigration have virios rules, even embassy make their own rules, so my point is, if you want the visa just smile.png and give them what the want. wai.gif

" I think we would read a lot in the forum if an "AND" requirement as in the OP springs to life. "

this is what the person I was talking to insisted that Jim told him has happened ?he kept telling Jim but I've had the 800,000 in the bank for the required period and that's when Jim replied saying " yes I know but things are changing ". He was quite shocked at that response and so was I when I heard this story.

maybe the only way to deal with this is to get Jim himself to clarify it if possible?

Our dear Mr.Jim is wrong. The requirements have not changed.

• Like 1

A bit unclear to me.

------------------------

There always are and have been local requirements for a retirement/visa extension.

Each immigration office may emphasize certain requirements they feel are important....such as time you must have the required funds in your bank account.....or written poof from your home country on your retirement pension .

You have to learn to be patient, and meet the local requirements.

This Is Thailand, after all.

In Thailand type A people do not do well.

You must learn to adapt.

Your 5th sentence says it all, different IOs have their own rules, it is not in the Thai genes to

make things easier when they can be made harder.

----------------------------------

Yes, I agree.

And I do know that since at least some time in 2014 the "combination" possibility at CW requires a 3 month seasoning period on the bank account funds.

This is a "change"....but it has been in effect since 2014 at least.

Which is why I wanted to point out that "changes" do occur....and we need to adapt to changes.

And regarding Penang....I myself was told by the Penang consulate that a 2nd or 3rd tourist visa required a Malaysian I.D. card as proof of being a Malaysian resident...before hey would give a foreigner that 2nd tourist visa.

As far as I know, they no longer say that....but about a year ago they did.

And I do know that since at least some time in 2014 the "combination" possibility at CW requires a 3 month seasoning period on the bank account funds.

This is a "change"....but it has been in effect since 2014 at least.

Yes that's a change that has been introduced without being reflected in the written rules.

Quite likely to close a loophole for cheap abuse (2 day loan).

"now in addition to the 800,000 baht bank deposit Thai immigration also wants a letter from your own government to confirm that you are a pensioner".

If you going the route of having the 800,000 Baht in the bank....you don't heed to be a pensioner, or drawing a pension........so why would they require a letter.

You can be on the extension from the age of 50....can't think of any country where you get a pension at 50?

• Like 1

Hi wai.gif

Last year when I applied for my one year Non-immigration O visa based on retirement in DK, I brought the same paper as the year before, incl. bankbook with 800.000 and statment from the bank, but this time the wanted a annual tax return, so ( as she said ) could see that I was a senior citizen. I dont now if it is a new rule, but I now that embassy and immigration have virios rules, even embassy make their own rules, so my point is, if you want the visa just smile.png and give them what the want. wai.gif

If the lady at the embassy sees your passport it will have your date of birth in it. That should be sufficient to establish if you are a senior citizen or not.

As far as I know an annual tax return does not prove how old you are, just that you pay tax. However it may be different in your country.

I got a new visa in Penang last month. What I was told by my fixer was that a proof of funds/character reference was required from my embassy. I got back to them and said that the embassy could not provide a character reference for someone they do not know (or charge the earth for) and they have no idea about my pension status (I am 53).

Just in case I was able to get a broad brush reference from the consul of another country which (if actually produced in Penang) seemed to do the job. The other Consul has known me for 12 years so had no qualms about producing the letter. it seems to be a local requirement as there is no mention of it on the Thai Embassy website in KL.

The fixer was also under the (dated) impression that I had to be over 55 to obtain the visa- I pointed out that I have been on retirement visas for 4 years and it faded away as an issue. (Yes-4 years as I have recently changed from one country's passport to another)

Edit: forgot to say I also had to provide a copy of my lease and owner's ID.

The only rule that apply in Thailand's immigration is that officers can ask what they want...and I hope you can comply.

My only advice by experience:

If you cannot do it, find a good excuse to come back later to find another officer.. or the same with a better hair day.

Works!

The only rule that apply in Thailand's immigration is that officers can ask what they want...and I hope you can comply. My only advice by experience: If you cannot do it, find a good excuse to come back later to find another officer.. or the same with a better hair day. Works!

"now in addition to the 800,000 baht bank deposit Thai immigration also wants a letter from your own government to confirm that you are a pensioner".

If you going the route of having the 800,000 Baht in the bank....you don't heed to be a pensioner, or drawing a pension........so why would they require a letter.

You can be on the extension from the age of 50....can't think of any country where you get a pension at 50?

Two different things. You only need to be over 50 for an extension of stay, but some Embassies/Consulates will only issue a non 'O' visa if the person is over state retirement age.

Edited by elviajero

No. The only way to get it confirmed is at the consulate.