Gen Prawit hints at curbs on UDD’s anti-cheating centres

Jonathan Fairfield

Gen Prawit hints at curbs on UDD’s anti-cheating centres

post-137452-0-11283700-1465815367_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said Monday that he would find ways to stop the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) from expanding its network of anti-cheating centres.

The UDD planned to hold a news conference on June 19 to announce its plan to expand its centres against possible cheating in the August 8 referendum across the country. The red-shirt movement also planned to petition the United Nations regional office and foreign embassies in Thailand to send representatives to observe the referendum.

General Prawit said that there is no need for the UDD or any political groups to set up centres to monitor the referendum in order to prevent possible cheating because there are two already two agencies responsible for monitoring the referendum namely the Election Commission and the government sector’s Anti-Corruption Commission.’

He also dismissed any suggestion of bringing in foreign observers to observe the referendum, saying that referendum is an internal affairs of Thailand.

Earlier, a spokesperson of the National Council for Peace and Order, Colonel Piyapong Klinpant, said that the military junta has been closely watching the activities of the UDD which, he alleged, might have hidden ulterior agenda.

He warned that if the activities were found to be in breach of the NCPO’s orders, UDD core members might face legal actions.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-13

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"General Prawit said that there is no need for the UDD or any political groups to set up centres to monitor the referendum in order to prevent possible cheating because there are two already two agencies responsible for monitoring the referendum namely the Election Commission and the government sector’s Anti-Corruption Commission.’"

Both of which are lapdogs of a government widely believed to be illegal.

"He also dismissed any suggestion of bringing in foreign observers to observe the referendum, saying that referendum is an internal affairs of Thailand."

We can understand how strongly the dumpy general feels about referenda being internal matters for countries, by the fact that this government was happy to send a team of observers and hangers-on on a junket and shopping trip observation mission to Edinburgh in September 2014. Not so squeamish then I notice - he must have had a change of heart recently.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Prayuth says it;s OK, Prawit says it isn't OK.

Kind of makes one wonder who's running the country doesn't it?

The dumpy general or the grumpy general.

Not for the first time. You'd think that the army would teach officers how to get their story straight, but apparently not.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

To be fair General Prawit , the Thailand referendum isn't a election being held in a democratic country , under the present climate that you find yourself in and helped create and being mindful of the of the popular belief that Junta's have always something to hide , one would have thought that you would take this great opportunity to show the international community you have nothing to hide by allowing in as many U N observers as the UDD wants , and lets be fair general unless you do , there will always be a certain amount of skepticism about how honest any election you hold will be.........................................coffee1.gif .

Can one of the junta supporters please step in and explain why banning foreign observers is a good thing?

Not expecting an answer of course, but miracles do sometime happen...coffee1.gif

Can't think of an election or referendum anywhere in the world where international observers were banned and the result didn't favour the ruling power.

Indeed. Observers probably wouldn't find anything because we've been careful

But why take the risk?

W

Does anyone actually believe the outcome will be different from what the military wants it to be? To many eyes......not easy to ensure the correct result

Misdirection, that's what they want you to think, that it's complicated. xyz million ballot papers, xyz different voting locations, xyz different counting stations, xyz staff doing the counting. If there is fraud, it will be in the downstream places, where there is less complexity.

They want you to concentrate on the electorate and the process of ticking in the boxes because that's where the head-spinning numbers are.

What they don't want you to concentrate on is what happens to the the voting machines or what happens downstream from the counting rooms. There are various possibilities, would be easier to spot the weak spots with a process map.

That's why they don't want observers, they don't care about the voting stations, little chance for widespread falsification there that won't eventually come out, but they don't want observers at the points where small groups of people summarise the counted votes. They can't pick and choose where and what the foreign observers observe, so they ban them outright. The only reason for banning foreign observers is that they know what's going to happen.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Can one of the junta supporters please step in and explain why banning foreign observers is a good thing?

Not expecting an answer of course, but miracles do sometime happen...coffee1.gif

Not a junta supporter but I hope you don't mind I answer this question.

Foreign observers seem to be somewhat confused about Thai election games. So no need for them.

"An Asian election monitoring group has hailed Thailand's nationwide election as final results were tallied for being generally peaceful, orderly and allowing the public to express their voice. But, theAsian Network for Free Elections also cited some flaws in the polls and warned the Thai military not to intervene in politics. "

http://www.voanews.com/content/asian-observer-group-commends-thai-election-cites-minor-flaws--125003034/141777.html

"Having served as a short-term international observer for the general election in Thailand earlier this month on July 3, I unfortunately became somewhat of an expert in the dark arts of vote buying.

As one of 60 observers from the Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL) deployed around the country, I spent eight days in Chonburi province in the lead-up to election day. Located just a little east of Bangkok, Chonburi is home to Kamnan Poh, the notorious godfather who once declared, “I used to have enemies in Chonburi, but they all died.” "

http://asiafoundation.org/2011/07/13/dark-reality-to-vote-buying-in-thailand/

UUD will have no access to monitor anything so this is complete nonsense

What they might be able to do is intimidate people into voting a certain way

At the end of the day they have no right mandate or authority to do anything except spew out garbage under the payroll and direction of their convicted criminal master

someone should shut them up once and for all, they are an unelected unwanted or needed disruptive divisive element in Thai society

Does anyone actually believe the outcome will be different from what the military wants it to be? To many eyes......not easy to ensure the correct result

Misdirection, that's what they want you to think, that it's complicated. xyz million ballot papers, xyz different voting locations, xyz different counting stations, xyz staff doing the counting. If there is fraud, it will be in the downstream places, where there is less complexity.

They want you to concentrate on the electorate and the process of ticking in the boxes because that's where the head-spinning numbers are.

What they don't want you to concentrate on is what happens to the the voting machines or what happens downstream from the counting rooms. There are various possibilities, would be easier to spot the weak spots with a process map.

That's why they don't want observers, they don't care about the voting stations, little chance for widespread falsification there that won't eventually come out, but they don't want observers at the points where small groups of people summarise the counted votes. They can't pick and choose where and what the foreign observers observe, so they ban them outright. The only reason for banning foreign observers is that they know what's going to happen.

W

Although stated as fact and true, it's actually only your subjective opinion. And that of a few other posters here of course.

My opinion is that foreign observers don't see the wheeling and dealing before the referendum, neither do they understand the threat of having a violent organisation which is against the charter close by and intimidating in their presence. There are still 'red village' were everyone is a red shirt as declared by the UDD. Free choice, my foot.

At the end of the day they have no right mandate or authority to do anything except spew out garbage under the payroll and direction of their convicted criminal master

someone should shut them up once and for all, they are an unelected unwanted or needed disruptive divisive element in Thai society

" someone should shut them up once and for all, they are an unelected unwanted or needed disruptive divisive element in Thai society"

Are you talking about the junta?

W

Although stated as fact and true, it's actually only your subjective opinion. And that of a few other posters here of course.

My opinion is that foreign observers don't see the wheeling and dealing before the referendum, neither do they understand the threat of having a violent organisation which is against the charter close by and intimidating in their presence. There are still 'red village' were everyone is a red shirt as declared by the UDD. Free choice, my foot.

" My opinion is that foreign observers don't see the wheeling and dealing before the referendum, neither do they understand the threat of having a violent organisation which is against the charter close by and intimidating in their presence."

No, they are complete idiots of course.

" There are still 'red village' were everyone is a red shirt as declared by the UDD. Free choice, my foot."

OK, I'm sure you can back this statement up with proof?

Not a junta supporter but I hope you don't mind I answer this question.

Foreign observers seem to be somewhat confused about Thai election games. So no need for them.

"An Asian election monitoring group has hailed Thailand's nationwide election as final results were tallied for being generally peaceful, orderly and allowing the public to express their voice. But, theAsian Network for Free Elections also cited some flaws in the polls and warned the Thai military not to intervene in politics. "

http://www.voanews.com/content/asian-observer-group-commends-thai-election-cites-minor-flaws--125003034/141777.html

"Having served as a short-term international observer for the general election in Thailand earlier this month on July 3, I unfortunately became somewhat of an expert in the dark arts of vote buying.

As one of 60 observers from the Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL) deployed around the country, I spent eight days in Chonburi province in the lead-up to election day. Located just a little east of Bangkok, Chonburi is home to Kamnan Poh, the notorious godfather who once declared, “I used to have enemies in Chonburi, but they all died.” "

http://asiafoundation.org/2011/07/13/dark-reality-to-vote-buying-in-thailand/

" Not a junta supporter....."

555555! Good one!

If that is indeed the opinion of Thai society, why any need for panic if nobody is interested in them? Why should they forcibly be silenced? Why not just let them piss in the wind and then fade away, unnoticed and uncared about?

Surely that would be a feather in the cap of the current democracy enablers, to shrug and simply let them get on with it as they are a busted flush anyway?

W

" My opinion is that foreign observers don't see the wheeling and dealing before the referendum, neither do they understand the threat of having a violent organisation which is against the charter close by and intimidating in their presence."

No, they are complete idiots of course.

" There are still 'red village' were everyone is a red shirt as declared by the UDD. Free choice, my foot."

OK, I'm sure you can back this statement up with proof?

No proof, but I think the villages are still red.

As for 'all are red', of course, UDD and various red shirt leaders told us so. Dr. weng learned all about freedom of choice when he was in Vietnam in the 70sh. A visible political arm and the invisible other arm for control.

Anyway this is about why there's no need for either foreign or UDD observers.

Edited by rubl

If that is indeed the opinion of Thai society, why any need for panic if nobody is interested in them? Why should they forcibly be silenced? Why not just let them piss in the wind and then fade away, unnoticed and uncared about?

Surely that would be a feather in the cap of the current democracy enablers, to shrug and simply let them get on with it as they are a busted flush anyway?

You gave good reason why not to let UDD have observers. The junta obviously wants to avoid them to lose face.

they have guns bombs and grenades and have used them on a regular basis, democracy UUD style

Prayuth says it;s OK, Prawit says it isn't OK.

Kind of makes one wonder who's running the country doesn't it?

The dumpy general or the grumpy general.

Not for the first time. You'd think that the army would teach officers how to get their story straight, but apparently not.

Winnie

Sadly its the 2 systems that the good general has set up that bear watching.

I won't bother mentioning the "hidden agendas" of the junta and everything they have done and plan to put in place to secure their position of power.

I say the world is truly a stage and this junta act is front and centre in the international spotlights now and for a long time to come.

Thailand is weak in bargaining power and international influence.

Thailand's ride down the toilet follows the plumbing that leads to China.

The Royalists must be ?.............. what needs to be said that isn't as plain as day to the rest of the world?...................egocentrism and idiocy?

What a fall and disgrace for what was a once proud and industrious people.

Beggar nation now!

One can only offer pity to the general populace.

Edited by streetsweeper

.... someone should shut them up once and for all, they are an unelected unwanted or needed disruptive divisive element in Thai society

Well actually they were elected. Military stood by while your/their friends in yellow brought the city to a halt. When the temperature was hot enough the military removed the elected government on behalf of royals and yellow-shirts.

"General Prawit said that there is no need for the UDD or any political groups to set up centres to monitor the referendum in order to prevent possible cheating because there are two already two agencies responsible for monitoring the referendum namely the Election Commission and the government sectors Anti-Corruption Commission."

Both of which are lapdogs of a government widely believed to be illegal.

"He also dismissed any suggestion of bringing in foreign observers to observe the referendum, saying that referendum is an internal affairs of Thailand."

We can understand how strongly the dumpy general feels about referenda being internal matters for countries, by the fact that this government was happy to send a team of observers and hangers-on on a junket and shopping trip observation mission to Edinburgh in September 2014. Not so squeamish then I notice - he must have had a change of heart recently.

Winnie

Didn't they send someone to the Philippines recently as well? That was just after the PM asked what other country would allow such a thing.