Hello

suresh6066

I think you may be able to change some at the airport when you arrive.

I certain you can find plenty of banks in Udon that will exchange your dollars to baht. As far as I know there are no other choices than banks there.

Everyone has different views. Mine are:

1. Don't bring 'money', especially on your first trip. Accept your naievity and act accordingly - you'll be a hardened old-hand by your third visit! Theft loss for travelers outweighs any benefit you might get on exchange rates or low conversion costs. In-room safes are not omnipresent and are only to be trusted in recognised larger hotels (staff thieved my money in a hotel safe in Pattaya a decade ago*.
  2. By all means bring a couple of hundred dollars for the first day or so. If in a real jam you can usually find someone who'll give you baht for $
  3. Bring a home country ATM and/or debit card. ATM machines for Thai banks generally (for now anyway) accept other bank cards, including foreign and are on every street corner and in all domestic airports and landside (only? dunno) at Bangkok airport.
  4. Don't worry about saving minor amounts on costs/fees. 150 baht ($5) for most ATM withdrawals -so what unless you are taking money out on a daily basis. You are on holiday and the differences don't amount to a hill of beans. Many will advise how to save a few dollars here and there - often the same guys that will then sit on a bar stool all afternoon and then find following AM that they have blown all their money on beer and honey***.
  5. Despite that, do find a local expat bar soon after arrival and get further local guidance. If you have time to listen and seek out, I'm sure you will be told where to avoid that $5 ATM fee!

*Fellow travellers are equally risky to Thai opportunist and cheaper hotel staff. Looking on the bright side, pick-pocketing and mugging is quite rare throughout Thailand and, If you are staying full-time in Isaan you have already cut your risk down to 10% of what it is in most resort and capital areas of Thailand!

***Nothing wrong with that ,except for consistency of purpose/action!

If you have an ATM card from your country you can put that card in any ATM machine and get baht. Will usually charge 180 baht per transaction plus whatever fee your home bank charges for using a foreign ATM. When I vacationed here I use to take 20,000 baht out at a time to save transaction fees.

If you have an ATM card from your country you can put that card in any ATM machine and get baht. Will usually charge 180 baht per transaction plus whatever fee your home bank charges for using a foreign ATM. When I vacationed here I use to take 20,000 baht out at a time to save transaction fees.

I used AEON, 150 baht

Just another word of caution, watch out for dodgy Farangs, when I first came to Thailand it wasn't Thai's trying to get my Money it was crooked Farangs, there are plenty of dodgy Farangs in Thailand who would have no problem cheating, lying and scamming to get your money.

Don't drop your guard just because they are not Thai's, be extra cautious.

Of course not all are like that, but be aware that some are.

Edited by Broken Record

I used AEON, 150 baht

Must have been awhile ago as they are now at 180.

Just another word of caution, watch out for dodgy Farangs, when I first came to Thailand it wasn't Thai's trying to get my Money it was crooked Farangs, there are plenty of dodgy Farangs in Thailand who would have no problem cheating, lying and scamming to get your money.

Don't drop your guard just because they are not Thai's, be extra cautious.

Of course not all are like that, but be aware that some are.

For Sure

I used AEON, 150 baht

about a week ago, I remember when free last year Edited by Ireland32

I used AEON, 150 baht

about a week ago, I remember when free
maybe had a promotion week or something

I used AEON, 150 baht

Still 150 last week.