Windows 10 again

What a disaster I was happy with windows 10, till today

received an update this morning and after restarting the

computer I realized it looked different, all the shortcuts

I had on my desktop were gone, all my documents had

disappeared all movies vanished virtually every thing.

The computer would not allow me to delete the latest

update I checked with anti virus no problem at all so it

took me about 3 hours to get it back where I was before

As you can guess I managed to get it running again

Has anybody else had this problem? Will it come back

again after the next update? I am sick of this can I go back

to windows 8 ? what is involved ?

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

How long is it ago that you "upgraded" to Win 10 ?

If it’s been less than a month since you upgraded to Windows 10, you can go back to your previous version of Windows by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and selecting either Go back to Windows 8.1. This won't affect your personal files, but it will remove any apps you installed after the upgrade to Windows 10

Look here for options after the 30 days. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-downgrade-windows-10-after-month-3631059/

Edit: Here a tip on how to extend the 30 days (can't be used if the 30 days have already passed)

http://www.pagestart.com/win10extrb08141501.html

Edited by MJCM

Well I have my windows upgrade set to automatic

never had any probs before this is the first time

ever, thanks for your advice I have managed after

hours to get back on line I tried system restore but

no luck it would not even allow me to restore the system

but I managed to get around it

The update needs to be downloaded prior to start of install so internet would not have anything to do with it. I am also set to automatic but checked this morning and it was being held until computer not in use as required a restart to complete. So started the install manually. The install time would be your computer/hard drive speeds.

The update needs to be downloaded prior to start of install so internet would not have anything to do with it. I am also set to automatic but checked this morning and it was being held until computer not in use as required a restart to complete. So started the install manually. The install time would be your computer/hard drive speeds.

Ok I agree with you but why did it wipe out all my files ?

I am installing that update on 2 pc's at the moment. I will let you guys know what happens.

edit1: One PC (the slowest one) has installed the updates and everything looks oke. So all files are still there.

edit2: 2nd PC is done and everything looking oke

Edited by MJCM

That is the question (which I can not answer). It should not have obviously. But do recall it said had detected a security issue on my computer which needed to be closed so perhaps not everybody got exactly the same update.

That is the question (which I can not answer). It should not have obviously. But do recall it said had detected a security issue on my computer which needed to be closed so perhaps not everybody got exactly the same update.

Maybe Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is to blame (as it was also listed as an Update), can you please check the C:\Windows\Debug\mrt.log ?

Should look something like this

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v5.36, May 2016 (build 5.36.12600.0)
Started On Sat Jun 11 15:44:06 2016

Engine: 1.1.12706.0
Signatures: 1.219.58.0
Heartbeat Sucessful
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Sat Jun 11 15:44:11 2016

Return code: 0 (0x0)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v5.37, June 2016 (build 5.37.12704.0)
Started On Wed Jun 15 15:08:40 2016

Engine: 1.1.12805.0
Signatures: 1.221.539.0

Results Summary:
----------------
No infection found.
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Wed Jun 15 15:11:25 2016

Return code: 0 (0x0)

Edited by MJCM

I just finished installing the 3 updates on 2 Lenovo laptops....both updated fine. 1 of the 3 updates is the monthly malicious software scanner from MS so it takes a while to run that scan before moving on and installing the remaining two updates.

post-55970-0-37811800-1465981892_thumb.j

When u say it wiped out your files are you referring to the actual files (as seen in explorer), or links to files - like your 'most recents' list ? I would be very surprised if it deleted files, then again MJCM may be correct re: malicious software removal

Edited by Aussie69

When u say it wiped out your files are you referring to the actual files (as seen in explorer), or links to files - like your 'most recents' list ?

Every file I had on my comp, every picture, every movie and every short cut I had on my desktop

Just to confirm, are you saying the pictures, files, movies you had linked on your desktop are gone, or just the links on you desktop pointing to your pictures/files/movies are gone?

Over the years on previous versions of Windows I've had links/icons on the desktop just disappear for some reason but the files they linked to (i.e., program, movies, pictures) were still in their folders (undamaged, not deleted, etc) and I just had to reestablish the desktop links/icons which didn't take long.

why do you guys bother with this microsoft crap?

have you not got better things to do with your life but to sort out some multi - corporations short comings?

computers are supposed to make your life easier...

Been using "microsoft crap" (still do) since I started using computers back in the 80's. Works fine for me. As usual, it operator error.

have you not got better things to do with your life but to sort out some multi - corporations short comings?

Been using "microsoft crap" (still do) since I started using computers back in the 80's. Works fine for me. As usual, it operator error.

so did i. my first ms was win 3.1 - windows for workgroups. came on 7 floppies.

i networked a timber yard and a commercial construction company using 'code', we were running #386 dx 40 and #486 ibm hybrids back then.

i have been all the places win has been! operator error? good morning, mate.

i do a lot better now.

so did i. my first ms was win 3.1 - windows for workgroups. came on 7 floppies.

i networked a timber yard and a commercial construction company using 'code', we were running #386 dx 40 and #486 ibm hybrids back then.

i have been all the places win has been! operator error? good morning, mate.

i do a lot better now.

I must be a better operator....

No issues after all these years.

Not going to change anytime soon.

Just a thought, and I'm quite prepared to be shot down in flames for poking my nose in.

Has Windows 10 created a new user for you and your old data files, films etc are all still there but under your old user name?

Just a thought, and I'm quite prepared to be shot down in flames for poking my nose in.

Has Windows 10 created a new user for you and your old data files, films etc are all still there but under your old user name?

Good one, but I think Post #14 answers that

<snip> Have you done a full search of C: for a filename you remember? <snip>

Edited by MJCM

I installed that update this morning and all went fine - nothing changed at all that I can see. Update ran about 5-10 minutes, shutdown, came back up to finish in about 3-4 minutes.

My update took about hours and I can't

blame the internet it is fast here

Sorry to hear of your "bad luck." And that's what it was. But I had something similar on my own PC at school. Damn thing already had all the September, April, etc updates ( some of them a new installation ,or almost..)

Unfortunately,. did the thing hang, no CPU activity in the middle of installing updates. Knowing that I have all backed up and a Macrium rescue CD, I did it. Switched the btchi off, did a restart and it started where it stopped downloading the updates.

When I went to my lesson to the second floor a notebook decided to make an update, but i had some "back ups" for another lesson.

Then when I came home and switched my PC on, also " update time". I believe that we're not the only ones and so many updates are looking for problems.

And they happen all around the world. I'll switch my son's PC on and see what's happening. I guess just anpther back up.

Please try Macrium, the free version is much better for me than the paid Acronis I used before. Create an emergency boot disc and you can only laugh about such things.

Keep smiling, life's too short.

post-158336-0-32699200-1466001474_thumb.

I've just switched my son's PC of, checked the update status and found out that it's the same thingy. Updates are running, so when he comes back from work his PC is running.

I'm glad that I've just made a Macrium full back up last night.

Please be warned, it happens when you switch the thingy off.

Cheers-

When u say it wiped out your files are you referring to the actual files (as seen in explorer), or links to files - like your 'most recents' list ?

Every file I had on my comp, every picture, every movie and every short cut I had on my desktop

But that doesn't say that they don't exist anymore. What about a restore? Have you backed it up on an external???

I bought a new i7 laptop (Asus) 2 months ago with Win10 Home edition installed. It seems most of the reports I've read (like the OP) have to do with systems that were upgraded from an earlier version of Windows. Pain in the ass that it may be, maybe a clean install is the ticket?

The new machine also pushed me into the world of UEFI, GPT, and the stuff involving that little FAT32 partition Win10 creates, and Windows 'locking' the partition table. Aomei Partition Assistant is great tool to help deal with these changes. Another guess at the reported upgrade problems: could Win10 be stumbling with UEFI/GPT conversions?

Macrium Reflect is great! My C: partition is 60Gb, 25Gb unused. My backup is app. 20Gb using default compression and takes less than 10 minutes.