Using VPN to Speedup Your Internet International Speed

Pib

openvpn tcp slowdown is due to heavier throttle from Thai ISP. Not from protocol.

tcp can be throttled much easier than UDP.

TCP is slower than UDP due to the different protocol...a more complicated data frame structure/additional error checking with TCP. It's repeatedly talked about in every website I visited on the subject...such as the three below just for example:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/TCP_vs_UDP

http://www.skullbox.net/tcpudp.php

https://www.expressvpn.com/what-is-vpn/protocols/openvpn

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

openvpn tcp slowdown is due to heavier throttle from Thai ISP. Not from protocol.

tcp can be throttled much easier than UDP.

TCP is slower than UDP due to the different protocol...a more complicated data frame structure/additional error checking with TCP. It's repeatedly talked about in every website I visited on the subject...such as the three below just for example:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/TCP_vs_UDP

http://www.skullbox.net/tcpudp.php

https://www.expressvpn.com/what-is-vpn/protocols/openvpn

It is not 10 times slower I assure you.

In my tests with openvpn singapore (via 3BB), I get lower speed with tcp but not 2 times or 5 times or 10. More like 10 percent lower.

Ran a couple more OpenVPN-UDP and OpenVPN-TCP speed tests between 9:10pm and 9:15pm tonight. Results below.

OpenVPN connection to PureVPN Singapore server and running Testmy.net Download Manual 25MB file size to Testmy.net Singapore speedtest server.

UDP: 22.8Mb

TCP: 13.4MB

OpenVPN connection to PureVPN Los Angeles server and running Testmy.net Download Manual 25MB file size to Testmy.net Los Angeles speedtest server.

UDP: 8.3Mb

TCP: 2.5Mb

Just got off of a "Live Chat" with PureVPN. Truly a frustrating waste of my time. Was told:

"That was fraud order. Our verification team did this."

and
"Our payment processor generated as fraud order that is why your account is refunded."
I have no doubt those are correct facts, i.e. that is what they did, but I of course I couldn't get any explanation WHY it was classified as fraud. My credit history is *spotless,* and ironically the $59.99 charge appeared in my online VISA statement today.
I was directed to reorder the VPN package again. A bunch of fields on the payment screen were filled in with NA and 0000000000, and IIRC correctly from the first time, those were for my billing address. However, this time when I click on them I got no prompt for what goes there. I inquired in the online chat what to put in those fields, and was ignored. Optimistically I filled in my VISA card info on the bottom and submitted it. The charge was rejected.
In that point in the chat, I was told "You may need to contact gate2shop or you may email our billing department so they will quickly assist you."
me: "And, how do I contact them?"
I had e-mailed that address when I first got the cancellation/refund notice eight hours ago. Apparently "quickly" assisting me does not fall into that period.
post-33251-0-39416700-1467225924_thumb.j

I had a similar problem with my VPN and Gate2Shop payment method last year when I tried to renew my service.

It took quite a bit of work between my VPN provider and the payment processor to work it out, but in the end, I was able to.

I don't remember exactly all these months later, but it may have had to do with my VPN provider having a Thailand location for me, but my payment card was NOT a Thai card, and that seemed to screw up their approval process.

Sounds kinda like my first credit card order with AliExpress for a battery. The order was initially approved and the charge had already hit my credit card account as a pending transaction, but within 24 hours AliExpress cancelled the order saying I need to send them some copy of docs (like my ID card, copy of past credit card statement, etc) to proof/satisfy them I was really who I say I was. Doing some googling and looking at their website some more I saw that what happened to me was not uncommon when my "mailing address of the order" did not match the address on my credit card account. OK, after the googling and seeing plenty of other people had to do this on the first order with AliExpress when their credit card address didn't match the ordering mailing/shipping address I emailed AliExpress a copy of my Hawaii driver's license and last credit card statement with some key identifying info blacked out, that made them happy, I got an email saying I could reorder using that card since I had accomplished the ID validation for "that particular card." I reordered, the ordered processed, and a few weeks later I got the tablet battery I had ordered. I haven't ordered since but I assume I would need to use that same validated card or I would end up going through the same validation process for the new card used.

When I paid for my PureVPN subscription, I always used PayPal. In fact I did this twice. First time I cancelled after two days because I just could't get their "new" Windows app to work for OpenVPN on my Lenovo laptops. When I submitted the cancellation request they tried hard in reply emails to keep me as a customer....like give us anther chance with out tech support, etc., but the replies were not of the tone they were delaying/were going to be hard to get a refund from them. I told them no on the additional tech support as I had already used their tech support in multiple chats working the problem. They then processed the refund without further resistance, told me they hope I consider coming back as a customer, and I had the refund to PayPal and onward to my PayPal source of payment which was a credit card within 24 hours. There was no delay in the refund fully processing.

I then did some more testing of their service by getting a short term (good for 3 days) free account which you could get last month when they were having their birthday promotion. I tried their "old" Windows app and it worked fine on my Lenovo laptops. Setting up manual Windows VPN connections worked without issue, it was just when using their new app I couldn't it to work with OpenVPN. So, in figuring that out I reordered a subscription, paid via PayPal again, and it processed no problem just as the first order did. One funny thing did happen, when paying for the subscription the "second" time via my PureVPN account I could not log onto PayPal...first order no problem...second order I couldn't. I use Chrome as my primary browser and had used it to pay the first time and was using it again in trying to pay the second time. I got PureVPN on a chat...told them my issue...they said try another browser, I tried IE and now I could log onto PayPal via Pure's invoice system. Strange in how Chrome worked fine the first time with PayPal but wouldn't the second time. And just to repeat this was when using PayPal to pay via Pure's online invoice system. I have no problem in logging onto PayPal form Ebay or just PayPal directly. But I've had other issues with some websites/online financial accounts with "certain" browsers such as Chrome...almost always when I try another browsers like IE it works...and the main reason I continue to have IE as my alternate browser is it provides the least/fewest problems in getting certain websites to "fully" work. Seems many websites still ensure their system works 100% with IE but don't always make it 100% with other browsers, but that will change over time as more websites convert to HTML5 which is much easier for all browsers to properly work with.

But I'm thinking the problem wpcoe has hit is Pure "or Visa/Mastercard" concerned it's a fraudulent transaction due to some mismatch in addresses between the card's registered address and the address being setup on the Pure account....and if the order was done via a VPN connection which means the person making the order is trying to hid their true location then that can inject more concern for a fraudulent transaction. I've had similar things happen over the last 15 years or so with some credit card online orders and I was still in the States then.

If you haven't tried paying again yet, give payment via PayPal a try assuming you have a PayPal account. But take note that setups up an automatic repayment when the subcription renewal time comes up...you would just need to tell PureVPN in advance you are not going to renew so they could cancel the auto renewal on their end. Or, just cancel the auto payment within PayPal which I also did when I cancelled the first time. Not really an issue....just wanted to point that out if paying via PayPal. Not sure if it works the same way if paying directly via credit card.

Just some more speedtest results using PureVPN and various VPN protocols with my True DOCSIS 15mb plan from Bangkok. Tests run from 8:40am to 8:48am from Bangkok to PureVPN Singapore VPN servers. I "only" made Singapore VPN connections using various VPN protocols and then used Testmy.net Download Manual 25MB file size tests to their Singapore, LA, and London speed test servers. Basically, make a VPN connection at Singapore under different VPN protocols and then do speedtest to servers on different parts of Earth....let the Singapore VPN server be the middle man in during the internet work to reach out to the world. Generally, the horse race ended with a rank order of PPTP 1st, OpenVPN-UDP second, L2TP third, and OpenVPN-TCP a distance fourth. Your results may vary.

Test To: PPTP L2TP OpenVPN-UDP OpenVPN-TCP

Singapore 25.1Mb 23.5Mb 23.7Mb 6.9Mb

Los Angeles 18.1 16.8 18.8 5.3

London 21.2 18.7 15.9 6.1

Regarding my scheduled install of AIS Fibre 50/10 tomorrow/Friday morning. AIS still hasn't contacted me to cancel...saying Whoops No Can Do...Sorry (maybe they are waiting until tomorrow to do that). tongue.png I'll keep my fingers crossed the installation proceeds and if it does I've give some speed test results sometime between Friday evening thru Sunday if the creek don't rise. With above results and other results in this thread I have some references to buck the AIS performance against.

"Wouldn't it be funny that you cancelled the PureVPN subscription within the refund period but your slow speed was just a simple setting in the App."

Indeed. smile.png I honestly don't remember if it was set to TCP or UDP. I know I saw the settings, but I'm not sure if I changed anything. And support didn't suggest anything like that either.

I did my speedtest on 3 different Androids, they were all just as slow with the VPN connection.

I guess we'll see tomorrow???? what kind of speeds you get.

I hope it was as simple as a setting since they are still running a buy one get one promotion.

Thank you for taking an interestsmile.png

"Wouldn't it be funny that you cancelled the PureVPN subscription within the refund period but your slow speed was just a simple setting in the App."

Indeed. smile.png I honestly don't remember if it was set to TCP or UDP. I know I saw the settings, but I'm not sure if I changed anything. And support didn't suggest anything like that either.

I did my speedtest on 3 different Androids, they were all just as slow with the VPN connection.

I hope it was as simple as a setting since they are still running a buy one get one promotion.

Why don't you uninstall the app...and then download/install it again to see what the default setting is: TCP or UDP. You don't need a PureVPN account just to install it...and you are still able to go into the settings as far as I know.

Maybe the default was UDP...maybe TCP....I just can't be sure since it been weeks since I installed the app and all the testing on my Android and Windows machines I've done. So many variations in settings, testing of different protocols, etc., I've done...much of it has become a blur now as to what I did or didn't try.

I may have one Android device which I rarely use I haven't installed the app on yet. I just may install it and see what it defaults to, UDP or TCP....as mentioned I'm just unsure. But I am 100% positive that using TCP on my Android or Windows machines is a lot slower than using UDP for whatever reason. Your results may vary.

I just made a speedtest with openvpn-udp (3bb 50/10 vdsl)

MyCloud> ./speedtest-cli --server=1883

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from DigitalOcean (139.59.240.x)...
Hosted by Telin (Singapore) [6.25 km]:
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 16.44 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 6.49 Mbit/s
Testing with openvpn-tcp
Testing from DigitalOcean (139.59.240.x)...
Hosted by Telin (Singapore) [6.25 km]:
Download: 10.84 Mbit/s
Upload: 8.37 Mbit/s
NO VPN (Direct)
Testing from TT&T (14.207.212.x)...
Hosted by Telin (Singapore) [1431.92 km]:
Download: 44.77 Mbit/s
Upload: 9.15 Mbit/s
It seems 3BB is throttling vpn to singapore again at 2Mbyte/sec (16mbit) for single connections. But speedtest.net servers are not throttled / limited to give higher speed result.
Here is real file download speed from digitalocean, singapore:
Resolving speedtest-sgp1.digitalocean.com... 128.199.90.252, 2400:6180:0:d0::31:6001
Connecting to speedtest-sgp1.digitalocean.com|128.199.90.252|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104857600 (100M) [text/plain]
Saving to: '/dev/null'
100%[==========================================================================================================================================>] 104,857,600 2.02MB/s in 50s
2016-06-30 08:38:19 (2.00 MB/s) - '/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]
So it seems tcp openvpn is throttled more than openvpn udp per ISP choices. Back in my home country, difference is 1-2 mbit/s between udp and tcp.
What makes me sick is the way they cheat speedtest by selectively whitelisting it's test servers ports / urls.
Visit http://speedtest-sgp1.digitalocean.com and download 100M test files when testing your speed against singapore or any other country for real speedtest.

Why don't you uninstall the app...and then download/install it again to see what the default setting is: TCP or UDP. You don't need a PureVPN account just to install it...and you are still able to go into the settings as far as I know.

Maybe the default was UDP...maybe TCP....I just can't be sure since it been weeks since I installed the app and all the testing on my Android and Windows machines I've done. So many variations in settings, testing of different protocols, etc., I've done...much of it has become a blur now as to what I did or didn't try.

I may have one Android device which I rarely use I haven't installed the app on yet. I just may install it and see what it defaults to, UDP or TCP....as mentioned I'm just unsure. But I am 100% positive that using TCP on my Android or Windows machines is a lot slower than using UDP for whatever reason. Your results may vary.

OK...I installed on the PureVPN app on my Android Samusng S4. And in order to get to the setting you must first logon to your PureVPN account....so unless you have an account you can't get to the setting to check if the app defaults to UDP or TCP. OK, I log onto my account...check the settings...the default is UDP. See I told you I just wasn't sure as it had been weeks since I initially installed the app on other Android machines.

I now want to do some speedtests. I first try Singapore but just can't get an IP address issued...it would make the initial connection but never issue an IP address. Maybe I'll check later by instead of using my home True connection I try the connection via DTAC 3G. Maybe it just a True issue. So, I tried Kuala Lumpar and U.S. connection instead....I can make those connections.

IMPORTANT NOTE: even though I had checked my PureVPN app setting before making the connection to confirm it was set to UDP, on my "first" actual connection I noticed for a half a second while making the connection a message appeared saying making a TCP connection. After making the connection I checked my PureVPN setting again and see it had switched from UDP to TCP. I ran the speedtest using TCP, then changed the setting to UDP, reconnected, it made a UDP connection and I ran that test. And when then moving on to doing the UDP/TCP test to the U.S. it always made the type of connection I told it too, that is, either UDP or TCP. I'm just wonder if on the first "actual" connection you make after installing the app and even though it's settings say it's going to use a UDP connection, it might instead make a TCP connection for whatever reason. But after first use it will make whatever connection you tell it to do. Or maybe it was just a glitch that happened to me....if so, maybe the same glitch happened to touch and he had just been making a TCP connection each time. So, be sure to watch the message as it connects and after it connects go into the settings to ensure you got whatever connection, UDP or TCP, you really wanted.

Below are the results for testing UDP and TCP....for the Kualu Lumpar UDP/TCP connection I tested to the Testmy.net Singapore server. For the U.S. UDP/TCP connection I tested to the Testmy.net Dallas Texas server. I used the Download Manaul 25MB file size for all test. Tests run around 10:45am

Kuala Lumpar

UDP - 9.0Mb

TCP - 4.5Mb (seems similar to my other tests where TCP is just a lot slower)

U.S.

UDP - 8.1Mb

TCP - 1.0Mb (really slow...saw that yesterday in another test I posted when testing UDP/TCP to the U.S.)

So it seems tcp openvpn is throttled more than openvpn udp per ISP choices. Back in my home country, difference is 1-2 mbit/s between udp and tcp.
What makes me sick is the way they cheat speedtest by selectively whitelisting it's test servers ports / urls.
Visit http://speedtest-sgp1.digitalocean.com and download 100M test files when testing your speed against singapore or any other country for real speedtest.

Maybe it's just more of a distance thing...the longer the distance between you and the testing location the more transmission errors occur and with TCP's method of ensuring no transmission errors occur there is just more back and forth "send again" requests which slows things down.

Seems in my tests the further I test from Bangkok the slower TCP gets. Can't say where your tests from and to in the home country were, but say it was just say from some location in France to another location in France or from some location in UK to another location in UK which would have been short distance due to the small size of the countries "and probably better/lower error transmission circuits" the TCP speed was affected much less.

Pib,

we are waiting test results from your new AIS 50/10 (with and without vpn)

Yes, you are, but the scheduled install is not until this coming Friday morning/1 July assuming I don't get a call before from AIS saying, Whoops your home is not in our coverage area after all or the installation in my moobaan they began 6-12 months ago is not complete enough to begin hooking up individual homes.

My home is approx 225 meters from the AIS trunk line and what may a junction box up on the pole...I've stepped it off twice. I was a little concerned that might be too far for a fibre run but after watching below Youtube video of an AIS Fibre install I'm not concerned about that anymore as the video showed the dbm lost per kilometer (really low) and the installation in this video was at least as far away as my home hookup would be. I do have one more concern as to if the final X-meters will be fibre or xDSL as the Fibre modem on display at the AIS Service Center didn't have a fibre input connector; instead it had a DSL input connector.

But hopefully it will turn out the fibre does run all the way to my house, will terminate in a special box on my house wall, then the final "few" meters will be a premade fibre cable. The video shows the final few meters from that special box to the router is a premanufactured fiber. Will just have to wait and see. Maybe the AIS Fibre router they had on display was a model meant for the last X-meters to be xDSL maybe used in highrises/condos where they may need to connect to the building's central wiring panel and they also have one with a Fibre input when fibre can be run all the way like to a detached home. I dunno, but I should know by midday Friday if the installation occurs as scheduled. If it does, I'll provide some speed test results Friday evening and/or during the weekend.

Well, AIS called today at 4pm/today to confirm the installation tomorrow/Friday at around 12pm/noon. So, I went and drilled a small hole threw my window's 5 inch thick wooden frame so they can run the fibre into the house at that point...right next to where my True DOCSIS cable comes in. Sure hope the install does occur tomorrow versus the installation tech showing up and saying No-Can-Do for some reason.

I have finally figured out how to use the AIS Fibre coverage area identification map and it shows my moobaan has AIS Fibre coverage but you go outside the moobaan 100 meters to other housing and business areas there is no coverage. Others might want to give the coverage map area a try....just maybe you are in the AIS Fibre coverage area.

If you want to see if AIS Fibre coverage exists in your area, go to this AIS webpage, click Check/Register AIS Fibre, then enter your mobile number or just make several typos in entering the number as it just has to be some number accepted as a Thailand mobile number. You will then be taken to a page where you can enter your address or use the Map Location selection---use the Select Location via Map. Now zoom into your location on the map, then click the "Pen" icon which is the bottom icon on the left side of the map, that pin will turn Green, and then use your mouse cursor to click on your residence specific location on the map. Just like using Google Earth. Give it around 5 seconds to respond and a Green Pen location marker should appear on the map and a Search Result box should pop up giving an approx address with a box to click that says "Check Your Coverage Area." Click that Check Your Coverage Area box and it will tell you whether you are in the AIS Fibre coverage area or not.

Hope I don't get a No-Can-Do answer when the installation tech shows up tomorrow which means I will need to patch the window frame hole I drilled. tongue.png

Sounds kinda like my first credit card order with AliExpress for a battery.

<snip>

I opened a Kasikorn "Savings Deposit" account with Internet Access specifically because you can apply for a "Shopping Card" which is a virtual VISA card. You get all the numbers needed to buy stuff on the Internet, but you don't get an actual piece of plastic.

So far, I've bought stuff from AliExpress, Lazada and InvadeIT with it.

When I submitted the cancellation request they tried hard in reply emails to keep me as a customer....like give us anther chance with out tech support, etc., but the replies were not of the tone they were delaying/were going to be hard to get a refund from them. I told them no on the additional tech support as I had already used their tech support in multiple chats working the problem. They then processed the refund without further resistance, told me they hope I consider coming back as a customer, and I had the refund to PayPal and onward to my PayPal source of payment which was a credit card within 24 hours. There was no delay in the refund fully

Boy, I wish they showed some of that love to me. I *want* to purchase their service. I was very happy with their product. But, even after "Oscar" from the online chat assured me that he would contact [email protected] and have them expedite my situation, another 24 hours have passed with not a peep from them. sad.png

Due to the transactions with PureVPN, my credit card company has been bristling about unauthorized activity on my card, have been calling my family in the USA and e-mailing me, even though I called the card provider and assured them all was well. <sigh>

Sounds kinda like my first credit card order with AliExpress for a battery.

<snip>

I opened a Kasikorn "Savings Deposit" account with Internet Access specifically because you can apply for a "Shopping Card" which is a virtual VISA card. You get all the numbers needed to buy stuff on the Internet, but you don't get an actual piece of plastic.

So far, I've bought stuff from AliExpress, Lazada and InvadeIT with it.

Yes, I can see why AliExpress wouldn't want validation of a Thailand card used to buy/ship stuff to your Thailand address. But in my case it was a U.S. card with my address registered in the U.S. but I was shipping to my Bangkok Thailand home. As mentioned earlier the charge cleared Visa and my U.S. card-issuing bank (they were not concerned), but it was AliExpress that wanted more validation...guess they have got burnt a lot with fraudulent use of cards.

I remember on time about 15 years ago when still living in the U.S. I got a call from Bank of America regarding a Visa card online order (for a book) made in Spain. They said the transaction had been flagged as a possible fraudulent transaction and was still setting in Pending status and before proceeding to Posting they wanted to confirm whether I had made the order or not. I said no, it wasn't me. They then cancelled that transaction, cancelled my card, and they got a new card to me within a week. But that's an example of my card-issuing bank spotting a fraudulent transaction within minutes of it occurring...well, before me. In my AliExpress example that was just AliExpress getting concerned when doing a manual/human review within 24 hours of the order being initially and automatically accepted.

Sounds like wpcoe's case it sounds like "maybe" PureVPN got concerned with the transaction and cancelled the transaction in such a way it makes it look like it was Visa/Mastercard/his card-issuing bank making the cancellation....and it would only be the PureVPN Billing Dept that could confirm for sure versus talking to their Sales or Support folks which is who you get on Chat sessions. Or, maybe for some reason Visa/Mastercard/card issuing bank flagged the transaction, but from his description it sounds like PureVPN kicked back the transaction after further review. That's my guess of the day subject to a high probability of being wrong.

When I submitted the cancellation request they tried hard in reply emails to keep me as a customer....like give us anther chance with out tech support, etc., but the replies were not of the tone they were delaying/were going to be hard to get a refund from them. I told them no on the additional tech support as I had already used their tech support in multiple chats working the problem. They then processed the refund without further resistance, told me they hope I consider coming back as a customer, and I had the refund to PayPal and onward to my PayPal source of payment which was a credit card within 24 hours. There was no delay in the refund fully

Boy, I wish they showed some of that love to me. I *want* to purchase their service. I was very happy with their product. But, even after "Oscar" from the online chat assured me that he would contact [email protected] and have them expedite my situation, another 24 hours have passed with not a peep from them. sad.png

Due to the transactions with PureVPN, my credit card company has been bristling about unauthorized activity on my card, have been calling my family in the USA and e-mailing me, even though I called the card provider and assured them all was well. <sigh>

Whenever I was going through my refund on my first go with PureVPN the emails from them came for the [email protected] email address although a real person signed each email with first and last name. And in some of the PayPal confirmation emails within that PayPal email there was a PureVPN merchant email address of "[email protected]" that you might want to give a try....maybe an email to that address would go directly to their Billing Department who could better clarify what went wrong. Good luck.

OK...I installed on the PureVPN app on my Android Samusng S4. And in order to get to the setting you must first logon to your PureVPN account....so unless you have an account you can't get to the setting to check if the app defaults to UDP or TCP. OK, I log onto my account...check the settings...the default is UDP. See I told you I just wasn't sure as it had been weeks since I initially installed the app on other Android machines.

I now want to do some speedtests. I first try Singapore but just can't get an IP address issued...it would make the initial connection but never issue an IP address. Maybe I'll check later by instead of using my home True connection I try the connection via DTAC 3G. Maybe it just a True issue. So, I tried Kuala Lumpar and U.S. connection instead....I can make those connections.

IMPORTANT NOTE: even though I had checked my PureVPN app setting before making the connection to confirm it was set to UDP, on my "first" actual connection I noticed for a half a second while making the connection a message appeared saying making a TCP connection. After making the connection I checked my PureVPN setting again and see it had switched from UDP to TCP. I ran the speedtest using TCP, then changed the setting to UDP, reconnected, it made a UDP connection and I ran that test. And when then moving on to doing the UDP/TCP test to the U.S. it always made the type of connection I told it too, that is, either UDP or TCP. I'm just wonder if on the first "actual" connection you make after installing the app and even though it's settings say it's going to use a UDP connection, it might instead make a TCP connection for whatever reason. But after first use it will make whatever connection you tell it to do. Or maybe it was just a glitch that happened to me....if so, maybe the same glitch happened to touch and he had just been making a TCP connection each time. So, be sure to watch the message as it connects and after it connects go into the settings to ensure you got whatever connection, UDP or TCP, you really wanted.

Below are the results for testing UDP and TCP....for the Kualu Lumpar UDP/TCP connection I tested to the Testmy.net Singapore server. For the U.S. UDP/TCP connection I tested to the Testmy.net Dallas Texas server. I used the Download Manaul 25MB file size for all test. Tests run around 10:45am

Kuala Lumpar

UDP - 9.0Mb

TCP - 4.5Mb (seems similar to my other tests where TCP is just a lot slower)

U.S.

UDP - 8.1Mb

TCP - 1.0Mb (really slow...saw that yesterday in another test I posted when testing UDP/TCP to the U.S.)

Hi Pib Thanks for that. It might very well be that I somehow got a TCP connection. A bit strange that the "Support" guys didn't mention anything about that setting.

I hope your installation goes forward as planned today and I'm going to sit back and wait for your speed test result using Android.biggrin.png

As i mentioned earlier in this thread when I first got my AIS Fibre installation done I only got around 2 mbit download from San Jose. After talking with NOC at AIS they said it was a routing problem and it took a couple of days to fix it. After they fixed of the routing my average download on Testmy.net is now 18.8 mbit.

So that we can get back to the main topic (actually using a VPN), I am happy to report that PureVPN and I have kissed and made up. clap2.gif

But, that's what I thought the first time and four days later my account was closed, so ...

PureVPN said it was their third-party credit card handler who (belatedly?) flagged my transaction as fraudulent. PureVPN asked me to send them a photo of my VISA card (I scanned it) with the last four digits and my name readable, but the rest of the info obscurred, which I did. Then they advised me to purchase a new package and assured me I'll be okay. <fingers crossed>

So that we can get back to the main topic (actually using a VPN), I am happy to report that PureVPN and I have kissed and made up. clap2.gif

But, that's what I thought the first time and four days later my account was closed, so ...

PureVPN said it was their third-party credit card handler who (belatedly?) flagged my transaction as fraudulent. PureVPN asked me to send them a photo of my VISA card (I scanned it) with the last four digits and my name readable, but the rest of the info obscurred, which I did. Then they advised me to purchase a new package and assured me I'll be okay. <fingers crossed>

Ah, they did the AliExpress type card validation probably due to address concerns between the card's registered address (probably U.S.) and you order/payment coming from Thailand where they probably picked up on your Thailand IP address. Or, even if using another VPN connection/service to place the order the card handler picked up on the the VPN connection possibly hiding your true location (kinda like how Netflix is blocking suspected VPN connections for streaming).

So many ways for a person's IP address/info flowing from their connection for the merchant/bank/Visa/Mastercard to "deduct" from the info if there is the possibility of a fraudulent transaction being attempted. Like using Whoer.net info on their Lite and Extended Version tabs to look at all the data that can be seen about a connection and use that various data to do some "deductive evaluation/reasoning."

Glad you got things worked out. I hope my AIS Fibre connection works out....it 11:20am now....they said they would show up around noon. STOP...STOP...the just showed up....5 people...gotta go..

OK....I'm hooked up with AIS Fibre 50/10....one of the first in my moobaan according to the installers and the first in my area of the moobaan. Fibre all the way to the router....approx a 230 meter fibre run from the AIS fibre trunk line to my home. Took them approx 2.5 hours to get it all hooked up and demonstrated use of the router and TV setup box...also included me signing paperwork. Most of the time was spent running the 230 meter long fibre run along poles and attaching to my house. And of course me setting up some initial logon credentials so I can go tinker with router settings later. Zero money required today. I have yet to pay a stang. I thought during the signup at the True Service Center on Monday they said I would need to pay approx Bt503 on hookup day, but apparently I misunderstand.

Below are a few speedtests using Speedtest.net to Bangkok, Singapore, LA, and London at approx 2:15pm today. Later I will provide more speedtests using Testmy.net, with and without VPN. Below are "without" VPN....just a normal connection.

Bangkok to Bangkok

5444776675.png

Bangkok to Singapore

5444782134.png

Bangkok To Los Angeles

5444785646.png

Bangkok to London

5444789934.png

OK, my next few posts I will focus on some speedtests, non-VPN and VPN, I did today after having AIS Fibre 50Mb down/10Mb up installed.

First three Testmy.net Combined tests (non-VPN) run to their Singapore, Los Angeles, and London servers a little after 7pm tonight/Friday.

Test to Singapore run at 7:10pm

post-55970-0-85106200-1467375762_thumb.j

Test to Los Angeles run at 7:11pm

post-55970-0-63965000-1467375773_thumb.j

Test to London run at 7:15pm

post-55970-0-53428400-1467375780_thumb.j

Those would seem to be excellent results, Pib, especially for NON-VPN international connections.

I can get those kinds of results via my VPN, but nothing even close to those DL speeds from the U.S. with 3BB direct, even with their 100/10 plan.

Welcome to the "modern" world. tongue.png

OK, here some Testmy.net Download Manual 25MB file size tests "with and without VPN" speedtests done today/Friday at around 3:45pm to 4:30pm with the AIS Fibre 50/10. Pay close attention to the testing conditions as to whether it was non-VPN, with VPN, and/or the location of the VPN connection.

And for each reading you see below it's an "average of 4 readings" as I just didn't want to take one reading to a location and assume that's the norm because speedtests can literally vary from second to second, minute to minute, etc. For example the Singaopre 44.8Mb result below was the average of the four following results I got: 39.2, 46.2, 47.7, and 46.0Mb for an average of 44.8Mb

No VPN Conection With VPN Conection to Singapore Only (letting that Singapore VPN connection reach out to the world)

Singapore 44.8Mb 50.8Mb

Los Angeles 29.8Mb 24.5Mb

New York 20.8Mb 16.9Mb

London 18.6Mb 26.3Mb

With VPN Connections to Singapore, Los Angeles, New York, or London and then using the Singapore/LA/NY/London Testmy.net test servers as appropriate.

- VPN Connection to Singapore and Testmy.net Singapore Server: 50.8Mb

- VPN Connection to LA and Testmy.net Los Angeles Server: 5.9Mb (just slow...and that was the average of 4.5, 4.2, 6.7, and 8.3Mb readings)

- VPN Conneciton to NY and Testmy.net New York server: 14.8Mb

- VPN Connection to London and Testmy.net London server: 22.8Mb

Seems unless I specifically need a certain country's IP Address but still wanting a VPN connection then just making a VPN connection at Singapore would generally provide better VPN speed, especially to the U.S. west coast. I do some more testing with a connection specifically to LA and see if the results improve. Otherwise I'll just use a "non-VPN" connection or VPN connection via Singapore.

Tomorrow I'll do some non-VPN and VPN tests using my Android devices to compliment above tests done with my Windows laptop.

So far, the AIS Fibre 50/10 seems to be working well...but time will tell regarding reliability, additional speed tests, and other possible issues.

Those would seem to be excellent results, Pib, especially for NON-VPN international connections.

I can get those kinds of results via my VPN, but nothing even close to those DL speeds from the U.S. with 3BB direct, even with their 100/10 plan.

Welcome to the "modern" world. tongue.png

Yea, I'm happy with the results so far. And since I use a Wifi connection within my house 99.9% of the time since I have the internet connections coming in upstairs to the master bedroom but use my laptops and Android devices all over the house (1st and 2nd stories), I expect having a 100Mb plan like you have would be wasted on me since I'm sure my Wifi routers and laptops/tablets/smartphones would struggle doing speed much above 50Mb.

Plus, after surfing with the 50Mb plan for a few hours such as to news websites such as the Bangkok Post, CNN, BBC, etc., I can tell the pages fully load "a little" faster than my True DOCSIS 15Mb plan...come Saturday and Sunday evening will be more of a test as those two evenings/nights with some many users a person can definitely feel the browsing slow down...or at least I could on my True 15Mb plan until I made a VPN connection to Singapore.

But one thing I have noticed in uploading those attachments/images to my above posts the AIS 10Mb upload speed makes the uploads happen almost instantaneously compared to my slower True 1.5Mb upload plan.

Archived