Using VPN to Speedup Your Internet International Speed

Pib

Once you're connected, you can use the following website to check just what location IP address you're being provided.

http://www.iplocation.net/

The reason I asked is, usually for streaming video from the U.S., a lot of commercial sites there require you to have/show a U.S. IP address, i.e., the content is geo-restricted to U.S. residents. But you mentioned using VPN servers in HK and SG.

There are a few VPN services that have so-called virtual servers, where their actual servers might be located regionally in SG or HK, but those servers actually provide a U.S. IP address. Those are great if your VPN service provides them, because you get a U.S. IP address, but the speed of a regionally local connection. Best of both worlds.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

I guess local IP addresses, because the testmy net result shows a local ISP.

Doesn't that mean it is a local IP address?

My current IP connected to HK server is 119.81.164.42

That's providing you a HK IP address... In general, for folks in Thailand, SG servers usually are going to be faster than HK servers, in my experience, because Thailand has faster/larger direct internet connectivity with SG.

But, it's still not providing you with a U.S. or UK IP address. Whether you need that or not is something only you can know. Just depends on whether the content you want to stream is geo-restricted or not.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's providing you a HK IP address... In general, for folks in Thailand, SG servers usually are going to be faster than HK servers, in my experience, because Thailand has faster/larger direct internet connectivity with SG.

But, it's still not providing you with a U.S. or UK IP address. Whether you need that or not is something only you can know. Just depends on whether the content you want to stream is geo-restricted or not.

You can select a server in the US for that,  they have11 locations in the US. I selected Washington and got 4.8Mb to San Fransisco server

You also can pay extra for a personal IP, in which you can select server whatever you want, but get the IP from the country you prefer.

HK gives me better results than SG

• 2 months later...

You can correct me if I am wrong, but as a rule, throttling occurs on the network not the native side however it would be too difficult to handle, which, as it says Mac address tracking, seems like there is a little, which is mainly for marketing purposes. In the past a throttling was controlled by a proxy server. However it is better to take a best vpn for bypass ISP throttling. Resource that i found: https://www.vpnranks.com/bypass-isp-throttling  

• 4 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:57 PM, Pib said:

If you mean the Bangkok VPN server available with PureVPN, I did try it but it was no faster than a regular connection. Guess even PureVPN's server in Thailand gets choked by the Thailand ISPs.

But maybe you mean "VPN Thailand" as another VPN Service Provider?

I am confused

So we have internal Thailand net infrastructure then we have the International Pipe that leaves Thailand, surely no matter what you use from within Thailand you are going to be limited by the International Pipe whether you use a VPN or not, ok it could be that the VPN tunnel is bypassing some gateway service that is functioning through your isp to limit international bandwidth or throttle it 

Maybe you can explain how this works and how you are getting the results

39 minutes ago, smedly said:

I am confused

So we have internal Thailand net infrastructure then we have the International Pipe that leaves Thailand, surely no matter what you use from within Thailand you are going to be limited by the International Pipe whether you use a VPN or not, ok it could be that the VPN tunnel is bypassing some gateway service that is functioning through your isp to limit international bandwidth or throttle it 

Maybe you can explain how this works and how you are getting the results

I just tested mine to SNG server and without VPN was getting 25mbps down, slower using VPN 17mbps,

but I have to say that when downloading (certain things) I get 48mbps (4.5Mbs) on a regular basis

3BB VDSL 50/15

10 hours ago, smedly said:

I just tested mine to SNG server and without VPN was getting 25mbps down, slower using VPN 17mbps,

but I have to say that when downloading (certain things) I get 48mbps (4.5Mbs) on a regular basis

3BB VDSL 50/15

Do you subscribe to 3BB's "Inter" add-on for B200, or is it just the plain, naked VDSL plan?

Archived