Using VPN to Speedup Your Internet International Speed

Pib

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I found out when shopping for a new VPN provider by googling, coming across various sites that advertise VPN providers, going to the actual VPN providers websites, etc., is many of them have brief promotions with truly deep reductions from their normal price.

One thing I found last year was that the "Black Friday" period the day after Thanksgiving is also a good time to be buying or renewing VPN packages. Last year, virtually all of the VPN providers I was looking at had major promotions and discounts available during that period, and by that, I mean bigger and real discounts compared to their normal "discounts".

I get great speed with Singapore VPN over 3BB 50/10 mbit day or night, normal day or weekend. They don't throttle (much) against Singapore.

I do to usually with my lowly True DOCSIS 15Mb/1.5Mb plan, but it'a reaching out beyond Singapore that things slow down unless maybe using a flash-based/OOKLA speedtester like Speedtest.net that all too often gives glorious (high) results anywhere you test to.

A few minutes ago around 2pm, it did some more speedtests using the testmy.net Manual Download 25MB File Size test using a VPN connection and no VPN connection. I tested to Singapore, LA, and NY But in the tests when on the VPN connection I only used a Signapore VPN connection when speed testing to Sing, LA, and NY....I did not make VPN connections to LA and NY...just at Singapore. The Singapore VPN connection is acting like the middle man doing all the heavy lifting in reaching out to the world. Below are the results.

With VPN at Singapore With No VPN Connection

Singapore 25.2Mb 13.5Mb

LA 17.0Mb 2.7Mb (ouch)

NY 13.8Mb 1.8Mb (bigger ouch)

While it seems lines from Thailand to Singapore generally allow good speed even without VPN, it's the reaching out beyond Singapore where the slow down might occur, how a person's internet service provider routes the path which apparently VPN can alter to a better/faster path, and just other internet magic I wish I could understand but don't. Preaching to the choir I know.

Don't feel bad, Pib. My 3BB 100/10 Mbps service was providing an approx. 2 Mbps connection to TestMy's West Coast servers the other day when I tested it on my desktop PC with a direct ethernet connection to my router.

Of course, when I turned on a PPTP VPN within Windows on that PC, that same connection tested at 50+ Mbps.

The VPN does not make your connection faster on its own. If it turns out to be faster it is probably because the servers used by the VPN are not as heavily used and hence are faster to access.

In short you are cutting the slow servers out of your connection link.

Caution using VPN...

VPN is legal in Thailand, however, if you accidentally click on a web site that has been blocked by the Thai Government; you have committed a serious crime.angry.gif

If you are using VPN, you would not see the blocked site.annoyed.gif

Keep that in mind.

How would they know?

I've got about as much respect for such restrictions as ones in China or North Korea.

Where's that testing to? And I thought 3BB fiber just had a max upload of 10Mb with their 100Mb down/10Mb up plan...but above speed test shows 27Mb.

This was to San Jose CA.. This is slow for me as 3BB upgraded me to 100/40 to compete with True's deal which I think is 25/10 for 200 B less...

Exactly what I was thinking ! so i was right, no vpn can speed your connection ! It is even weird that someone could even think that it is possible...

The VPN does not make your connection faster on its own. If it turns out to be faster it is probably because the servers used by the VPN are not as heavily used and hence are faster to access.

Where's that testing to? And I thought 3BB fiber just had a max upload of 10Mb with their 100Mb down/10Mb up plan...but above speed test shows 27Mb.

This was to San Jose CA.. This is slow for me as 3BB upgraded me to 100/40 to compete with True's deal which I think is 25/10 for 200 B less...

OK...that explains that.

Give Testmy.net a try to San Francisco. Just go to testmy.net, select servers up in the right hand corner of the screen, set the testmy.net server to test to as SF or LA (SF is closer to San Jose which you tested to with the other speedtester), then do the Combined test to test download and upload speed automatically. Would be interested in what testmy.net gives you as it an HTML5 speedtester compared to a fooled easy OOKLA/flash-based tester which I think your previous tester is.

True does not have 25/10 package, TOT fiber has it.

So they are giving you 100/40 premium bandwdith for 1200 baht + vat ??

Regardless of the reason, the VPN "does" speed up you connection in many cases. It sure does for me and numerous other posters. Turn off the VPN connection and your speed to most international sites will slow down depending on your individual internet service provider.

Exactly what I was thinking ! so i was right, no vpn can speed your connection ! It is even weird that someone could even think that it is possible...

Can you explain me how a vpn can speed your Internet ? The date still have to go through Thai isp, so how ?

It is simple really. Connection to Singapore is plenty and cheap. They don't limit your speed against Singapore.

So when you use singapore vpn, Thailand to Singapore you get max (or very high) speed. From Singapore to rest of the world is usually fast.

And can you give us the webpage for 3BB's 100/40 plan. All I see is their 100/10 plan. You sure you are not talking "AIS" 100/40 which cost Bt3990/mo.

Can you explain me how a vpn can speed your Internet ? The date still have to go through Thai isp, so how ?

It is simple really. Connection to Singapore is plenty and cheap. They don't limit your speed against Singapore.

So when you use singapore vpn, Thailand to Singapore you get max (or very high) speed. From Singapore to rest of the world is usually fast.

And for me although I've just been using the Singapore VPN connection to reach out to the rest of the world, if I do a test say to the U.S. west coast with "no" VPN connection it will be a lot slower than if a do a VPN connection to LA....Singapore not involved in this case.

Yes, whatever the reason, VPN will make you connection faster in many cases depending on your internet service provider.

Regardless of the reason, the VPN "does" speed up you connection in many cases. It sure does for me and numerous other posters. Turn off the VPN connection and your speed to most international sites will slow down depending on your individual internet service provider.

I would love to agree with you but it doesnt. The speed is determined by the traffic on the network and the maximum switch speed. If you use a 3750 switch with fiber inserts you will still only get the maximum of the switch which is a 100 / 10 switch. Even if the switch, which I assume, is a Gb switch the data through put is still determined by Shannons theorem (Information Theory) A lot of users will give each user a smaller bandwidth and hence a slower throughput. If you dont believe it look up Shannons Theorem.

And at 8:26pm this fine Saturday night in Bangkok...I can notice a very significant difference in internet speed when browsing U.S. sites. Always happens on the Saturday and Sunday nights...and Sunday night is worst than Saturday. Just did two testmy.net Manual Download 12MB tests to LA. Just to re-mention, I have a 15Mb/1.5Mb True plan.

First image below with no VPN connection...2nd with VPN connection via Singapore. Browsing with no VPN is significantly slower than with VPN...and the speedtest results support that fact. "For whatever reason" the VPN connection is making all the difference between a slow ass connection and speedy connection to the U.S. (which is also felt when browsing) with my internet service provider (True).

No VPN

post-55970-0-37394900-1466861372_thumb.j

With VPN

post-55970-0-05209300-1466861359_thumb.j

And can you give us the webpage for 3BB's 100/40 plan. All I see is their 100/10 plan. You sure you are not talking "AIS" 100/40 which cost Bt3990/mo.

I've never seen any True home internet package that was 25/10 Mbps.... True can do plans for 20 or 30 Mbps down (at least for local connections), but I can't recall ever seeing them offer a 10 Mbps upload plan for any reasonable price. Their current lowest priced package for 10 Mbps up is 5K baht per month.

And for any True Online packages I've ever seen for more than 30 Mbps down, they're far more expensive than anything 3BB offers at present, not cheaper than 3BB.

Likewise, I've never seen nor heard of 3BB offering a 40 Mbps upload option with their 100 Mbps down fiber service.

As far as I know. any vpn will slow down. Ur speed in comparison with Direct access..

Have you read this thread from beginning to end...have you seen posted results....do you use VPN?

3BB still has their 100/30 fiber plan (2,500/month) but just for existing customers. It is expensive but it is provisioned within JasTel with a very high QoS, and is a premium service, so to speak.

Very generally speaking VPNs will potentially be slower owing to encryption/decryption (on a PC, mobile or running in a home router: takes time and payload), and loads on the VPN blade and its backbone. I think people get increased speedtest results because they are packing a tunnel which the local ISP is reluctant to shape or throttle, and it's just one download stream, so any data transitions the local ISP are near wire speed. It's not clear to me how these speedtest results emulate real-world usage - other than media streaming perhaps, but if people are happy that's all that really matters. Eventually local ISPs will be forced to take more extreme action. Also, the NLA is in the process (or it may be completed) of adding a whole host of amendments to the Compute Crimes Act, which may impact local usage of VPNs?

VPN providers are under a great deal of pressure (intellectual property/copyright) to prohibit torrents. And media streaming companies are also pressuring VPN providers to assist in identifying those who might be violating their ToS re: geo-location.

If you want to sort out peering arrangements you can look here: (3BB example) https://www.peeringdb.com/net/10555

Here are the recent (as of June 7, 2016) internet maps:

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/bandwidth.iir?Sec=bandwidth

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?nnHZtXzjeMp7AKW6g7hcmSa1mN5C39T8bDBolE1jU6BQ6mtQ+od9cogwM6DVzE8KlcgXhs61UNhG0e47u2+6jA==

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYj+MymrR55/ZVXwPUc8AVEglWgp2FLDi3qq+2nxHvMs1T+tNlo2YQV55yOiL/YLpErxVAw+Yvas08+xXVWNJBs1

As far as I know. any vpn will slow down. Ur speed in comparison with Direct access..

Have you read this thread from beginning to end...have you seen posted results....do you use VPN?

VPN speedups would seem to be due to routing to bigger pipes, i.e. Singapore, or compression, the impact of which would depend on what kind of data is being sent. No?

3BB still has their 100/30 fiber plan (2,500/month) but just for existing customers. It is expensive but it is provisioned within JasTel with a very high QoS, and is a premium service, so to speak.

Very generally speaking VPNs will potentially be slower owing to encryption/decryption (on a PC, mobile or running in a home router: takes time and payload), and loads on the VPN blade and its backbone. I think people get increased speedtest results because they are packing a tunnel which the local ISP is reluctant to shape or throttle, and it's just one download stream, so any data transitions the local ISP are near wire speed. It's not clear to me how these speedtest results emulate real-world usage - other than media streaming perhaps, but if people are happy that's all that really matters. Eventually local ISPs will be forced to take more extreme action. Also, the NLA is in the process (or it may be completed) of adding a whole host of amendments to the Compute Crimes Act, which may impact local usage of VPNs?

VPN providers are under a great deal of pressure (intellectual property/copyright) to prohibit torrents. And media streaming companies are also pressuring VPN providers to assist in identifying those who might be violating their ToS re: geo-location.

If you want to sort out peering arrangements you can look here: (3BB example) https://www.peeringdb.com/net/10555

Here are the recent (as of June 7, 2016) internet maps:

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/bandwidth.iir?Sec=bandwidth

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?nnHZtXzjeMp7AKW6g7hcmSa1mN5C39T8bDBolE1jU6BQ6mtQ+od9cogwM6DVzE8KlcgXhs61UNhG0e47u2+6jA==

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYj+MymrR55/ZVXwPUc8AVEglWgp2FLDi3qq+2nxHvMs1T+tNlo2YQV55yOiL/YLpErxVAw+Yvas08+xXVWNJBs1

The first sentence: I believe that is what happened in my case - I had the Premium 5/1 for years. I told 3BB I wanted to switch to fiber but have the same quality of service. They made the physical switch and there was no interruption or change in my billing timing or pricing.

TOT FTTH connection using PIA VPN. Generally I find Hong Kong gives me a better result that Singapore. Though that isn't the case today.

With VPN to Singapore

post-215766-0-80328800-1466910242_thumb.

With VPN to Hong Kong

post-215766-0-36322400-1466910239_thumb.

With VPN to California (Silicon Valley)

post-215766-0-95249800-1466910240_thumb.

With No VPN - Direct connection from BKK

post-215766-0-82609800-1466910237_thumb.

It's not clear to me how these speedtest results emulate real-world usage - other than media streaming perhaps, but if people are happy that's all that really matters.

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but in terms of "real world" usage, streaming video and audio tend to account for the largest single consumer use of Internet bandwidth these days. So I'd say streaming performance, as measured by reliable speedtests, is a pretty important indicator of service.

In the U.S., streaming audio and video downloads now account for about 70% of primetime home-based internet download traffic. And the comparable figure is about 40% for mobile download traffic, again, the single largest usage.

http://www.recode.net/2015/12/7/11621218/streaming-video-now-accounts-for-70-percent-of-broadband-usage

And meanwhile from Variety, based on a somewhat earlier report:

BitTorrent usage continues to decline as a percentage of total fixed-access bandwidth, and now accounts for only 6.3% of total traffic in North America — down from 31% in 2008. However, overall bandwidth usage has grown over that time, so that doesn’t necessarily mean torrent activity in absolute terms has dropped.

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-bandwidth-usage-internet-traffic-1201507187/

Archived